PDA

View Full Version : Random chat thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

U-Ute
11-06-2017, 08:28 AM
To be fair, all 4 of my tickets worked. So nothing to complain about other than a confusing UI bug.

U-Ute
11-06-2017, 09:32 AM
If I'm not a bush then I'm not no one."

Z9LlEIDJL08

Words to live by.

U-Ute
12-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Epic rant. It is hard to argue with any of this.

U-Ute
12-07-2017, 01:18 PM
The perfect Christmas present for those toddlers who don't have enough nightmares in their lives.

tEKF94GGVUM

Scratch
12-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Epic rant. It is hard to argue with any of this.

Unfortunately it's fake. Or I should say it's a character. The same guy did one in San Clemente last year asking for a statue of Paul Walker. In any event, it's pretty dang funny.

BTW, the name he uses, Chad Kroeger, is the name of the singer from Nickelback.

Applejack
12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately it's fake. Or I should say it's a character. The same guy did one in San Clemente last year asking for a statue of Paul Walker. In any event, it's pretty dang funny.

BTW, the name he uses, Chad Kroeger, is the name of the singer from Nickelback.

The Walker one was better.

Rocker Ute
12-07-2017, 03:05 PM
The perfect Christmas present for those toddlers who don't have enough nightmares in their lives.

tEKF94GGVUM

This kind of reminds me of a wedding gift we got. Somebody gave us a bunny that when you squeezed it said, "Some Bunny Loves You!" Not really our style we stuck it immediately in our creepy basement storage of our old house. It sat down there for a couple of years unnoticed until one night I went into the storage area in the dark to grab something quickly and as I was in there all of the sudden I hear from the shelf, "Some Bunny loves you!" Scared the crap out of me.

After a second I realized that I was still alone in the storage room and what it was so I sat there to see if it was just randomly saying it because the battery was low or something. Nothing. I took it out and brought it upstairs with me to see if it would do it again and it never did. To this day, just thinking of it creeps me out.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-07-2017, 04:51 PM
This kind of reminds me of a wedding gift we got. Somebody gave us a bunny that when you squeezed it said, "Some Bunny Loves You!" Not really our style we stuck it immediately in our creepy basement storage of our old house. It sat down there for a couple of years unnoticed until one night I went into the storage area in the dark to grab something quickly and as I was in there all of the sudden I hear from the shelf, "Some Bunny loves you!" Scared the crap out of me.

After a second I realized that I was still alone in the storage room and what it was so I sat there to see if it was just randomly saying it because the battery was low or something. Nothing. I took it out and brought it upstairs with me to see if it would do it again and it never did. To this day, just thinking of it creeps me out.

To some it is given the gift of tongues. To some it is given the interpretation of tongues. To some, the self assurance of cheap toy bunnies.

U-Ute
12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
I say we add this to our bylaws as our UB5 password strategy

sancho
12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Wow, that's just horrible.

I love how the strictest password rules are used by the things that require the least security. I sign up for a King Soopers account so I can get a coupon for something. Why do I care about the security of that account?

U-Ute
12-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Tarantino has strict rules on his set.

Warning: Audio has adult themes.

V3K3OWvZY_w

Diehard Ute
12-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Welcome to working for the government

Seriously, our new emails password rules are so complex we actually have to use sentences for passwords. Not kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
12-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Welcome to working for the government

Seriously, our new emails password rules are so complex we actually have to use sentences for passwords. Not kidding.

Actually, a gramatically incorrect sentence is a really good password.

eg: "Utah has the bestest punter"

Easy to remember, very hard to crack via script.

Diehard Ute
12-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Actually, a gramatically incorrect sentence is a really good password.

eg: "Utah has the bestest punter"

Easy to remember, very hard to crack via script.

Ours have to have punctuation.

When you have about a dozen passwords, on different schedules to be changed it starts to get confusing.

U-Ute
12-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Ours have to have punctuation.

When you have about a dozen passwords, on different schedules to be changed it starts to get confusing.

If they are websites and you can add plugins to your browser, LastPass is your friend.

Diehard Ute
12-08-2017, 06:32 PM
If they are websites and you can add plugins to your browser, LastPass is your friend.

Can’t do that. We just get good at remembering.

U-Ute
12-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Wait for it...

8nHnQQhWQVA

U-Ute
12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Data analytics gone wrong...

U-Ute
01-03-2018, 04:19 PM
A cool shot over the Rose Bowl.

U-Ute
01-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Mr. Trash Wheel is awesome.

RkQbcrzyAeE

U-Ute
01-06-2018, 10:07 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/05436aabb6de66133f044f68fcd71b14.jpg

U-Ute
01-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Sorry for including an ad, but I think it's clever.

