PDA

View Full Version : Other than any Ute game, what is the most memorable sporting event you've attended?

San Diego Ute Fan
03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
For me, it was the 1979 Final Four: Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird. I've been to a Super Bowl, a couple of World Series games, an NBA finals game, and a golf US Open. Nothing has come close. The atmosphere at the Hunty (SEC, back then) was indescribable. My dad lost the lottery for Utah season ticket holders, but knew the ticket manager at the time, so we got in.

The final game was hyped like no other, and lived up to it. The media presence was unbelievable. To have been there, in our home building with my dad was really something special. I still have the ticket stubs, $20 face value. We were near mid court below the press box, about 20 rows up. I doubt I'll ever experience anything like it again.

LA Ute
03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
For me, it was the 1979 Final Four: Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird. I've been to a Super Bowl, a couple of World Series games, an NBA finals game, and a golf US Open. Nothing has come close. The atmosphere at the Hunty (SEC, back then) was indescribable. My dad lost the lottery for Utah season ticket holders, but knew the ticket manager at the time, so we got in.

The final game was hyped like no other, and lived up to it. The media presence was unbelievable. To have been there, in our home building with my dad was really something special. I still have the ticket stubs, $20 face value. We were near mid court below the press box, about 20 rows up. I doubt I'll ever experience anything like it again.

I was there too and I must say that game is at the top of my list. I'll never forget it, and I wish I had saved the ticket!

But that experience doesn't match The Best Sports Day of My Life, June 17, 2010.

The day began with the "Utah to the PAC10" press conference and the joyful celebrating and Ute fan talk that followed.

It ended with me being able to attend the NBA finals in the Staples Center and watching the Lakers win. My firm's tickets became available suddenly. Right place, right time, right team - kinda like the Utes and the PAC.

Both are probably once-in-a-lifetime experiences for me. I'd never seen a championship game live in any major professional sport, and probably won't again. And I sure won't see anything like Utah joining the PAC12 again. Someday, however, I will be able to tell my grandchildren about both experiences - and that both came in a single 24-hour period.

By the way, lest there be any confusion, the Laker win is not even in the same galaxy as the PAC 10 event, in terms of its importance to me.

SeattleUte
03-05-2013, 06:34 PM
My dad took me to Final Fours in 1975 and 1976. Wooden's last title in 75 and Knight's first in 76. Those were incredible experiences.

Virginia Ute
03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
For me I'd have to go with game 6 of 1998 NBA Finals--Jordan's last game as a Bull. It was a very disappointing ending, but the atmosphere at that game was so intense. That was the loudest crowd I've ever been in, hands down. I still remember the only reason why I got to go was because the game was on Sunday and my mom took a moral stand and didn't want to use her ticket, so I went with my dad.

A close second would have to be the Auburn/USU game back in 2011. The SEC football experience is really something special.

wuapinmon
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Phil Niekro's final game September 27, 1987, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Niekro was up 5-0, but struggled in the 4th, loads the bases, and then Chuck &*(*&^% Cary comes in a gives up a Grand Slam to Candy Maldonado. I still remember Niekro coming to bat and the Giants letting him get on base, with Will Clark committing an intentional error so he'd get on. We stood an applauded our second Braves 300-game winner for what seemed like an hour, but was probably more like 5 minutes. We got crushed by the Giants, something like 15-6. Niekro didn't get the decision because Cary got the loss by earning the go-ahead run.

I also was there for this....a thing of true beauty done to a poor rookie.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-12/sports/sp-98_1_ball-trick

Newbomb Turk
03-05-2013, 07:14 PM
1988 Ute Conference championship game, Gremlin division, Cottonwood Colts vs Kearns Cougars. The Colts stomped Kearns 19-7 to complete an undefeated season.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
1997 NBA Finals, Jazz-Bulls, Game 1, DC. Electric.

GarthUte
03-05-2013, 08:13 PM
1. Like others in this thread, the '79 championship game between Bird and Magic. I was there with my dad. Even at the age of 14, I realized that I was witnessing something that was bigger than life, though it didn't occur to me that that game was just a precursor to what would come in the NBA.

1A. Game one of the '86 World Series between the Red Sox and the Mets. Bruce Hurst beat Ron Darling in a classic 1-0 pitchers duel.

Jeromy in SLC
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Triple overtime tourney game between Gonzaga and Arizona in 2003 at the JMHC. Close second was the double OT game between Kansas state and Xavier in 2010. I also got to see Pete Roses' only right-handed at bat in 1985. He bunted the winning run home in the top of the 12th against the Dodgers. Five games later, he broke Cobb's record.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Redbird
03-05-2013, 08:38 PM
US-Russia hockey semifinal at the '02 Winter Olympics.

Being able to see a Stanley Cup playoff game last year in St Louis was really cool, too.

