PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Did Maten leave with an offer from the Utes?

I was under the impression that once Kuzma committed, Utah lost interest in Maten.

UBlender
09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Per Tony Jones, who covers Utah basketball recruiting better than anyone including the pay sites, Utah did offer Maten and did want him following the other commitments. My own opinion of him was somewhat lukewarm but ultimately I think Larry has acquitted himself well as a recruiter (both in landing some heavyweights like Chapman and Kuzma and in having an eye for the unheralded kid with high potential to contribute like Taylor and Tucker).

FountainOfUte
09-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Per Tony Jones, who covers Utah basketball recruiting better than anyone including the pay sites, Utah did offer Maten and did want him following the other commitments. My own opinion of him was somewhat lukewarm but ultimately I think Larry has acquitted himself well as a recruiter (both in landing some heavyweights like Chapman and Kuzma and in having an eye for the unheralded kid with high potential to contribute like Taylor and Tucker).

Maten seemed like a stretch once all the currently available scholies were gone. I'm not sure any kid we'd actually want would wait around 'til next spring and wait for one of our current players to get disgruntled with playing time and leave (not that this won't happen). Not that I have any idea what LK had in mind, but I'm wondering if Maten was a "stretch goal" anyway. Not likely, but gravy it if happened.

Time to move on and put the press on Mawien and Swanigan.

UtahsMrSports
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
if we do add a big, id like to add a young 5 man. Who knows if Bach/Kova/Olsen will all stay and even if they do, all 3 are jrs/soph this year. Not very spread out. need someone in the pipeline.

sancho
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
if we do add a big, id like to add a young 5 man. Who knows if Bach/Kova/Olsen will all stay and even if they do, all 3 are jrs/soph this year. Not very spread out. need someone in the pipeline.

Not sure about the others, but Olsen better stay. He's gonna be very important for us.

UtahsMrSports
09-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Not sure about the others, but Olsen better stay. He's gonna be very important for us.

One of the best things Boylen did for our program was to slap redshirts on Jason Washburn in 08-09 and Jeremy Olsen in 09-10. Wash was more or less stuck as others transferred. Once Larry convinced Olsen to come back, he is all but ours for his career.

UtahsMrSports
09-12-2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=26815991&nid=840&title=utecast-9-11-utah-vs-oregon-state-preview-plus-hoops-talk-with-2-ute-commits

UteCast with interviews with Isaiah Wright and Kyle Kuzma. Kuzma is on part 1, Wright is at the beginning of part 2.

UtahsMrSports
09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Per Brian Swinney, Jamuni McNease will be on an official visit this weekend. He is a 6'10, athletic big man.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jamuni-McNeace-143225

UtahsMrSports
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
One more update today.......

Thanks to @RunninU for tweeting this out.

Rivals released their top150 for 2015 and two Ute targets made the list.

Tres Tinkle (has a hard offer) comes in at 113, and Brock Miller comes in at 145.

UtahsMrSports
09-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Nothing much new. Just a few tidbits...

-Jamuni McNeace got an offer from Oklahoma, so he is starting to blow up a bit on the national scene.

- Makol Mawien received an official offer from BYU, so thatll be a fun recruiting battle to watch over the next year.

Applejack
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Nothing much new. Just a few tidbits...

-Jamuni McNeace got an offer from Oklahoma, so he is starting to blow up a bit on the national scene.

- Makol Mawien received an official offer from BYU, so thatll be a fun recruiting battle to watch over the next year.

Thanks, Mr Utah Sports. I always enjoy this thread. Any knowledge on whether Mawien is LDS?

UtahsMrSports
10-08-2013, 02:33 PM
A few days old here, but Jamuni Mcneace has committed to Oklahoma.

LA Ute
10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Pretty interesting Kyle Kuzma interview here:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26815991&nid=840

It starts at about 12:00 on the first podcast.

UtahsMrSports
10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Pretty interesting Kyle Kuzma interview here:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26815991&nid=840

It starts at about 12:00 on the first podcast.

Its awesome to see a kid like Kuzma and just how much sheer excitement he has for the program.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Looks like Kyle Kuzma is leaving Rise Academy and starting his Utah career tomorrow. Tomorrow! This article (http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2013/10/flints_kyle_kuzma_forgoes_post.html) says that he just wants to be around the team and the program to be completely ready to play next year. That has me pretty excited.

UtahsMrSports
10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Looks like Kyle Kuzma is leaving Rise Academy and starting his Utah career tomorrow. Tomorrow! This article (http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2013/10/flints_kyle_kuzma_forgoes_post.html) says that he just wants to be around the team and the program to be completely ready to play next year. That has me pretty excited.

If he comes in here and can put some weight on...(he is 6'9 with an inch to grow still per his twitter) he could be the starting 4 next year with loveridge at the 3. This is unfathomable to me, but we could see Brekkott Chapman as a bench player to begin his Utah career.

FountainOfUte
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
If he comes in here and can put some weight on...(he is 6'9 with an inch to grow still per his twitter) he could be the starting 4 next year with loveridge at the 3. This is unfathomable to me, but we could see Brekkott Chapman as a bench player to begin his Utah career.

That'd be a hell of a bench, at least by our own recent standards. Regardless of how it plays out, it's nice to see potential of an upward trend. I'm still getting used to it.

UBlender
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Here's Utah's release on the signing of Kuzma, Chapman and Wright. Looks like Utah is done for now but obviously will address any needs or openings that arise with the late signing period in the spring.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111313aab.html

SeattleUte
11-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Here's Utah's release on the signing of Kuzma, Chapman and Wright. Looks like Utah is done for now but obviously will address any needs or openings that arise with the late signing period in the spring.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111313aab.html

You know, it's always a relief when they sign.

Jarid in Cedar
11-13-2013, 05:29 PM
This may be the class that gets us back on the national map. On top of it, we have a great core that will still be around next year, so things are looking up.

Irving Washington
11-14-2013, 01:15 PM

The article says that he will redshirt during his true freshman year. I assume that's 14-15, so he won't be playing next year.

Scratch
11-14-2013, 01:19 PM
The article says that he will redshirt during his true freshman year. I assume that's 14-15, so he won't be playing next year.

Pretty sure that's referring to this year. since he's with the team already.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Pretty sure that's referring to this year. since he's with the team already.

This is correct. He'll have 4 to play 4 starting next fall

sancho
11-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Blog post from Trib Tony on newest Utah commit:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/57140742-59/utah-togiai-offer-utes.html.csp

I hope K and Whitt can agree to let this guy be a two sport star, but I doubt it will happen.

UTEopia
11-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Blog post from Trib Tony on newest Utah commit:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/57140742-59/utah-togiai-offer-utes.html.csp

I hope K and Whitt can agree to let this guy be a two sport star, but I doubt it will happen.

I don't think it is really possible to be a two sport star when one sport is basketball and the other football. Basketball practice starts in early October and if the football team is any good will not end until late December or early January. Basketball season overlaps with spring football. While the idea is nice, I think that it is not practical.

I just hope the kid is a player and that he adds to the team we have going forward. The Utes will have 4 seniors (Onwas, Bach, Marko, Wright) leaving after the 2015 season unless someone leaves a year early. The Miller kid will be returning from his mission and Togai makes two.

sancho
11-16-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't think it is really possible to be a two sport star when one sport is basketball and the other football. Basketball practice starts in early October and if the football team is any good will not end until late December or early January. Basketball season overlaps with spring football. While the idea is nice, I think that it is not practical.

Well, there are precedents. It has been done. But yeah, nobody does it anymore. Pity.

SeattleUte
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Well, there are precedents. It has been done. But yeah, nobody does it anymore. Pity.

He should focus on basketball. Football is a brutal, nasty, dangerous game.

U-Ute
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
He should focus on basketball. Football is a brutal, nasty, dangerous game.

Relevant.

EDIT: Dang. That last one is an animated gif. I'm not sure how to embed that. here's the link (http://i.imgur.com/tVVvPAP.gif).

Applejack
11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Relevant.

EDIT: Dang. That last one is an animated gif. I'm not sure how to embed that. here's the link (http://i.imgur.com/tVVvPAP.gif).

LOL. Sign him up!

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2014, 09:40 AM
A few little tidbits here:

-Austrian big man Jakob Poeltl was in town for an official visit in recent weeks. Here is his profile page. http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Jakob_Poeltl/Arkadia_Traiskirchen_Lions/227889
He also visited Cal and Arizona. After scouring youtube, the only thing I could find on him was a weird 30 second video of him accepting an MVP trophy.