PjzZmbdxJnE

mUUser
01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Diet Coke is making massive changes.....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/coca-cola-is-making-massive-changes-to-diet-coke/ar-BBIcYOB?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Wait......just adding some flavors. Blood Orange could be tasty. The original DC remains the same.

Rocker Ute
01-11-2018, 08:47 AM
They claim that Coke Zero tastes like real Coke. It doesn’t. However caffeine free Coke Zero remarkably does. Pro-tip for the day.

U-Ute
01-12-2018, 01:11 PM
This twitter thread is amazing.

Scorcho
01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
This twitter thread is amazing.

:rofl:

U-Ute
01-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Yesterday I learned that there is an argument on the internet around "Tankies vs Chapos"

I'm not sure how to process this new found information.

LA Ute
01-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Yesterday I learned that there is an argument on the internet around "Tankies vs Chapos"

I'm not sure how to process this new found information.

I thought tankies were modern-day Soviet apologists and El Chapo was the Mexican drug kingpin. I'm confused.

U-Ute
01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
I thought tankies were modern-day Soviet apologists and El Chapo was the Mexican drug kingpin. I'm confused.

This is what they are and they apparently are in some sort of bitter Twitter-fued.

LA Ute
01-24-2018, 06:43 AM
This is what they are and they apparently are in some sort of bitter Twitter-fued.

Hmmm. Not sure whom to cheer for in this one. Can they both lose, somehow?

U-Ute
01-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Hmmm. Not sure whom to cheer for in this one. Can they both lose, somehow?

They are arguing on Twitter. I think they already have.

U-Ute
01-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Turn up the volume for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9M226_28Y

Sullyute
01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
That made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

U-Ute
02-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Alex Trebek gets savage on these contestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zosehMZGH8

LA Ute
02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
My heart breaks for this dad and his daughters. Obviously we can’t allow people to do things like this, but something about the look on his face and on the faces of his daughters standing by him in the courtroom, just pricked at my heart.

Father Of 3 Abused Gymnasts Asks For ‘1 Minute Alone’ With Nassar, Lunges At Him In The Courtroom

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26680/watch-father-3-abused-gymnasts-asks-1-minute-alone-hank-berrien?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-podcast&utm_campaign=mattwalsh

Judge Refuses To Charge Father Who Lunged At Nassar With Contempt Of Court

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26704/judge-refuses-charge-father-who-lunged-nassar-hank-berrien

He may still be looking at assault charges.

Diehard Ute
02-03-2018, 09:03 AM
My heart breaks for this dad and his daughters. Obviously we can’t allow people to do things like this, but something about the look on his face and on the faces of his daughters standing by him in the courtroom, just pricked at my heart.

Father Of 3 Abused Gymnasts Asks For ‘1 Minute Alone’ With Nassar, Lunges At Him In The Courtroom

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26680/watch-father-3-abused-gymnasts-asks-1-minute-alone-hank-berrien?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-podcast&utm_campaign=mattwalsh

Judge Refuses To Charge Father Who Lunged At Nassar With Contempt Of Court

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26704/judge-refuses-charge-father-who-lunged-nassar-hank-berrien

He may still be looking at assault charges.

Obviously things may be different there

But here a judge couldn’t file assault charges. The city prosecutor would have to do that, and only if the victim wished to pursue charges. The judge would only have the usual court conduct charges.

LA Ute
02-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Obviously things may be different there

But here a judge couldn’t file assault charges. The city prosecutor would have to do that, and only if the victim wished to pursue charges. The judge would only have the usual court conduct charges.

If I read the piece correctly, the judge simply said she would not bring contempt of court charges against him. The prosecutor will have to decide about assault charges, as you state. My totally uneducated guess is that the prosecutor will charge him and make a plea deal with him. He won’t serve any time, nor will he be prosecuted. Maybe he will have to do some community service.

Diehard Ute
02-03-2018, 11:57 AM
If I read the piece correctly, the judge simply said she would not bring contempt of court charges against him. The prosecutor will have to decide about assault charges, as you state. My totally uneducated guess is that the prosecutor will charge him and make a plea deal with him. He won’t serve any time, nor will he be prosecuted. Maybe he will have to do some community service.

Unless they make “assault” something different there it’s at most a class B misdemeanor.

I’d guess if Nassar does wish to be a “victim” they offer a disorderly conduct type charge and offer a plea in abeyance.

LA Ute
02-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Jerry Seinfeld on "Rooting for Laundry:"

https://vimeo.com/47283296

U-Ute
02-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Intel creating new wearable technology.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

U-Ute
02-07-2018, 08:27 AM
The simultaneous landing of the boosters is something right out of Iron Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPH_i0ZlyM&amp=&feature=youtu.be&amp=&t=5 6

Skip to the :50 mark to watch the landing.

U-Ute
02-07-2018, 09:04 AM

U-Ute
02-15-2018, 09:32 AM
*dramatic music intensifies*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICdPq3kfp8

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-15-2018, 10:08 AM
*dramatic music intensifies*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICdPq3kfp8

10? 15? I lost track of how times I hit replay.

