PDA

View Full Version : The 2020 Conference Play Thread

DrumNFeather
01-02-2020, 04:16 PM
The OOC schedule has been put to bed (for about 10 days now).

The Utes head into their league schedule at 9-3, and, as of this writing, 2 Q1 wins (Kentucky, Minnesota) and 2 Q2 wins (BYU, @Nevada). Their NET ranking is 58, and their KenPom ranking is 109.

This leads us to conference play, where six of the next seven games will be against NET top 100 teams, starting tonight with Oregon St. in the Huntsman Center.

Oregon St. is 76 in the NET and has a win over Iowa St (which is now a Q3 win after Iowa St. lost to Florida A&M), and losses to Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Tres Tinkle and Timmy Allen are the top two scorers in the league to start conference play, so it should be an interesting battle.

If you believe as I do, that the Utes need to win 8-10 games in conference to potentially make the NCAA Tournament, then tonight is one of those critical games. Utah is a 2 point favorite in this game.

sancho
01-02-2020, 04:32 PM
If you believe as I do, that the Utes need to win 8-10 games in conference to potentially make the NCAA Tournament, then tonight is one of those critical games. Utah is a 2 point favorite in this game.

I'm surprised we are favored. Tinkle is one of the best players in the conference. Big game for both teams. We have such a brutal start. How many of our first 6 do we need to win in order to still have confidence?

sancho
01-02-2020, 07:11 PM
So far, so good! Keep it up, Utes. I love when Gach has his aggressive attitude.

sancho
01-02-2020, 07:36 PM
After decades of coaches saying "we're gonna put the run back in Runnin' Utes," this year's team may actually deliver. Gach and Allen are very good in transition.

sancho
01-02-2020, 07:40 PM
After decades of coaches saying "we're gonna put the run back in Runnin' Utes," this year's team may actually deliver. Gach and Allen are very good in transition.

Counterpoint: we take the shot clock down to 0 on an unhealthy percentage of possessions.

Mormon Red Death
01-02-2020, 08:26 PM
#gachscratchfever

Mormon Red Death
01-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Good start To conference play. When we make our free throws we are So much better

DrumNFeather
01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Good start To conference play. When we make our free throws we are So much better

Yes sir! Tough stretch coming up, so this is one we had to have. Sole possession of first place for like 15 more minutes!

chrisrenrut
01-03-2020, 04:59 AM
Fun game. We played well and beat a good team. Shots were falling, especially from 3 point range. Not a great crowd, but a few dunks and hustle plays energized the arena.

SeattleUte
01-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Saturday will be the harbinger. I could see us losing by 36 or eking out a win. I'm not making any predictions, though.

UTEopia
01-03-2020, 01:58 PM
This is off topic, but I caught a few minutes of Mike Newlin being interviewed by Bill Reilly. It was an interesting interview. Newlin talked about how he was recruited and had offers from a bunch of different schools, including UCLA and Stanford. He said he had offers to play both basketball and football at UCLA and believed that he had to play both in order to go to UCLA. Although he definitely considered Stanford, at the time only the conference champion went to the NCAA tournament and he believed he had a much better shot to get there at Utah than at Stanford as the Utes had been to the Final 4 twice in the mid-60's. He calculated that by the time he got to the NBA he had spent almost 16,000 hours practicing.

Scorcho
01-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Saturday will be the harbinger. I could see us losing by 36 or eking out a win. I'm not making any predictions, though.

a win certainly helps build a tournament resume. Although, honestly a lot would have to break Utah’s way for them to be in the dance this year.

SeattleUte
01-03-2020, 03:31 PM
This is off topic, but I caught a few minutes of Mike Newlin being interviewed by Bill Reilly. It was an interesting interview. Newlin talked about how he was recruited and had offers from a bunch of different schools, including UCLA and Stanford. He said he had offers to play both basketball and football at UCLA and believed that he had to play both in order to go to UCLA. Although he definitely considered Stanford, at the time only the conference champion went to the NCAA tournament and he believed he had a much better shot to get there at Utah than at Stanford as the Utes had been to the Final 4 twice in the mid-60's. He calculated that by the time he got to the NBA he had spent almost 16,000 hours practicing.

He never did go to the NCAA playoffs with Utah. He had fine collegiate and NBA careers, though.

chrisrenrut
01-04-2020, 04:55 PM
Fun game. We played well and beat a good team. Shots were falling, especially from 3 point range. Not a great crowd, but a few dunks and hustle plays energized the arena.

Well, the shots didn’t fall nearly as well today, but we still battled and still kept things close against a very good Oregon team.

sancho
01-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Well, the shots didn’t fall nearly as well today, but we still battled and still kept things close against a very good Oregon team.

When we came back down 10, I thought we had it. Pritchard was very good for them in key moments. I think we called the final play for Jones. It makes sense; he is our best 3 point shooter. But I think we should have called it for Battin or Gach, simply because their size gives them a better chance of getting something off if the play falls apart, as it did. Also, Gach earned it. Hindsight.

SeattleUte
01-05-2020, 12:40 AM
I hate to watch our team in half court on either end. They seem so hapless.

Mormon Red Death
01-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Boy this game is brutal. Jones and reinger are the only quasi bright spots

Solon
01-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Boy this game is brutal. Jones and reinger are the only quasi bright spots

That was absolutely atrocious.
It's okay to lose sometimes.
But not by 39.... yuck.

sancho
01-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Ugh. The goodwill of the Kentucky win is going to evaporate quickly if we have a few more 40 point losses.

We need a split in Arizona next week.

sancho
01-12-2020, 09:59 PM
Arizona blown out by OSU tonight. The wildcats will be mad on Thursday. I think we lose big again. We gotta get the ASU game on Sat.

sancho
01-13-2020, 08:59 AM
I think this team needs Carlson to develop quickly. We need a post presence, and he's the only real hope.

I think our ideal starting lineup is Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson. We'd have Battin, Brenchley, and Thione coming off the bench.

Here's what we need from each player over the next year:

Jones: a great PG. He doesn't really do the drive and dish or drive at all, but otherwise, not much to ask.

Allen: First team all-conference potential. His size means he will struggle against certain teams, and he can't become the post presence we need. The best way to help the team would be to develop an outside shot.

Gach: He needs to be the guard who drives and dunks or drives and dishes. He needs better ball handling skills for this. He has the most potential on the team. He could become a great defender. He needs to be more consistent with his outside shot. He could also help by picking up some post moves, but that's probably off the priority list.

Carlson: Just needs moves in the post. Maybe he needs to add strength for that.

Jantunen: Needs an offensive game. A jumper and/or a post game. The energy and rebounding are there, and that will keep him on the floor.

Battin: I dunno. I think he just needs to keep doing what he's doing, but better. He's there to spread the floor, so he has to hit his shots. Maybe he can become more aggressive in the post.

Brenchley: Looks like a shooter. He needs to start making them. He's like PVD in years 1-3. Hopefully, it comes together for him faster than it did for PVD.

Thione: Just play defense, rebound, and dunk whenever possible. That will be his role throughout his career.

sancho
01-13-2020, 09:09 AM
We had an 8 game stretch in which we were supposed to go 0-8. We are 2-3 so far. If we finish the stretch 5-3, you can book our ticket to the dance right now. If we go 4-4, you'd have to like our chances. If we finish 3-5, I'll still have a glimmer of hope, depending on how we look in the win and the losses. If we finish 2-6, the dream is over.

UTEopia
01-13-2020, 01:54 PM
I would add to Sancho's list of what we need - every player, especially Carlson and Thione, need to get in the weight room.

concerned
01-13-2020, 04:01 PM
I would add to Sancho's list of what we need - every player, especially Carlson and Thione, need to get in the weight room.

Battin especially too. He is sooooo soft under the basket. Passes the ball back out or gets stuffed usually.

Solon
01-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Sigh.

SoCalPat
01-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Battin especially too. He is sooooo soft under the basket. Passes the ball back out or gets stuffed usually.

He doesn't have a quick elevator. Not light in the feet. That most likely will never change.

Mormon Red Death
01-17-2020, 06:40 AM
3 out of the last five we have been run out of the building. We need a 2 guard that can hit the corner 3.

sancho
01-17-2020, 08:38 AM
He doesn't have a quick elevator. Not light in the feet. That most likely will never change.

Battin could be a nice shooting option off the bench, but I think it's a bad sign if he's still starting next season.

sancho
01-17-2020, 08:46 AM
3 out of the last five we have been run out of the building. We need a 2 guard that can hit the corner 3.

I think Brenchley or Plummer could do that. Or Gach (though he was awful last night). I think the problem offensively is that we have no way to get the ball inside. Allen/Gach can drive at times (and when they can, there is a night and day difference in our offense), but we have no post threats at all to keep a defense honest. Even if we had your 2-guard, I don't think we can get shots for him.

We are now 2-4 in our 8 game murderer's row. Three of the losses were blowouts. Those three teams (SDSU, CU, and Zona) have something in common - they all have big men who can score. We have no interior defense at all. Zona killed us with three pointers last night, but it was inside out. They started by having Nnaji abuse Carlson in the post. Any team with a scoring big man is going to be licking their chops when they see Utah film. (The fourth loss came against a guard oriented team without much inside scoring, Oregon).

It is disheartening that we never made a run in any of those three blowout losses.

ASU has Romelo White averaging 11 pnts and 10 rebounds per game. I don't know how we deal with that tomorrow.

sancho
01-17-2020, 08:48 AM
We are now 2-4 in our 8 game murderer's row.

It is clear that we are not in the top tier of the Pac-12. The next two games dictate whether we can compete for the middle tier (5-8) or whether we are in the bottom tier (9-12).

SoCalPat
01-17-2020, 10:17 AM
We knew this team had some deficiencies coming into the year. But are they really that bad that we can't find a way to hide them and at least be remotely competitive? And our defense ... ugh.

How this team beat BYU is a mystery. Yeah, it was Childs' first game back. But they played SDSU to a 6-point game without him. At full strength, they've blown out Nevada and Weber by 30-plus -- two teams we really weren't dominant at all in for large stretches.

SoCalPat
01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
I think Brenchley or Plummer could do that. Or Gach (though he was awful last night). I think the problem offensively is that we have no way to get the ball inside. Allen/Gach can drive at times (and when they can, there is a night and day difference in our offense), but we have no post threats at all to keep a defense honest. Even if we had your 2-guard, I don't think we can get shots for him.

We are now 2-4 in our 8 game murderer's row. Three of the losses were blowouts. Those three teams (SDSU, CU, and Zona) have something in common - they all have big men who can score. We have no interior defense at all. Zona killed us with three pointers last night, but it was inside out. They started by having Nnaji abuse Carlson in the post. Any team with a scoring big man is going to be licking their chops when they see Utah film. (The fourth loss came against a guard oriented team without much inside scoring, Oregon).

It is disheartening that we never made a run in any of those three blowout losses.

