PDA

View Full Version : Travel Recommendations

cowboy
03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
A thread for asking and giving advice about upcoming trips, and yes, I just started this exact thread at CS, but I want to catch my Ute friends who have migrated and not returned.. I'll go first. My wife is going to LA to run a half-marathon the first weekend of April and is looking for somewhere to stay with her friends. The race is in Hollywood, but I've heard that places there either cost $800/night or rent by the hour. We're looking for something around the lower quartile of that range. Any advice would be much appreciated.

No, I'll not be there to cheer her on. She is going with a bunch of women, which means I want nothing to do with their trip/sightseeing tour. I'd much rather go to the Final Four in Atlanta than the Price is Right in LA.

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
cowboy, what days is she staying down there?

Mormon Red Death
03-08-2013, 08:54 AM
A thread for asking and giving advice about upcoming trips, and yes, I just started this exact thread at CS, but I want to catch my Ute friends who have migrated and not returned.. I'll go first. My wife is going to LA to run a half-marathon the first weekend of April and is looking for somewhere to stay with her friends. The race is in Hollywood, but I've heard that places there either cost $800/night or rent by the hour. We're looking for something around the lower quartile of that range. Any advice would be much appreciated.

No, I'll not be there to cheer her on. She is going with a bunch of women, which means I want nothing to do with their trip/sightseeing tour. I'd much rather go to the Final Four in Atlanta than the Price is Right in LA.

Holiday inn in Anaheim is pretty good.

cowboy
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
cowboy, what days is she staying down there?
April 4-6, Thursday thru Saturday.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Cowboy, stay in San Diego.

San Diego Ute Fan
03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I completely endorse Sfork's suggestion here.

mUUser
12-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Driving from KC to Provo tomorrow. I70/US6 or I70/I80....recommendation?

Brian
12-26-2013, 01:35 PM

My condolences on the destination.
That said, merriment on your journey.

chrisrenrut
12-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Weather looks like it will be ok in Wyoming, I would probably go I-80 to save time. I-70 is more scenic, but slower, and I wouldn't want the extra time after crossing Kansas and eastern Colorado.

Rocker Ute
07-16-2015, 09:53 PM
When I die and go to hell I'll simply just reappear in line at Disneyland. In fact last time I was there I wondered which of the other weary fathers there were actually dead.

With that as context to my question, we're going to Newport late September with a couple of other families. These other families want to spend two days at Disneyland, I'm convinced one hour is enough but I'll concede a day. What do you all recommend, is two days with kids ranging 4-11 necessary?

My suggestion was to ditch the other families and do our own thing that second day and bribe the kids with a portion of the proceeds saved if met with resistance.

Following that line of thinking, is there something in that part of SoCal of interest (not another theme park) that is maybe off the relative beaten path that might easily supplant a second day at Disneyland?

Your vast wisdom and suggestions are welcome. And for further clarification, a relaxing drive up the coast is not in my 4yo genetic makeup.

NorthwestUteFan
07-17-2015, 12:12 AM
I know it is out of character and against your beliefs, but I strongly recommend getting a shot of rum or vodka in your drink at California Adventure. I promise you it will make the day more bearable. (They can serve alcohol only at CA, so at DL you get to grin and bear it).

A 4 yr old would probably be content to dig in the sand at the beach all day. An option that might work with the kids is renting beach cruiser bikes and riding up the beach. My kids enjoy that.

NorthwestUteFan
07-17-2015, 12:25 AM
The LA Zoo can be enjoyable for the family, especially if you cap the evening with a Dodgers game. Zoo + game + ball caps/popcorn/etc will likely still be cheaper than a day at DL.

