PDA

View Full Version : Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

Mormon Red Death
09-03-2019, 09:01 AM
11 am mountain time kickoff. Utes are 22 point favorites. I unfortunately will miss the first half due to my son's football game.

Mormon Red Death
09-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Can we talk a little about the game? Has TJ Green recovered from his injury? What RBs will we see on Saturday.

Diehard Ute
09-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Can we talk a little about the game? Has TJ Green recovered from his injury? What RBs will we see on Saturday.

Green wasn’t mentioned by KW at all so I doubt we will see him

Sounds like Moss and Wilmore will be the featured backs. DHC is a change up back, and Brumfield will be a short yardage back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Applejack
09-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Can I just say that I love the kick off time?!?!?! Marvelous!

I don't know anything about Northern Illinois other than having watched the Utah game last year. Their defense was really good last year (combined with our offense being really bad). But their offense was truly horrific. Unless they've recruited some studs, I would imagine that we'll see some trick plays out of desperation.

Mormon Red Death
09-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Can I just say that I love the kick off time?!?!?! Marvelous!

I don't know anything about Northern Illinois other than having watched the Utah game last year. Their defense was really good last year (combined with our offense being really bad). But their offense was truly horrific. Unless they've recruited some studs, I would imagine that we'll see some trick plays out of desperation.

I'm all for an afternoon game but can we make it at 1pm mountain? Why 11 am mountain?

DrumNFeather
09-06-2019, 12:04 PM
I'm all for an afternoon game but can we make it at 1pm mountain? Why 11 am mountain?

I don't mind the 11 am kick for a game like this...get it over with, etc., gives you the rest of your day. I do wish they'd found a way to put it on ESPN2 or FS1, but again, people will likely be only looking at the box score over the next two weeks.

Sullyute
09-06-2019, 01:58 PM
I am a fan of evening games. I have things to do during daylight hours, it’s at night I want entertainment.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 09:09 AM
I am a fan of evening games. I have things to do during daylight hours, it’s at night I want entertainment.

Agreed. We are empty-nesters now, so this start time isn’t such a big problem, but when our kids were young Saturday mornings were devoted to their activities. I think it’s a bad time for a football game.

Applejack
09-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Agreed. We are empty-nesters now, so this start time isn’t such a big problem, but when our kids were young Saturday mornings were devoted to their activities. I think it’s a bad time for a football game.

You are both too young to remember the days of regular noon kickoffs. Sad.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 11:17 AM
You are both too young to remember the days of regular noon kickoffs. Sad.

Those were pre-kids.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Looks like we are witnessing one of Utah‘s patented slow starts.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Looks like we are witnessing one of Utah‘s patented slow starts.

And now the patented shaking off of the cobwebs.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 11:41 AM
In a pre-season meeting with boosters Ludwig did say he’d be using the fly sweep as a basic component of the offense. It worked well that time!

USS Utah
09-07-2019, 12:00 PM
In a pre-season meeting with boosters Ludwig did say he’d be using the fly sweep as a basic component of the offense. It worked well that time!

Second TD for that play in two weeks.

USS Utah
09-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Not much offense in last year's game. Not much defense in this game.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Not much offense in last year's game. Not much defense in this game.

True. Not against the pass, at least, from what I’ve seen.

USS Utah
09-07-2019, 12:53 PM
4 trips to the red zone = 4 touchdowns and an 11 point lead early in the second half.

USS Utah
09-07-2019, 01:20 PM
And now the defense gets two stops.

USS Utah
09-07-2019, 01:28 PM
INT gives the O a short field!

Followed by a targeting call on NIU. . . .

. . . And a Utah touchdown!

5 for 5 in the red zone.

Applejack
09-07-2019, 01:59 PM
INT gives the O a short field!

Followed by a targeting call on NIU. . . .

. . . And a Utah touchdown!

5 for 5 in the red zone.