ASU has Romelo White averaging 11 pnts and 10 rebounds per game. I don't know how we deal with that tomorrow.

I want the members of the crowd that insisted we wouldn't miss Jayce Johnson to stand up and be counted. Right now.

chrisrenrut
01-17-2020, 10:33 AM
I want the members of the crowd that insisted we wouldn't miss Jayce Johnson to stand up and be counted. Right now.

I'll stand up. I don't think I was jumping for joy when Jayce left, but I don't think we miss him that much.

You seriously think Jayce would make a difference? As the only center listed for Marquette, he is averaging 12 minutes a game, 3 points, 5 rebounds, and .4 blocks. How is that any sort of significant improvement over the 17 minutes, 5 points, 3.5 rebounds, and .8 blocks per game, and Lahat at 2 points, 3 rebounds, and .5 blocks?

sancho
01-17-2020, 12:59 PM
I'll stand up. I don't think I was jumping for joy when Jayce left, but I don't think we miss him that much.

You seriously think Jayce would make a difference? As the only center listed for Marquette, he is averaging 12 minutes a game, 3 points, 5 rebounds, and .4 blocks. How is that any sort of significant improvement over the 17 minutes, 5 points, 3.5 rebounds, and .8 blocks per game, and Lahat at 2 points, 3 rebounds, and .5 blocks?

I guess he's not being used at Marquette (although 5 rebounds in 12 minutes is pretty good), but he was 7 ppg, 8 rpg for us last season in about 20 mpg. And, more importantly, he didn't get pushed around by guys like Nnaji. If we still had him, he'd be getting the most minutes at the 5.

I like Carlson, Thione, and MVK, but I like their potential more than their ability. Carlson in particular seems capable of being a good offensive and defensive center.

Utebiquitous
01-17-2020, 05:54 PM
I really miss Jayce. I'd take his averages from last season right now. I'm really optimistic about Carlson - but he's a year away from putting up some numbers for us. My optimism that he'd make an impact early disippated quickly as we played the stronger teams. He'll get there but I wish we had Jayce as a bridge. I'll bet he may think the same thing. I sure wish this team - this staff - would recommit to defense. They should be staying in games better. I get one - maybe two - blowouts; but four games and counting where you're done at halftime is tough to see. We have the bodies to commit to defense. A few players have their shortcomings offensively but defense can come along quicker if coaching makes it a priority. It still mystifies me that defense is not the priority it once was. It seemed like the calling card for Larry the first few years. I certainly share the optimism for the next few years but I'd love it if this team could get a little tougher this season and finish at .500 or higher in league play.

UTEopia
01-18-2020, 06:16 PM

I would be shocked if Plummer sees any meaningful minutes after not fouling against Oregon. My guess is that he will not be here next year.

sancho
01-18-2020, 06:22 PM
I'm not expecting many minutes out of him either, but I don't think that will be the reason. I don't think Larry would hold that against him for long.

UTEopia
01-18-2020, 08:03 PM
I would be shocked if Plummer sees any meaningful minutes after not fouling against Oregon. My guess is that he will not be here next year.

I was clearly wrong.

sancho
01-18-2020, 09:21 PM
I was clearly wrong.

I guess Larry liked that Plummer shot well in garbage time against Zona. It is nice to have someone who will pull the trigger.

I'm bummed. I had very little hope going into the CU and Zona games, but I thought we had a chance tonight. We were awful. Watching Gach was painful. Unlike the last two losses, we didn't give up. We played hard all game, and we still got whooped. And by a bad team.

This might be the first time Larry's team doesn't exceed expectations.

Hurley is an embarrassment to Duke basketball.

SoCalPat
01-18-2020, 09:58 PM
I really miss Jayce. I'd take his averages from last season right now. I'm really optimistic about Carlson - but he's a year away from putting up some numbers for us. My optimism that he'd make an impact early disippated quickly as we played the stronger teams. He'll get there but I wish we had Jayce as a bridge. I'll bet he may think the same thing. I sure wish this team - this staff - would recommit to defense. They should be staying in games better. I get one - maybe two - blowouts; but four games and counting where you're done at halftime is tough to see. We have the bodies to commit to defense. A few players have their shortcomings offensively but defense can come along quicker if coaching makes it a priority. It still mystifies me that defense is not the priority it once was. It seemed like the calling card for Larry the first few years. I certainly share the optimism for the next few years but I'd love it if this team could get a little tougher this season and finish at .500 or higher in league play.

We're not finishing .500 in league play. Wazzu blowing our doors off next week ain't out of the question.

Agreed on your sentiments on defense. It's a near 180 from Larry's first 4 years.

SeattleUte
01-21-2020, 11:43 AM
If we didn't know better, we'd have a lot of reason to be optimistic for the future and regard this team as a foundation and enjoy the ride. This team is not unlike 1993-94 (I think), Van Horn's freshman year. That team finished .500 and lost to BYU by 40 in the Wac tournament, the day that Van Horn learned his father had died. In retrospect, that game was the beginning of the end for Roger Reid. But I will believe that this coach can keep this team together and move it forward when I see it. So I feel only despair about this program. Actually, not despair, more apathy. I have a rule that I don't let my teams' problems become my own. I'm happy to share in the wins and the good times.

Scorcho
01-21-2020, 12:23 PM
the game this Thursday will be interesting. I've watched UW a little bit. At times they look like they could be a sweet 16 team, and then other times they look horrible. They're incredibly long and athletic and that zone limits three pointers. Their freshman center should be a top 5 lottery pick next year. He'll dominate us. The rest of their team looks a little lost since they lost their starting guard (Quade). I don't know who are best mid range shooter/passer is, but he'll have to play right around the foul line and knock down some easy jumpers for Utah to have a shot.

sancho
01-21-2020, 02:39 PM
the game this Thursday will be interesting. I've watched UW a little bit. At times they look like they could be a sweet 16 team, and then other times they look horrible. They're incredibly long and athletic and that zone limits three pointers. Their freshman center should be a top 5 lottery pick next year. He'll dominate us. The rest of their team looks a little lost since they lost their starting guard (Quade). I don't know who are best mid range shooter/passer is, but he'll have to play right around the foul line and knock down some easy jumpers for Utah to have a shot.

This is a bad match up for us. Allen will have a hard time against their length, and we don't have anyone who can stop Isaiah Stewart. He's averaging 18/9 with 2 bpg.

SoCalPat
01-22-2020, 11:28 AM
If we didn't know better, we'd have a lot of reason to be optimistic for the future and regard this team as a foundation and enjoy the ride. This team is not unlike 1993-94 (I think), Van Horn's freshman year. That team finished .500 and lost to BYU by 40 in the Wac tournament, the day that Van Horn learned his father had died. In retrospect, that game was the beginning of the end for Roger Reid. But I will believe that this coach can keep this team together and move it forward when I see it. So I feel only despair about this program. Actually, not despair, more apathy. I have a rule that I don't let my teams' problems become my own. I'm happy to share in the wins and the good times.

The 1993-94 team lost seven games by 3 points or less, and didn't lose by 20-plus to anyone until the aforementioned BYU game -- its largest MOD was 16 points, at Hawaii (which won the WAC Tournament that year). I'll go ahead and say this year's team is trending nowhere near to the 1993-94 team.

Also, your timeline on KVH is off -- he missed a game earlier that year because of his pops' death, but it didn't happen around the BYU game. It was several weeks prior.

SoCalPat
01-22-2020, 11:31 AM
This is a bad match up for us. Allen will have a hard time against their length, and we don't have anyone who can stop Isaiah Stewart. He's averaging 18/9 with 2 bpg.

Yep. Our two lowest-scoring games last year came against Washington (98 total points). A team like Utah is the perfect pick-me-up for a team like UW, whose individual parts are probably greater than their sum right now. I'd be thrilled if we kept the MOD under 10 points.

Mormon Red Death
01-23-2020, 06:29 PM
It'd be nice if the hat could catch the ball

Mormon Red Death
01-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Allen Needs to make a 10 footer

Mormon Red Death
01-23-2020, 07:14 PM
Allen Needs to make a 10 footer

Why not take the unguarded shot one step in from the free throw line??

Scorcho
01-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Why not take the unguarded shot one step in from the free throw line??

Rylan Gach and Allen were awful tonight

Mormon Red Death
01-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Well how about that?

Scorcho
01-23-2020, 08:12 PM
Well how about that?

What I meant to say is Rylan is having a great game :)

Mormon Red Death
01-23-2020, 08:13 PM
We rebounded offensively the best we have in probably 3 years

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sancho
01-23-2020, 08:31 PM
I was shocked how soft UW's bigs are. Must be that fancy pants zone that takes the man out of them.

Battin MVP. Rylan MVP of the last 5 minutes.

Awful shooting. Awful FTs until the end. Great fight. Never gave up. Some great passing too. Carlson was great in the first half - I think his best game as a Ute.

So we end our 8 game murderer's row with a 3-5 record. I said 3-5 would be enough for me to keep hoping, so I'm still hoping. Go Utes!

Utebiquitous
01-24-2020, 12:22 AM
Fantastic game to attend in a really ugly sort of way. The Utes shooting was ugly and the officiating was ugly for a good part of the game. Somehow, the boys hung around and just kept competing. They defended the middle/paint well, got their hands on a lot of balls, really fought for rebounds and somehow did enough offensively to hang around. Jones' impact on this team is enormous. Even though his shot was awful tonight, he is so good in the half court handling the ball. While I wanted him to be a little more aggressive throughout the game (like he was late) and it was frustrating to watch them pass up the easy 10-12 footer so much, Jones really kept his composure and, as a result, kept the team composed. He was similar in the Oregon game.

Anyway, lots to work on but a good win. I can't imagine beating WSU if they shoot anywhere near as bad. If they get that one my hopes for .500 may not be far off.

Solon
01-24-2020, 07:59 AM
Fantastic game to attend in a really ugly sort of way. The Utes shooting was ugly and the officiating was ugly for a good part of the game. Somehow, the boys hung around and just kept competing. They defended the middle/paint well, got their hands on a lot of balls, really fought for rebounds and somehow did enough offensively to hang around. Jones' impact on this team is enormous. Even though his shot was awful tonight, he is so good in the half court handling the ball. While I wanted him to be a little more aggressive throughout the game (like he was late) and it was frustrating to watch them pass up the easy 10-12 footer so much, Jones really kept his composure and, as a result, kept the team composed. He was similar in the Oregon game.

Anyway, lots to work on but a good win. I can't imagine beating WSU if they shoot anywhere near as bad. If they get that one my hopes for .500 may not be far off.

I am still surprised that the refs called that last charge on UW. It felt like that type of contact had been called a block (both ways) all night.

The head-smack flagrant turned the game.
7 straight FTs without UW getting the ball.

concerned
01-24-2020, 08:09 AM
I am still surprised that the refs called that last charge on UW. It felt like that type of contact had been called a block (both ways) all night.