LA Ute
07-17-2015, 07:57 AM
I don't know your kids' age but if you're at Newport there's so much to do there that I don't know why you'd want to leave. (I'm there right now and I hate leaving even to hit the grocery store.). That said, the Getty museum is terrific, if your kids are interested. There is stuff to do there for younger kids. It will take you an hour to get there. A Dodger game is a great idea, but the Angels are much closer. You could get to the San Diego Zoo in about an hour. Then there's Legoland and Sea World. (Why anyone would want to leave Newport Beach to go to thiose places us beyond me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
07-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I don't know your kids' age but if you're at Newport there's so much to do there that I don't know why you'd want to leave. (I'm there right now and I hate leaving even to hit the grocery store.). That said, the Getty museum is terrific, if your kids are interested. There is stuff to do there for younger kids. It will take you an hour to get there. A Dodger game is a great idea, but the Angels are much closer. You could get to the San Diego Zoo in about an hour. Then there's Legoland and Sea World. (Why anyone would want to leave Newport Beach to go to thiose places us beyond me.)

I'm with you on leaving Newport. Truthfully, despite my disdain for D-land, it seems like kind of a waste of our week at Newport to spend two days there. It is kind of like, "Okay we got the magic of Disneyland, now we can supplant the rest with Lagoon some other evening in Utah..."

Two Utes
07-17-2015, 09:13 AM
When I die and go to hell I'll simply just reappear in line at Disneyland. In fact last time I was there I wondered which of the other weary fathers there were actually dead.

With that as context to my question, we're going to Newport late September with a couple of other families. These other families want to spend two days at Disneyland, I'm convinced one hour is enough but I'll concede a day. What do you all recommend, is two days with kids ranging 4-11 necessary?

My suggestion was to ditch the other families and do our own thing that second day and bribe the kids with a portion of the proceeds saved if met with resistance.

Following that line of thinking, is there something in that part of SoCal of interest (not another theme park) that is maybe off the relative beaten path that might easily supplant a second day at Disneyland?

Your vast wisdom and suggestions are welcome. And for further clarification, a relaxing drive up the coast is not in my 4yo genetic makeup.

No fucking way would I spend TWO days in Disneyland. Only Utahns would even think about going to the beach and spending two of those precious days in that hell hole. It's gonna be over $500 to get in (you always have to do both parks). Then you spend the whole day waiting in line in the heat for rides that give you motion sickness. And the food sucks. Happiest place on earth, my ass. I understand that dutiful parents need to take their kids to Disneyland. I've sucked it up, got up early, threw everybody in the car, paid $30 bucks to park a mile away from the parks, put my game face on and fought through the day (and the night). But I'll be damned if I do it two days in a row.

And as for those miserable, horrible adults who go there without kids because they like it and make the park even more crowded, one day you people will rot in hell.

As for doing other things, you have the beach, the boardwalk, bikes, surfboards, boogie boards, good donuts and coffee and everything else you need for your kids to have fun without leaving.

Rocker, I'm seriously concerned about who you are hanging out with these days.

Sullyute
07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
And as for those miserable, horrible adults who go there without kids because they like it and make the park even more crowded, one day you people will rot in hell.

I honestly don't get this!? I've known two couples who go every year despite having no kids. That is sick and wrong.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-17-2015, 12:52 PM
If you're staying here, there's no reason to even leave the resort.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxnc-marriotts-newport-coast-villas/

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-17-2015, 12:58 PM
This may or may not have been one of my FB posts.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/17/7fcef1bf77f11ef784f83eb1f8eab43b.jpg

Scratch
07-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Rocker, where are you staying? I just like to crash at the beach, but there are lots of other options right in Newport. Kayaking, duffy boats, there's a kid play place in the back bay that your kids might like. Also, if I'm stuck doing 2 days of amusement parks you should go to Knotts the second day. Way less crowded.

Lowell, let me know if you're still around next week and lunch is on me.

LA Ute
07-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Rocker, where are you staying? I just like to crash at the beach, but there are lots of other options right in Newport. Kayaking, duffy boats, there's a kid play place in the back bay that your kids might like. Also, if I'm stuck doing 2 days of amusement parks you should go to Knotts the second day. Way less crowded.

I've been an idiot about letting people know I'm here. I even have a partner who lives on Balboa Island (where we are staying) and I forgot to tell him. Alas, we are out of here tomorrow. I'll be back soon on business and will remember next time!

Rocker Ute
07-17-2015, 01:59 PM

Some beach house right in Newport that I reserved with the intent to do just that (crash on the beach).