Scratch
02-15-2018, 10:19 AM
10? 15? I lost track of how times I hit replay.

The dude recording had to have screwed with the hammer, right? Why else would he be filming?

U-Ute
02-15-2018, 12:49 PM
The dude recording had to have screwed with the hammer, right? Why else would he be filming?

I was wondering about the recording too. I figured it was legit because he stopped as soon as it happened. If you set up that prank, you'd want to get the reaction. My sense was he stopped to go help.

But I could be wrong.

U-Ute
02-20-2018, 09:42 AM
This blog post is awesome:

Things I Won't Work With: Dioxygen Diflouride (http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride)

And yes, what happens next is just what you think happens: you run a mixture of oxygen and fluorine through a 700-degree-heating block. “Oh, no you don’t,” is the common reaction of most chemists to that proposal, “. . .not unless I’m at least a mile away, two miles if I’m downwind.” This, folks, is the bracingly direct route to preparing dioxygen difluoride, often referred to in the literature by its evocative formula of FOOF.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-20-2018, 11:41 AM
My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

U-Ute
02-20-2018, 11:50 AM
My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

We need some college student with too much free time to spin up a bunch of right wing FB bots that share these things with each other and anyone who likes them gets their posts hidden from anyone except the bots. Sort of like a alt-right honey pot.

U-Ute
02-26-2018, 02:15 PM

U-Ute
03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
For anyone who is nostalgic for the old internet days of GeoCities, I bring you: http://www.gifcities.org

A site that curates all the old animated gifs from GeoCities.

U-Ute
03-19-2018, 02:21 PM

LA Ute
03-19-2018, 03:56 PM

A person could get killed for doing that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-19-2018, 11:56 PM
A person could get killed for doing that.

The price of grapes this time of year make it down right criminal!

Diehard Ute
03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
The price of grapes this time of year make it down right criminal!

I got grapes for $0.99 a pound last week

U-Ute
04-09-2018, 11:52 AM
I have questions, comments, and concerns.

Sxo53Ft

EDIT: So it looks like this is the source. Complete with back story.

-da5z9jp_mc

Scorcho
04-09-2018, 11:55 AM
I have questions, comments, and concerns.

Sxo53Ft

Singles ward speed dating?

U-Ute
04-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Left here without comment. I don't know what I'd say anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Sullyute
04-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Left here without comment. I don't know what I'd say anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

I liked the music.

U-Ute
05-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Sly still owns the turtles used in the original Rocky.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiZ5d6oDfaF/?utm_source=twitter

tooblue
05-22-2018, 05:19 PM
New York judge orders man, 30, to move out of family home after parents sue ...

Is this what I have to look forward to:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/22/new-york-judge-court-man-30-parents-home

U-Ute
05-23-2018, 01:35 PM
I was watching this video with highlights of Messi scoring goals, and ran across this particular goal.

Yeah, he scored on this run. That's pretty insane.

https://youtu.be/GOHVfc-LoLc?t=302

U-Ute
05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
I never understood this trend.

Sullyute
05-25-2018, 09:48 PM
Wow, that is a low rider!

UTEopia
05-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Why are Utah's roads so bad when compared to our neighbors. I just spent the week traveling from Park City to Mesa Verde. As soon as we crossed the border into Colorado, the road was smooth with no swells or hollows. It continued to be great as far as Durango, where we stopped. We had the same experience last year when we went on I-70 to Telluride. Cross the border and the roadway is better. Traveling north the freeway is better as soon as you cross into Idaho. Freaking Idaho. Both I-80 and I-15 are better in Nevada than in Utah. Do we just have shitty contractors?

Sullyute
05-27-2018, 03:23 AM
We just need a lottery, gambling, or marijuana to increase our tax base.

Rocker Ute
05-27-2018, 06:01 PM
I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.

sancho
05-27-2018, 06:32 PM
one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation

And yet that stretch would be considered one of the better roads in New Orleans. There's always something worse!

I'm think roads are probably like climate control in large buildings - it must be much harder than we know.

Diehard Ute
05-27-2018, 07:50 PM
I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.

You can thank the former mayors for that.

They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.

Rocker Ute
05-28-2018, 07:58 AM
You can thank the former mayors for that.

They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.

Yup, SLC has been and continues to be severely mismanaged. But we do have special bike lanes now (coming from a biker - who thinks it is ridiculous, not only for the expense, but also because they never planned to string the lanes together in a useful way, so you find yourself riding along in a lane that suddenly disappears and you find yourself in the middle of some 6 lane road), and Harvey Milk Blvd.