The head-smack flagrant turned the game.
7 straight FTs without UW getting the ball.

McDaniels really cost them the game--the stupid flagrant and then a few seconds later fouling Jones on the 3. Both completely unnecessary. Thy had a total loss of composure.

On the postgame, Larry said he used a coach's challenge to ask them to look at the flagrant foul. Was told he would lose a timeout if he lost the challenge. He said the risk was worth it. Could be the smartest end of game decision Larry has ever made. Kudos on that.

When Jatunen got called for the block where he was set for half an hour, his left foot was partly inside the circle. Maybe that was the difference.

sancho
01-24-2020, 08:41 AM
McDaniels really cost them the game--the stupid flagrant and then a few seconds later fouling Jones on the 3. Both completely unnecessary. Thy had a total loss of composure.

Yeah, they completely fell apart. The foul on a three was bad, but even worse was the later foul on Jones outside the three point line when Jones wasn't even shooting. That was two free points on a possession that was likely going nowhere. I wonder if Hopkins is getting blasted for his late game management on UW message boards.

Mormon Red Death
01-24-2020, 08:47 AM

On the postgame, Larry said he used a coach's challenge to ask them to look at the flagrant foul. Was told he would lose a timeout if he lost the challenge. He said the risk was worth it. Could be the smartest end of game decision Larry has ever made. Kudos on that.

When Jatunen got called for the block where he was set for half an hour, his left foot was partly inside the circle. Maybe that was the difference.

had that Januten play been reviewable it would have been a charge because he lifted up his left heel and was thus outside of the zone.

sancho
01-24-2020, 09:14 AM
If we can get Carlson to play like he did in the first half last night, we will not have any more 20+ point blowout losses. I'm so optimistic on this guy. He needs muscle and moves, but he has the tools.

We need someone to perform a basketball exorcism on Both Gach. I hoped his dunk last night might wake him up, but I don't think it did. Something is wrong with his game, and we need him back.

Mormon Red Death
01-25-2020, 07:18 PM
We're not finishing .500 in league play. Wazzu blowing our doors off next week ain't out of the question.

Agreed on your sentiments on defense. It's a near 180 from Larry's first 4 years.

Both games they played great defense

sancho
01-25-2020, 07:27 PM
Rylan Jones had a near perfect game.

Brandon Carlson must have looked at the message boards last week when people were wishing we had Jayce back. He's been great the past two games.

Jantunen could have been player of the game, but Rylan the Kid was too good.

Both Gach needs something to wake him up. Maybe a dip in the great salt lake? Maybe a plate of Taco's Don Ramon at the Red Iguana? Maybe a voodoo doll named Joe Boo?

Next week - a split on the road would be huge. We'd be 4-5 with 5 home/4 away remaining. A win over USC would be extremely unexpected and energizing.

Utebiquitous
01-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Red Death,
The Utes played really hard this week defensively. I wouldn't say their defense against Washington was great; but I think they executed a game plan well. It seemed to me that they decided to live with some three-point open looks and work hard in the middle. I didn't see today's game but I can't argue with the result. I'm thrilled to see them rebound with wins. We'll see how they do on another road trip. They need to play better on the road defensively. That's how they'll stay in games. A split next week is possible if they'll really commit to executing a defensive game plan on the road.

UTEopia
01-26-2020, 04:43 PM
I am not sure what to make about the coaches personnel decisions against WSU. Lahat and Plummer, who have both playing a few minutes lately did not get any minutes. I did not see anything in WSU's personnel that indicated to me that Lahat and Plummer could not get a few minutes.

sancho
01-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Our 3FG% is dropping fast. In order of attempts:

Gach is down to 27% in his awful slump.
Jones is down to 42% from 50% earlier, which means he must be shooting 30% for the past two weeks.
Battin steady at 37%.
Brenchley is up to 40%.
Plummer is at 32%.
Allen is at 22%.

The team is shooting 33% on the season.

Gach is losing minutes in his slump. His minutes per game for the past 10 games: 37, 34, 30, 35, 38, 29, 29, 22, 31, 26. He's gonna keep losing minutes to Brenchley and Plummer if he can't figure out how to contribute something.

Scorcho
01-29-2020, 03:40 PM
I'm expecting a loss at USC tomorrow, but hoping the Utes can grab a win at UCLA on Sunday afternoon

sancho
01-29-2020, 04:22 PM
I'm expecting a loss at USC tomorrow, but hoping the Utes can grab a win at UCLA on Sunday afternoon

I can live with a loss tomorrow, but another blowout loss will be completely deflating. If we want to believe that our wins against Washington schools meant something, we have to be competitive tomorrow.

I'm not sure what the numbers say, but my old memory says Larry is usually pretty good against Enfield.

DrumNFeather
01-30-2020, 02:17 PM
ASU got beat by Wazzu last night. Life on the road in the Pac 12 is tough man. WSU and Cal have both matched their league win totals from last year. If Washington doesn't beat Arizona tonight, they'll be 2-7 to start league play. Crazy.

We always seem to matchup well against USC for some reason...so I'm hopeful. I certainly like us +8.5 or whatever it is.

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Gach not starting

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2020, 08:11 PM
Is gach hurt?

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2020, 08:18 PM
Btw https://twitter.com/Joshua_Newman/status/1223071930078490625?s=19

sancho
01-30-2020, 08:57 PM
I hope this helps him out. Something needs to happen to get him back on track.

sancho
01-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Tough loss. Brenchley with two away from the ball fouls in the last few minutes. Gifted them 4 points. Carlson's missed FTs. And Timmy Allen's last shot was just not a good match up all night.

Scorcho
01-31-2020, 08:51 AM
it was painful watching us trying to get any open shots most of the last 10 minutes. Their bigs are athletic enough to switch on screens and guard any of our quicker players. We couldn't get many open looks. That game was Utah's to steal.

sancho
01-31-2020, 09:40 AM
it was painful watching us trying to get any open shots most of the last 10 minutes. Their bigs are athletic enough to switch on screens and guard any of our quicker players. We couldn't get many open looks. That game was Utah's to steal.

It sure was, and it was the kind of steal that would have kept postseason hopes alive.

I think we've struggled all season with big teams (except Kentucky). Allen can't get his offense going against those long defenders of SDSU, UW, USC, CU, and Zona.

Mormon Red Death
01-31-2020, 11:15 AM
ASU got beat by Wazzu last night. Life on the road in the Pac 12 is tough man. WSU and Cal have both matched their league win totals from last year. If Washington doesn't beat Arizona tonight, they'll be 2-7 to start league play. Crazy.

We always seem to matchup well against USC for some reason...so I'm hopeful. I certainly like us +8.5 or whatever it is.

I took your advice.

Utebiquitous
01-31-2020, 11:49 AM
Tough loss but I didn't expect it to be very close so I don't think the glass is half empty. We defended really well. Rylan Jones' composure continues to have a great effect. Carlson had some really nice moments as did Battin and Brenchley. I don't know that either of the fouls on Brenchley were fouls. Really questionable. The free throws missed by Timmy and Carlson late were killers.

The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt. Not coincidental that it's Timmy again. While he certainly is the offensive leader of this team, I really question his decision-making in both games. Against Oregon it was an ill-advised three with plenty of time on the clock. Last night, the defender has him dead to rights but he shoots (really almost hands) the ball anyway. Nothing like a two-handed block/grab of the ball. I don't mean to be overly critical of Tim. It makes me wonder if the coaches are working with him on end of game situations and helping him expand his game. He absolutely had a step back in the lane if it was in his repertoire. I love his willingness to take tough shots but he's got to get the game to do more than drive to the hoop. If a coach will take him aside in the off season and really help tweak his shooting form and help him develop an outside shot he may be a next level player.

sancho
01-31-2020, 01:13 PM
The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt.

Well, remember that we closed out well in some other close games this season.

I agree on the Brenchley calls. Those were questionable and crucial calls. Four free points late in a game where neither team could score.

Utebiquitous
01-31-2020, 02:03 PM
You're right Sancho - we have closed well in a few. I just remain a little bitter about ending halfs and ending games better under Larry. I do think that to your point of some better finishes this season that we point to Rylan. BYU, Washington and WSU were all games where he took control late. That's really something. He just knows how to play. That ability seems to be infectious with many others on the team and bodes well for the future.

I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.

sancho
01-31-2020, 03:21 PM
I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.

UCLA beat CU, so either the Bruins are coming into their own, or they used up their luck already this week. I don't think I've seen any of UCLA this season.

Mormon Red Death
02-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Great game! Carlsen was terrific

Mormon Red Death
02-07-2020, 07:57 AM
If Carlsen continues to play like that they could finish .500 in league play. Key stat of the night: Carlsen 1 foul

sancho
02-07-2020, 08:16 AM
If we want to keep the "exceeds preseason expectations" streak alive, we need to beat Cal. We'd be 5-6, likely in 7th place, and just a half game behind a couple teams. Even though the postseason probably won't happen, the team is fun to watch for the most part. The long scoring droughts in every game are not fun to watch, though.

mUUser
02-07-2020, 10:26 AM
The team isn't built to win this season, so this is a fun, pleasant surprise. Regardless of the outcome I love date nights with my wife, but wins this season is just icing on the cake. I think the core of this team will stick together the next two years.

Utebiquitous
02-07-2020, 01:14 PM
What a defensive performance by the Utes! Carlson was definitely the head of the snake but I saw terrific play from every player out there. I really love Jantuunen's effort in particular.

The threes in overtime for Brenchley were terrific. Great to see a freshman have success in moments that really matter - gotta be a big boost for his confidence. His drive and dish to Carlson for the dunk provided the proverbial nail in the coffin as well. Great game.

sancho
02-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Here it is - the great chance to get to .500 in conference play. It won't come around again. Gotta beat the Beavers!