-Juco forward Chris Reyes visited over this past weekend. He is an explosive athlete who rebounds the ball with reckless abandon. Here is a highlight video (I think) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXrtZIiI5k
I am really confused about this kid, to be honest. Per Tony Jones, he redshirted at St. Marys after high school and is now in Juco. If thats the case, and I have the correct highlight video, then he was a hs jr in 10-11, sr in 11-12, rs at St Marys in 12-13 and is now a freshman in juco ball. I would love to be able to check the official site of Citrus College but it has been suspended http://www.citruscollege.edu/ATHLETICS/MENSBASKETBALL/Pages/default.aspx lol. So is he a three to play three? Who knows? I did find that he is averaging about 19 points, 12 boards and 4 blocks per game in Juco.

I think we will see a couple of transfers. As to who, its certainly remains to be seen. Guess we will see!

sancho
02-25-2014, 09:43 AM
I think we will see a couple of transfers. As to who, its certainly remains to be seen. Guess we will see!

Who would transfer? Kova? Everyone else is getting real minutes in big games.

sancho
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
What are the numbers for next year, anyway? We lose Lenz and Van Dyke, and we add Kuzma, Chapman, and Wright. So we already have to cut someone? Assuming that is Kova, does that mean we have to drop Tucker/Ogbe/Onwas/Fields if we one of these recruits signs on?

Scratch
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
What are the numbers for next year, anyway? We lose Lenz and Van Dyke, and we add Kuzma, Chapman, and Wright. So we already have to cut someone? Assuming that is Kova, does that mean we have to drop Tucker/Ogbe/Onwas/Fields if we one of these recruits signs on?

No, we had an open scholarship this year. I'm not sure if it was awarded to Kuzma somehow or a walk-on got it for a year or if it's not being used, but as it stands right now no one would have to leave unless someone new gets a scholarship.

sancho
02-25-2014, 10:03 AM
No, we had an open scholarship this year. I'm not sure if it was awarded to Kuzma somehow or a walk-on got it for a year or if it's not being used, but as it stands right now no one would have to leave unless someone new gets a scholarship.

Thanks. So I can assume these recruits are potential replacements for Kovacevic?

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 10:08 AM

-Austrian big man Jakob Poeltl was in town for an official visit in recent weeks. Here is his profile page. http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Jakob_Poeltl/Arkadia_Traiskirchen_Lions/227889
He also visited Cal and Arizona. After scouring youtube, the only thing I could find on him was a weird 30 second video of him accepting an MVP trophy.

-Juco forward Chris Reyes visited over this past weekend. He is an explosive athlete who rebounds the ball with reckless abandon. Here is a highlight video (I think) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXrtZIiI5k
I am really confused about this kid, to be honest. Per Tony Jones, he redshirted at St. Marys after high school and is now in Juco. If thats the case, and I have the correct highlight video, then he was a hs jr in 10-11, sr in 11-12, rs at St Marys in 12-13 and is now a freshman in juco ball. I would love to be able to check the official site of Citrus College but it has been suspended http://www.citruscollege.edu/ATHLETICS/MENSBASKETBALL/Pages/default.aspx lol. So is he a three to play three? Who knows? I did find that he is averaging about 19 points, 12 boards and 4 blocks per game in Juco.

Reyes is 3 to play 3, since he qualified coming out of HS. The only way any of this changes is if he flunked out of St. Mary's, then by going JUCO I believe he needs to earn his associates to become eligible. But it sounds like that's not the case since he's taking visits now.

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Kuzma is our 13th scholarship player this year. We didn't have any open scholarships.

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks. So I can assume these recruits are potential replacements for Kovacevic?

Kovacevic would appear to be the odd man out, but we've got a glut of point guards as well.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Kovacevic would appear to be the odd man out, but we've got a glut of point guards as well.

We do have a glut of PGs, but all of them can play. Kova cannot. I don't expect he'll be a Ute next year.

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2014, 10:23 AM

As with everything I say, this is me just thinking out loud, I have no sources and wont pretend to know what any of these kids are thinking.

Assuming we land Reyes and Kova transfers, here is a list of players at each position next year.

PG
D wright
I Wright
Taylor

SG
Ogbe
Fields

SF
Kuzma
Onwas
Tucker
Loveridge

PF
Reyes
Chapman

C
Bach
Olsen

Now obviously, a lot of these guys can and do play multiple positions. I just stuck them where they could potentially play.

It just wouldnt surprise me if one of those guys on the wings or in the backcourt decides (or its decided for them) that they dont wnat to be part of such a logjam and would want to play elsewhere where more minutes are available. Again, I couldn't even begin to venture a guess as to who, because as you said, just about all of the guys are getting decent minutes. I do think that its known that KK will get take quite a few of those next year at the 2 and 3 spots, and that might push somebody out. Who knows.

sancho
02-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Assuming we land Reyes and Kova transfers, here is a list of players at each position next year.

Yup, that's 13. So the likeliest scenarios I see are:

1) Kova is asked to leave. Nobody else is added.

2) Kova is asked to leave, he is replaced by Reyes, the Austrian, or some other new big, and we have to ask Tucker/Ogbe/Fields to leave. All I can say is, if this happens, the new big better clean the glass like Kenneth Faried.

3) Wright enters the draft. Kova stays unless we can land a better big man.

The 3-5 list for next year is amazing: Fields, Onwas, Tucker, Kuzma, Chapman, Loveridge, Bach, Olsen. How many great lineups can I dream about here? 8 choose 3 = 56!

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
We do have a glut of PGs, but all of them can play. Kova cannot. I don't expect he'll be a Ute next year.

Ahh yes, but they all can't play at the same time.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 11:05 AM

His offer list coming out of high school was all WCC schools. Has he blossomed since then? Anyone know?

#1 Utefan
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Glut of PG's? Wright and Taylor are co-starters and two of the best and most important players on the team. Isiah Wright is an incoming freshman that will replace Wright after he graduates next year. I don't think having 3 pg's can be considered too many, particularly when one will be a senior and the other a junior next year.

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
His offer list coming out of high school was all WCC schools. Has he blossomed since then? Anyone know?

Per Tony, a lot of he Pac-12 schools have become interested in him.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Glut of PG's? Wright and Taylor are co-starters and two of the best and most important players on the team. Isiah Wright is an incoming freshman that will replace Wright after he graduates next year. I don't think having 3 pg's can be considered too many, particularly when one will be a senior and the other a junior next year.

Ogbe's future is at the 1, I think.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Yup, that's 13. So the likeliest scenarios I see are:

1) Kova is asked to leave. Nobody else is added.

2) Kova is asked to leave, he is replaced by Reyes, the Austrian, or some other new big, and we have to ask Tucker/Ogbe/Fields to leave. All I can say is, if this happens, the new big better clean the glass like Kenneth Faried.

3) Wright enters the draft. Kova stays unless we can land a better big man.

The 3-5 list for next year is amazing: Fields, Onwas, Tucker, Kuzma, Chapman, Loveridge, Bach, Olsen. How many great lineups can I dream about here? 8 choose 3 = 56!

Isn't the math on this still wrong? We lose Lenz and PVD, add Chapman and Wright 2.0 (Kuzma is already on scholarship, per Scratch). So if Kova transfers to St. Katherine's we have an opening. If someone else leaves we have two.

Jarid in Cedar
02-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Isn't the math on this still wrong? We lose Lenz and PVD, add Chapman and Wright 2.0 (Kuzma is already on scholarship, per Scratch). So if Kova transfers to St. Katherine's we have an opening. If someone else leaves we have two.

This is correct

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2014, 11:36 AM
LOL, JIC beat me to it.

sancho
02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Oh good. Then the likeliest scenario is everyone stays with Kova transferring only if we are able to add a better big man. I like that better. Thanks!

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Fields?

#1 Utefan
02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Fields is a SG/SF. Where the argument could be made there is a glut of players is at SF. That said, coupled with the incoming class, they are all also talented players (Loveridge, Ogbe, Fields, and possibly Kuzma/Chapman depending on what position those guys end up playing).

Applejack
02-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Fields is a SG/SF. Where the argument could be made there is a glut of players is at SF. That said, coupled with the incoming class, they are all also talented players (Loveridge, Ogbe, Fields, and possibly Kuzma/Chapman depending on what position those guys end up playing).

Ogbe is not a small forward.

sancho
02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
I'll take a stab at it!

1 - Wright, Wright

1/2 - Taylor, Ogbe

2/3 - Tucker, Fields

3 - Onwas

3/4 - Loveridge, Kuzma

4 - Chapman

5 - Back, Olsen, Kova

That's 4 guys who can play PG and 5 who can play SF

Applejack
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
I'll take a stab at it!

1 - Wright, Wright

1/2 - Taylor, Ogbe

2/3 - Tucker, Fields

3 - Onwas

3/4 - Loveridge, Kuzma

4 - Chapman

5 - Back, Olsen, Kova

That's 4 guys who can play PG and 5 who can play SF

I think the really interesting decision is Dakarai Tucker's. I really like him and think he has developed really well this year. He will never be the star of our team, but he could be a really nice change of pace 3 with range with the potential to move to the 2 and start in a few years. But, his minutes have dwindled lately with the emergence of Onwas. He might look elsewhere. I certainly hope he stays as I doubt we could get anyone as good as him.

sancho
02-25-2014, 01:47 PM
I certainly hope he stays as I doubt we could get anyone as good as him.