You've all emboldened me further. Last night I suggested that perhaps my friends who are so hellbent on the second day would likely be happy to just take our kids with them. I'm comfortable with other parents tending to our kids in the memory books.

Rocker Ute
07-17-2015, 02:01 PM
No fucking way would I spend TWO days in Disneyland. Only Utahns would even think about going to the beach and spending two of those precious days in that hell hole. It's gonna be over $500 to get in (you always have to do both parks). Then you spend the whole day waiting in line in the heat for rides that give you motion sickness. And the food sucks. Happiest place on earth, my ass. I understand that dutiful parents need to take their kids to Disneyland. I've sucked it up, got up early, threw everybody in the car, paid $30 bucks to park a mile away from the parks, put my game face on and fought through the day (and the night). But I'll be damned if I do it two days in a row.

As for doing other things, you have the beach, the boardwalk, bikes, surfboards, boogie boards, good donuts and coffee and everything else you need for your kids to have fun without leaving.

Rocker, I'm seriously concerned about who you are hanging out with these days.

This... Exactly this. Can I print this off and hand to those pushing me to do two days?

Scratch
07-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Some beach house right in Newport that I reserved with the intent to do just that (crash on the beach).

You've all emboldened me further. Last night I suggested that perhaps my friends who are so hellbent on the second day would likely be happy to just take our kids with them. I'm comfortable with other parents tending to our kids in the memory books.

Cool, we'll actually be there in a beach house next week, too, but I'll be going into the office most days. Let me know if I can buy you lunch in Fashion Island one of the days next week.

chrisrenrut
07-17-2015, 03:35 PM
. . .We are currently on day five of eureka, ca. Beach and redwoods. Been a great trip.

Jealous! I love the Northern California coast.

Rocker Ute
07-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Cool, we'll actually be there in a beach house next week, too, but I'll be going into the office most days. Let me know if I can buy you lunch in Fashion Island one of the days next week.

I'll actually be there late September. So maybe less Disney crowds.

NorthwestUteFan
07-17-2015, 04:51 PM
I'll actually be there late September. So maybe less Disney crowds.

Midweek during school should be OK. But still, it is a huge pain in the butt to drive out from Newport to DL especially when the beach is calling your name.

The last few times I went to DL or DW I stayed at a Disney property. This gave us an extra hour in the morning before the park opened for the day (or after it closes, depending on the day) and also gave us a place to go for a rest when the kids got burned out in the middle of the day.

Definitely find a way to stay closer to Newport for the second day...

Brian
07-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey is my favorite place on earth. Asilomar beach in Pacific Grove has easy access from the road to some huge rocks that the waves smash all day long. So peaceful.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Speaking of...http://www.scrippsmedia.com/ktnv/news/Large-brush-fire-closes-Interstate-15-in-the-Cajon-Pass-burns-cars-316367881.html?lc=Smart

LA Ute
07-17-2015, 06:41 PM

I recommend stunned silence when your friends raise the idea of leaving the beach. Act like you're embarrassed for them and don't know what to say. See if they just slither away.

Rocker Ute
07-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Ha! My kids are awesome! My wife broached the subject (after I forwarded two Utes carefully worded admonition) with her thinking they'd want two days. (I had more faith in them).

Unanimous decision: One day at Disneyland. The two oldest said, "We had more fun at the beach last time anyway..." To which I replied, "So how about we just skip Disneyland all together?" That got kaiboshed. Damned mouse marketing even got to the best of them.

U-Ute
07-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Last time we were in Newport Beach, we did a whale watching trip. That was fun.

NorthwestUteFan
07-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Last time we were in Newport Beach, we did a whale watching trip. That was fun.

My brother did that in Sandy Eggo last week. They went out in a small 22'-ish RIB with 2 other passengers. They were able to speed up to the pod, cut the engine, and have the pod surface all around them. It was a more pleasurable experience than their friends who went on the 250 person whale watching ship.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 12:02 PM
So we wisely and successfully avoided the second day at Disneyland. For my friends who went one husband reported in a text that it was 'Hot as balls...' and crowded. It got up near 90 degrees that day at the park. Meanwhile we were watching dolphins and whales in a pleasant breeze.