Mormon Red Death
02-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Here's how I think the conference will pan out:

8-3 Colorado - @ Oregons, Socals, @Nocals @ Utah Predicted finish #1 14-4 (Lose to Oregon)
7-4 Oregon - Mountains, @ AZs , Ore St , Nocals Predicted finish 13-5 (Lose @ AZ)
6-4 Arizona - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 13-5 (Lose @ USC)
6-4 ASU - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 10-8 (Lose @Stanford, Oregon, @ USC, @UCLa)

6-5 USC - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, UCLA Predicted finish 12-8 (Lose @ Colo @ Utah)
6-5 UCLA - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, USC Predicted finish 10-8 (Lose @ Colo, @ Utah @ USC)
5-5 Stanford - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 8-10 (Lose AZ, Colo, Utah , Ore, @ Oregon St)
5-6 Utah - @ Oregons , Socals, @ Nocals Colo Predicted Finish 9-9 (Lose @ Ore , Colo, USC)
5-6 Wazzu @Socals, NoCALs @ Wash, @ AZ Predicted Finish 6-12 ( Lose @USC, @UCLA, Stanford, @Wash, @AZ, @ASU)
4-6 Cal - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 4-14 (Lose All games)
4-7 Ore st Mountains, @ AZs , Oregon , Nocals Predicted finish 6-12 (beat Stanford & Cal)
2-9 Wash @Socals, NoCALs , Wazzu @ AZ predicted Finish 3-15

Predicted tournament seeds

Colorado
Arizona (win the tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
Oregon
USC
UCLA (Win tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
ASU
Utah
Stanford
Oreg st
Wazzu
CaL
Wash

chrisrenrut
02-13-2020, 12:10 AM
Here's how I think the conference will pan out:

8-3 Colorado - @ Oregons, Socals, @Nocals @ Utah Predicted finish #1 14-4 (Lose to Oregon)
7-4 Oregon - Mountains, @ AZs , Ore St , Nocals Predicted finish 13-5 (Lose @ AZ)
6-4 Arizona - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 13-5 (Lose @ USC)
6-4 ASU - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 10-8 (Lose @Stanford, Oregon, @ USC, @UCLa)

6-5 USC - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, UCLA Predicted finish 12-8 (Lose @ Colo @ Utah)
6-5 UCLA - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, USC Predicted finish 10-8 (Lose @ Colo, @ Utah @ USC)
5-5 Stanford - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 8-10 (Lose AZ, Colo, Utah , Ore, @ Oregon St)
5-6 Utah - @ Oregons , Socals, @ Nocals Colo Predicted Finish 9-9 (Lose @ Ore , Colo, USC)
5-6 Wazzu @Socals, NoCALs @ Wash, @ AZ Predicted Finish 6-12 ( Lose @USC, @UCLA, Stanford, @Wash, @AZ, @ASU)
4-6 Cal - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 4-14 (Lose All games)
4-7 Ore st Mountains, @ AZs , Oregon , Nocals Predicted finish 6-12 (beat Stanford & Cal)
2-9 Wash @Socals, NoCALs , Wazzu @ AZ predicted Finish 3-15

Predicted tournament seeds

Colorado
Arizona (win the tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
Oregon
USC
UCLA (Win tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
ASU
Utah
Stanford
Oreg st
Wazzu
CaL
Wash

I just hope we can get one win in the tournament. Haven’t we lost in the first game we have played the last 3 years? Or does it just seem that long.

Scorcho
02-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Donnie Tillman is struggling at UNLV, last 4 games:

at halft tonight and hasn't played yet
7 mins 2 points
26 mins 8 points
19 mins 5 points

Mormon Red Death
02-16-2020, 07:59 PM
Well... They won't shot 70% from 3 in the second half right?... Right?

Scorcho
02-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Well... They won't shot 70% from 3 in the second half right?... Right?

crazy to think we started off the year 1-0 in true road games and haven't won one since.

chrisrenrut
02-17-2020, 02:31 PM
I’ll be glad to see Pritchard gone after these long 7 years, but this is kind of cool

Scorcho
02-18-2020, 10:33 AM
a Utefan on twitter hinted that Larry might be bought out after this season. Its someone I've never seen on my twitter feed before, so I have my doubts that its legitimate.

Certainly Utah's fanbase seems to be hedging towards making a change, but I don't know if Harlan is there quite yet, or better yet the handful of influential boosters who will nudge Harlan one way or another?

SoCalPat
02-18-2020, 02:45 PM
a Utefan on twitter hinted that Larry might be bought out after this season. Its someone I've never seen on my twitter feed before, so I have my doubts that its legitimate.

Certainly Utah's fanbase seems to be hedging towards making a change, but I don't know if Harlan is there quite yet, or better yet the handful of influential boosters who will nudge Harlan one way or another?

Harlan could get a check for Larry's buyout tomorrow and he probably wouldn't take it. But it would probably be enough for him to start a behind-the-scenes search for a change after 2020-21, and it'll become apparent well before Selection Sunday whether or not we're an NCAA Tournament team.

Then again, if you send up a flare and Brian Dutcher's agent is calling you at all hours of the night, you can safely proceed.

Mormon Red Death
02-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Harlan could get a check for Larry's buyout tomorrow and he probably wouldn't take it. But it would probably be enough for him to start a behind-the-scenes search for a change after 2020-21, and it'll become apparent well before Selection Sunday whether or not we're an NCAA Tournament team.

Then again, if you send up a flare and Brian Dutcher's agent is calling you at all hours of the night, you can safely proceed.
How about when Belein gets fired by Cleveland

UTEopia
02-18-2020, 06:37 PM

Who are the big money donors for basketball? It used to be Jon Huntsman, but I have had some interaction with some of his children and I don't think they are all that interested. Spence Eccles has been more visible at Utah basketball games than in the past, but he is probably more interested in football. The Garff's put up some big money for the SEZ. Are there any other big donors out there? Utah consistently lags behind most everyone in the PAC in annual giving, so I don't know who would be writing that check.

SoCalPat
02-18-2020, 09:23 PM
Who are the big money donors for basketball? It used to be Jon Huntsman, but I have had some interaction with some of his children and I don't think they are all that interested. Spence Eccles has been more visible at Utah basketball games than in the past, but he is probably more interested in football. The Garff's put up some big money for the SEZ. Are there any other big donors out there? Utah consistently lags behind most everyone in the PAC in annual giving, so I don't know who would be writing that check.

Might be a question for SeattleUte.

SoCalPat
02-18-2020, 09:32 PM
How about when Belein gets fired by Cleveland

I thought I turned a corner with Larry when he took us to two NCAA Tournaments. Even the NIT Finals year was enjoyable. But it says a lot when you have little to no faith in a coach, in spite of him having two of the most memorable victories in program history. The ups and downs simply should not be coming like this, nine years into his tenure.

At the same time, you wanna scare off the general populace, you fire a coach months after he's brought in a top-10 recruiting class. Then, if he proves he can't win with such a class, people will be lined up around the block, begging for a shot at the job. Is Belein worth firing Larry for a year early? I honestly don't know.

My mindset on Larry is the same now as it was last offseason. I hope the kids have some great memories, both on the court and off, and that they look fondly upon their time at Utah. I don't openly root for Utah to lose, but I'm not going to be distraught if we don't. It's been a long time since I really got mad over a Utah loss. If anything, the most upsetting thing to happen to Utah hoops this year was to find out (via being put on probation) that Tommy Connor was given CIW status. You wanna talk about a program that lost it's way and doesn't have a clue, a move like that was more symbolic than any botched final set or inbounds play we've seen from Larry.

UtahsMrSports
02-19-2020, 08:19 AM
I took a look back through our recruiting classes from 2015-2017. I looked at high school seniors only.

2015- Makol Mawien. Redshirted a year then was booted. I think at the time he was behind Jayce (who enrolled a semester early) and Dave at the 5. Hes done pretty well for himself at K-State.

2016-Jayce Johnson: Played three years and gave us solid rebounding and a few putbacks. Grad transferred because he thought he should be more important on offense than his abilities. Hardly contributing for a very good Marquette team.
Devon Daniels: Played one year here and was booted off the team. Averaging 12.1 points, 5 boards, 2.1 assists and 1.7 steals for NC State as a junior.
Chris Seeley: Redshirted and then played a year before transferring. Now a non-rotation player at Fresno State.

2017-Donnie Tillman: Two years. Had some behind the scenes disciplinary problems that have only continued at UNLV. Not committed to basketball, at all.
Vante Hendrix: Redshirted one year, then left the team less tahn a month into the season. Going for 10 points and 4 boards at UNM.
Christian Popoola: Redshirted a year/played a year and then left after being a nonfactor. Putting up 9 points, 3 boards, and 3 assists on a pretty darn good SLCC team.
Branden Carlson/Jaxon Brenchley- completing thier first season as Utes, make more sense as 2019 recruits.

So............3 years and not one player made it all the way through. Of those 7 guys, 2 weren't good enough. 1 was delusional. 4 had a range of issues. There is blame to go around here, but the bottom line is that we went through 3 straight recruiting classes on the heels of a trip to teh sweet 16 and got jack squat out of it. Granted, there were good juco/transfers in there that helped us get to where we needed and there were other issues (Larry's cancer during that time for one. Larry swinging for the fences but striking out in 2016).

I think we have seen a shift in how Larry recruits. I hope that he can hang on to the players this year.

Ill put this down for posterity to see: We will make the next 3 NCAA tournaments at least.

sancho
02-19-2020, 09:05 AM
2016-Jayce Johnson: Played three years and gave us solid rebounding and a few putbacks. Grad transferred because he thought he should be more important on offense than his abilities. Hardly contributing for a very good Marquette team.

I watched the 2nd half of Marquette/Villanova last week, and Jayce was on the floor in crunch time. He made a few plays. I think he wanted to go to the tournament, and it looks like he will get to experience that.

Utebiquitous
02-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Uteopia,
Big money donors are or could be Kem Gardner, Richie Smith, Spence Eccles Sr, and potentially the Huntsmans. The Huntsmans have shown less interest but they and Kem Gardner were by far the greatest supporters of the Basketball facility with the Huntsman's allowing athletics to use the family jet to visit other facilities in the planning stages. Two factors are at work here and they are inter-related: Harlan's relationship with each of them and Jim Soto not being at the U anymore. Jim left because he has no respect for Harlan. Jim was the primary relationship with Gardner, Smith and the Huntsmans. Smith will most likely not give to the U while Harlan is there. The same can be said for the McCarthy's. I think the big three - Huntsman's Eccle's and Gardner's - would all still give significantly but Harlan has some work to do there and would maybe still need the President by his side to make an ask.

Scorcho
02-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Uteopia,
Big money donors are or could be Kem Gardner, Richie Smith, Spence Eccles Sr, and potentially the Huntsmans. The Huntsmans have shown less interest but they and Kem Gardner were by far the greatest supporters of the Basketball facility with the Huntsman's allowing athletics to use the family jet to visit other facilities in the planning stages. Two factors are at work here and they are inter-related: Harlan's relationship with each of them and Jim Soto not being at the U anymore. Jim left because he has no respect for Harlan. Jim was the primary relationship with Gardner, Smith and the Huntsmans. Smith will most likely not give to the U while Harlan is there. The same can be said for the McCarthy's. I think the big three - Huntsman's Eccle's and Gardner's - would all still give significantly but Harlan has some work to do there and would maybe still need the President by his side to make an ask.

I didn't know that about Soto and Harlan. Its surprising because they both seem very level-headed.

sancho
02-19-2020, 06:25 PM
I watched the 2nd half of Marquette/Villanova last week, and Jayce was on the floor in crunch time. He made a few plays. I think he wanted to go to the tournament, and it looks like he will get to experience that.

I have a co-worker who is a big Marquette fan. We were talking today, and she told me that Jayce accidentally smacked Markus Howard in his broken nose in the game against Creighton last night. That got a good laugh - totally sounds like Jayce.

sancho
02-20-2020, 10:12 PM
We may never win again.