The CCL final at Rio Tinto two years ago was cool, too, and it may have topped my list if RSL had prevailed.

UBlender
03-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Game 5, 1997 NBA Finals, Jazz-Bulls. The "Flu" Game, or as I've heard people speculate recently - the "Hangover" Game.

Not many other great options for me after that. I went to a Giants game at Candlestick in '93 when Bonds was in his first year there and taking the world by storm--head was fairly average sized then too.

I also remember seeing Jason Kidd lose his one and only NCAA tournament game up at Weber State. He was amazing but his team was terribly coached and lost to Dick Bennett's Wisconsin-Green Bay team.

Jeromy in SLC
03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
I also remember seeing Jason Kidd lose his one and only NCAA tournament game up at Weber State. He was amazing but his team was terribly coached and lost to Dick Bennett's Wisconsin-Green Bay team.

"Todd Bozeman" and "Terrible Coaching are not mutually exclusive terms. Anyone that can lose in the first round with. Kidd, Lamond Murray, and Shareff-Abdur Rahim is stupidity personified.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

chrisrenrut
03-05-2013, 09:57 PM
. . .My dad lost the lottery for Utah season ticket holders, but knew the ticket manager at the time, so we got in.

Monty Howard? He was one interesting guy. He also owned a fly fishing shop and guide company, and used to take Mark O'Meara and Tiger Woods fly fishing on the Provo.

LA Ute
03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Monty Howard? He was one interesting guy. He also owned a fly fishing shop and guide company, and used to take Mark O'Meara and Tiger Woods fly fishing on the Provo.

Monte was a good guy.

GarthUte
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM

You knew Monte? He was a good man.

Monte was a good guy.

Yes he was. I'm still saddened by his passing.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Monte left an impression on a lot of people.....

SeattleUte
03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Last year I saw Philip Humber's perfect game against the Mariners with my three youngest kids. We had great seats right up front. I had just been explaining to my kids on the way to the game the concept of a perfect game. After inning 6 I said to my 11 year old, don't look now, we have a perfect game going, can you believe it. In the ninth inning all of us Marinier fans were on our feet cheering for Humber. One of the coolest things was you could see how desperately hard the Mariners were trying to spoil it. Afterword, I told my kids, you probably won't see this again, ever. They all have saved their ticket stubs.

utebehindenemylines
03-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I attended the 49ers-Bears Monday night game this year. It was my first time at Candlestick, and the place was rocking. Both teams were without their starting QBs as they'd both suffered concussions the week before. It was also Colin Kaepernick's first start, and he lit it up. Coming in, the Bears were were 7-1 I believe. Aldon Smith recorded a Monday Night Record 5.5 sacks in the game and also had 2 FF. I'll never forget the game and some of the a-hole 9er fans sitting around me.

Conversely, I also attended the 49ers-Seahawks game in Seattle in December. It was pouring rain, cold, and the Hawks whooped the 9ers from the opening kick. It was a long game and I never heard the end of it from those Seattle fans.

480ute
03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Last year I saw Philip Humber's perfect game against the Mariners with my three youngest kids. We had great seats right up front. I had just been explaining to my kids on the way to the game the concept of a perfect game. After inning 6 I said to my 11 year old, don't look now, we have a perfect game going, can you believe it. In the ninth inning all of us Marinier fans were on our feet cheering for Humber. One of the coolest things was you could see how desperately hard the Mariners were trying to spoil it. Afterword, I told my kids, you probably won't see this again, ever. They all have saved their ticket stubs.
That's awesome. Some of my best memories growing up are of me and my dad going to Dodgers games, although I never had the fortune of seeing a perfect game. Shoot, the coolest thing I can remember was Darryl Strawberry hitting an extra innings walk off homer, and watching two scalpers brawl in the parking lot over the right to sell us tickets. They'll carry that with them the rest of their lives.

LA Ute
03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
When I was 14 I visited my sister in L.A. and my BIL took me to a Dodger game - my first MLB game ever. We had his company's seats right behind home plate. I was in heaven already, but then Bill Singer pitched a no-hitter. It was awesome. I got Maury Wills' autograph after the game.

jdart
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
As stupid as it sounds, we went to a practice round of the US Open in June in San Fransisco at Olympic Club and that was my favorite non-Ute sporting event. It was Monday so the crowd was still very small, and we got at the course very early We were able to spend 6 holes following around Tiger with only 50 or so other fans. Watching his intensity and preparation 4 days before the tournament started was awesome. Then as the day went on we saw many others very up close and personal. It was a practice round so many golfers were relaxed and would joke with each other and the fans. Plus the PGA allows cameras on the course during practice rounds so we have tons of great picture. It was a really cool experience on a beautiful course.