Beach, bike rides, night swimming, surfing, boogie boards, dolphin and whale watching, sand castles, Disneyland, eating out, balboa bars, campfire on the beach... The only thing that went wrong was my daughter getting carsick and throwing up, which happens 100% of the time. It is how we know we are on vacation. Still she got it all in the bag... Nice work kiddo.

LA Ute
09-29-2015, 01:26 PM
So we wisely and successfully avoided the second day at Disneyland. For my friends who went one husband reported in a text that it was 'Hot as balls...' and crowded. It got up near 90 degrees that day at the park. Meanwhile we were watching dolphins and whales in a pleasant breeze.

Beach, bike rides, night swimming, surfing, boogie boards, dolphin and whale watching, sand castles, Disneyland, eating out, balboa bars, campfire on the beach... The only thing that went wrong was my daughter getting carsick and throwing up, which happens 100% of the time. It is how we know we are on vacation. Still she got it all in the bag... Nice work kiddo.

It's a great family place. We've been there a dozen different summers, at least. When our kids have their own families we plan to have an annual (maybe semi-annual) week-long gathering for the whole clan there if we can pull that off. Everyone in the family loves Balboa.

Solon
02-02-2016, 07:35 AM
The wife & I are headed to Iceland in June for 6 days.
Anyone been there? Suggestions?

Our itinerary is wide open and we're gathering ideas.

Applejack
02-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Oh...you'll love it! 6 days is enough time to get out in the countryside and see Iceland at it's peak. Things to do:

1. Rent a car. Kind of goes without saying.
2. Spend very little time in Reykavic, and the Golden Triangle. Crowds.
3. See the real Iceland, which means small towns and nature.

I'll write more when I have time. Iceland!

Brian
02-02-2016, 08:44 AM
The wife & I are headed to Iceland in June for 6 days.
Anyone been there? Suggestions?

Our itinerary is wide open and we're gathering ideas.

Super jealous. A good friend of mine went there last year, and loved it. Yes, get a car, and explore the small towns. That's what he did and loved it.
He showed me pictures of the coastal towns and they looked amazing.
have fun.

LA Ute
02-02-2016, 12:28 PM
I'll have three free days in London this May. Never been there. What are the must-see places? (We do intend to go back. This will partly be a scouting trip for future visits.)

hostile
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I'll have three free days in London this May. Never been there. What are the must-see places? (We do intend to go back. This will partly be a scouting trip for future visits.)
my kids enjoyed both the British Museum and the Imperial War Museum. Both are easy to access off the tube and both are free. We went out to Wembley stadium for a rugby match which was also fun.

Brian
02-02-2016, 01:28 PM

British museum is a must see. The National Gallery, if you like art museums is fantastic. Both free.
Westminster Abbey makes for a great 2-3 hours. And lots to see walking around the area.
St. Paul's cathedral is nice. We happened in when the choir was practising, so that was extra nice.
If you like taking walks, we went from Westminster Abbey, through St. Jame's Park to Buckingham Palace by foot. Very nice. Lots of pubs and cafes around the area to relax along the way.

hostile
02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
British museum is a must see. The National Gallery, if you like art museums is fantastic. Both free.
Westminster Abbey makes for a great 2-3 hours. And lots to see walking around the area.
St. Paul's cathedral is nice. We happened in when the choir was practising, so that was extra nice.
If you like taking walks, we went from Westminster Abbey, through St. Jame's Park to Buckingham Palace by foot. Very nice. Lots of pubs and cafes around to relax along the way.

We didn't hit the National Gallery. "Not another museum," cried the children. The Red Lion pub near Westminster was fun- kids loved it so we went back again.

Brian
02-02-2016, 01:45 PM
We didn't hit the National Gallery. "Not another museum," cried the children. The Red Lion pub near Westminster was fun- kids loved it so we went back again.

My daughter loves art even more than I do, so if anything, she dragged me into it.
Pubs are great, especially out in the country. We spent a week in Derbyshire (aka heaven), and the locally sourced food in the pubs was very tasty. Didn't know beef could taste that good.