I know it benefit ted us, but the targeting rule is so dumb. The defender was so low to the ground and the only reason Thompson's helmet was hit was because Thompson was crouching down. I don't know what the defender can do more than he did. And it's not as if Thompson is "defenseless"; he saw it coming for two steps! Just stupid that something that is so fundamental to the game (wrap up and tackle) can result in an ejection + 1/2 game suspension, overturning a turnover (hold on to the damn ball, Thompson!).

chrisrenrut
09-07-2019, 02:56 PM
I know it benefit ted us, but the targeting rule is so dumb. The defender was so low to the ground and the only reason Thompson's helmet was hit was because Thompson was crouching down. I don't know what the defender can do more than he did. And it's not as if Thompson is "defenseless"; he saw it coming for two steps! Just stupid that something that is so fundamental to the game (wrap up and tackle) can result in an ejection + 1/2 game suspension, overturning a turnover (hold on to the damn ball, Thompson!).

The defender did lower his head to deliver the hit with the crown of his helmet. In this case, the rule is to protect the defender as much as the ball carrier. The defender could break seriously injure his head or neck if he keeps tackling like that.

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 04:23 PM
5 for 5 in the red zone.

Love that stat!

UTEopia
09-07-2019, 04:48 PM
The defender did lower his head to deliver the hit with the crown of his helmet. In this case, the rule is to protect the defender as much as the ball carrier. The defender could break seriously injure his head or neck if he keeps tackling like that.

I disagree. The defender lowered his head to make the tackle and if the receiver did not then lower his head the point of contact would have been at the waist.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2019, 05:16 PM
I disagree. The defender lowered his head to make the tackle and if the receiver did not then lower his head the point of contact would have been at the waist.

Contact does not have to be with the ball carrier’s head for it to be targeting.

The college targeting rule bans two kinds of hits.

Any “forcible contact” to the head or neck area of defenseless opponent
Leading with the crown of the helmet to make “forcible contact” anywhere

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17492612/ncaa-targeting-rule-nfl-comparison

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/college-football-helmet-targeting-rule-explained

UTEopia
09-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Contact does not have to be with the ball carrier’s head for it to be targeting.

The college targeting rule bans two kinds of hits.

Any “forcible contact” to the head or neck area of defenseless opponent
Leading with the crown of the helmet to make “forcible contact” anywhere

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17492612/ncaa-targeting-rule-nfl-comparison

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/college-football-helmet-targeting-rule-explained

I'm not saying that it was not targeting by rule. I was agreeing with the post that Applejack's post that the rule as enforced is dumb. I would say that when the offensive player lowers his head such that there is he'd-to-head contact with the crowns of the head, that it should not be targeting.

SeattleUte
09-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Why didn’t Shelley do the garbage minutes?

Mormon Red Death
09-07-2019, 06:39 PM

I asked the same question. My only thought was they either want redshirt Shelly it let the senior lisk in

Applejack
09-07-2019, 06:48 PM

I've heard rumors that lisk is ahead of Shelley. Probably that plus maybe wanting to redshirt Shelley?

SeattleUte
09-07-2019, 07:51 PM
I asked the same question. My only thought was they either want redshirt Shelly it let the senior lisk in

He hasn’t already been redshirted?

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 08:34 PM
I want BYU to win tonight. 23-23 in OT right now. It’ll add luster to our beating them convincingly.

SeattleUte
09-07-2019, 08:52 PM
I want BYU to win tonight. 23-23 in OT right now. It’ll add luster to our beating them convincingly.

What kind of a fool Utah fan wouldn’t want BYU to win every game after Utah beats them? A fool like Sancho. Who else?

Applejack
09-07-2019, 08:56 PM
What kind of a fool Utah fan wouldn’t want BYU to win every game after Utah beats them? A fool like Sancho. Who else?

Haha. Who would cheer for them (without a relative on their team, I mean)? Good for your boy.

But Tennessee? Woof. They will win next week and that might be it for the year.

SeattleUte
09-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Haha. Who would cheer for them (without a relative on their team, I mean)? Good for your boy.

But Tennessee? Woof. They will win next week and that might be it for the year.

I bet BYU fans will figure it out that they should want Tennessee to win from now on.

Ma'ake
09-07-2019, 09:35 PM

Against Tennessee, it helps Utah a bit that BYU won.

The next two weeks, gotta support the conference.