Ditto. He owns that corner three like no one since Phil Cullen.

UTEopia
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I think the really interesting decision is Dakarai Tucker's. I really like him and think he has developed really well this year. He will never be the star of our team, but he could be a really nice change of pace 3 with range with the potential to move to the 2 and start in a few years. But, his minutes have dwindled lately with the emergence of Onwas. He might look elsewhere. I certainly hope he stays as I doubt we could get anyone as good as him.

The unfortunate truth is that the better we recruit, the more likely it is that players will transfer. I really have a hard time seeing PVD get time when he returns from his mission. He is a great kid and a hard worker, but it will be very difficult for him to be more than the 11th, 12th or 13th guy. I don't know anything about the Miller kid currently on his mission. What is his game like? Can he play in the PAC?

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2014, 02:36 PM
This is going to be tough.

Each of these guys on the wing have a unique skillset and each has had big games this year. A tough call no matter what. Who knows, maybe they all stay?

SoCalPat
02-25-2014, 05:16 PM

It's limited action, but from what I saw against Arizona, I think Fields could make a helluva point guard.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
It's limited action, but from what I saw against Arizona, I think Fields could make a helluva point guard.

:blink:

Really? From what I've seen, and being quite generous, his handle is "loose." His future is as a 3 and D. He's not a good shooter yet (nor a defender, really), but he has the length to get there.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Some very high praise for Brekkott Chapman:

Chapman may be the best point forward in the class. With impressive ball handling, shooting and athleticism for his size, he can set up anywhere and go to work. Few players match his combination of basketball IQ and elite skills; he can drop 20 and 10 without forcing a single shot. His ability to operate out of the triple threat position is reminiscent of Jabari Parker, not in terms of talent but in terms of fluidity and jump shooting at 6-8. One of the smoothest and most savvy scorers in the country, Chapman is my pick to win Pac-12 freshman of the year. If Jordan Loveridge and Delon Wright return next season, he could be the missing piece to make a run in the NCAA Tournament. Utah got the best player in the state, and one of the best on the West Coast.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2014/02/five-under-the-radar-players-in-the-class-of-2014/

Diehard Ute
02-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Some very high praise for Brekkott Chapman:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2014/02/five-under-the-radar-players-in-the-class-of-2014/

If he and Kuzma are as good as advertised the Utes will be very fun to watch.

Tony Jones has been raving about Kuzma's offensive skills as of late

UtahsMrSports
02-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I have scoured the internet and found next to nothing on Reyes recruitment.

there is precious little about Poeltl as well. However, I did find someone who claims he is down to us, AZ, and Cal. Also claimed he would be deciding by the end of February.

LA Ute
02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
I have scoured the internet and found next to nothing on Reyes recruitment.

there is precious little about Poeltl as well. However, I did find someone who claims he is down to us, AZ, and Cal. Also claimed he would be deciding by the end of February.

I understand it is now down to Cal or Utah for Poeltl.

UtahsMrSports
02-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I understand it is now down to Cal or Utah for Poeltl.

It may be down to Cal.....

http://cal.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=1103&script=showmsg.asp&cid=&fid=2334&tid=198725720&mid=198725720&rid=

I am not a rivals subscriber, but I doubt youd start a thread and advertise it as "must read" if it was bad news.........

311ute
02-27-2014, 02:14 PM
UtahMrSports, thanks for finding film on Reyes, it's the first I've seen.

I was at first confused when I heard we were going after an under-sized JUCO 4. But after reading some about Reyes and now watching the youtube clip (even though it was from a few years ago when the kid was in high school and just a 3 minute clip) I can see what the staff is thinking. Although he's just 6-7, he plays a lot bigger than that, and even looks a lot bigger than that on film. He has long arms, is very "bouncy", and what I love most is he appears to be a "quick" jumper (think Andrei Kirilenko). This would explain the 3.7 bpg he's averaging at Citrus College.

Bottom line is he appears to be a "true" 4 who is a great rebounder, a good shot blocker, plays bigger than he is, and can step outside and hit the 3 (shooting 47.6 %, attempting one 3 per game).

He would be a nice insurance plan if Chapman isn't quite ready for big time minutes at the 4. If Chapman is ready, Reyes would be a great backup at the 4.

On a related note, I'm really not sure what position Kuzma will play. The coaches probably don't and won't know until he starts practicing with the team next fall. He seems to be out of the "Kyle Slo-Mo Anderson" mold, in other words a "Point Forward". From everything I hear he is very skilled offensively but not a "bruiser" down low, and may struggle defensively and on the boards until he beefs up. I've heard he could play 2-4, but that remains to be seen. At 6-9 (and reportedly soon to be 6-10) it would be hard to imagine him at the 2.

Either way, it sure is fun to day dream about the possible line-ups we could see next year. We should have a lot of flexibility with the various skills many of our players have, and we'll have A TON of length.

How fun would this lineup be at times:

D. Wright
Ogbe
Loveridge
Kuzma
Chapman

No true 5 there, but a lot of length, and everyone on the floor would be able to handle the ball, see the floor, and make plays for one another.

Applejack
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Do any of you insiders know why Brekkott is suspended from the state tourney:

From Brandon Gurney:

quite the bummer that Brekkott Chapman is suspended...was looking forward to seeing him play for the first time this year

Diehard Ute
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Do any of you insiders know why Brekkott is suspended from the state tourney:

From Brandon Gurney:

Violation of team rules, coach wouldn't say how long the suspension was

UtahsMrSports
03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Violation of team rules, coach wouldn't say how long the suspension was

He was also suspended for game #2, where Roy lost. TJ said that the suspension was absolutely nothing to be worried about from a utes perspective.

Applejack
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I just saw that Justin Hamilton, a former Lone Peak center, played for the Charlotte Bobcats last night. Having never heard of him, i looked up his recruiting page (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Justin-Hamilton-66252).

He signed with Iowa State, but was lightly recruited (offers from Pepperdine, St Mary's, Weber). How did we (and BYU) miss on this guy? I'm sure he was a project, but he's a big guy - 7''0' 250. Seems like Boylen could have taken a shot on him, no?

UtahsMrSports
05-28-2014, 07:24 AM
To the enjoyment of every long time Ute fan, we have another Rydalch coming to Utah!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/57995082-59/com-twitter-rydalch-utes.html.csp

LA Ute
07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
From Light the U:

Two New Utah Hoops Offers (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/LightTheU/~3/m2iUvp5h864/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:40 AM PDT

Utah coaches extended to new Utah hoops offers for the 2016 class today. The first was to Mitch Lightfoot (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Mitch-Lightfoot-165299), a 6’8″ forward from Gilbert, Arizona. Mitch has a pretty ridiculous 6’11″ wingspan, and it becomes pretty quickly apparent in the film below. The dude is “only” 6’8″ and it looks like he barely has to jump to throw the ball through the hoop.

Excited to say that I received a scholarship offer from the University of Utah #UTENATION (https://twitter.com/hashtag/UTENATION?src=hash) #Pac12 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pac12?src=hash)
— Mitch Lightfoot (@Mitchlightfoot) July 28, 2014 (https://twitter.com/Mitchlightfoot/statuses/493877929172942848)

Follow @mitchlightfoot (https://twitter.com/mitchlightfoot)

The second offer was extended to Jonah Mathews (http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jonah-Mathews-153523), a 6’2″, 165 lb shooting guard out of Santa Monica. Jonah has great quickness and really good court vision. Check out his film below:

Jonah Matthews, Class of 2017 SG playing for Cal Supreme (CA), has picked up offers from Utah and Arizona State.
— Pat Lawless (@GiveNGobball) July 28, 2014 (https://twitter.com/GiveNGobball/statuses/493861296568532994)

Follow @jonah_mathews4 (https://twitter.com/jonah_mathews4)

Check out all of the prospects Utah has scouted or shown interest on in the prospects page (http://lighttheu.com/utah-basketball/recruiting-targets/).

The post Two New Utah Hoops Offers (http://lighttheu.com/2014/07/two-new-utah-hoops-offers/) appeared first on Light The U (http://lighttheu.com/).
https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/7QdnJgTvPBkCHHV659Vp11diUfWPMxvNsUfpQ1WyPeOeU0XmGI F-6GLoo2aYHS2ZygnFvTZbXdHZUD0qgpFLbCesBIKcQqc_HEH_-JM6h0BKPwtYqzXs75nYflZdL0DgMb4Ck-E9oAp9Xn2gmMMy9y-BdKs=s0-d-e1-ft#http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/LightTheU/~4/m2iUvp5h864?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

UtahsMrSports
07-29-2014, 08:10 PM
From Light the U:

Two New Utah Hoops Offers (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/LightTheU/~3/m2iUvp5h864/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:40 AM PDT

Utah coaches extended to new Utah hoops offers for the 2016 class today. The first was to Mitch Lightfoot (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Mitch-Lightfoot-165299), a 6’8″ forward from Gilbert, Arizona. Mitch has a pretty ridiculous 6’11″ wingspan, and it becomes pretty quickly apparent in the film below. The dude is “only” 6’8″ and it looks like he barely has to jump to throw the ball through the hoop.