Diehard Ute
05-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Yup, SLC has been and continues to be severely mismanaged. But we do have special bike lanes now (coming from a biker - who thinks it is ridiculous, not only for the expense, but also because they never planned to string the lanes together in a useful way, so you find yourself riding along in a lane that suddenly disappears and you find yourself in the middle of some 6 lane road), and Harvey Milk Blvd.

If you dig into the budgets, as revenues grew the expenses that grew were quite interesting.

Streets had modest growth

Police and Fire have seen modest growth. (Police until this year had not seen an increase in allowed officers since basically the 80’s)

Parks and public services have grown more than police and fire.

Non departmental spending has soared. Much of that has been services for homeless and low income folks. We’re talking $30M+

Then there’s the bike lanes. $500,000 to study and indoor farmers market. $1,000,000 a year to UTA for the ‘S Line’.

It’s quite interesting to dig through.

Rocker Ute
05-28-2018, 04:48 PM
If you dig into the budgets, as revenues grew the expenses that grew were quite interesting.

Streets had modest growth

Police and Fire have seen modest growth. (Police until this year had not seen an increase in allowed officers since basically the 80’s)

Parks and public services have grown more than police and fire.

Non departmental spending has soared. Much of that has been services for homeless and low income folks. We’re talking $30M+

Then there’s the bike lanes. $500,000 to study and indoor farmers market. $1,000,000 a year to UTA for the ‘S Line’.

It’s quite interesting to dig through.

You can probably provide your insight to this, but I've heard from various police officers that they blame much of the problem that was happening in Pioneer Park and Rio Grand with the homeless on Rocky Anderson. I can't remember enough of the details to not mess it up, but do you agree with that?

Diehard Ute
05-28-2018, 06:17 PM
You can probably provide your insight to this, but I've heard from various police officers that they blame much of the problem that was happening in Pioneer Park and Rio Grand with the homeless on Rocky Anderson. I can't remember enough of the details to not mess it up, but do you agree with that?

That’s a very simplistic view.

The way administrations can influence the way police work is an issue. The chief in SLC is an at will employee of the Mayor. He can be fired anytime for absolutely no reason. Which makes the chief sort of a puppet. (But the current chief is an excellent chief anyway)

There were many issues that lead to Rio. The reduction of drug crimes to misdemeanors, the courts rulings on camping, panhandling etc., the Sheriff restricting who could be booked in to jail, lack of resources, everyone in Utah shipping their unwanted to downtown, It’s a very complex issue.

U-Ute
06-18-2018, 11:33 AM
That's one way to do it.

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2381&stc=1

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Wow. They've really upped their game since they offered me a free pair of gym socks for joining up when I graduated from high school.
That's one way to do it.

LA Ute
07-04-2018, 01:29 PM
From Calvin Coolidge’s Independence Day speech, July 5, 1926, celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence:

“About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.”

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/speech-on-the-occasion-of-the-one-hundred-and-fiftieth-anniversary-of-the-declaration-of-independence/

U-Ute
07-20-2018, 10:46 AM
How the universe is treating me right now.

m8Kd7Lh

U-Ute
08-16-2018, 12:52 PM
I just today learned that these exist.

http://shop.allsaddles.com/tonylamatenyboots.html

Sullyute
08-16-2018, 04:15 PM
AWESOME! I just ordered a pair.

NorthwestUteFan
08-17-2018, 09:40 PM
I bought this tee shirt. I am a horrible person.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/497b1809816d2ef29581f7d3078b5963.jpg

Sullyute
08-18-2018, 03:50 PM
I bought this tee shirt. I am a horrible person.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/497b1809816d2ef29581f7d3078b5963.jpg

Lol, that is too funny.

U-Ute
08-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Me right now.

U-Ute
08-20-2018, 01:58 PM
A transistor built using a single atom.

https://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news2/newsid=50895.php

U-Ute
08-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Anyone who is looking for a career change should check this out.

https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=39354&clientkey=FD1280BCF7ABD8BE3B478BFE09294974

Knight Trainee & Squire

Description

Participate in light armor jousting
Coordinate with manager on training progress and horses conditions (lameness, attitude, etc.)
Participate in daily chores
Attend all shows and practices
Assist with getting horses tacked and ready for shows
Assist in creating feed schedules
Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment
Willing to travel and work evenings and weekends
Attendance at every show is required
Assist with armor and costume cleaning

Work Environment

The individual must be able to tolerate the scent of essential oils worn or diffused.

U-Ute
08-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Hah... interesting point.

U-Ute
09-11-2018, 11:21 AM
For Phoenix Wright fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjk5x54bsE

U-Ute
09-17-2018, 03:56 PM
I think my cat's sleep mode is broken.

LA Ute
09-17-2018, 05:03 PM
I think my cat's sleep mode is broken.

Looks comfortable to me.

U-Ute
10-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Don't you hate it when you say something as a joke and someone goes, "Hey, that's actually a good idea", forcing you to implement it?

