PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for 13-14

Dawminator
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Going into this year, I said that I would be happy if the hoops team got to 14 wins. Well...here we are at 14 wins.

:clap:

Which leads me to ask what win total would it take for you to be satisfied with the direction of the program next season? After some thought and consideration I am going with 19.

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Going into this year, I said that I would be happy if the hoops team got to 14 wins. Well...here we are at 14 wins.

:clap:

Which leads me to ask what win total would it take for you to be satisfied with the direction of the program next season? After some thought and consideration I am going with 19.

I gotta see the non-con schedule and who declares and who transfers into and out of the rest of the Pac-12 before I can start putting a ballpark number on expected wins.

Scratch
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I gotta see the non-con schedule and who declares and who transfers into and out of the rest of the Pac-12 before I can start putting a ballpark number on expected wins.

I agree with Pat. If we had the same schedule next year that we had this year against the same P12, I would put it at 17.

LA Ute
03-14-2013, 10:30 AM
How about the NIT as a minimum expectation for next year?

Scratch
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

I'd take any postseason tournament, just because I think there may be some minor growing pains with Washburn, DuBois, and Martin all leaving.

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Heres the thing with expectations for next year.............We have a lot of seniors this year, and a lot of freshman, and not a ton in between. Next year, we will have a solid soph class. But will they be good enough to make up for it? The Larry hating trolls are laying a trap by demanding that we reach the NIT next year or Larry should be out. Quite frankly, thats absurd considering all the seniors we lose. We just don't know enough to set that as a requirement. Now, in 2014-2015? Yeah, thats probably fair. Next year? too soon.

I am going to hold off on any expectations until I see how it plays out.

LA Ute
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Heres the thing with expectations for next year.............We have a lot of seniors this year, and a lot of freshman, and not a ton in between. Next year, we will have a solid soph class. But will they be good enough to make up for it? The Larry hating trolls are laying a trap by demanding that we reach the NIT next year or Larry should be out. Quite frankly, thats absurd considering all the seniors we lose. We just don't know enough to set that as a requirement. Now, in 2014-2015? Yeah, thats probably fair. Next year? too soon.

I guess I should recalibrate my "expectation" for the NIT into a hope that we can make the NIT. I guess a lot will depend on Delon Wright and also how the freshmen group progresses. Does anyone think Kovacevic (sp?) will bring anything significant to the team?

Diehard Ute
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I guess I should recalibrate my "expectation" for the NIT into a hope that we can make the NIT. I guess a lot will depend on Delon Wright and also how the freshmen group progresses. Does anyone think Kovacevic (sp?) will bring anything significant to the team?

I really don't think we'll have any idea on Kova until he's here, and even then who knows. Bachynski looked like he was going to be a great catch, then he vanished faster than a cute girl in a Lance Burton show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rocker Ute
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM

One thing to consider this next year that this team didn't have this year is a full season and a half under their belt of playing together and playing under Kodiak's system. Lets not forget that most of this team hadn't even played together at all until last summer. I think that will do wonders for what they can start to do in practice from the get go, to off-season training etc.

Washburn has been great this season, but even he didn't really hit his stride until late into non-conference play. I'm hoping to see some big leaps from the bigs that remain. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a breakout of sorts next year of Loveridge. He has been asked to do a lot of hard things as a frosh and has done the extraordinarily well, all things considered. Same with Taylor. I also expect some significant improvement from Olsen over the break.

My expectations for this year were 14-16 wins, so currently we are at a 'low met' for me. Next year I think a CBI invite should be expected, particularly if the bigs can develop to at least the level of Wash (and I think it is plausible for Olsen to contribute the point and rebound totals that Wash has provided this year) along with the new talent coming in that is pretty viable.

The year after that it is hard to come up with any further excuses for the program, it would be Larry's year 3 by their mark, year 4 by reality. A solid 20+ win season with an NIT invite NCAA buble caliber team would be my minimum expectation.