Excited to say that I received a scholarship offer from the University of Utah #UTENATION (https://twitter.com/hashtag/UTENATION?src=hash) #Pac12 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pac12?src=hash)
— Mitch Lightfoot (@Mitchlightfoot) July 28, 2014 (https://twitter.com/Mitchlightfoot/statuses/493877929172942848)

Follow @mitchlightfoot (https://twitter.com/mitchlightfoot)

The second offer was extended to Jonah Mathews (http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jonah-Mathews-153523), a 6’2″, 165 lb shooting guard out of Santa Monica. Jonah has great quickness and really good court vision. Check out his film below:

Jonah Matthews, Class of 2017 SG playing for Cal Supreme (CA), has picked up offers from Utah and Arizona State.
— Pat Lawless (@GiveNGobball) July 28, 2014 (https://twitter.com/GiveNGobball/statuses/493861296568532994)

Follow @jonah_mathews4 (https://twitter.com/jonah_mathews4)

Check out all of the prospects Utah has scouted or shown interest on in the prospects page (http://lighttheu.com/utah-basketball/recruiting-targets/).

The post Two New Utah Hoops Offers (http://lighttheu.com/2014/07/two-new-utah-hoops-offers/) appeared first on Light The U (http://lighttheu.com/).
https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/7QdnJgTvPBkCHHV659Vp11diUfWPMxvNsUfpQ1WyPeOeU0XmGI F-6GLoo2aYHS2ZygnFvTZbXdHZUD0qgpFLbCesBIKcQqc_HEH_-JM6h0BKPwtYqzXs75nYflZdL0DgMb4Ck-E9oAp9Xn2gmMMy9y-BdKs=s0-d-e1-ft#http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/LightTheU/~4/m2iUvp5h864?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Those guys do a great job tracking this stuff. Hard to know if these are comittable offers, but we will see!!

SoCalPat
07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Those guys do a great job tracking this stuff. Hard to know if these are comittable offers, but we will see!!

Since verbal offers hold just as much weight as a verbal commit, none of this is binding. Athletes in any sport cannot receive a written scholarship offer until the August 1 that precedes their senior year of high school. The commitment process becomes a little more binding at that point -- certainly on the school's end.

Do we know if Lightfoot is LDS?

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Since verbal offers hold just as much weight as a verbal commit, none of this is binding. Athletes in any sport cannot receive a written scholarship offer until the August 1 that precedes their senior year of high school. The commitment process becomes a little more binding at that point -- certainly on the school's end.

Right. I absolutely get that. This is where we miss Tony Jones. There are a ton of these AAU folks out there who will turn "Hi, Im Larry K, it was fun to watch you today. Let's keep in touch." into "Utah offered!!" Tony was very good about finding out who the staff was looking at versus who they would take a verbal commitment from today.

sancho
07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Right. I absolutely get that. This is where we miss Tony Jones.

That talent is wasted on the Jazz. Who cares who covers an NBA team? There is nothing to report on or investigate. Just an endless stream of losses and lottery picks.

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2014, 01:37 PM
That talent is wasted on the Jazz. Who cares who covers an NBA team? There is nothing to report on or investigate. Just an endless stream of losses and lottery picks.

Tony's an ideal college team beat writer. I think he will do great at the Jazz, but I agree. His skillset, IMO, is so much more suited to the college games. And that is not to tkae anything away from Piper or Goon, who I think do a great job. They are both miles ahead of where we were when Lya "Let me put up a blog about how I dont have as much access as I want" Wodraska was on the beat. I just think Tony recognized that hoops recruiting was starting to get verrrrry interesting for Utah and he jumped on any and every thing that came out in that regard. Admittedly, this summer has been less interesting than last. But still....

jrj84105
08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Larry K strikes again landing top instate prospect Makol Mawien!

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2014, 11:42 AM
The folks at lighttheu.com retweeted the City College of San Francisco saying that the entire Utah staff was in to see Gabe Bealer and to arrange a visit "soon". I have no idea who this kid is, what position he plays, what year he is, or anything, but if our whole staff is there, well, he might be a decent player.

City College of San Francisco.......hmmm..........never heard of it. Wonder if anyhting or anyone good has ever come out of there?

LA Ute
10-02-2014, 01:04 PM
The folks at lighttheu.com retweeted the City College of San Francisco saying that the entire Utah staff was in to see Gabe Bealer and to arrange a visit "soon". I have no idea who this kid is, what position he plays, what year he is, or anything, but if our whole staff is there, well, he might be a decent player.

City College of San Francisco.......hmmm..........never heard of it. Wonder if anyhting or anyone good has ever come out of there?

Looks like he must be a diamond in the rough, a 2-star JC guy:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-bealer

He has offers from UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Gabe-Bealer-129074

I need to know more before I get too excited.

Scratch
10-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Looks like he must be a diamond in the rough, a 2-star JC guy:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-bealer

He has offers from UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Gabe-Bealer-129074

I need to know more before I get too excited.

Slight correction, those links are for the high-school version of Bealer. I don't see anything current out there, so who knows if he has a single offer. In any event, if the staff likes him then I'm all for them taking a look at him.

SoCalPat
10-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Slight correction, those links are for the high-school version of Bealer. I don't see anything current out there, so who knows if he has a single offer. In any event, if the staff likes him then I'm all for them taking a look at him.

Entirely possible the offer list out of HS is so underwhelming because everyone knew he was an academic casualty and that there was no point offering a guy who had no choice but to go JUCO.

UtahsMrSports
10-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Gabe Bealer is a Ute, per the guys at lighttheu.com

justaute
10-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Here is a video of him from 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9gyD7pKEo

Based on a quick search, according to some forum postings, Bealer may have had some health issues in high school. Who knows.

UtahsMrSports
10-11-2014, 08:08 PM
So, we are now overbooked for next year. So, one of the following is going on......

-Brandon Miller will be looking elsewhere when he gets home.

-The staff knows someone in particular will leave after this year. I doubt this and it would be dumb.

-The staff likes him better than a couple folks currently or scheduled to be on the roster and they dont care about negative mental aspects

Diehard Ute
10-11-2014, 08:32 PM
So, we are now overbooked for next year. So, one of the following is going on......

-Brandon Miller will be looking elsewhere when he gets home.

-The staff knows someone in particular will leave after this year. I doubt this and it would be dumb.

-The staff likes him better than a couple folks currently or scheduled to be on the roster and they dont care about negative mental aspects

Or Togiai is going on a mission.

UtahsMrSports
10-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Or Togiai is going on a mission.

Guess it could happen, but matthew piper said he has no mission plans.

sancho
10-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Guess it could happen, but matthew piper said he has no mission plans.

What if he is playing two sports and is on football scholarship?

LA Ute
10-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Matt Piper on the Gabe Bealer commit tonight. Looks interesting:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58512799-59/bealer-com-twitter-utes.html.csp

Diehard Ute
10-12-2014, 04:56 AM
What if he is playing two sports and is on football scholarship?

If he is doing that by rule he would have to be on a football (unless that's changed recently)

UtahsMrSports
10-12-2014, 09:30 AM
If he is doing that by rule he would have to be on a football (unless that's changed recently)

Hmmm, i did not know this. That could certainly work then. This kid has high potential in either sport.

jrj84105
10-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, i did not know this. That could certainly work then. This kid has high potential in either sport.
For two sport athletes the hierarchy is football>basketball>baseball>?????
i think track might be next.

UtahsMrSports
11-07-2014, 08:56 AM
The guys at LightTheU are saying that Jermaine Haley has decommitted from Washington and that we are going after him hard. He is a 6'6 point guard who rivals ranks as the #52 recruit in the country. Class of 2016.

Speaking of the class of 2016, Lone Peaker and BYU commit Frank Jackson is reportedly looking around. His dad has said he remains committed to BYU, but they are also talking to other folks. The Brandon Gurney's of the world will tell cougar fans that he is a lock, but I get the feeling that the battle for him is far from over. I have not heard him linked to Utah (mostly Stanford and Arizona St.) but i have said before that he is the only lone peaker I have seen who I think could be "the man" on a legitimate contender. Right now, it sounds like he could be a thorn in our side no matter what, but with LArry K, you never know.

311ute
11-12-2014, 10:57 AM
National Signing Day today….

According to Kyle Goon, both Gabe Bealer and Makol Mawein sent in their signed NLIs, and Noah Togiai, although he participated in a local signing party, will sign his this weekend.

