PDA

View Full Version : The Mark Harlan thread

LA Ute
04-09-2019, 04:32 PM
A couple of people suggested that we have a thread on Mark Harlan. Here it is. He seems like a good leader, and he's very focused on fundraising. Good. The U needs that.

UTEopia
04-09-2019, 07:57 PM
I hope he is focused on fund raising. I think that was one area where Chris Hill was lacking. While I did not know Hill well, I did have a some direct and indirect interactions with him. I probably sent him more e-mails than I would like to admit. I cannot recall one instance in which he did not reply. While some replies were very general, others addressed some of the things I addressed. He even phoned me a couple of times to discuss what I had said.

I have already sent Harlan a few e-mails. He has yet to provide even a cursory reply.

mpfunk
04-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Is he possibly focused on fundraising to pay a buyout? Just curious.

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Is he possibly focused on fundraising to pay a buyout? Just curious.

He wants to pay for the stadium expansion and to provide subsidies for loyal Utah message board members. Mostly for the stadium.

concerned
04-11-2019, 08:36 AM
He wants to pay for the stadium expansion and to provide subsidies for loyal Utah message board members. Mostly for the stadium.

I get paid to toe the party line here. You don't?

DrumNFeather
04-11-2019, 09:20 AM
He does a weekly segment with Bill Riley. Unfortunately, the depth of the questions often extends to "What's for lunch?"

SoCalPat
04-11-2019, 12:03 PM
I hope he is focused on fund raising. I think that was one area where Chris Hill was lacking. While I did not know Hill well, I did have a some direct and indirect interactions with him. I probably sent him more e-mails than I would like to admit. I cannot recall one instance in which he did not reply. While some replies were very general, others addressed some of the things I addressed. He even phoned me a couple of times to discuss what I had said.

I have already sent Harlan a few e-mails. He has yet to provide even a cursory reply.

Interesting, given Harlan is a million times more engaged with the fanbase on Twitter than Hill ever was.

LA Ute
04-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Interesting, given Harlan is a million times more engaged with the fanbase on Twitter than Hill ever was.

Chris was very suspicious and leery about anything internet-related. That’s just who he is. I’m glad Harlan is not.

UTEopia
04-11-2019, 03:12 PM

He tweets a fair amount, but I haven't seen him engage with fans other than sending out tweets congratulating teams and individuals.

LA Ute
06-09-2019, 07:03 PM
‘Until you live it ... it’s not real.’ Utah AD Mark Harlan looks back on his first year with the Utes.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/06/07/until-you-live-it-its/

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Harlan has been appointed to the football oversight committee as the Pac-12 representative until 2023.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/7/22/general-harlan-appointed-to-ncaa-division-i-football-oversight-committee.aspx?path=general (https://utahutes.com/news/2019/7/22/general-harlan-appointed-to-ncaa-division-i-football-oversight-committee.aspx?path=general)

Diehard Ute
07-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Apparently athletics, which of course means Harlan in the end, has decided the U no longer needs a mental performance coach. So Nicole Dietling is leaving.

She succeeded the legendary Keith Henschen. Every athlete and coach I’ve known at the U has raved about the access and assistance these two brought to the U. Seems like a very poor decision from administration (who also has added more admin recently)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sancho
07-24-2019, 09:04 PM
(who also has added more admin recently)

I think university admin exists solely to add more admin.

By the way, I'm guessing you all saw LSU's ridiculous new facilities. Once again, when I'm in charge of the NCAA, there will be a salary cap for coaches and ADs, and 90% of athletic department revenue will need to go outside the athletic department. I'm convinced that instead of paying the players more, we should be paying everyone else less. The alternative is a gradual creep towards a professional minor league.

Also, when I'm president, I will find out what percentage of federal funds go to research grants at private universities, and I will cut that in half and send the money to public universities. The top researchers will follow the money. I will also cut federal aid to all universities for which more than x% of the salaries go to employees other than faculty. No university should need 40 people in the residence life office or 25 people in the title IX office.

What happened recently in Alaska is interesting. Most universities are absolutely bloated with unnecessary departments/faculty/admin. The Alaska funding reduction is crazy, but, man, something has to be done.

Finally, why does tenure for the arts and humanities depend on publications? There's no important research going on there. Give tenure to the best teachers. English, history, etc are places where teaching is vital and research is often unimportant. Plus, research in those fields requires very little funding anyway.

LA Ute
07-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Apparently athletics, which of course means Harlan in the end, has decided the U no longer needs a mental performance coach. So Nicole Dietling is leaving.

She succeeded the legendary Keith Henschen. Every athlete and coach I’ve known at the U has raved about the access and assistance these two brought to the U. Seems like a very poor decision from administration (who also has added more admin recently)

This is just a guess because I know nothing about this situation, but I would not be surprised to see that same job responsibility, perhaps with a different title, given to another similarly qualified person sometime in the next year.

Diehard Ute
07-25-2019, 04:03 PM
This is just a guess because I know nothing about this situation, but I would not be surprised to see that same job responsibility, perhaps with a different title, given to another similarly qualified person sometime in the next year.

All well and good, but again the U is losing the perception and PR battle.

Diehard Ute
07-25-2019, 04:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190725/eb9f24ce7732d94f2091fd86c65eb9af.jpg

Case in point (and he’s certainly not the only athlete weighing in, far from it)

Diehard Ute
07-25-2019, 06:23 PM
So they’ve hired a new guy, who has little experience, but a lot of education....he’s worked 1 year at BYU and one at USU.

He may be good, but I still believe the U botched the transition

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
So they’ve hired a new guy, who has little experience, but a lot of education....he’s worked 1 year at BYU and one at USU.

He may be good, but I still believe the U botched the transition

There’s some more (one-sides) information in this thread. Sounds like Utah went for the BOGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
07-26-2019, 02:44 PM
There’s some more (one-sides) information in this thread. Sounds like Utah went for the BOGO.

Goodness, I'm beginning to see why Dr Nicole was fired. So whiny.

LA Ute
07-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Goodness, I'm beginning to see why Dr Nicole was fired. So whiny.

Going on Twitter to trash your successor is not a good luck.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Nor is it a good look. Consider that bridge, burned. Seems like she should talk to someone to help her get her head right. :dunno:

LA Ute
07-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Nor is it a good look.

Stop making fun of my Great Basin accent.

Diehard Ute
07-26-2019, 03:51 PM

No.

But I also think she has some valid points.

And you must admit, PR at the U has been....questionable in the last year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2019, 03:55 PM
No.

But I also think she has some valid points.

And you must admit, PR at the U has been....questionable in the last year.

I don’t think anyone would argue against this point.

sancho
07-26-2019, 04:13 PM
Seems like she should talk to someone to help her get her head right. :dunno:

Maybe a mental health professional.

chrisrenrut
08-15-2019, 08:28 PM

This twitter thread has another perspective on this transition:

Link since I can't get it to embed for some reason: https://twitter.com/GwilliUte/status/1162122938016862208?s=20