U-Ute
10-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Behold... the TESLONDA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLzpBzUXZs&feature=youtu.be

U-Ute
10-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Cannot unsee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UDVyUzJ1g

U-Ute
10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Throwback photos of the U and Salt Lake City.

https://imgur.com/a/3noF8Uo

Here's the first one of the bunch.

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2436&stc=1

U-Ute
11-20-2018, 04:48 PM
This website is like The Onion, but for Utah.

It's amazing.

https://thedailyfrick.com/

U-Ute
01-07-2019, 11:00 AM
Under the heading of Things you didn't know you needed:

An internet connected toilet: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170575/kohler-konnect-bathroom-smart-gadgets-numi-intelligent-toilet-ces-2019

Rocker Ute
01-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Under the heading of Things you didn't know you needed:

An internet connected toilet: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170575/kohler-konnect-bathroom-smart-gadgets-numi-intelligent-toilet-ces-2019

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oxEvCCXWux4

U-Ute
01-08-2019, 02:03 PM
So apparently this happened at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8

Scorcho
01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
So apparently this happened at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8

better than last nights half-time show

U-Ute
01-09-2019, 10:05 AM
better than last nights half-time show

My 9 year old was kind of excited to watch Imagine Dragons since he likes their songs. His critique: "I like their songs on the radio better."

Diehard Ute
01-09-2019, 11:32 AM
My 9 year old was kind of excited to watch Imagine Dragons since he likes their songs. His critique: "I like their songs on the radio better."

Knowing a few people in the business I’m guessing, as with all halftime performances, they weren’t in control of their own performance

sancho
05-14-2019, 12:42 PM
There should be a luxury tax on smart phones and their data plans.

U-Ute
05-17-2019, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaQIGAh8vc

U-Ute
07-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Remember to pay your devs people, or your app may start to act a bit funny..

U-Ute
07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Best use of drone award goes to....

Neighbor retaliates being annoyed by loud music!

exaltedbonyalligator

Rocker Ute
07-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Best use of drone award goes to....

Neighbor retaliates being annoyed by loud music!

exaltedbonyalligator

:rofl: Wanna know what makes that video even more funny? When I accidentally texted it to Josh Romney (Mitt Romney's son - with whom I've had some limited business interactions) instead of my son Josh. Something tells me I won't be on the reelection campaign.

U-Ute
07-19-2019, 11:59 AM
For those who have had a long week...

1152221000244879360https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1152221000244879360https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1152221000244879360

LA Ute
07-25-2019, 10:55 PM
My son‘s company, Health Catalyst, went public today. This is good. In my old age, maybe I can live in his basement.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-health-tech-companies-join-parade-of-ipos-11564059833?emailToken=d1ad10710f12d531e4eb61b4433 2c4b9/TFJnNYC49YW3OX8OGFl2pnK97LNKxgqb/enP6zALEodYNKl9699Qmi5K1dCK2dw66e0QVCPpJWVBoSRnBwr mh+IAZg/RsxcrLTXpzk2hGE%3D&reflink=article_copyURL_share

U-Ute
08-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Things to do in Kearns....

(https://gephardtdaily.com/local/police-kearns-woman-runs-out-of-gas-driving-ex-husband-to-hospital-after-shooting-him/)Police: Kearns woman runs out of gas driving ex-husband to hospital after shooting him
https://gephardtdaily.com/local/police-kearns-woman-runs-out-of-gas-driving-ex-husband-to-hospital-after-shooting-him/ (https://gephardtdaily.com/local/police-kearns-woman-runs-out-of-gas-driving-ex-husband-to-hospital-after-shooting-him/)

U-Ute
08-15-2019, 03:48 PM
An odd story.

Apparently Trump has floated the idea of buying Greenland.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes-a-new-real-estate-purchase-greenland-11565904223?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

LA Ute
08-23-2019, 10:40 AM
An odd story.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes-a-new-real-estate-purchase-greenland-11565904223?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Dumb idea. What about the rest of the Virgin Islands? Turk and Caicos? Bermuda? C'mon, Donald, be more creative!

Diehard Ute
08-24-2019, 05:54 AM
An odd story.

The more time that goes by, the more I really wonder if Donald thinks this is all a reality show. The plot, how he became the king of America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LA Ute
08-24-2019, 08:56 AM
I’ve actually had a colleague who was like this. Everyone laughed at him.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190824/20b09453f843b57a1dc5acf58ce0fc9c.jpg

U-Ute
09-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Great snag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KNEe_2qDw

LA Ute
09-25-2019, 11:28 PM
The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-to-the-new-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!

Sullyute
09-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Looks good so far!

sancho
10-03-2019, 09:51 PM
I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.

LA Ute
10-04-2019, 05:00 AM
I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.

I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.

sancho
10-04-2019, 08:44 AM
I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.