Old Standing ute
02-21-2020, 08:36 AM
Uteopia,

As I have been told I do not know any of these people or what they are thinking—so for what it is worth — Smiths gave up their tickets, & McCarthy there last night—sitting next to Jimmy pre-game. Huntsmans are being asked to donate to the face lift to the arena—new entrance & other upgrades. Kem will also be involved in that—may get a name plug. Spence is not that into basketball, ski team his passion. So money is not there for a buy out—vent all you want about Larry, but try to watch the games too.

P.S. As to last night—Rylan Jones had the flu all week—did not practice. It is obvious it is time to sit Battin & start Jantunen. Not sure if they start Plummer or stick with Gach—he needs a shot doctor (ICU).

And what do they do about FT shooting? Brenchley makes 1 of 3–barely draws iron on the first? they make their FTS first half & have the lead.

sancho
02-21-2020, 08:47 AM
I know some people believe we'll be good next season, but I'm not convinced. We are towards the bottom of an okay conference, and we are fading fast. We're getting blown out by so-so teams. Experience matters a lot, especially when some of the other good teams in the conference are running on one and done's. But does a year of experience cover the 20 point blowouts we've suffered all season? I hope so.

We have a good PG, a promising center, and some other pieces. We have almost no shooting and don't rebound or defend particularly well. I'm not certain that another year of experience and a few new faces will be enough to move us up into the dance. It will require that our players improve significantly and/or our newcomers are lights out as freshmen.

If we were a bubble team, or if we were close in these losses, I would feel a lot more optimism. I think the team is feeling pessimistic now too, and that really concerns me because of transfer potential.

sancho
02-21-2020, 08:53 AM
P.S. As to last night—Rylan Jones had the flu all week—did not practice. It is obvious it is time to sit Battin & start Jantunen. Not sure if they start Plummer or stick with Gach—he needs a shot doctor (ICU).

And what do they do about FT shooting? Brenchley makes 1 of 3–barely draws iron on the first? they make their FTS first half & have the lead.

We really upped the offensive energy with about 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, and there was a noticeable difference. I wish we could run at that level for 40 minutes. We really are more effective when we push things, even though we turn it over more.

UtahsMrSports
02-21-2020, 09:34 AM
I think the fade has to do with playing a rotation that is short and inexperienced, mostly the former. We gotta get some playable depth.

sancho
02-21-2020, 09:53 AM
I think the fade has to do with playing a rotation that is short and inexperienced, mostly the former. We gotta get some playable depth.

Maybe. We have 8 guys getting > 10 minutes per game. Lahat is close at 9.5.

Top six Pac-12 teams:

Arizona: 10 guys
ASU: 10 guys
Oregon: 10 guys
UCLA: 10 guys
Colorado: 9 guys
USC: 8 guys

We should have a deeper rotation next season. Hopefully that helps.

SoCalPat
02-21-2020, 03:04 PM

We absolutely need Gach to be better. That changes a lot. He's shooting 10 percent worse overall (19 percent worse from 2!) from the field and 11 percent worse from the line from last year. Efficiency-wise, he's far and away the worst offensive player on the team -- the average efficiency of our rotation guys is 112.5 points per 100 possessions. Gach is at 87.5 -- that's 26 points per 100 possessions worse with him in the game. I'll say it right now -- no player in the Pac-12 is more of a millstone around his team's chances of winning than Gach has been to Utah this year. His game has absolutely cratered this year. We'd better hope his injuries are having a huge impact on his game, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that. But he has to regain all he's lost, plus give us the improvement we expected out of him, in his junior year.

UtahsMrSports
02-21-2020, 04:15 PM
We absolutely need Gach to be better. That changes a lot. He's shooting 10 percent worse overall (19 percent worse from 2!) from the field and 11 percent worse from the line from last year. Efficiency-wise, he's far and away the worst offensive player on the team -- the average efficiency of our rotation guys is 112.5 points per 100 possessions. Gach is at 87.5 -- that's 26 points per 100 possessions worse with him in the game. I'll say it right now -- no player in the Pac-12 is more of a millstone around his team's chances of winning than Gach has been to Utah this year. His game has absolutely cratered this year. We'd better hope his injuries are having a huge impact on his game, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that. But he has to regain all he's lost, plus give us the improvement we expected out of him, in his junior year.

If BG doesnt get better, there are two guys coming in who will push him down to the end of the bench on their first day in camp.

sancho
02-21-2020, 04:23 PM
If BG doesnt get better, there are two guys coming in who will push him down to the end of the bench on their first day in camp.

If BG doesn't get better, Jaxon Brenchley and Alfonso Plummer will push him down to the end of the bench this season. At this point, they would contribute more. We're playing him now out of a hope that he can get out of this massive funk.

And, I think he showed signs of life last night for the first time in over a month. Maybe this is a start of a return.

UBlender
02-21-2020, 04:39 PM

The thing with Gach is that he has some attributes that nobody else on the roster has and I don't think any of the incoming recruits do either. His athleticism and length is something Utah needs more of. I have said I think his future at Utah is at the SF (and I've been saying that since before his massive slump). Utah will have plenty of guards next year, what they won't have much of is athleticism on the wing. It is imperative that they get him on track and keep him in the program.

Utebiquitous
02-21-2020, 05:35 PM
Development of players in the off season is pretty critical going into next year. There's no doubt in my mind that Carlson will come back bigger, stronger and more skilled. He's already heading in that direction. Jantuunen, Allen and Gach have got to show up next season with strong three-point shooting and better mid-range games - probably in that order. None of them are far from becoming good shooters from what I can see. Catching ready to shoot would be a first step that all of them need to work on. As I talk to skills coaches that is one of the biggest things I hear and see them working on with players. Knowing that creates huge frustration when I watch the Utes. Not only is it rare to see a player catch a ball ready to immediately shoot, pass or dribble, the passes made are so casual/unintentional.

Allen absolutely must get in the gym and get a shot. He's just too good of a player to not get there. I totally understand Blender's thoughts on Gach but he has a ways to go to just know how to play. Even when he can get out and run he makes a lot of mistakes. Last night he missed three shots at the rim that became uncontested layups. UCLA players showed a physical presence convincing him they may contest and then they backed off. Gach also leads the team in poor passes. I don't even mean turnovers - just bad passes that are thrown near the player never to the center of the body. I hope he stays and continues to develop but I wonder.

I think Lohner and Martinez are sure impact freshman - I may be wrong but paper indicates it. We know Jones will return better. If the above players develop some this team becomes formidable - even without much of an offensive system.

concerned
02-21-2020, 05:55 PM
I think this is the first team I can ever remember that regressed as the season went along. Hard to believe we beat Kentucky to BYU. We've gotten worse as the season has gone along

sancho
02-22-2020, 04:58 PM
How 'bout Cronin? Pretty amazing to be able to inherit a ton of top recruits and then do well with them.

Mormon Red Death
02-22-2020, 08:38 PM
How 'bout Cronin? Pretty amazing to be able to inherit a ton of top recruits and then do well with them.

If Arizona holds on vs Oregon then UCLA controls their own destiny

Mormon Red Death
02-22-2020, 09:07 PM
Even though I hate Oregon nothing beats my disdain for Arizona basketball

SeattleUte
02-23-2020, 09:49 AM
UCLA has a real coach now. This is like Pete Carroll's first year at USC. UCLA will be dominant again in basketball soon.

Old Standing ute
02-23-2020, 01:14 PM
UCLA has a real coach now. This is like Pete Carroll's first year at USC. UCLA will be dominant again in basketball soon.

They won’t ever be great, but the coach at Wazzu is also for real.

Typical PAC-12 ref moment at end of UCLA game—Jones fouls out & before Utes put in a replacement, refs give ball to & UCLA player shoots & misses the FT.

Horn has to sound to tell them only 4 on the floor—-so do over & instead he makes the first FT.

concerned
02-23-2020, 01:30 PM
They won’t ever be great, but the coach at Wazzu is also for real.

Typical PAC-12 ref moment at end of UCLA game—Jones fouls out & before Utes put in a replacement, refs give ball to & UCLA player shoots & misses the FT.

Horn has to sound to tell them only 4 on the floor—-so do over & instead he makes the first FT.

The missed goal tendings and the foul on Battin that got LK the technical were the worst. BTW, why do you think we have not gotten better?

Some guy named Armstrong tweeted Thursday from the tv broadcast, to the effect, "you can see this team does not like paying for its coach." True in whole or in part?

Mormon Red Death
02-23-2020, 06:17 PM
Great win tonight. USC has tired legs. Btw Talk about underperforming. USC has the best talent in the conference and they will end up 6th maybe 7th

UBlender
02-23-2020, 09:27 PM
Great win tonight. USC has tired legs. Btw Talk about underperforming. USC has the best talent in the conference and they will end up 6th maybe 7th

Andy Enfield is a cautionary tale that everyone should be mindful of as we navigate the waters of the "Fire Larry" discourse. Enfield's Florida Gulf Coast team came out of nowhere, won a couple games as a Cinderella in the NCAA and he was the flavor of the month. He's an educated guy that left a lucrative position in business with a super hot wife and everybody wanted him at that point. USC goes out and gets him and the narrative is that USC did such a great job to land Enfield.

Well, fast forward what 5-6 years now? Enfield has pulled in some really impressive talent and sent several to the NBA (with more to come). And what does he have to show for it? They've pretty much underperformed their talent level for his entire tenure. Have they even won an NCAA game? Larry, who sucks and everyone wants to replace, has owned him as long as he's been at USC. Enfield's won a few here and there but given the talent of the respective teams he should beat Utah more often than not.

Moral of the story: The flavor of the month coach is often a flash in the pan with not much sustainable. Larry's not getting it done but if/when we make a change let's not just go chasing the shiniest new thing and end up with the next Giac or Boylen (two coaches who had some good things on their resumes but lacked an established track record of head coaching success over a length of time). I hope that if this change happens, whether it be this year or next, that Harlan has an actual plan in place and isn't just throwing booster money around assuming that things will automatically improve. (Also, we don't know if Harlan has an eye for coaching talent and ability to get his guy--his hires at USF did not work out very well).

sancho
02-23-2020, 09:37 PM

It was great to see us get the win. You could tell we wanted it badly and were working for it, but USC made a couple of runs. Glad we help them off.

sancho
02-23-2020, 09:38 PM
Some guy named Armstrong tweeted Thursday from the tv broadcast, to the effect, "you can see this team does not like paying for its coach." True in whole or in part?

I've seen "doesn't like playing for its coach" before, and I don't see that here. The players seem to love Larry.

sancho
02-23-2020, 09:44 PM
USC goes out and gets him and the narrative is that USC did such a great job to land Enfield.

I remember plenty of skeptics (including myself) at the time he was hired.