After that, BYU wins help the Utes, a little. (Of course, we need to take care of business, else it doesn't matter).

I think our recruiting overlap has gotten smaller, and we've disabused ourselves of the idea that because we're a PAC school, we'll be able to keep the highest quality kids in state.

(I'm really happy the Holy War is over, for this season. That was a nice fringe benefit of last week.)

Mormon Red Death
09-07-2019, 09:46 PM

The fool that had khabib and Tennessee on a moneyline parlay

mUUser
09-07-2019, 10:47 PM

After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us. 😢

LA Ute
09-07-2019, 11:39 PM
After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us. [emoji22]

Yes, but who cares?

Applejack
09-08-2019, 05:47 AM
I bet BYU fans will figure it out that they should want Tennessee to win from now on.

Sorry to disappoint our cougar brethren, but Tennessee ain't going to pull up that SOS! I predict 3 wins on the year for the Vols.

LA Ute
09-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Sooo.... Back to the Utah game. I was in my office working, but had the game playing on my iPad thanks to Sling TV. I watched, but not closely. What was wrong with our secondary during the first half? Just wondering about the big plays we gave up.

We clearly fixed that in the second half. Kragthorpe:

Defensive end Bradlee Anae recorded two of his three sacks in the second half as the Utes held NIU to 69 total yards, after allowing 233 yards before halftime.

That total included an 88-yard drive and a 74-yard TD pass, while Blackmon was briefly sidelined with an injury. NIU quarterback Ross Bowers, a transfer from California, passed for 202 yards in the first half. But he threw for only 27 yards in the second half, while losing 20 yards via sacks.

In the second half, Utah's defense “came out with a more pissed-off attitude,” Anae said.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/09/07/live-no-utah-takes/

Diehard Ute
09-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Sooo.... Back to the Utah game. I was in my office working, but had the game playing on my iPad thanks to Sling TV. I watched, but not closely. What was wrong with our secondary during the first half? Just wondering about the big plays we gave up.

We clearly fixed that in the second half. Kragthorpe:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/09/07/live-no-utah-takes/

Both of those drives came while Blackmon was on the sidelines with a tweaked knee. Some of it likely had to do with second stringers with not much game time under their belts making mistakes.

It’s also worth noting Leki Fotu was out yesterday as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LA Ute
09-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Even without Fotu the D-line was great at pressuring the QB. I hope our backup DBs improve with experience. Otherwise injuries will be a big deal.

SeattleUte
09-08-2019, 10:35 AM
After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us. 

It depends on how ambitious you are for the Utes. With the position our conference has gotten itself into for national respect, if the Utes are on the margin for a Final Four or Big Bowl berth, preseason matters a lot. If the course of the season shows that they played a stout pre-season it could make the difference.

I have for a very long in general time found both BYU and Utah fan bases to be appalling. Lowest common denominator of the respective institutions’ constituents. If you know me that won’t surprise you.

LA Ute
09-08-2019, 12:09 PM
It depends on how ambitious you are for the Utes. With the position our conference has gotten itself into for national respect, if the Utes are on the margin for a Final Four or Big Bowl berth, preseason matters a lot. If the course of the season shows that they played a stout pre-season it could make the difference.

I have for a very long in general time found both BYU and Utah fan bases to be appalling. Lowest common denominator of the respective institutions’ constituents. If you know me that won’t surprise you.

I agree with you regarding the folks who populate fan message boards. I’m generalizing, but they tend to represent the worst traits of the rest of their fan base. There are many exceptions here and elsewhere.

As for BYU, I’m almost always happy to see them lose, but you are right. At the regular season’s end our bowl and playoff fate may be decided by the tiniest of margins. We have an interest in every one of Utah’s non-conference opponents doing well. The better they do, the better we look. That’s just reality.

U-Ute
09-09-2019, 08:21 AM

I have given up trying to understand the targeting rule.

U-Ute
09-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Watching Tennessee fans melt down a week after Cougar fans melt down is like extra whipped cream on a chocolate sundae.