Maybe I should stop. I like seeing the fringe ideas. The authors only live in Twitter, so they believe their ideas are mainstream. Sometimes it's frightening, though. I wonder sometimes if the crazy that I see there is an indication of what's coming. Then I feel like an old man complaining about kids these days.

concerned
10-04-2019, 09:03 AM
In this day and age, I seriously do not think you can be an informed citizen if you are not on twitter. If you do not follow Pres Trump on twitter you are in the dark. There is a lot of junk but there is a lot of serious debate about important issues.

sancho
10-04-2019, 09:24 AM
In this day and age, I seriously do not think you can be an informed citizen if you are not on twitter. If you do not follow Pres Trump on twitter you are in the dark. There is a lot of junk but there is a lot of serious debate about important issues.

Wow, I'm not sure about this. I'll think about it today. I have to think it's possible to be informed through other news sources. I don't follow the president, but I think I get the main idea anyway. I don't think I've seen any serious debate about important issues on Twitter, but I have seen links to serious debate about important issues on Twitter, which is probably what you meant? Every time I see an attempt at serious debate on Twitter itself, the dialogue is immediately drowned by an avalanche of angry tweets.

What I do see is a lot of anger-as-argument, humor-as-argument, and mockery-as-argument, especially mockery.

I mostly follow sports writers, but for news I follow the NYT, the WaPost, the Atlantic, and various op-ed writers (mostly from the NYT). Funny, I can't actually read most of the NYT and WaPost articles because they are too expensive, so I get their news from headlines. I also follow a few progressive co-workers who retweet a bunch of stuff. Who else should I be following?

concerned
10-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Wow, I'm not sure about this. I'll think about it today. I have to think it's possible to be informed through other news sources. I don't follow the president, but I think I get the main idea anyway. I don't think I've seen any serious debate about important issues on Twitter, but I have seen links to serious debate about important issues on Twitter, which is probably what you meant? Every time I see an attempt at serious debate on Twitter itself, the dialogue is immediately drowned by an avalanche of angry tweets.

What I do see is a lot of anger-as-argument, humor-as-argument, and mockery-as-argument, especially mockery.

I mostly follow sports writers, but for news I follow the NYT, the WaPost, the Atlantic, and various op-ed writers (mostly from the NYT). Funny, I can't actually read most of the NYT and WaPost articles because they are too expensive, so I get their news from headlines. I also follow a few progressive co-workers who retweet a bunch of stuff. Who else should I be following?

Immediate example: Romney just issued his statement on Trump's Ukraine and china investigations of Biden on twitter. A lot of official stuff happens on twitter, and it is increasing.

U-Ute
10-04-2019, 01:10 PM
A great podcast on how the democratization of information services has lead to increased polarization of politics because people can pick and choose their echo chambers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-how-tvs-evolution-explains-todays-politics/

A great example of this:

Rocker Ute
10-04-2019, 01:29 PM

I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)

LA Ute
10-05-2019, 08:22 AM
I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)

I liked this insight from David French:

But I think both of these quotes get the moment backwards. The moment went so viral not because forgiveness was expected or white innocence was presumed. The moment went viral because the guilt was so obvious, and rage was so understandable. The moment went so viral because it was shocking. Brandt Jean demonstrated a level of grace that most Christians (white or otherwise) simply couldn’t comprehend, and they couldn’t comprehend it because the horror inflicted on his brother was so obvious and so thoroughly unjustifiable.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/brandt-jean-act-of-forgiveness-dont-misunderstand-white-christian-reaction/?fbclid=IwAR1PJH_-qMu2Qx-3msyXQ9IToHEE5dv0VT9IhSjXewW9bydb_S9NoqEAh2Q

U-Ute
10-10-2019, 10:31 AM

sancho
10-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Follow up on last week's conversation. Now kindness appears to be joining forgiveness on the list of overrated/outdated virtues. Ellen hangs out with W, people make a mountain out of this molehill, Ellen says she believes that people can/should be kind to each other despite political differences, Ellen is blasted by people who believe kindness is not a good thing.

Is outrage the chief virtue of the secular religion? Outrage never faileth? If I seek justice and equality, but have not outrage, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal?

LA Ute
10-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Follow up on last week's conversation. Now kindness appears to be joining forgiveness on the list of overrated/outdated virtues. Ellen hangs out with W, people make a mountain out of this molehill, Ellen says she believes that people can/should be kind to each other despite political differences, Ellen is blasted by people who believe kindness is not a good thing.

Is outrage the chief virtue of the secular religion? Outrage never faileth? If I seek justice and equality, but have not outrage, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal?

I know lots of people who agree with The Hulk:

DeGeneres' plea for tolerance drew praise from some famous faces, including Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Bell and Blake Shelton, but Ruffalo said Bush isn't off the hook.