I like the foundation that is being set, and I like seeing that this team is coming together late in the season. If you would have asked me what I thought 3 weeks ago my answers would be very different. Can't express how happy I am for these guys to have 3 wins in a row.

March Madness is the most wonderful time of the year.

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

I couldnt agree more.

mpfunk
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Yes that is absolutely the minimum acceptable standard for next year.

SeattleUte
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

I agree but this cuts both ways. We have four freshmen who have made material contributions, and three of them made huge strides in just the past few weeks after being immaterial the first half of the season. Who knows if that four person nucleus can steepen their trajectory and become really good by next year. Maybe they can. Also, Aaron Dotson is a big question mark as is Delon Wright. I'm not a troll laying a trap, just optimistic. It wouldn't shock me if this team were a lot better next than this year. Two times in Majerus' career he came off of a mediocre or bad season with a nucleus of promising sophomores and low to middling expecations form the fan base, and won 30+ the next year. For one thing, in this game a quality point guard makes all the difference in the world. Yes, Majerus was special, but I have a good feeling about K/Connors.

I had a good time at the Husky game this year, right behind the bench. It was Taylor's breakout game (19pts. 6 assts. against a very athletic team on the road that was just off two big wins in Northern California) and the Utes led throught. I liked the poise of our coaches, and I won't forget the tiny "RM" embrodered in the center of the smile of their jerseys.

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree but this cuts both ways. We have four freshmen who have made material contributions, and three of them made huge strides in just the past few weeks after being immaterial the first half of the season. Who knows if that four person nucleus can steepen their trajectory and become really good by next year. Maybe they can. Also, Aaron Dotson is a big question mark as is Delon Wright. I'm not a troll laying a trap, just optimistic. It wouldn't shock me if this team were a lot better next than this year. Two times in Majerus' career he came off of a mediocre or bad season with a nucleus of promising sophomores and low to middling expecations form the fan base, and won 30+ the next year. For one thing, in this game a quality point guard makes all the difference in the world. Yes, Majerus was special, but I have a good feeling about K/Connors.

I had a good time at the Husky game this year, right behind the bench. It was Taylor's breakout game (19pts. 6 assts. against a very athletic team on the road that was just off two big wins in Northern California) and the Utes led throught. I liked the poise of our coaches, and I won't forget the tiny "RM" embrodered in the center of the smile of their jerseys.

And its certainly not you who I am calling out. I am calling out the part of our fanbase (a small, but vocal minority) who feel that jimbo would have led us to the pac12 title and cant get past the fact that Larry is the coach. they mindlessly smear him at every turn for things that they would have allowed to slide under boylen. Some of them cant even see the obvious that we are better now than in Boylens last two years!

You make great points, and Id love to see us get to a big postseason tournament next year. It could happen! But I dont want to get into "we better, or else!" mode.

SeattleUte
03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
And its certainly not you who I am calling out. I am calling out the part of our fanbase (a small, but vocal minority) who feel that jimbo would have led us to the pac12 title and cant get past the fact that Larry is the coach. they mindlessly smear him at every turn for things that they would have allowed to slide under boylen. Some of them cant even see the obvious that we are better now than in Boylens last two years!

You make great points, and Id love to see us get to a big postseason tournament next year. It could happen! But I dont want to get into "we better, or else!" mode.

Ah yes, the Boylen apologists. One reason Utefans became hard to take. Some people are easily bought off with free pizza and beer and access.

mpfunk
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm not saying Larry should be out next year if he doesn't make the NIT, but I would be extremely concerned about his long term future if he isn't able to get to the NIT next year.

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm not saying Larry should be out next year if he doesn't make the NIT, but I would be extremely concerned about his long term future if he isn't able to get to the NIT next year.

And thats a fair statement.