First, the question I’ve posed to a few media members (and yet to get a reply) is this: what does signing a basketball NLI mean for possible dual-sport athletes like Noah? If he signs a basketball NLI, does that mean he can’t sign a football NLI?
Dave Hammer, head of SL Metro (local AAU club), told me this: “I believe if he signs now he is ineligible to play freshman year in football. Sign in Feb if wanting to play football.”

Second, let’s look at what this incoming class means going forward:

We now have 14 (out of 13) scholarships for next year. This means one of three things:
1. Brandon Miller never becomes a Ute
2. We have someone on the current roster transfer
3. Noah is either a mission kid or plays football (or uses a football scholarship)

14 scholarship players broken out by class for 2015:
Freshman: Miller, Noah, Makol,
Sophomores: Bealer, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, I.Wright
Juniors: Ogbe, Reyes,
Seniors: Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Olsen

Thoughts?

sancho
11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
We now have 14 (out of 13) scholarships for next year. This means one of three things:
3. Noah is either a mission kid or plays football (or uses a football scholarship)

Thoughts?

My first thought is one I've shared many times before: I hope Noah becomes a two sport star. I think that would be a great story.

My other thought is about Eris Winder. I thought someone said he might become a scholarship player here. Not sure if that's really in the works, but it would crowd things even more.

Diehard Ute
11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Noah told the Tribune folks he's firmly choosing basketball and would sign this weekend when he and his family visit the U.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/532596665925267458

Scratch
11-12-2014, 11:26 AM

According to Kyle Goon, both Gabe Bealer and Makol Mawein sent in their signed NLIs, and Noah Togiai, although he participated in a local signing party, will sign his this weekend.

First, the question I’ve posed to a few media members (and yet to get a reply) is this: what does signing a basketball NLI mean for possible dual-sport athletes like Noah? If he signs a basketball NLI, does that mean he can’t sign a football NLI?
Dave Hammer, head of SL Metro (local AAU club), told me this: “I believe if he signs now he is ineligible to play freshman year in football. Sign in Feb if wanting to play football.”

Thoughts?

Bealer will be a junior unless he redshirts for his JuCo this year (which isn't going to happen unless he gets hurt).

Applejack
11-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Why is basketball NLI day so quiet? It seems like for the football signing day I keep refreshing all day to see what drama occurs - flips, no shows, surprises, etc. For basketball, I never even know that it's happening until it's over.

UtahsMrSports
11-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Thoughts?

Of your list of possible scenarios, im not sure how likely 1 is. Id say 2 is a given. Ive heard that noah is 100% not a mission kid (kyle goon)..... as for being a two sport star, it works ok if its baseball and football. Football and basketball is all but impossible.

sancho
11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Football and basketball is all but impossible.

There are precedents.

UtahsMrSports
11-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Why is basketball NLI day so quiet? It seems like for the football signing day I keep refreshing all day to see what drama occurs - flips, no shows, surprises, etc. For basketball, I never even know that it's happening until it's over.

Couple reasons.....

First, there are significantly fewer signings.

Second, basketball recruiting is much less dramatic, by nature. Once a player committs, basketball coaches back off. Its in poor taste to recruit a committed player, much much more so than in football.

Jarid in Cedar
11-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Looking at the run down of players, my guess is that unless Tucker has a stellar season this year, he will graduate and transfer.

With I. Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, and Bealer, Tucker is the odd man out.

UtahsMrSports
11-12-2014, 11:50 AM
There are precedents.

An anecdotal example here or there for a season or two, but it just doest work if you want to be fully committed to one. Now, if all parties agree that noah can put one sport secondary, then yeah. But good luck with that.

Applejack
11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Looking at the run down of players, my guess is that unless Tucker has a stellar season this year, he will graduate and transfer.

With I. Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, and Bealer, Tucker is the odd man out.

That would be too bad, but I fear you might be correct. I love DakTuck, but he's got an uphill battle for minutes.

UBlender
11-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I read somewhere that by signing now, Togiai would not be able to participate in football as a freshman....if he wants to play football he needs to wait until the football signing period to sign his NLI. Based on that and what Goon has reported, Togiai ain't playing football anytime soon.

It is not fun to see this, but I think it is naive to assume that all eligible players will return....and that doesn't just go for Utah, I think it is pretty much true of every program. Someone will want more minutes/shots and leave of their own accord. Utah has merely replaced that person in advance. It is way too early to have any idea who that will be.

Diehard Ute
11-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Yes by signing now he cannot play football. In all conversations I've had with people its been pretty obvious he was wanting to focus on hoops

Scorcho
11-12-2014, 03:39 PM
in case it hasn't been mentioned.

Princeton Onwas found a home with San Jose St and Ahmad Fields with Drexel University.

NorthwestUteFan
11-12-2014, 05:30 PM
An anecdotal example here or there for a season or two, but it just doest work if you want to be fully committed to one. Now, if all parties agree that noah can put one sport secondary, then yeah. But good luck with that.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins did that up here for a year or so. He was All-Everything in football, but rode pine far down at the end of the bench in basketball.

LA Ute
11-12-2014, 05:32 PM
in case it hasn't been mentioned.

Princeton Onwas found a home with San Jose St and Ahmad Fields with Drexel University.

Great to hear that.

UtahsMrSports
11-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins did that up here for a year or so. He was All-Everything in football, but rode pine far down at the end of the bench in basketball.

Yep, every example I can think of from ASJ to Julius peppers to Bronson Kaufusi locally has been that way. They are football players primarily, who join the hoops squad part way through the year once football ends. Not sure any football coach would ever agree to have a player be primarily a basketball player. Hoops practice starts in early october; barely halfway through the season.

Kaufusi was actually a somewhat decent addition to their team a couple of years ago. He could rebound, defend, and was generally a goon that was somewhat in control. I think at the end of the day, Bronco, Rose, and Bronson all realized teh same thing everyone usually realizes, its way too hard to play both at the college level.

At any rate, it appears Togiai will stick with hoops, and I say to him and the other newcomers: "Welcome aboard!"

sancho
11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Yep, every example I can think of from ASJ to Julius peppers to Bronson Kaufusi locally has been that way. They are football players primarily, who join the hoops squad part way through the year once football ends.

And Charlie Ward, of course. You are right, most cases are just some muscle that football lends to basketball for a while, there are always exceptions. It's been too long since we had one. I wish more coaches would let players try.

mUUser
11-13-2014, 09:14 AM
And Charlie Ward, of course. You are right, most cases are just some muscle that football lends to basketball for a while, there are always exceptions. It's been too long since we had one. I wish more coaches would let players try.

Remember that monster for CSU that was inserted into a game at the Special Events Center to take out Greg Dean? A nice little elbow to the jaw to stir things up a bit. Anyone remember that dude's name?

LA Ute
11-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Remember that monster for CSU that was inserted into a game at the Special Events Center to take out Greg Dean? A nice little elbow to the jaw to stir things up a bit. Anyone remember that dude's name?

I remember everything about that incident except the guy's name.

UtahsMrSports
11-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Lol. of course i would forget the best example. well said, sir.

sancho
11-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Here's an article from Wilner on changing basketball to be a one-semester sport. This might make two-sport stars more common:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2014/11/13/college-basketball-2014-15-the-case-for-moving-the-season-back-one-month/

SoCalPat
11-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Thoughts?

I think Stew Morrill needs to be at the airport when Miller gets home.

concerned
11-13-2014, 01:57 PM

And go back when van dyke gets home.

UBlender
11-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Miller's younger brother just signed with Utah State, so maybe there's more to this than we know.

concerned
11-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Miller's younger brother just signed with Utah State, so maybe there's more to this than we know.

Since Two Utes son is now an Aggie, he would probably know.

LA Ute
11-13-2014, 03:05 PM
And go back when van dyke gets home.

Does everyone think Parker is done as a Ute? Part of me thinks that would be a shame, but I understand the realities of the situation.

UtahsMrSports
11-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Does everyone think Parker is done as a Ute? Part of me thinks that would be a shame, but I understand the realities of the situation.

I am so confused as to why people think PVD cant play at the Pac-12 level (not saying this is your point, LA, just commenting in general). Its so easy (and lazy quite frankly) to look at his skin color and say "he cant defend!" nonsense. what I saw last year was a kid who wasn't ready for this level but who put in a great effort at both ends, and kids like that with an elite skill (shooting) can absolutely become useful at this level. Larry would be very wise to do all he can to get PVD to return.

Two Utes
11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
I am so confused as to why people think PVD cant play at the Pac-12 level (not saying this is your point, LA, just commenting in general). Its so easy (and lazy quite frankly) to look at his skin color and say "he cant defend!" nonsense. what I saw last year was a kid who wasn't ready for this level but who put in a great effort at both ends, and kids like that with an elite skill (shooting) can absolutely become useful at this level. Larry would be very wise to do all he can to get PVD to return.