(Also, we don't know if Harlan has an eye for coaching talent and ability to get his guy--his hires at USF did not work out very well).

No one has ever convinced me that there is such a thing as an "eye for coaching talent". I think this is more or less a game of chance. You have guys from mid majors who make the leap successfully and guys who fail. You have assistants who succeed as first time head coaches, and you have guys who flop. I just think a lot of luck is involved.

SeattleUte
02-24-2020, 10:26 AM
They won’t ever be .

I don't know how anyone could say with such certitude that UCLA "won't ever be great." A top five tradition, in the middle of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, one of the country's most glamourous campuses, five star academics. All they have needed is a real coach, and they appear to have one now.

Scorcho
02-24-2020, 11:27 AM
I don't know how anyone could say with such certitude that UCLA "won't ever be great." A top five tradition, in the middle of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, one of the country's most glamourous campuses, five star academics. All they have needed is a real coach, and they appear to have one now.

I don't know how good Cronin is as a recruiter but if he's even just average, UCLA will be a power again. They could easily win the conference tournament this year and a game or two in the big dance.

sancho
02-24-2020, 01:40 PM

He was talking about WSU, though.

Mormon Red Death
02-24-2020, 02:13 PM
I don't know how good Cronin is as a recruiter but if he's even just average, UCLA will be a power again. They could easily win the conference tournament this year and a game or two in the big dance.

I think they win out and win the regular season title.

Mormon Red Death
02-24-2020, 03:21 PM
So Where the conference finish? Team - current record - final games - Prediction
ASU - 10-4 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-1 loss to @UCLA
Oregon - 10-5 - Ore st, Nocals - 3-0
Colo - 10-5 - @ Nocals, @Utah - 3-0
UCLA - 10-5 - Zonas @USC - 3-0
Arizona - 9-5 @ Socal Wash - 3-1 loss @UCLA
USC - 8-7 Zonas UCLA - 0-3 Lose to Ariz, ASU & UCLA
Stanford - 7-7 Mtns, @ Oregons - 1-3)lose to Utah, Colo, Oregon
Utah - 6-9 - @ Nocals, Colo - 2-1 lose to Colorardo
Cal - 5-9 - Mtns , @Oregons - 0-4 lose Colo, Utah, Oregon, Oregon st
Oregon St - 5-10 @ Oregon, Nocals - 1-2 lose to Oregon & Stanford
Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU
Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU

that puts the seeding as follows after tiebreakers
1. Oregon
2. UCLA
3. Colorado
4. ASU
5. Arizona
6. Utah
7. USC
8. Stanford
9. Oregon st
10. Cal
11. Wazzu
12. Washington

DrumNFeather
02-24-2020, 03:41 PM
You know, folks like to get mad at Larry...but how about the waste of a season that Oregon St. has had? All that upperclassmen talent with Tinkle and Thompson and Kelly and they're likely to finish in the 9-11 range. Crazy.

UBlender
02-24-2020, 04:05 PM
So Where the conference finish? Team - current record - final games - Prediction
ASU - 10-4 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-1 loss to @UCLA
Oregon - 10-5 - Ore st, Nocals - 3-0
Colo - 10-5 - @ Nocals, @Utah - 3-0
UCLA - 10-5 - Zonas @USC - 3-0
Arizona - 9-5 @ Socal Wash - 3-1 loss @UCLA
USC - 8-7 Zonas UCLA - 0-3 Lose to Ariz, ASU & UCLA
Stanford - 7-7 Mtns, @ Oregons - 1-3)lose to Utah, Colo, Oregon
Utah - 6-9 - @ Nocals, Colo - 2-1 lose to Colorardo
Cal - 5-9 - Mtns , @Oregons - 0-4 lose Colo, Utah, Oregon, Oregon st
Oregon St - 5-10 @ Oregon, Nocals - 1-2 lose to Oregon & Stanford
Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU
Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU

1. Oregon
2. UCLA
3. Colorado
4. ASU
5. Arizona
6. Utah
7. USC
8. Stanford
9. Oregon st
10. Cal
11. Wazzu
12. Washington

Utah winning two road games, likely without Rylan? I wish I could muster that kind of optimism. I think if Rylan is out this week 0-3 is more likely than 2-1 with 1-2 being more likely than either.

Mormon Red Death
02-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Utah winning two road games, likely without Rylan? I wish I could muster that kind of optimism. I think if Rylan is out this week 0-3 is more likely than 2-1 with 1-2 being more likely than either.

We have already beat those teams and we match up very well with them. I think #gachscratchfever breaks out of his slump

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2020, 04:29 AM
Big game tonight. We need these next 2. We Don't want the 8-9 game cause it starts at noon

sancho
02-26-2020, 08:51 AM
Big game tonight. We need these next 2. We Don't want the 8-9 game cause it starts at noon

I guess. It's a big game to me because I'd like to see a road win, but I don't think seeding matters much at this point.

Without Jones, I would like to see us push the tempo. Everyone on the team can run except maybe Battin. We can rotate in more guys that usual. I'm sure we'll turn it over too much, but I think we'll score.

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2020, 09:09 AM
I guess. It's a big game to me because I'd like to see a road win, but I don't think seeding matters much at this point.

Without Jones, I would like to see us push the tempo. Everyone on the team can run except maybe Battin. We can rotate in more guys that usual. I'm sure we'll turn it over too much, but I think we'll score.Jones out for sure?

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2020, 09:11 AM

Without Jones, I would like to see us push the tempo. Everyone on the team can run except maybe Battin. We can rotate in more guys that usual. I'm sure we'll turn it over too much, but I think we'll score.Seeding matters because solon won't make it till half time of the first game and 8-9 is the first game. Yes it's selfish but it's why I think be it's important

sancho
02-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Jones out for sure?

No, sorry, just an assumption.

sancho
02-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Seeding matters because solon won't make it till half time of the first game and 8-9 is the first game. Yes it's selfish but it's why I think be it's important

Well, I'm certainly pulling for the best seed we can get. I like Solon, even though he bailed on us for (another assumption) that board for Provo dirtbags.

DrumNFeather
02-26-2020, 11:56 AM
At this very moment, Utah would be in the 8/9 game with Cal and would then get Arizona St...which I wouldn't hate. I'm probably not giving Hurley and friends enough credit, but I'd probably far prefer that to a second round matchup against Oregon or Arizona.

All that said...Cal has a real chance to go 0-4 down the stretch (I suppose Utah does too). Wazzu is looking at 0-3, Washington 1-2, and Oregon St. 1-2 or 2-1..(they host the NorCal schools and play at Oregon). So - a lot of hoops left here with just 3/4 games to play.

If I had to guess...

Utah goes 2-1 (either sweeping the road trip or knocking off a CU team that may not have much to gain by playing starters 30 minutes).
Cal goes 0-4
Oregon St. goes 1-2
Washington goes 1-2
Wazzu goes 0-3

So that would make seeds 8-12:

8. Utah
9. Oregon St.
10. Cal (cal should have the tiebreaker)
11. Wazzu
12. Washington

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2020, 08:47 PM
It's a miracle we are only down 12 at half

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2020, 08:11 AM
sigh..... I guess you cant expect to win when you only score 4 points (on 6 total shots!) in the first 10 minutes of the game

concerned
02-27-2020, 08:17 AM
sigh..... I guess you cant expect to win when you only score 4 points (on 6 total shots!) in the first 10 minutes of the game

When you have almost twice as many turnovers as shot attempts

sancho
02-27-2020, 10:26 AM
I thought we might finally get that road win. I was impressed with the fight and the comeback. I was happy to see Gach score (though he still can't shoot), and I was happy to see Allen back in January form after so long.

One more chance at the road win!

Old Standing ute
02-27-2020, 12:52 PM
I thought we might finally get that road win. I was impressed with the fight and the comeback. I was happy to see Gach score (though he still can't shoot), and I was happy to see Allen back in January form after so long.

One more chance at the road win!

Is it all in Gach’s head? His form looks Ok, although he shoots with a really high arc on his shots. He doesn’t consistently miss the same way?
Seems the odds would be that eventually he gets lucky & banks one in or just makes one??

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Is it all in Gach’s head? His form looks Ok, although he shoots with a really high arc on his shots. He doesn’t consistently miss the same way?
Seems the odds would be that eventually he gets lucky & banks one in or just makes one??

He seems to have the "Yips"

Mormon Red Death
02-28-2020, 10:47 AM
2/28 Update:
ASU - 10-5 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-0 (13-5)
Oregon - 11-5 - Nocals - 2-0 (13-5)
Colo - 10-6 - @ Stan, @Utah - 2-0 (12-6)
UCLA - 11-5 - Zona @USC - 2-0 (13-5)
Arizona - 9-6 @ UCLA Wash - 2-1 loss @UCLA (11-7)
USC - 9-7 ASU, UCLA - 0-2 Lose to, ASU & UCLA (9-9)
Stanford - 8-7 Colo, @ Oregons - 1-2) lose to, Colo, Oregon (9-9)
Utah - 6-9 - @ Cal, Colo - 1-1 lose to Colorado (7-10)
Cal - 6-9 - Utah , @Oregons - 0-3 lose Utah, Oregon, Oregon st (6-12)
Oregon St - 5-11 Nocals - 1-1 lose to Stanford (6-12)
Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU (5-13)
Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU (4-14)

1. Oregon
2. ASU
3. UCLA
4. Colorado
5. Arizona
6. USC
7. Stanford
8. Utah
9. Oregon st
10. Cal
11. Wazzu
12. Washington

Oregon st, Utah and Cal end up tying for Oregon St wins the tiebreaker and I think Cal would be next so if we lose the next 2 we most likely will play Stanford in the 7-10

sancho
02-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Official now. 0-9 on the road.

Rylan with a concussion. Kid has taken a real beating this year.

It's hard for me to believe that a team will go from .500 and 6-12 to being good just with one more season of experience and a few freshmen.

sancho
02-29-2020, 08:29 PM
It's dumb that games in November and December are weighted more than games in February and March when it comes to an NCAA resume. That is all.

Solon
02-29-2020, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm certainly pulling for the best seed we can get. I like Solon, even though he bailed on us for (another assumption) that board for Provo dirtbags.

What the hey???
I'm here. I just read more than I write.

Solon
02-29-2020, 09:21 PM
What the hey???
I'm here. I just read more than I write.

I'm pretty discouraged at the way the season is finishing up. It doesn't feel like we're even close.

