PDA

View Full Version : The Cal game

Tacoma Ute
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
​Simple poll. Do we win or lose?

SoCalPat
03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
​Simple poll. Do we win or lose?

I'm pressing my bets. One week ago, there were three teams in this league that had flat-out owned us for nearly every minute we were on the floor against them for the last two years. Since then, we've beaten two of them (OSU, USC) and Cal is the third. Why the hell not?

SoCalPat
03-13-2013, 10:02 PM
We're not just winning, we're playing with leads for long stretches.

Against OSU we trailed for all of 59 seconds.

Against Oregon we never trailed

Against USC, we trailed for 3 minutes, 47 seconds, but all but 46 seconds of that was a prolonged stretch early in the game in which neither team scored.

Largest Utah deficit faced during that time? Two points.

Tacoma Ute
03-13-2013, 10:07 PM
We're not just winning, we're playing with leads for long stretches.

Against OSU we trailed for all of 59 seconds.

Against Oregon we never trailed

Against USC, we trailed for 3 minutes, 47 seconds, but all but 46 seconds of that was a prolonged stretch early in the game in which neither team scored.

Largest Utah deficit faced during that time? Two points.

Tonight's game showed that they have some serious stones. There were a couple times where they could have wilted and gave up. Instead they manned up and withstood the blows and built the lead again. Will we beat Cal? It wouldn't shock me at this point.

hostile
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Tonight's game showed that they have some serious stones. There were a couple times where they could have wilted and gave up. Instead they manned up and withstood the blows and built the lead again. Will we beat Cal? It wouldn't shock me at this point.

Yep. Nice to see some resiliency in the face of adversity. Earlier this year they likely choke away the loss. Now guys are stepping up and hitting shots, playing tough D and getting stops. I'm excited to see them compete tomorrow.

SoCalPat
03-13-2013, 10:12 PM

If there's one thing about tonight's game that gives me the feeling I'm spitting into the wind thinking we can beat Cal, it's that we still lost the boards battle without Dedmon in the game.

LA Ute
03-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Certainly Cal's coaches are worried.

SoCalPat
03-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Certainly Cal's coaches are worried.

I think it's the opposite. They drilled us twice. They're in the NCAA Tournament. They haven't played in eight days and they've had a day to be tempted by all of Vegas' diversions (EDIT: OK, maybe you're right ...). Everything is there for a slow start. Nothing would thrill me more than getting Monty to take his use-it-or-lose-it timeout in the first 8 minutes of the game.

LA Ute
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I think it's the opposite. They drilled us twice. They're in the NCAA Tournament. They haven't played in eight days and they've had a day to be tempted by all of Vegas' diversions (EDIT: OK, maybe you're right ...). Everything is there for a slow start. Nothing would thrill me more than getting Monty to take his use-it-or-lose-it timeout in the first 8 minutes of the game.

I think the Cal coaches are worried but their players may be hard to motivate after the way the Utes disappeared in Berkeley. I hope the Bears just can't bring themselves to get up for the game. :Evil:

LA Ute
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Some better defensive rebounding would help a lot.