Brian
02-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Back when Westminster College was looking for a mascot name, I suggested the Westminster Abbeys. Would have been so much cooler than the Griffins.

That would have been awesome.

Never been to London, and I'll probably never make it. But if I do, I'm eating fish and chips and curry all day long.

And you would leave very happy, and satisfied.

concerned
02-02-2016, 01:59 PM

If you like Elizabethan history, Hampton Court.

Solon
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM

1. Elgin Marbles.
2. Lindisfarne Gospels.
3. Rosetta Stone

Everything else is just pudding.

LA Ute
02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
I do plan to make a pilgrimage to Charles Dickens' house.

concerned
02-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I do plan to make a pilgrimage to Charles Dickens' house.

Then you need to explore the marshes and bogs where Pip first encountered Magwich.

LA Ute
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Then you need to explore the marshes and bogs where Pip first encountered Magwich.

I think you mean Magwitch.

Brian
02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm going to be in Manchester for a week this summer, and am going to add some extra days for me and Mrs. to explore.
We've seen the major stuff on previous trips in London, Wales, south coast, east coast, Liverpool, Edinburgh, etc. This time we wanted to go into the highlands of Scotland and enjoy the scenery. I feel like I've seen enough castles for a lifetime, but I'm a sucker for cathedrals and abbeys.
Any recommendations for stuff up north?

LA Ute
02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm going to be in Manchester for a week this summer, and am going to add some extra days for me and Mrs. to explore.
We've seen the major stuff on previous trips in London, Wales, south coast, east coast, Liverpool, Edinburgh, etc. This time we wanted to go into the highlands of Scotland and enjoy the scenery. I feel like I've seen enough castles for a lifetime, but I'm a sucker for cathedrals and abbeys.
Any recommendations for stuff up north?

I do plan a future trip to Scotland. It's my ancestral homeland on both sides and I've never been. So I will be watching you for ideas.

Brian
06-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Spending a month, all of July in England. 3 weeks of it are business, and 1 week of fun. Taking the Mrs. along. Super excited. Giving lectures at 3 universities, including one at Oxford. Kinda nervous about that one..... I own one tie and no suit or sports jacket...
Summers are miserable where I live, so I wont mind spending the worst part of summer in the 50s and 60s.

Anyway, we're spending our 1 week of fun up in Northern Scotland. Going all the way to the top. Skipping the islands (Shetland, Orkneys, Outer Hebridies), which I fear may be a mistake, but the Mrs. is not up for a lot of barfing on ferry rides.... Oh well. 3 days on Isle of Skye, which is accessible via road. Not really sure what were going to do, really like sitting and watching waves hit rocks, and driving and walking around scenic places. Heard the whale watching tours are nice. Planning to take it easy and not have that much of a schedule. Anyone been up that far north? Recommendations?
Kind of tired of seeing castles and manor homes, unless there is something really unique. Heard the Fairy Pools are nice.

hostile
06-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Spending a month, all of July in England. 3 weeks of it are business, and 1 week of fun. Taking the Mrs. along. Super excited. Giving lectures at 3 universities, including one at Oxford. Kinda nervous about that one..... I own one tie and no suit or sports jacket...
Summers are miserable where I live, so I wont mind spending the worst part of summer in the 50s and 60s.

Anyway, we're spending our 1 week of fun up in Northern Scotland. Going all the way to the top. Skipping the islands (Shetland, Orkneys, Outer Hebridies), which I fear may be a mistake, but the Mrs. is not up for a lot of barfing on ferry rides.... Oh well. 3 days on Isle of Skye, which is accessible via road. Not really sure what were going to do, really like sitting and watching waves hit rocks, and driving and walking around scenic places. Heard the whale watching tours are nice. Planning to take it easy and not have that much of a schedule. Anyone been up that far north? Recommendations?
Kind of tired of seeing castles and manor homes, unless there is something really unique. Heard the Fairy Pools are nice.
We spent 10 days in England last summer with the kids, most of it in London. We did take an overnight trip and Walked around Oxford. The library is amazing. We then spent the next morning at Stonehenge and stopped by Salisbury cathedral to see one of the three remaining original copies of the Magna Carta.