The only down side was we had walked 18 miles in a charity fundraising event overnight Saturday into Sunday so our feet were not prepared to spend all day standing on a golf course. Besides the pain it was amazing

Brian
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
the game stockton became the all-time assists leader.
There was a lot of energy in the building. Very loud.

macktruck32
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Jazz / Bulls triple OT game in 1992(?). DC was loud, Jordan got ejected, Jazz won. Loudest game I've ever attended until 2008 Utah / TCU.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
My son's championship baseball game last year, or my daughter's first jr high bball game this year.

GarthUte
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
As stupid as it sounds, we went to a practice round of the US Open in June in San Fransisco at Olympic Club and that was my favorite non-Ute sporting event. It was Monday so the crowd was still very small, and we got at the course very early We were able to spend 6 holes following around Tiger with only 50 or so other fans. Watching his intensity and preparation 4 days before the tournament started was awesome. Then as the day went on we saw many others very up close and personal. It was a practice round so many golfers were relaxed and would joke with each other and the fans. Plus the PGA allows cameras on the course during practice rounds so we have tons of great picture. It was a really cool experience on a beautiful course.

The only down side was we had walked 18 miles in a charity fundraising event overnight Saturday into Sunday so our feet were not prepared to spend all day standing on a golf course. Besides the pain it was amazing

There's nothing stupid about being on a course during a practice round for the very reason you mentioned - because the golfers are more relaxed. It's fun to interact with these guys when they aren't 100% focused on playing.

SavaUte
03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Jazz / Bulls triple OT game in 1992(?). DC was loud, Jordan got ejected, Jazz won. Loudest game I've ever attended until 2008 Utah / TCU.

I was there as our jr jazz game. Cool game, although I don't remember much of it.

For me it was the US Open (tennis) in 2006. I had front row for Rafter vs. Tsonga. Its impossible to appreciate how fast everything is on tv, especially when you see a 120+ mph serve fly in front of your face.

Just before that match was Wozniaki vs unknown. Wozniaki from the front row is good. Also, its amazing how much faster the mens game is than the womens

GUBA
03-06-2013, 09:55 AM
My most memorable was the night my HS basketball team mounted a comeback and won the zone championship sending us to the Provincial finals. I still have the medal from that.
The next most was 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs. Game 3 of the series with Dallas Stars. Dallas had gone up 3-0 late in the 3rd period and the fans started filing out. The Oilers scored 3 goals in under 2 minutes to tie the game and won in OT. The best part was that I was there with some friends who left and then came back once they heard the Oilers had tied it up.
Lastly was being part of the huge celebrations during the 2006 Stanley Cup final run against Carolina. So close to winning the whole thing. Bitter disappointment at losing game 7. I have never seen so many car flags supporting a team before or since.

utebehindenemylines
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
My most memorable was the night my HS basketball team mounted a comeback and won the zone championship sending us to the Provincial finals.

Oh man! Can I change mine? Let's turn this into a d**k measuring contest! What was your best individual game performance as an athlete at a relevant level?

I didn't have a ton of shining moments in my high school athletic career. My best was during a Legion baseball game the summer of my Jr year. We were playing Clearfield, I went 4-5 from the plate with 3 doubles and 6 rbi. Late in the game we figured out the coach's pitch signs to the pitcher. When I came up in the bottom of the 7th with a runner on 2nd, I recognized the coach's curveball sign to pitcher, he left me a fat hanger right over the plate and I drove it in for the winning run. It helped make up for the two times I was caught stealing in the game.

My worst, we hosted a memorial day wood bat tourney that same summer. I went 0-11 with about 9 Ks in that tourney.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I made a basket for the opposing team as a sophomore on the JV basketball team.

mUUser
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
My cheesy, but truthful answer, is my daughter's softball game in the 7A HS Semis last year. Went 3 for 4 including a HR and 4 RBI in an extra inning 12-11 walk off single win beating the tag at the plate. There are many other softball moments over the years, but that's the one that sticks out the most -- following that would be last year's Cal Ripken WS where my son's team took 3rd place and received the SS Gold Glove for the tourney.

In events where my kids or Utes didn't participate, it would be the 7A HS Football Championship game in 2010, Yankees-Red Sox game at Fenway, Stars playoff hockey game during the Guy Carbonneau years when the white towels didn't arrive, so the fans grabbed paper toilet covers to waive instead, and the LLWS in Williamsport.

happyone
03-18-2013, 05:50 AM
1972 Munich Olympic Games, IIRC about 3 days after the massacre. We originally had tickets to Soccer Finals, but it was pushed into Sunday. We went down that friday anyway and swapped them for some Track and Field Prelims - High Jump, Hammer throw. That night we sat up on a hill over looking the stadium and with a good pair of binoculars had a pretty good view of the Mens 400 meter finals.