Mormon Red Death
03-02-2020, 09:10 AM
So Let's Talk Pac-12 Tourney Scenarios: Utah can finish anywhere from 8-11

Utah has Colorado at home

Cal 7 wins - @Ore @Oregon St
Wazzu 6 wins - @Ariz @ASU
Oregon St 5 wins - Stanford, Cal

Most likely scenario:
Utah loses to Colo
Oregon St beats cal loses to stanford
Cal loses to both oregon and oregon st
Wazzu loses to Ariz and ASU

Cal is the 8th seed
Utah is the 9th seed (2-1) against wazzu and oregon st
Wazzu is 10 beat oregon st
Oregon St is the 11 seed

If Utah beats colorado and just ore st doesnt sweep and wazzu doenst win a game
Same seeds as above

If Utah beats colorado and Ore st sweeps then
then Ore St is the 8 seed
Cal is the 9 seed
Utah is the 10 seed

sancho
03-02-2020, 09:14 AM
I really don't think it matters, but in most tournaments, the 10 seed is better than the 8/9.

Mormon Red Death
03-02-2020, 11:19 AM
I really don't think it matters, but in most tournaments, the 10 seed is better than the 8/9.
only thing that matters to me is when they play.

SeattleUte
03-02-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty discouraged at the way the season is finishing up. It doesn't feel like we're even close.

There a strong young nucleus. A good coach could take them places in the next couple of years.

DrumNFeather
03-02-2020, 01:17 PM
The Buffs are in a bit of a free-fall at the moment. 10-4 and first place outright to 10-7, and quite possibly missing a top 4 seed in Vegas.

sancho
03-02-2020, 02:04 PM
The Buffs are in a bit of a free-fall at the moment. 10-4 and first place outright to 10-7, and quite possibly missing a top 4 seed in Vegas.

We are probably just what the doctor ordered for them. I think we can make it more competitive than it was in Boulder, though. It's senior night!

concerned
03-02-2020, 07:28 PM
We are probably just what the doctor ordered for them. I think we can make it more competitive than it was in Boulder, though. It's senior night!

You mean senior noontime

DrumNFeather
03-03-2020, 09:56 AM

I'm glad we get to honor Marc Renniger for all his contributions to the program. And people say Larry doesn't have any upperclassmen. Psh.

Mormon Red Death
03-06-2020, 01:05 PM
Ok here are the seeding scenarios. Utah, Wazzu and Oreg st are 1 back of Cal
If Utah, Oreg st (Cal), Wazzu (@ASU) and Utah all win Cal gets 8th seed, Utah 9th, Wazzu 10th, Oreg st 11th
If Oreg st and Utah win Oreg st 9th seed Utah 10th Wazzu 11
If Wazzu and Utah win Utah Utah 9th seed Wazzu 10th Oreg st 11
If Utah, Ore st and wazzu all lost Utah 9th seed, wazzu 10th ore st 11

Selfishly I want the 7-10 game because it starts at 6pm pacific. So I hope the most likely happens. Ore st wins and Wazzu loses which puts us at 10

SoCalPat
03-07-2020, 04:38 PM

I can't help but wonder how much trouble CU is in. Was safely in the field before today. Could potentially get the 5 seed in Vegas and a matchup against the best last-place team in the country, perhaps ever. Could enter Selection Sunday on a five-game losing streak.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2020, 08:39 AM
I can't help but wonder how much trouble CU is in. Was safely in the field before today. Could potentially get the 5 seed in Vegas and a matchup against the best last-place team in the country, perhaps ever. Could enter Selection Sunday on a five-game losing streak.

In Lunardi's latest projection, I think they were in a 7/10 game with ETSU...and ETSU has been running through teams, so they are no joke. Would get SDSU with a win. Either way, CU looked like a team with a decent chance to be around on the second weekend and now they could easily be one and done.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Timmy Allen named second team all Pac 12.

Both Gach gets the player of the week award.

sancho
03-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Timmy Allen named second team all Pac 12.

The talk around town is about whether or not this team (assuming no transfers...fingers crossed) is a tournament team next year. We had one player on the 2nd team all-conference (and he's only a sophomore), but no one else on any lists (including honorable mentions or all freshman teams). Is that enough for me to get my hopes up?

Gach, Carlson, and Jones do have all-conference honors potential. Maybe some of the newcomers do as well.

Old Standing ute
03-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Pelle Larsson is the leading everything for his U18 Swedish team. 16 pts, 7 reb & 6 assists.

Listed at 6’4”.

Old Standing ute
03-09-2020, 06:03 PM
Pelle Larsson is the leading everything for his U18 Swedish team. 16 pts, 7 reb & 6 assists.

Listed at 6’4”.

Caleb Lohner. Listed at 6’9”. 230–same size as Battin. But he has a 40” vertical.?

14, 6 & 2.

And Martinez is supposedly better than these 2.

That is a ton of talent coming in.

Old Standing ute
03-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Caleb Lohner. Listed at 6’9”. 230–same size as Battin. But he has a 40” vertical.?

14, 6 & 2.

And Martinez is supposedly better than these 2.

That is a ton of talent coming in.

And if true that is the same vertical as Donovan Mitchell.

I love replying to my own quotes—just like talking to myself.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2020, 08:47 AM
And if true that is the same vertical as Donovan Mitchell.

I love replying to my own quotes—just like talking to myself.

For comparison, Marcus Williams was a 43.5”.

And my vertical (standing which is much harder haha) is 18.5”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UtahsMrSports
03-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Bill Riley mentioned yesterday that he spoke to a "west coast, high-level, D1" coach yesterday (could be larry for all I know) and that person told him that of the 3 incoming recruits, he likes Larsson the best.

sancho
03-10-2020, 09:10 AM
Our 14 for next season, in my predicted order of minutes per game:

PGs: Jones
Guards: Gach, Martinez, Plummer, Larsson, Brenchley, Wenzel
Forwards: Allen, Jantunen, Lohner, Battin
Centers: Carlson, Thione, Van Komen

I think Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson are all around 30 mpg. That leaves about 50 minutes per game to divvy up among the rest.

Old Standing ute
03-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Our 14 for next season, in my predicted order of minutes per game:

PGs: Jones
Guards: Gach, Martinez, Plummer, Larsson, Brenchley, Wenzel
Forwards: Allen, Jantunen, Lohner, Battin
Centers: Carlson, Thione, Van Komen

I think Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson are all around 30 mpg. That leaves about 50 minutes per game to divvy up among the rest.

You are 1 over—they only get 13 scholarships.

Wenzel will need to be a Forward—not a great ball handler. Decent shooter.

sancho
03-10-2020, 06:02 PM
You are 1 over—they only get 13 scholarships.

Wenzel will need to be a Forward—not a great ball handler. Decent shooter.

I know I'm one over, but we are one over right now. I just listed all 14.

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Jones in street clothes

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2020, 01:57 PM
I guess when Plummer his 7 3s you'll be ok

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2020, 02:04 PM
No Utah band... Oregon St playing Utah fight song.... Super classy

chrisrenrut
03-11-2020, 02:17 PM
No Utah band... Oregon St playing Utah fight song.... Super classy

Holy Crap! 8-11 from 3 point line, with 18 left in the 2nd half?

Hopefully that opens up the middle for Allen, Jantunen, and Carlson later.

sancho
03-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Ugh, that Both Gach turnover. We can't lose this game. Not after Plummer hits 11 threes. Here we go...last shot for OSU.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Man, we choked.

sancho
03-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Painful. 14 point lead in the 2nd half. Lead in the last few minutes. Turnover into open three. Just awful.

Old Standing ute
03-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Painful. 14 point lead in the 2nd half. Lead in the last few minutes. Turnover into open three. Just awful.

Really missed Rylan Jones

concerned
03-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Everybody saw this stat posted on Utefans? The turnover differential during Larry's tenure? Astounding. P.S. Not a positive differential. At least it is consistent.

2019-20 271

2018-19 334

2017-18 182

2016-17 270

2015-16 308

2014-15 179

2013-14 130

2012-13 293

2011-12 321

sancho
03-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Woof, what is that, 8-9 per game?

Applejack
03-13-2020, 08:59 AM
I guess the silver lining for this year is that we will never know whether we would have been invited to the NCAA tournament. :larry:

sancho
03-13-2020, 09:05 AM
The silver lining is that BYU doesn't get to play. This was their big culmination - the senior year for Childs.

I've seen athletes start to suggest that they should get a 5th year of eligibility due to these cancellations. That is dumb. They played the entire season and missed just 1-6 (1 game for 50% of them) games in a tournament. Let it go. Do you grant extra eligibility to all seniors? Let it go. Move on with your life.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2020, 09:16 AM
The silver lining is that BYU doesn't get to play. This was their big culmination - the senior year for Childs.

I've seen athletes start to suggest that they should get a 5th year of eligibility due to these cancellations. That is dumb. They played the entire season and missed just 1-6 (1 game for 50% of them) games in a tournament. Let it go. Do you grant extra eligibility to all seniors? Let it go. Move on with your life.

I don’t think they should do it, however I understand their frustration.

Look at Utah’s senior gymnasts. One was having the best season of her career, and the team is undefeated for the first time since 1993. I’m sure it’s frustrating to lose out on a chance at a title.

Old Standing ute
03-13-2020, 10:31 AM
I don’t think they should do it, however I understand their frustration.

Look at Utah’s senior gymnasts. One was having the best season of her career, and the team is undefeated for the first time since 1993. I’m sure it’s frustrating to lose out on a chance at a title.

Ute Ski team in 2nd place—20 points down when championship stopped after 1 day. Looking to repeat & win 3 out of last 4 years .

Bummer.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2020, 10:35 AM
Ute Ski team in 2nd place—20 points down when championship stopped after 1 day. Looking to repeat & win 3 out of last 4 years .

Bummer.

It’s worse, they were actually in 1st by 32 points.

SeattleUte
03-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Everybody saw this stat posted on Utefans? The turnover differential during Larry's tenure? Astounding. P.S. Not a positive differential. At least it is consistent.

2019-20 271

2018-19 334

2017-18 182

2016-17 270

2015-16 308

2014-15 179

2013-14 130

2012-13 293

2011-12 321

When do we start finding out about the transfers?

sancho
03-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Someone pointed out today that those turnover numbers are wrong.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2020, 04:24 PM
When do we start finding out about the transfers?

Whenever they decide to enter the portal.

USU had a Guard enter today, as did UVU.

Wichita St. had 4 players, Kansas St 2, Vandy 3...so, news will come fast and furious if it is to come, I suspect. Just today nearly 40 players have entered the portal.

Old Standing ute
03-14-2020, 03:41 PM
It’s worse, they were actually in 1st by 32 points.

Paper today: they might be declared the winners.

Bill Walton will be so proud.

Diehard Ute
03-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Paper today: they might be declared the winners.

Bill Walton will be so proud.