He can play. There will be other schools in the state that I would guess would be happy to take him.

concerned
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM

I suspect he cant, and I say that as someone whose kids have gone thru school and little league sports with the Van Dykes (younger than Parker) and who roots for him wholeheartedly. He was slow and small last year, and he doesnt fit the prototype of perimiter player LK has been recruiting lately. So I suspect if anybody is going to be an odd man out is a year or two he will be. Just my $0.02, however, and I hope I am wrong.

Two Utes
11-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Since Two Utes son is now an Aggie, he would probably know.

I don't know anything. But I would totally guess Utah State would be interested in him. From what I understand, the youngest Miller is a sign and send. And I have been told from someone not connected in any way to Utah State that Miller's dad thinks the youngest one might be the best of the three.

I also know that I saw on twitter that the oldest is ready to go this year at Harvard.

UTEopia
11-13-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't know whether he can or he cannot. It appeared to me that he started out as the freshman who played the most and as the year went on he moved further and further down the bench.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Frank Jackson decommits from BYU a week after attending the Utah-Oregon game and about 10 minutes after BYU's first game. Anyone have any inside on the situation?

UtahsMrSports
11-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Frank Jackson decommits from BYU a week after attending the Utah-Oregon game and about 10 minutes after BYU's first game. Anyone have any inside on the situation?

Hes been talking to other schools for a while. From reading his Dads comments in recent articles, it was obvious to all but the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney that this was going to happen. I think he wants to see whats out there, and being a high school junior, he should.

I have no idea if he is leaning any particular way, but ive said before and ill say again, if we are going to steal a lone peaker, this is the one to steal. Hes the best one to come through.

concerned
11-15-2014, 07:58 AM
the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney

What a good colorful image. They seem more like a caliphate to me, but then I'm a lawyer and probably defensive.

sancho
11-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Hes been talking to other schools for a while. From reading his Dads comments in recent articles, it was obvious to all but the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney that this was going to happen. I think he wants to see whats out there, and being a high school junior, he should.

I have no idea if he is leaning any particular way, but ive said before and ill say again, if we are going to steal a lone peaker, this is the one to steal. Hes the best one to come through.

I hope we can persuade him. If not, I see that Duke is also on the list....Of course, anything would be better for me and for him than BYU.

Applejack
11-15-2014, 01:23 PM

The rumor is that Stanford and BYU are the front-runners. I doubt the kid comes to Utah - his mom is a HUGE BYU homer and his dad is a convert with no connection to the state (other than living in it right now). By the time his recruitment is done, I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.

sancho
11-15-2014, 01:40 PM
I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.

Don't list Stanford with Duke and Arizona. Stanford is closer to BYU that Duke/Arizona in terms of getting him to the NBA.

It would be tempting to choose BYU for the Jimmer-ball. He gets to score 30 per game while shooting 28% from the field. Tons of attention. It would be tempting to choose anything else for every other possible consideration.

U-Ute
11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
It would be tempting to choose BYU for the Jimmer-ball. He gets to score 30 per game while shooting 28% from the field. Tons of attention.

Everyone from Orem to Payson would be telling him how great he is.

concerned
11-21-2014, 04:02 PM
saw a tweet a little while ago that Noah Togiai has not signed and has doubts that he will ever sign. Anybody know what is going on?

well, just saw an answer

http://www.sltrib.com/home/1856889-155/local-recruit-noah-togiai-still-unsigned

sancho
11-21-2014, 04:21 PM
saw a tweet a little while ago that Noah Togiai has not signed and has doubts that he will ever sign. Anybody know what is going on?

well, just saw an answer

Don't go to USU, Noah.

Diehard Ute
11-21-2014, 05:40 PM

well, just saw an answer

Maybe they're just stalling because of the rule that keeps him from playing football if he signs another LOI?

LA Ute
11-21-2014, 06:16 PM
I really hope we get him, so don't get me wrong. But am I the only one who thinks, "Well, it will be too bad if Noah goes elsewhere but we can get other players like him now."

Now, don't rip me for saying that (looking at you, SCP) because I know we have to get the top local kids. But to me, the days of feeling deeply depressed because we lost out on one local blue-chipper seem to be past.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2014, 06:51 PM
I really hope we get him, so don't get me wrong. But am I the only one who thinks, "Well, it will be too bad if Noah goes elsewhere but we can get other players like him now."

Now, don't rip me for saying that (looking at you, SCP) because I know we have to get the top local kids. But to me, the days of feeling deeply depressed because we lost out on one local blue-chipper seem to be past.
Nah, I think that's fair. Larry has shown that he can get guys here. Obviously you want to land the top talent in state, but losing this guy won't break the program.

UtahsMrSports
11-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Im hoping we can land him, regardless of sport. He could be an all conference defender on the hardwood, or terrific in a few spots on the grid iron.

Old Standing ute
11-23-2014, 06:04 PM

Agree. Plus if he signs we are 1 over----not sure who we would want or expect to leave??

SoCalPat
11-23-2014, 10:32 PM

I know there has been a heated debate about the importance of local kids vs. out of state kids on various forums covering many years, but if I've been staking ground on one side of this argument, it's that our most talented players have almost always been out of state kids. If anything, I'm with you on this one.

sancho
12-22-2014, 03:18 PM

If BYU, who has been mining Lone Peak for the last decade, misses out on the one truly great player to come out of there, it would be the funniest thing in the history of recruiting.

#1 Utefan
12-23-2014, 08:09 AM
The rumor is that Stanford and BYU are the front-runners. I doubt the kid comes to Utah - his mom is a HUGE BYU homer and his dad is a convert with no connection to the state (other than living in it right now). By the time his recruitment is done, I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.

Tough to compete against Stanford in preparing a kid for the NBA? If I wanted to play in the NBA, I wouldn't seriously consider Stanford. Anyone that has watched Stanford in recent years under Johnny Dawkins coached knows that.

Now, if the kid doesn't think he will reach the NBA and wants a Stanford degree, then I could understand keeping them in the mix. I can guarantee Coach K and Utah's staff would better prepare Jackson and just about any player for development and a shot at the NBA then Dawkins and Stanford.

Applejack
12-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Tough to compete against Stanford in preparing a kid for the NBA? If I wanted to play in the NBA, I wouldn't seriously consider Stanford. Anyone that has watched Stanford in recent years under Johnny Dawkins coached knows that.

Now, if the kid doesn't think he will reach the NBA and wants a Stanford degree, then I could understand keeping them in the mix. I can guarantee Coach K and Utah's staff would better prepare Jackson and just about any player for development and a shot at the NBA then Dawkins and Stanford.

Fair point. I should have said it's hard to compete against Duke, Arizona, and Stanford, period. But you are right that Stanford hasn't had the developmental success some other teams have had.

UtahsMrSports
12-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Fair point. I should have said it's hard to compete against Duke, Arizona, and Stanford, period. But you are right that Stanford hasn't had the developmental success some other teams have had.

This may be hyperbole, but if we were to land Jackson, it just might be the biggest recruiting victory in Utah basketball history.

sancho
12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
This may be hyperbole, but if we were to land Jackson, it just might be the biggest recruiting victory in Utah basketball history.

If that's the case, he is probably a one-and-done anyway. I'd be happy to have him, but mostly I love the irony if BYU misses out on the first Lone Peak recruit to land on the big time national radar.

UtahsMrSports
12-23-2014, 02:20 PM
If that's the case, he is probably a one-and-done anyway. I'd be happy to have him, but mostly I love the irony if BYU misses out on the first Lone Peak recruit to land on the big time national radar.

Same here!

311ute
01-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Big news I just saw on twitter.... 4 star 2016 big man Zach Collins from Bishop Gorman has scheduled an official visit to SLC Feb 14-16. Other visits he has lined up are Cal, Gonzaga, and New Mexico. I watched a few short clips on him, he looks very skilled offensively... soft shot, good passer, great footwork. Doesn't exactly look like a "rim-protector", but apparently he's still growing.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zach-collins

So that makes 3 four-star big men (that I know of) that we're currently recruiting for 2016... would be huge if we could land one of them.

The others are...

Sydney 7 footer Isaac Humphries
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaac-humphries

and Jayce Johnson
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jayce-johnson

FountainOfUte
01-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Big news I just saw on twitter.... 4 star 2016 big man Zach Collins from Bishop Gorman has scheduled an official visit to SLC Feb 14-16. Other visits he has lined up are Cal, Gonzaga, and New Mexico. I watched a few short clips on him, he looks very skilled offensively... soft shot, good passer, great footwork. Doesn't exactly look like a "rim-protector", but apparently he's still growing.

So that makes 3 four-star big men (that I know of) that we're currently recruiting for 2016... would be huge if we could land one of them.

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson

Anyone know who our main targets are? Who are the 2-3 guys the coaches are betting on? And who are the 1-2 contingencies?

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 04:54 PM

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson

I think Krysko will continue to attract big men, especially as Poeltl develops and gets national attention. There will be more and more grounds for confidence in his ability to coach those bigs up.