U-Ute
09-09-2019, 08:24 AM
This seems like something PAC-12 refs would do.

sancho
09-09-2019, 08:36 AM
As for BYU, I’m almost always happy to see them lose, but you are right. At the regular season’s end our bowl and playoff fate may be decided by the tiniest of margins. We have an interest in every one of Utah’s non-conference opponents doing well. The better they do, the better we look. That’s just reality.

The odds of this happening are so low that it makes more sense to just root against BYU.

SeattleUte
09-09-2019, 11:53 AM
The odds of this happening are so low that it makes more sense to just root against BYU.

If I were you, I would not reveal that I am this kind of person.

Applejack
09-09-2019, 01:04 PM
If I were you, I would not reveal that I am this kind of person.

LOL. SeattleUte shaming people who cheer against BYU. Let the second coming commence....

LA Ute
09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
LOL. SeattleUte shaming people who cheer against BYU. Let the second coming commence....

His views are evolving and his stony heart is softening. Be gentle with him.

UtahsMrSports
09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
The good news for every poster here that isn't essentially a saturday morning cartoon is that you can safely cheer for BYU to lose the next two weeks and still hold to your core philosophy.

SeattleUte
09-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Sancho's nihilism is breathtaking. His reasoning: Utah is so unlikely to ever attain an opportunity such that the quality of its preseason schedule will ever matter that he'd rather indulge his private masturbatory hope that BYU loses. Gross, and sad.

LA Ute
09-09-2019, 03:35 PM
The good news for every poster here that isn't essentially a saturday morning cartoon is that you can safely cheer for BYU to lose the next two weeks and still hold to your core philosophy.

The way I see it we are talking about sports. Games! No need to get into a discussion of nihilistic anything. I cheer for my team, the Utes, and I hope for outcomes in other teams' games that benefit my team. So if BYU winning helps the Utes, I am fine with that. Still, because I find many of their fans insufferable, I don't shed any tears when BYU loses.

sancho
09-09-2019, 03:46 PM
The way I see it we are talking about sports. Games! No need to get into a discussion of nihilistic anything. I cheer for my team, the Utes, and I hope for outcomes in other teams' games that benefit my team. So if BYU winning helps the Utes, I am fine with that. Still, because I find many of their fans insufferable, I don't shed any tears when BYU loses.

I just root for my team and against my rival. It's not complicated or unusual. It may be nihilistic. I don't really know. I'm certain it's not masturbatory. Seattle is known for misusing big words, but something tells me he knows what that one means.

SeattleUte
09-09-2019, 03:57 PM

It's a mystery why these games matter so much. There was a freakonomiks podcast about it--the hugely outsized role of sports in media and culture. It's a sliver of a university's financial picture, and the cardboard box industry is larger than all pro sports combined. The practical outcome of any game on anyone--except the participants and betters--is nil. Yet fans live and die by it; allow themselves to become pigs over it. It's revolting if you think about it--I loathe myself for it, as I've been a Ute fan since I was seven (and have a clear memory of my first game). I'm sure it's about dopamine levels. Spectator sports, the opiate of the masses.

LA Ute
09-09-2019, 04:02 PM
I just root for my team and against my rival. It's not complicated or unusual. It may be nihilistic. I don't really know. I'm certain it's not masturbatory. Seattle is known for misusing big words, but something tells me he knows what that one means.

Nihilism is "the rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the belief that life is meaningless." I don't think that's an apt description of sports fans cheering against their team's rival. :rofl:

If it is, then the ardent fans of UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Florida are a bunch of nihilists because they regularly cheer for their rivals to lose.

So -- ardent UCLA fans are happy when USC loses and vice-versa. It's part of being a sports fan. Some mentally deranged people are even happy when the Dodgers lose. :mad:

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2568&stc=1

USS Utah
09-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Simple fact, BYU will win or lose regardless of what I do or do not do. Nothing I do will have any impact on their season. For that matter, nothing I do will impact the Ute's season. Since I literally have no control over these things, I'm just going to step back and enjoy whatever happens.

U-Ute
09-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Simple fact, BYU will win or lose regardless of what I do or do not do. Nothing I do will have any impact on their season. For that matter, nothing I do will impact the Ute's season. Since I literally have no control over these things, I'm just going to step back and enjoy whatever happens.

p4u9xZS