At least it’s actually built into their rules from the start!

jonathanfj69
09-16-2021, 11:13 AM
Best Nude Playmates & Centerfolds, Beautiful galleries daily updateshttp://porn.for.womens.o.gon.alo.adablog69.com/?unique the blumpkin porn online video porn free free mature redhead porn movies free porn gallery cuckold sex porn video long free

jonathanfj69
09-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Nude Sex Pics, Sexy Naked Women, Hot Girls Pornhttp://moviesofhotsex.danexxx.com/?delaney brazzles porn free drink porn braces porn with hand cuffs wold best porn best 2009 porn movie

jonathanfj69
09-16-2021, 11:15 AM
College Girls Porn Picshttp://sandy.oaksrenoporn.jsutandy.com/?miah free harcore porn clips kinny porn wallpaper of porn actresses porn of girls ith attitudes sharing homemade porn

jonathanfj69
09-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Young Heaven - Naked Teens & Young Porn Pictureshttp://stralsund.hdteenxxxvideo.moesexy.com/?alexa chucky and tiffiny porn baseball coach gay porn vivid porn freee download sample free asian massage porn video heroes tv porn

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://smilffacebook.kanakox.com/?zoey huge fat whores in porn tubes banjo porn talking dirty porn videos russian 50 plus porn furyy porn

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:24 PM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://titsteenpics.pailaiiai.amandahot.com/?tiana holly peters porn star free nylons porn pantihose tease tube trashman porn cybertube porn porn vids gallery

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:28 PM
Hardcore Galleries wjth hot Hardcore photoshttp://britishpornhawaiisexdating.jsutandy.com/?angie porn retro black amateur porn videos bride porn stories free free teen couples porn movies free porn serches

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:30 PM
New sexy website is available on the webhttp://unionparkporn.iso.topanasex.com/?mary xj9 jenny porn swismuit porn torrent calendar porn forum night holly hunt porn streaming jamaican porn

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Nude Sex Pics, Sexy Naked Women, Hot Girls Pornhttp://astreamingporn.palauseabirds.hotnatalia.com/?princess amatuar porn for free rollerblading porn world of warcraft porn edtion free christi cannon porn movies porn hub massage videos

jonathanfj69
09-29-2021, 12:58 PM
Hot teen picshttp://bbw.kagoshima.amandahot.com/?baylee free category porn movies bang porn video backseat porn thumbs kindergaredn porn cp camby free porn

jonathanfj69
11-09-2021, 02:39 PM
Enjoy our scandal amateur galleries that looks incredibly dirtyhttp://uhrichsvillefreecanineporn.sexjanet.com/?kayli best full video porn sites craigslist of porn julie mandrews porn best gay porn upload young mobile porn

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:22 PM
Hot sexy porn projects, daily updateshttp://showsexypicsgwalior.energysexy.com/?kaylee sex border porn extreme swingers sex porn tube free fake porn celebrity free fulllength porn video unicorn porn videosfree

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:26 PM
My new hot project|enjoy new websitehttp://prettysexyteen.mongo.hotnatalia.com/?nicole weird shemale porn porn fetishes free weird hot porn christina faye porn underground spain pornn sites

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:33 PM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://drunkgirlsimgur.topanasex.com/?virginia free granny porn downloads new porn laws for the internet cutegirl porn naked porn movies free asian shemale porn

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:35 PM
Nude Sex Pics, Sexy Naked Women, Hot Girls Pornhttp://venezuelanbabes.adablog69.com/?melany porn instant acces paypal free porn stories all of me avalon porn tubes big tit lesbien porn completely free porn no registration

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:41 PM
New super hot photo galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://kirikkale.sexayandiknowit.gigixo.com/?reilly madagascar porn sites porn soft voayeur porn tube dragon ball z comic porn mandingo zena porn tube

jonathanfj69
11-10-2021, 10:43 PM
Enjoy our scandal amateur galleries that looks incredibly dirtyhttp://calbayogcity.photoxxxn.moesexy.com/?allyson free porn stream free hd mature porn tube jazz big tits porn clips babylon 5 porn jacinta eyre porn

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:16 PM
Free Porn Pictures and Best HD Sex Photoshttp://about.nudeantipolo.amandahot.com/?jaelyn free daddy daughter porn videos porn vido free sex and porn tubes incredibles dash porn pics anime porn for ipod touch

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:18 PM
Hot photo galleries blogs and pictureshttp://bestpornsites.aizawl.kanakox.com/?aracely spongebob patrick sandy porn porn being made in arkansas teen porn video bbc mila kunis anime porn emo couple porn

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:21 PM
Hot teen picshttp://aizawlfunnychristmas.alexysexy.com/?kassandra blooy teen pussy porn x ebony butt porn free porn videos hhhh massaged breasts porn jana h porn

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:27 PM
Free Porn Galleries - Hot Sex Pictureshttp://banglasexipic.kochi.energysexy.com/?araceli porn stars hairy bitch slapped porn crazy 3d anime porn famous celebrity porn archive bbs porn site list

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:30 PM
My new hot project|enjoy new websitehttp://sexhotestgirlstiruppur.energysexy.com/?annabelle free vidio gay porn free mobile exgirlfriend porn free streaming deep throat porn videos fake tits porn free videos lesbian pron for psp

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:31 PM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://icelandicporn.adablog69.com/?zoey yazum porn servint maid porn free popular toons porn video free cute blonde porn choking on cock porn

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:33 PM
New project started to be available today, check it outhttp://youmgporn.bloglag.com/?reyna free ature porn granny porn search engines free lesbian virgin porn porn cheerleader teacher video south american tranny porn

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://corumreallyhotgirls.hoterika.com/?makaila hardcore gangbang airtight fuck porn free costume porn movies porn not blocked 02 age verification kelly aldridge porn stunning porn free gallery

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://mokpo.ashlil.movie.topanasex.com/?alysa hazel t porn internet porn in muslim countries is porn bad for energy porn star rita delreo porn cheating caught seduced

jonathanfj69
11-16-2021, 07:38 PM
New sexy website is available on the webhttp://orlndia.clitoris.miaxxx.com/?taniya cute ginger porn porn cum tits freetoon porn bbw transexuals porn full length ghetto porn

jonathanfj69
11-27-2021, 07:14 AM
Hot sexy porn projects, daily updateshttp://famousanimepornbarddhaman.energysexy.com/?michaela porn games toraware amatuer interracial porn kelly bell porn video free porn videos for ps3 phone booth porn

jonathanfj69
11-27-2021, 07:16 AM
Scandal porn galleries, daily updated listshttp://nicaraguapron.miyuhot.com/?meredith find free adult ponr free porn movies redtube porn byb freen young porn movies college girl porn thumb

jonathanfj69
11-27-2021, 07:30 AM
Young Heaven - Naked Teens & Young Porn Pictureshttp://shimla.sexychicks.miyuhot.com/?maura sexy burnette babe porn video french fart porn jamison porn star purple porn busty girlfriend threesome mobile porn

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:05 PM
Free Porn Galleries - Hot Sex Pictureshttp://kalibosexy.gais.miyuhot.com/?susan gay porn videow do ponr stars climax streaming gay porn free free quicktime porn clips nixie pixel porn

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:08 PM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://iphonesexsiterachgia.alexysexy.com/?nayeli is dark eden porn eskimo porn lauren pheonix free download porn vids best website to search for porn cuthbert porn

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:10 PM
Daily updated super sexy photo gallerieshttp://sexywomanphoto.assnakedass.kanakox.com/?desirae mature arab porn streaming latin gapping anal porn ipod porn video free teen new sensations porn site black booty porn stars

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:12 PM
New super hot photo galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://oroquieta.hotseyvideo.topanasex.com/?malia belly expanding porn homemade porn daily fake caliberty porn free porn toons asain teen goth porn

jonathanfj69
01-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Best Nude Playmates & Centerfolds, Beautiful galleries daily updateshttp://songnam.nextsexyvideo.miaxxx.com/?kaitlin teacher turned porn star alternative teen porn jane austen cartoon porn mexican creampie porn cortoon porn pics and comics

jonathanfj69
01-03-2022, 10:19 PM
New project started to be available today, check it outhttp://bigbessporn.hoterika.com/?riya supedr hd free porn videos cruise porn pictures tube 8 porn movies mother sucking sons cock porn free wild milkf porn movies

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Sexy teen photo gallerieshttp://miami.alypics.com/?kaila porn tubes category lesbian porn kate jetsons porn jab online teen porn russian kds porn bbs

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:34 AM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated picshttp://bigsexpic.srinagar.amandahot.com/?erin sandi self porn actress mature gt porn galleries free adam and eve porn videos videos on sex not porn korean girl white man porn

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:45 AM
My new hot project|enjoy new websitehttp://tandag.trumpwomennude.jsutandy.com/?diana amature porn pix cole ryder porn magic wand cum porn amputee porn milky nipple porn

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:46 AM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://belgaumwomensexywomen.topanasex.com/?faith free full leng midget porn realalistic anime hentia reality porn cartoon movie porn sample free british porn thumbs jonathan simms porn star

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:50 AM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://frankfurtarab.energysexy.com/?marley married womwn porn 100 free ametuer porn downloads nylon mania porn ayden michael adult porn star british porn free video

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:52 AM
Hot new pictures each dayhttp://seximagefullhdtonk.amandahot.com/?felicity free porn galliers husband watches hard core porn free mpg porn young russian model porn asome porn

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:54 AM
Hot sexy porn projects, daily updateshttp://moriokaswingersporn.topanasex.com/?jaiden gimmie porn lesbian pokrn and toys georgiana porn hd porn xxx tgp large movies free porn

jonathanfj69
01-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Hot photo galleries blogs and pictureshttp://wiesbaden.nudenakedblonde.alypics.com/?dasia porn tube blow job gay young old porn pics free chubby girl porn tubes little porn model sites free porn joanna bliss

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Hot new pictures each dayhttp://zapopan.hentai.alexysexy.com/?tianna free stream porn young free gay lesbian porn movies free porn barbie cummings porn francais for black porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:19 AM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://regensburgsuper.bbw.jsutandy.com/?athena free naughty schoolgirl porn skinheads porn hip hop porn videos gay porn vodeos candid porn fourm

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:22 AM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://frenchpornmuroran.jsutandy.com/?brandi greenville nc porn crazy shit in porn pregnant niggers porn free chubby porn mpegs megarotic japanese porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:31 AM
Scandal porn galleries, daily updated listshttp://tobiasfreekinkvidporn.amandahot.com/?sydney free creampie cctv porn videos free black teen porn tubes ther best porn in the world pamela and tommy porn video moscow billboard porn photos

jonathanfj69
01-30-2022, 06:54 PM
My new hot project|enjoy new websitehttp://porto.alegrefutanariporn.moesexy.com/?jackeline gay anime porn porn star kim eternityy free submissive porn s m sexy web pages new porn white fatass girls porn

jonathanfj69
01-30-2022, 06:56 PM
Hot galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://xxxgirlphotohdizmir.alypics.com/?amani mary williams transexual porn star early classic porn hq porn spots house wife bangers death of porn star savannah adult males porn

jonathanfj69
01-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Daily updated super sexy photo gallerieshttp://isuckyourcock.topanasex.com/?deja porn star search feamle quad amputee build a porn site scifi porn movies free hd porn videos online celebrity porn xxx clips