I totally get not wanting to deal with barfing. We drove back to London and went to see Phantom of the Opera. My girls, especially the oldest, had been looking forward to this as the highlight of their trip. Unfortunately my oldest got some stomach bug/car sickness and spent the entire performance with her head in my lap. She assured me she was fine to take the tube back to our apartment and didn't need to use the loo. So we walked out of the theater into the crowded sidewalk and she promptly threw up right in front of the theatre doors, all over my shoes.

UTEopia
06-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Just spent a week in Yosemite. Had never been there before. What a beautiful place. Too many people, but the waterfalls are magnificent right now.

Brian
06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Looking for some recommendations for a few days in western Germany.
Friday morning I'm in Frankfurt, and Sunday evening I need to be in Luxembourg. In between, I have a car.
Anything cool in eastern france?
I've heard the WWI sights are interesting. And perhaps WW2 sites up in Belgium?

or maybe a southern loop through Zurich?

Mormon Red Death
06-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Looking for some recommendations for a few days in western Germany.
Friday morning I'm in Frankfurt, and Sunday evening I need to be in Luxembourg. In between, I have a car.
Anything cool in eastern france?
I've heard the WWI sights are interesting. And perhaps WW2 sites up in Belgium?

or maybe a southern loop through Zurich?I'd travel the rummelstraub (sp?) And see neuswanstein

Brian
06-19-2018, 05:40 AM
I'd travel the rummelstraub (sp?) And see neuswanstein

Hmm. that does sound interesting... I hadn't thought of that place. thanks.

Mormon Red Death
06-22-2018, 12:11 PM
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/driving-germanys-romantic-road

the picture is Neuswantstein

Brian
07-10-2018, 06:48 AM
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/driving-germanys-romantic-road

the picture is Neuswantstein

Well worth it. Thanks for the recommendation.
I also stopped at Dachau on the way. Sobering, sad, but worth it.

UTEopia
03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Just returned from a Windstar cruise through French Polynesia. It was our first cruise and the small ship and 140 guests was perfect for us and a perfect way to see the islands. I don’t think I will ever be able to go back to Hawaii again.

U-Ute
03-01-2019, 04:10 PM
I drove through Kearns over the weekend.

UTEopia
05-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Planning a trip to Machu Pichu for 2020. Going with a travel company called discoveryxa. We with them to Kenya last summer and had an amazing trip. In addition to Machu Pichu, we will be going to Lake Titicaca, and the Rain Forest. Is there anything worth seeing in Lima for a few days either before our tour or after? We like to add something in the "neighborhood" and have thought of the Galapagos islands or Iguazu Falls. Any thoughts on either of those places or someplace else?

sancho
05-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Planning a trip to Machu Pichu for 2020. Going with a travel company called discoveryxa. We with them to Kenya last summer and had an amazing trip. In addition to Machu Pichu, we will be going to Lake Titicaca, and the Rain Forest. Is there anything worth seeing in Lima for a few days either before our tour or after? We like to add something in the "neighborhood" and have thought of the Galapagos islands or Iguazu Falls. Any thoughts on either of those places or someplace else?

I'm so jealous. I served my mission in Lima and Cuzco. Lima is not really a tourist destination. There are nice parts, or course. Nice beaches, some museums. If anything, though, I would spend my time in Lima eating. Peru has the best cuisine of South America. Find some nice and safe ceviche in Lima. I could give other food recommendations if you like.

I would spend as much time as possible in the mountains. See Machu Picchu, but also explore Cuzco, the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, etc.

Something I didn't get to see but would love to is the Colca canyon near Arequipa. It's not as popular as Cuzco or Puno for tourism, but you can find tours. It looks beautiful.

My brother visited Iguazu after his mission in Argentina, and he was not disappointed. Looks like an amazing place.

concerned
05-05-2019, 09:52 PM
I'm so jealous. I served my mission in Lima and Cuzco. Lima is not really a tourist destination. There are nice parts, or course. Nice beaches, some museums. If anything, though, I would spend my time in Lima eating. Peru has the best cuisine of South America. Find some nice and safe ceviche in Lima. I could give other food recommendations if you like.