"Sorry, until George W. Bush is brought to justice for the crimes of the Iraq War, (including American-lead torture, Iraqi deaths & displacement, and the deep scars–emotional & otherwise–inflicted on our military that served his folly), we can’t even begin to talk about kindness," tweeted (https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/1182005931317583872) "The Avengers" star Wednesday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/10/09/mark-ruffalo-more-stars-slam-ellen-degeneres-support-george-bush/3926734002/

So no kindness is even proper to discuss until someone is punished for what you believe he did wrong. What a foolish thing to say.

U-Ute
10-11-2019, 09:01 AM
I know lots of people who agree with The Hulk:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/10/09/mark-ruffalo-more-stars-slam-ellen-degeneres-support-george-bush/3926734002/

So no kindness is even proper to discuss until someone is punished for what you believe he did wrong. What a foolish thing to say.

This is the primary problem in the Middle East.

The only solution is Thanos's Final Solution

mUUser
10-25-2019, 10:28 AM
The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-to-the-new-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!

Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!

Scorcho
10-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!

this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)

LA Ute
10-25-2019, 11:26 AM
this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)

This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)

sancho
10-25-2019, 01:11 PM
This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)

This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.

Rocker Ute
10-25-2019, 02:31 PM
This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.

FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-29-2019, 08:43 AM
FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?

Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?

Rocker Ute
10-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?

You need to create a new one. All new site. 100% less misogyny and brainless political banner.

U-Ute
11-11-2019, 08:40 AM
I want this guy to narrate all stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-IvYr2ShU&feature=emb_logo

U-Ute
12-09-2019, 10:38 AM
There's a story here.

sancho
12-17-2019, 05:35 PM
If you had asked me two days ago how much money the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had in reserve, I would have said "I dunno, maybe $100 billion?" I think it's funny this guy wrote an 80 page manifesto, relishing the thought of taking down the Church and planning on receiving a massive financial reward. He might as well put forth his arm to stop the Missouri river.

UTEopia
12-18-2019, 08:16 AM
If you had asked me two days ago how much money the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had in reserve, I would have said "I dunno, maybe $100 billion?" I think it's funny this guy wrote an 80 page manifesto, relishing the thought of taking down the Church and planning on receiving a massive financial reward. He might as well put forth his arm to stop the Missouri river.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. As an LDS contributor, I don't believe funds are misused. That does not mean that everything from a tax standpoint is kosher. Unfortunately, I was involved in several legal matters involving the Church on building construction and there were some guys who believed that the "ends" justified the means. As a general principle, I would like to see all entities claiming non-profit status be required to make financial statements public. As it stands now, religions are exempt from that requirement.

Scratch
12-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Some national "experts" have weighed in and said that there is nothing wrong with how the church supposedly was using these funds. The President of Ensign Peak (who is about the nicest, most down-to-earth and humble guy you could ever meet) said that this is silly and that they have not done anything wrong.

sancho
12-19-2019, 10:00 AM
So Donald Trump has been impeached. Good. What's the timeline on the Senate stuff? Will Mitt Romney stay true to his principles or to his constituents? Will LA Ute be the last principled Republican left in the party at the end of it all?

The GOP did this to itself. If they had stayed true to principle all along, there would be a dozen strong presidential candidates to fall back on in case of impeachment. But because they sold out, there are no backup plans for 2020.

U-Ute
12-19-2019, 02:39 PM
So Donald Trump has been impeached. Good. What's the timeline on the Senate stuff? Will Mitt Romney stay true to his principles or to his constituents? Will LA Ute be the last principled Republican left in the party at the end of it all?

The GOP did this to itself. If they had stayed true to principle all along, there would be a dozen strong presidential candidates to fall back on in case of impeachment. But because they sold out, there are no backup plans for 2020.

Additionally, with Mark Meadows bowing out because he can't use his gerrymandered district anymore, that makes 21 GOP congressmen who have decided to not run in 2020.

Scorcho
12-19-2019, 02:48 PM

while I'd like to see Trump removed from office, does anyone think there are 2/3 rds of the Senate that would oust him? I don't think that's realistic.

U-Ute
12-19-2019, 02:52 PM
while I'd like to see Trump removed from office, does anyone think there are 2/3 rds of the Senate that would oust him? I don't think that's realistic.

No. He won't be removed. Pelosi knows that too so there isn't a reason to rush it.

My guess is the house will drag this out to keep his impeachment in the news as long as possible into the campaigning season.

sancho
03-19-2020, 08:52 AM
I have 5 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have the 4 girls (the Fab Four: Penny Lane, Lucy, Molly Jones, and Lovely Rita) in a bedroom together.

We've been thinking about adding a room over our garage. Then the girls could be split.