SoCalPat
01-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Anyone know who our main targets are? Who are the 2-3 guys the coaches are betting on? And who are the 1-2 contingencies?

Given none of our current centers will be on the roster for the start of the 2016-17 season, any center we go after is our primary target.

UtahsMrSports
01-13-2015, 08:03 PM

I know we are really going hard after jermaine haley from canada and frank jackson from lone peak.

concerned
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Do we really have a shot at Frank J? I heard it was either Stanford, Duke or the Y. Are we really in the running?

sancho
01-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Do we really have a shot at Frank J? I heard it was either Stanford, Duke or the Y. Are we really in the running?

I'm not sure the Duke interest is there yet, but he seems to be on the radar. If Duke really does get serious, how could he pass on that for BYU or Stanford?

UtahsMrSports
01-13-2015, 09:13 PM

I have yet to see anything definitive on him. Last I read, he had released a top 5-6 list and the Y was not on it. But who knows,

-ESPN says he doesn't have an offer from Utah.
-Rivals says he has "high" interest in BYU, Medium interest in Arizona St, and no interest in Utah
-247sports says that he has official offers from Arizona, Arizona St, and Utah and has also heard from UCLA, Stanford and "a little" from Duke.

My experience tells me that when it comes to basketball recruiting, Rivals and scout are half-hearted in their coverage, ESPN is pretty good and 247 is generally on top of things. So, I hope that Duke's interest stays passive and I hope that we can land him. The article below says that Larry K was there to watch him at this particular tournament.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Top-30-Jackson-lists-schools-after-huge-outing-33978741
http://247sports.com/Player/Frank-Jackson-42989

UtahsMrSports
01-13-2015, 09:25 PM

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson

A recruiting class of Jackson, Haley, and one or two of these guys would be one of the best in the country. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But who would have thought we would land the 2014 class that we did?

UtahsMrSports
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
With so much drama with football and the basketball team's success, I really haven't taken a look at hoops recruiting in a while. This thread got me going again.

Next years roster:
Sr:
Jordan Loveridge
Jeremy Olsen
Brandon Taylor
Dakari Tucker

Jr:
Kenneth Ogbe
Chris Reyes

Soph:
Isaiah Wright
Kyle Kuzma
Brekkott Chapman
Gabe Bealer

Freshman:
Brandon Miller
Makol Mawien

This is making the assumptions that Jakob makes the jump (fairly high probability), Brandon Miller returns (no idea), and Noah Togiai picks football and/or chooses to play elsewhere (not a clue in the world). Unless I am mistaken, this gives us one more spot to fill. We desperately need a center. otherwise, we have good depth.

With Parker Van Dyke scheduled to return for 2016, we will need at least 3 more spots filled in 2016. This will be fun to follow.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Larry and Co has had success with the late signees. Looking over this thread, we had not heard anything about Poeltl or Reyes until late february of last year. And that is our starting frontcourt. And not even Tony Jones had reported on those guys until then. No doubt Larry has some irons in the fire that will only be revealed in time.

SeattleUte
01-14-2015, 12:46 AM
I'm not so sure Jakob is going.

LA Ute
01-14-2015, 07:12 AM
I'm not so sure Jakob is going.

Krysko noted on the coach's show Monday night that Poeltl still doesn't play well with his back to the basket. Will he learn that skill more quickly in the NBA, or would another year of Larry tutelage and some weight-lifting serve him better? That's part of the decision he'll have to make.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Krysko noted on the coach's show Monday night that Poeltl still doesn't play well with his back to the basket. Will he learn that skill more quickly in the NBA, or would another year of Larry tutelage and some weight-lifting serve him better? That's part of the decision he'll have to make.

I think one thing is for sure. I think he will absolutely declare after this year, if for nothing else than to get evaluated (sidenote: remember when that bozo from Brazil, Jonathan Tavernari or something put his name in the ring to get an evaluation? LOL!) . As of right now, he is moving up draft boards, and that is undeniable. I think a lack of a post up game would put him in the same boat as 95% of prospects.

I think it will be fun to see how this plays out. Is the additional year of seasoning worth the risk of injury (especially when nba scouts/front office folks would just as soon let you develop in the Dleague in their system against higher level competition)? But then, I really think Larry could do wonders for this kid with another year, but then on the other hand, there won't be a Delon Wright to feed him the ball next year. Understanding all of the counter arguments, my money says he jumps after this year.

I actually dont think that we can lose long term here. If he stays, awesome. I am much, much more comfortable with out big rotation with him. If he leaves, what a recruiting leg up we would have.....(you know, we just had two of our guys drafted in the first round byu/usu/pac-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona hasn't had a ton of success getting guys there....).

Finally, kudos to anyone who saw this coming. I certainly did not. I expected him to play the Kova role this year if anything. What a nice surprise.

concerned
01-14-2015, 08:10 AM
I think one thing is for sure. I think he will absolutely declare after this year, if for nothing else than to get evaluated (sidenote: remember when that bozo from Brazil, Jonathan Tavernari or something put his name in the ring to get an evaluation? LOL!) . As of right now, he is moving up draft boards, and that is undeniable. I think a lack of a post up game would put him in the same boat as 95% of prospects.

I think it will be fun to see how this plays out. Is the additional year of seasoning worth the risk of injury (especially when nba scouts/front office folks would just as soon let you develop in the Dleague in their system against higher level competition)? But then, I really think Larry could do wonders for this kid with another year, but then on the other hand, there won't be a Delon Wright to feed him the ball next year. Understanding all of the counter arguments, my money says he jumps after this year.

I actually dont think that we can lose long term here. If he stays, awesome. I am much, much more comfortable with out big rotation with him. If he leaves, what a recruiting leg up we would have.....(you know, we just had two of our guys drafted in the first round byu/usu/pac-12 school not named UCLA or Arizona hasn't had a ton of success getting guys there....).

Finally, kudos to anyone who saw this coming. I certainly did not. I expected him to play the Kova role this year if anything. What a nice surprise.

And of course the big reason he might declare: to get out of his rookie contract and to a big money contract a year earlier.

P.S. Does anybody other than Tim Duncan play with his back to the basket anymore? Poeltl doesnt seem much worse than Kanter at No. 3, but there are a lot of bigs ahead of him in the draft this year.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
And of course the big reason he might declare: to get out of his rookie contract and to a big money contract a year earlier.

P.S. Does anybody other than Tim Duncan play with his back to the basket anymore? Poeltl doesnt seem much worse than Kanter at No. 3, but there are a lot of bigs ahead of him in the draft this year.

Not enough people realize this. The real money in the NBA is on the second and third contract. And for the reason you listed above is the main reason I think Poeltl will leave after this year. It is far better to find the right situation then it is to be a top choice. Assuming that finding the right situation is equally likely in any draft year (crapshoot), if I were in his shoes, it would be awfully tough to pass up the NBA if I am a top 20 pick to see if I can slide up a few measely slots the next year, risking injury while im not being paid the whole time.

As for back to the basket players, there are a handful still. But not sure it is as big a factor as in past days.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2015, 09:13 AM

The others are...

and Jayce Johnson

I ran into a guy in my ward at Costco over the weekend and he mentioned that he noticed Larry and a couple of his staff at the Palo Verde/Bishop Gorman game and asked if I knew who they were interested in. Thanks for the info. I'll have to start paying attention.

EDIT: I just remembered that this guy mentioned that Brandon Miller is his nephew.

LA Ute
01-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Just ran across this:

Hi I'm Brandon Miller (http://www.mormon.org/me/bwyx)

I was born in Utah. I'll play basketball for the University of Utah when I get home from my mission. I'm a Mormon.

When does Miller return and join the team? Fall 2015?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Just ran across this:

Ha. I just ran across that as well. And then I read this DesNews article (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865559961/Utah-Utes-basketball-Brandon-Miller-commits.html?pg=all) about when Brandon committed in 2012.

“I can’t wait to get there and be part of the rebuilding process,” said Miller. “It’s going to be real exciting and something I don’t want to miss out on.”

Oops. Sorry Brandon. We started without you.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
When does Miller return and join the team? Fall 2015?

That seems to be the case LA. I'm pretty sure Brandon left on his mission trip early Fall 2013.

#1 Utefan
01-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Not enough people realize this. The real money in the NBA is on the second and third contract. And for the reason you listed above is the main reason I think Poeltl will leave after this year. It is far better to find the right situation then it is to be a top choice. Assuming that finding the right situation is equally likely in any draft year (crapshoot), if I were in his shoes, it would be awfully tough to pass up the NBA if I am a top 20 pick to see if I can slide up a few measely slots the next year, risking injury while im not being paid the whole time.

As for back to the basket players, there are a handful still. But not sure it is as big a factor as in past days.

Poetl is not ready for the NBA. He isn't going to improve his game or back to the basket game sitting on a bench somewhere. If he does declare, he will likely spend 1-2 years shuffling back and forth from the D-league.