I would spend as much time as possible in the mountains. See Machu Picchu, but also explore Cuzco, the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, etc.

Something I didn't get to see but would love to is the Colca canyon near Arequipa. It's not as popular as Cuzco or Puno for tourism, but you can find tours. It looks beautiful.

My brother visited Iguazu after his mission in Argentina, and he was not disappointed. Looks like an amazing place.

When I did m.p. years ago, also did cuzco, Puerto maldanado lake titicaca and la paz. Started in the Galapagos. Unless you think you might go back to that part of the world someday, I absolutely would do the Galapagos. It was the most memorable part of our trip.

UTEopia
05-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the input. We will be spending time in Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Puerto Maldonado. I have heard of Colca Canyon. So many places to visit. Not sure if I will make it back to South America. We try to do one big trip a year and have a lot on our bucket list. A small trip I am excited about is going back and renting a European Canal boat and spending 4 nights on the Erie Canal. My brother and I boated the Hudson from Manhattan to Lake Champlain a few years back and if you have never been through the locks, it is very fun.

Applejack
05-06-2019, 08:13 AM

Iguazu Falls is nice, but I wouldn't say that it's nice enough to travel from Lima to see (nor would I say it's in the neighborhood, unless by neighborhood you mean South America). I'd take Sancho's advice about eating thru Lima and check out the Galapagos.

Applejack
05-06-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm planning a baseball roadtrip around the Erie canal this summer. We will hit the exotic destinations of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Toronto. We'll probably finish up in Montreal. Any recommendations about any of these cities would be much appreciated (sidenote: I have two young kids who are good travelers/eaters, but we are somewhat limited by nap time).

sancho
05-06-2019, 08:44 AM
I'm planning a baseball roadtrip around the Erie canal this summer. We will hit the exotic destinations of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Toronto. We'll probably finish up in Montreal. Any recommendations about any of these cities would be much appreciated (sidenote: I have two young kids who are good travelers/eaters, but we are somewhat limited by nap time).

My coworker from Pittsburgh swears that Pittsburgh is known for its pierogis. I've never heard of it, but you should check it out.

mUUser
05-06-2019, 08:52 AM

I've done many baseball trips with my kids. I did this trip a few years ago with my son. He was probably 14 at the time. We hit Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago (both Cubs and Chisox). If we had more time I would've added Milwaukee & the Twinkies as well. My wife takes the girls on the exotic crap that most people like -- not me -- give me a baseball trip any day. Enjoy!

Mormon Red Death
05-06-2019, 09:30 AM

In Detroit you should go to the Henry Ford Museum. (https://www.thehenryford.org/) By Cleveland you can go to Cedar Point (https://www.cedarpoint.com/). In toledo there is a great children's museum called the imagination station (https://www.imaginationstationtoledo.org/visit/hours-admission) that is fun. For places to eat in Detroit I'd go to Mexican Town and my favorite is xoxomilcos (https://www.groupon.com/biz/detroit/xochimilco-restaurant) If you like mideastern food there are lots of great places. Astoria Bakery in Greektown is must as well.

Applejack
05-06-2019, 09:55 AM
My coworker from Pittsburgh swears that Pittsburgh is known for its pierogis. I've never heard of it, but you should check it out.

Added to my list...

I've done many baseball trips with my kids. I did this trip a few years ago with my son. He was probably 14 at the time. We hit Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago (both Cubs and Chisox). If we had more time I would've added Milwaukee & the Twinkies as well. My wife takes the girls on the exotic crap that most people like -- not me -- give me a baseball trip any day. Enjoy!

Well, I like the exotic stuff too, but I have a goal to see a game in every stadium before I meet my untimely demise. This trip should put me at 20/30. But all the ones left are not in desirable locales (KC, Milwaukee, Tampa, Seattle, etc)

In Detroit you should go to the Henry Ford Museum. (https://www.thehenryford.org/) By Cleveland you can go to Cedar Point (https://www.cedarpoint.com/). In toledo there is a great children's museum called the imagination station (https://www.imaginationstationtoledo.org/visit/hours-admission) that is fun. For places to eat in Detroit I'd go to Mexican Town and my favorite is xoxomilcos (https://www.groupon.com/biz/detroit/xochimilco-restaurant) If you like mideastern food there are lots of great places. Astoria Bakery in Greektown is must as well.