Scratch
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I think one of the biggest keys for next year that hasn't been discussed will be whether or not Tucker really is the very good 3-point shooter that he has been in limited attempts this year. He's 13 0f 30 (43.3%) this year. If he's a legitimate high 30s shooter then that will make a big difference for our team, especially if Dotson isn't back. It gives us the flexibility to use him at either the 2 or 3 depending on matchups, gives us much greater flexibility with other potential lineups because we always need a couple of long-range threats out there to keep defenses honest, and just makes him a potential difference-maker, given his size and athleticism.

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes that is absolutely the minimum acceptable standard for next year.

I hate the idea of talking about the NIT as an acceptable standard.

If we get it, I'll take it and fully accept the idea that the program is headed in the right direction, long-term. But the reason I hate the NIT as a goal/standard mindset is that the margin of error between your last eight teams into the dance and the first eight at-larges in the NIT is very, very slim. If you're going to make the NIT as a goal for next year's team, then we should just go ahead and take what amounts to a very small step in between the two and shoot for the NCAAs.

This program has been saddled by low expectations for several years. There's nothing wrong in thinking a little bigger than we already are. My worry is that we schedule down again next year and give the committee a reason to hammer us in the selection room because our non-con SOS is weak. Hypothetically, as long as the NCAAs out of the equation, I would rather take a CBI bid against the 10th toughest schedule in the country than an NIT bid against the 150th toughest schedule

SeattleUte
03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I hate the idea of talking about the NIT as an acceptable standard.

If we get it, I'll take it and fully accept the idea that the program is headed in the right direction, long-term. But the reason I hate the NIT as a goal/standard mindset is that the margin of error between your last eight teams into the dance and the first eight at-larges in the NIT is very, very slim. If you're going to make the NIT as a goal for next year's team, then we should just go ahead and take what amounts to a very small step in between the two and shoot for the NCAAs.

This program has been saddled by low expectations for several years. There's nothing wrong in thinking a little bigger than we already are. My worry is that we schedule down again next year and give the committee a reason to hammer us in the selection room because our non-con SOS is weak. Hypothetically, as long as the NCAAs out of the equation, I would rather take a CBI bid against the 10th toughest schedule in the country than an NIT bid against the 150th toughest schedule

This St. Louis team which won both the Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament of course is a team Majerus assembled. The point guard Kwamain Mitchell is exactly Brandon Taylor's height and weight. He had 19 points today on 7-9 shooting. Miami's Shane Larkin is 5-11 and ten pounds heavier but probably not as quick.

I think Taylor is just the kind of player we've always won with. We've won with four and five year players who give it their all, not four and five star players.

Scratch
03-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Jahii Carson and Taylor are the same height, and Carson has about 10 pounds on Taylor. Taylor's not as quick as Carson and doesn't finish like Carson, but is a better shooter. I'm not saying Taylor is as good, obviously, but I haven't seen anyone say ASU can't win with a PG the size of Carson.

LA Ute
03-17-2013, 11:11 PM
This St. Louis team which won both the Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament of course is a team Majerus assembled. The point guard Kwamain Mitchell is exactly Brandon Taylor's height and weight. He had 19 points today on 7-9 shooting. Miami's Shane Larkin is 5-11 and ten pounds heavier but probably not as quick.

I think Taylor is just the kind of player we've always won with. We've won with four and five year players who give it their all, not four and five star players.

I think Taylor could be fine as long as as have someone with some length playing the 2. Majerus always had a 2 with some size, IIRC. So the combination of Taylor + Delon Wright sounds great. Taylor + Glen Dean makes me nervous.

SeattleUte
03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I think Taylor could be fine as long as as have someone with some length playing the 2. Majerus always had a 2 with some size, IIRC. So the combination of Taylor + Delon Wright sounds great. Taylor + Glen Dean makes me nervous.

Glen Dean is just not very good; that is the main problem. St. Louis' other guard is 6-0. By the way, St. Louis beat a very good VCU team for both A 10 titles.