My question: is this a good or bad time to be thinking about this? I don't want to use the money I was saving in mutual funds because those have gone down 25% or more. I did save some of the necessary money in a savings account (1% interest!), but I won't have enough to pay cash. Is it crazy to think about a loan for this? Which would make more sense - HELOC or a Home Equity Loan? I don't know about these things. We are 7 years into a 30 year mortgage, and the value of the home has increased a lot over the 7 years since we bought.

This isn't urgent. We could wait a few years and hope for an economic recovery. I wonder if I can get better rates now, though, and I wonder if contractors' rates will be lower in a recession.

Mormon Red Death
03-19-2020, 09:02 AM
I have 5 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have the 4 girls (the Fab Four: Penny Lane, Lucy, Molly Jones, and Lovely Rita) in a bedroom together.

We've been thinking about adding a room over our garage. Then the girls could be split.

My question: is this a good or bad time to be thinking about this? I don't want to use the money I was saving in mutual funds because those have gone down 25% or more. I did save some of the necessary money in a savings account (1% interest!), but I won't have enough to pay cash. Is it crazy to think about a loan for this? Which would make more sense - HELOC or a Home Equity Loan? I don't know about these things. We are 7 years into a 30 year mortgage, and the value of the home has increased a lot over the 7 years since we bought.

This isn't urgent. We could wait a few years and hope for an economic recovery. I wonder if I can get better rates now, though, and I wonder if contractors' rates will be lower in a recession.

My suggestion is a HELOC... rates are historically low. I would hold on to my cash.

Mormon Red Death
03-19-2020, 09:07 AM
These things really come down to what your tolerance to risk is. There are a lot of people who say "Pay cash" and that can be an effective strategy if your tolerance for risk is low. However, if you have a pretty secure job and and are ok with a little risk a low rate HELOC would allow you to keep your cash.

sancho
03-19-2020, 09:28 AM
These things really come down to what your tolerance to risk is. There are a lot of people who say "Pay cash" and that can be an effective strategy if your tolerance for risk is low. However, if you have a pretty secure job and and are ok with a little risk a low rate HELOC would allow you to keep your cash.

Thanks. My job is secure. I would pay cash if I had it, but I lost a lot of cash over the past few weeks. I think we want to stay in this house forever (or until we move somewhere warn in retirement). I feel okay about a loan, but I'm completely in the dark about how these things work. I'll look into a HELOC.

My early searching shows that if you take out more money, you can get a lower rate. But what stops you from taking out more money for the low rate and then just putting the extra back into principal? Or, as I understand a HELOC, you can take out more and then just not use it. Like a credit card with a high limit but you never max it out. These questions make me think there are aspects of a HELOC that I don't understand.

Mormon Red Death
03-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Here's a pretty good summary

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mortgages/heloc-home-equity-line-of-credit/

sancho
03-19-2020, 12:12 PM
Here's a pretty good summary

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mortgages/heloc-home-equity-line-of-credit/

Thanks MRD

chrisrenrut
03-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Thanks. My job is secure. I would pay cash if I had it, but I lost a lot of cash over the past few weeks. I think we want to stay in this house forever (or until we move somewhere warn in retirement). I feel okay about a loan, but I'm completely in the dark about how these things work. I'll look into a HELOC.

My early searching shows that if you take out more money, you can get a lower rate. But what stops you from taking out more money for the low rate and then just putting the extra back into principal? Or, as I understand a HELOC, you can take out more and then just not use it. Like a credit card with a high limit but you never max it out. These questions make me think there are aspects of a HELOC that I don't understand.

Another option is doing a mortgage refinance with cash-out. It depends on how much equity you have, and you probably want to keep the cash out plus loan under 80% to avoid PMI. But if you can refi for a rate less than .5% than what you have now, it may be worth it.

sancho
03-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Another option is doing a mortgage refinance with cash-out. It depends on how much equity you have, and you probably want to keep the cash out plus loan under 80% to avoid PMI. But if you can refi for a rate less than .5% than what you have now, it may be worth it.

Thanks. I was lucky to buy at a super low rate (3.25%), so I don't think a refinance is doable.

mUUser
03-20-2020, 06:58 PM
We opened a HELOC with our CU several years ago, and used it once as a bridge on a cash purchase. It's good for our situation as we're in the stage of life where our kids are **ahem** "adults" and we're debt free, so it's truly a way to access emergency funds lightning fast. I don't see it happening.....but never know I suppose. A HELOC works well if you're disciplined and will only access it on a planned project. If you're an impulse buyer, maybe look at other options.

sancho
03-21-2020, 10:24 AM
If you're an impulse buyer, maybe look at other options.

I'm a tightwad. I've never paid interest on a credit card. I think my home and my wife's student loan are the only things I've ever paid interest on.

mUUser
04-17-2020, 06:58 PM
This place is dead. Bury it. There's what, like one post a day on average now? Where'd everyone go....Utefans.net?....that'd be a shame as it's a daily shat-show.....at least it was for years and years.