PDA

View Full Version : Slavery Reparations

LA Ute
06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Here’s another J.D. Williams discussion topic. I have not made my mind up about this one. I’m attracted to the approach that South Africa used when Mandela became president and apartheid ended — some kind of national reconciliation body allowing individuals who were involved or affected to
speak their minds. I’m not bothered by the idea that there ought to be a commission looking at the issue and making a report. I think the national discussion would be healthy.

Should the U.S. give cash payments to the descendants of slaves to atone for slavery? Here’s what experts are arguing

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900075980/reparations-kamala-harris-cory-booker-elizabeth-warren-congress-us-juneteenth.html

UTEopia
06-20-2019, 11:31 AM
I don't know. The US paid reparations to Japanese Americans imprisoned during WWII. I believe Germany is still paying reparations for WWII. I don't have a problem with a commission that would receive input from people who claim to be ancestors describing how they believe this has impacted them. It would likely turnout a lot like the NCAA transfer rule. Use the right buzzwords and hire and attorney and you are immediately eligible.