Good stuff. Especially on stuff to eat in Detroit. Detroit is a hard city to figure out; there is a ton of new development downtown (pricier on Airbnb) and you go three blocks away and you can get a screaming deal. But the city just disappears at that point. It's hard to get a sense of where to stay.

Applejack
05-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Is this east coast mexican or mexican food?

Mormon Red Death
05-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Is this east coast mexican or mexican food?

Its better than the red iguana in my opinion.

Applejack
05-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Its better than the red iguana in my opinion.

:blink:

LuckyUte
05-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Toronto: Been there a couple of times on baseball road trips. Hockey Hall of Fame, Parkdale Nightlife, Gretzky's restaurant, CN Tower. I am usually in a city to see the game and the stadium, so I have been limited in how much I check out beyond that area, but each of these areas are near the park.

hostile
05-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Pittsburgh- Pamela’s for breakfast. Still my favorite corned beef hash. The pancakes are awesome. PNC Park is a great baseball venue. Beautiful view of the city. If you’re into architecture, Falling Water is about 90 minutes away. Take the funicular to the top of Mt Washington for a birds eye view of the three rivers confluence.

Mormon Red Death
05-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Pittsburgh- Pamela’s for breakfast. Still my favorite corned beef hash. The pancakes are awesome. PNC Park is a great baseball venue. Beautiful view of the city. If you’re into architecture, Falling Water is about 90 minutes away. Take the funicular to the top of Mt Washington for a birds eye view of the three rivers confluence.

Andy Warhol museum is fun but not sure it would be all that great for real young kids.

hostile
05-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Andy Warhol museum is fun but not sure it would be all that great for real young kids.
Agree. Time limit for my kids in a museum is about 1 hour

Applejack
05-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Toronto: Been there a couple of times on baseball road trips. Hockey Hall of Fame, Parkdale Nightlife, Gretzky's restaurant, CN Tower. I am usually in a city to see the game and the stadium, so I have been limited in how much I check out beyond that area, but each of these areas are near the park.

I have been out of the "nightlife" scene for a few decades. Does anything start before 6?

Falling Water has a +6 age limit, unfortunately. We've done the funicular. We somewhat know Pittsburgh as we have been there a few times.

My 2 year old loves bananas.

UTEopia
05-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Pittsburgh is an underrated city. I don't have any specific recommendations, just enjoy the city.

hostile
05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Montréal: Schwartz’s deli for a smoked meat sandwich. Walk/bike to the top of Mt Royal for a 360 view of the island and st Joseph’s oratory. Your kids can see Brother André’s heart. Walking around old Montréal is pretty cool.

LuckyUte
05-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I have been out of the "nightlife" scene for a few decades. Does anything start before 6?

All of it.

chrisrenrut
07-22-2019, 07:14 AM
As I understand it, Ill wait for an answer to my personal messages for a long time, so I am writing here! Actually, Ive on your forum a long time ago, but I had to register again - why, Ill tell you later. Recently, I broke up with my husband (some people know him here!), and I've been chatting on dating sites for 2 years. It's a shame, but it's true. Dating sites disappointed me. Too many perverts and just dumb men. I like strong intellectuals. I am an engineer, but also I'm trying myself in the modeling business. ... ;) Oh yeah, I'm 24, and I love online chat rooms))) instagram, skype. I'll reply only with a personal message! But I can answer in the evening only - I'm running away for a while! I hope for a serious relationship. Write, maybe I'm lucky here. https://c.radikal.ru/c27/1907/43/08e4130966d6.jpg (http://luvandates.com/profile/Fanniesaf) Post changed: Great, the photo didnt load! Does anyone know how to fix this? In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt)) http://luvandates.com/profile/Fanniesaf/ P.S. Scorcho! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list! ___________ Post changed 22.07.2019

Scorcho, c’mon man. You gotta be nicer to our Russian friends!