If his goal is solely to earn a paycheck as quickly as possible, than I agree he may declare this year. I don't think he would be a lottery pick this year like many pundits are saying, though. Didn't he say he also wanted to get an education? He could have already gone pro in Europe if his only goal was to collect a paycheck.

I am not saying he will stay 3-4 years. I think he will come back next year and go pro after that and be better for it. There is a big difference in $$ between being a lottery pick or 20-30 which is where I think he would go if he declares this year.

The 2nd and 3rd contract thing is overblown. You only get those if you excel with your rookie contract which he is more likely to do improving his strength and game one more year in college.

concerned
01-14-2015, 10:45 AM
The 2nd and 3rd contract thing is overblown. You only get those if you excel with your rookie contract which he is more likely to do improving his strength and game one more year in college.

Really? Look at what Gordon Hayward Favors and Burks got. Lets see what Kanter gets on his second contract, esp. with the salary cap going up. He hasnt really excelled. I suspect it is going to be a lot more than the Jazz will pay.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Poetl is not ready for the NBA. He isn't going to improve his game or back to the basket game sitting on a bench somewhere. If he does declare, he will likely spend 1-2 years shuffling back and forth from the D-league.

If his goal is solely to earn a paycheck as quickly as possible, than I agree he may declare this year. I don't think he would be a lottery pick this year like many pundits are saying, though. Didn't he say he also wanted to get an education? He could have already gone pro in Europe if his only goal was to collect a paycheck.

I am not saying he will stay 3-4 years. I think he will come back next year and go pro after that and be better for it. There is a big difference in $$ between being a lottery pick or 20-30 which is where I think he would go if he declares this year.

I completely disagree. But, we will see!

Applejack
01-14-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree with Concerned that if your goal is to maximize your pay, you should declare as soon as you know you will be a first rounder. I'm just hoping that Jakob values things like friendship, camaraderie, pageantry, teamwork, and education above filthy lucre.

UtahsMrSports
01-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Oregon st recently offered Togiai in football. If they steal him, ill be......reallyfrustrated!

LA Ute
01-17-2015, 02:56 PM
I agree with Concerned that if your goal is to maximize your pay, you should declare as soon as you know you will be a first rounder. I'm just hoping that Jakob values things like friendship, camaraderie, pageantry, teamwork, and education above filthy lucre.

Maybe he'll convert to Mormonism and a spiritual prompting (or a persuasive girlfriend) will keep him in SLC.

FountainOfUte
01-20-2015, 05:08 PM
So, what's the deal with Noah Togiai? At what point does Krystkowiak move on from him? Or, has he already?

I know with recruiting we're dealing with the minds and whims of teenagers. But it's still a surprise to me when some kid gets an offer, goes all over social media with it (like Noah did) then seems to do a 180 when it comes time to put their name on the dotted line.

This is a sincere question: Do we still want this kid, or did he simply give LK a door to walk out of to go recruit a better player?

LA Ute
01-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Noah may have grades issues.

sancho
01-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Do we still want this kid

I still want him, and I want him on a football scholarship.

And who cares about grades? What are the rules on grades anyway?

chrisrenrut
01-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Oregon st recently offered Togiai in football. If they steal him, ill be......reallyfrustrated!

Are you Phil Cullen, or just using his keyboard?

UtahsMrSports
01-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Quick update (ill try to actually use the spacebar, this time, lol)

Here is an updated list of the top 60 for 2016. Ute targets Frank Jackson checks in at #31 and Zack Collins at 52. Collins will be here for an official visit next month.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

With 6'7 PG Jermaine Haley also in the mix, the summer of 2015 is going to be a really fun one for Ute fans, similar to 2013.

As I mentioned over on the football recruiting thread, looks like Noah T is down to us and Oregon State with offers to play both sports at both schools. He would be a football scholarship, eliminating any scholarship crunch. I really like this kid and hope he picks us.

mUUser
01-23-2015, 08:20 AM
I've seen #1 & #4 play. Monk is a leap ahead of anything Utah is looking at. Guessing one and done if he gets his D in order.

Jackson doesn't have an offer from Utah? Can't believe that's accurate. Best Utah HS player in his class.....by far. Probably best player since....?????

#29's daddy beat up on us pretty good in my day.

#36 to Harvard? Awesome.

FountainOfUte
02-05-2015, 11:51 AM
So now that Togiai is officially out of the plans, what happens next? I guess since our scholie count was already full, maybe nothing happens?

Anyone know what the top 2016 targets are looking like? I assume a center has to be our top priority since we lose Bach, and keeping Poeltl for one more year is probably the best we can hope for. We'd lose Olsen next year, too.

"Calling all 7-footers with badass skills. Utah needs you!"

Scratch
02-05-2015, 11:55 AM
So now that Togiai is officially out of the plans, what happens next? I guess since our scholie count was already full, maybe nothing happens?

Anyone know what the top 2016 targets are looking like? I assume a center has to be our top priority since we lose Bach, and keeping Poeltl for one more year is probably the best we can hope for. We'd lose Olsen next year, too.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but my sense is that while LK is happy to use guys like JakPot and Bach when he has them, he'd also be comfortable with a lineup where Makol Mawein (or a similar player) is the biggest guy on the court.

FountainOfUte
02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah, somewhere along the way I've heard him talk about liking that kind of flexibility. But it still seems like any team with championship aspirations (which I think we are now) should have a true center or two on the roster.

UtahsMrSports
02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

I think there will be a transfer or two. My uneducated guess would be ogbe and olsen, but that is based on nothing more than conjecture. But they both seem to genuinely love being on this team. No doubt the staff is busy, hard at work trying to prepare if such a thing happens.

It was about this time last year that we first heard the names of Chris Reyes and Jakob Poeltl, and at the time, we were full for 2014-2015.

FountainOfUte
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
I think there will be a transfer or two. My uneducated guess would be ogbe and olsen, but that is based on nothing more than conjecture. But they both seem to genuinely love being on this team. No doubt the staff is busy, hard at work trying to prepare if such a thing happens.

It was about this time last year that we first heard the names of Chris Reyes and Jakob Poeltl, and at the time, we were full for 2014-2015.

I have no inside info either, but I'm wondering why Olsen would go? At this point, he's married, he's about a 23 yr-old junior as an RM, probably wrapping up his degree he's spent his whole time at the U earning. He has zero NBA potential. But he's a decent big. Probably a perma-backup. But why go start over somewhere else at this point. Even as a non-starter he'll probably play big minutes next year unless Mawien is better than expected. Everything I've heard is that Mawien is talented but very raw. That doesn't sound like a Frosh who'll be first up off the bench after Jakob. But who knows.

As for Ogbe, I don't know why I'd be unusually disappointed if he left. I guess I have an affinity for these guys who took a chance on Utah early before LK had shown any inkling of what Utah could become. Frankly, he's good, but probably not the key to a Final Four for us. But otherwise, I hope he stays with us. I don't see him as a detriment to the teams progression and depth by any means. But I think his injury has been a disappointment to all involved, obviously. He had a couple really nice games before the injury where he had added some aggression to the hoop in addition to his 3-pt shooting game.

UtahsMrSports
02-05-2015, 02:05 PM
I have no inside info either, but I'm wondering why Olsen would go? At this point, he's married, he's about a 23 yr-old junior as an RM, probably wrapping up his degree he's spent his whole time at the U earning. He has zero NBA potential. But he's a decent big. Probably a perma-backup. But why go start over somewhere else at this point. Even as a non-starter he'll probably play big minutes next year unless Mawien is better than expected. Everything I've heard is that Mawien is talented but very raw. That doesn't sound like a Frosh who'll be first up off the bench after Jakob. But who knows.

As for Ogbe, I don't know why I'd be unusually disappointed if he left. I guess I have an affinity for these guys who took a chance on Utah early before LK had shown any inkling of what Utah could become. Frankly, he's good, but probably not the key to a Final Four for us. But otherwise, I hope he stays with us. I don't see him as a detriment to the teams progression and depth by any means. But I think his injury has been a disappointment to all involved, obviously. He had a couple really nice games before the injury where he had added some aggression to the hoop in addition to his 3-pt shooting game.

I think I agree on Olsen. I just look down the roster and see him as second likeliest. Even if Jakob stays, I imagine he will stick around. And I feel the exact same about Ogbe.

UBlender
02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Olsen's role will almost certainly be bigger next year--he could almost be starter by default if Jakob were to enter the draft. I am not one that makes the argument that Olsen will/should leave the team but when I see the argument made it is usually that he'd likely just be done with basketball rather than transfer to another school. He's married, he's much older than his teammates, he's been in school four years. If he has a degree, he may just hang it up and move on with life--at least that's what some speculate.

FountainOfUte
02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Olsen's role will almost certainly be bigger next year--he could almost be starter by default if Jakob were to enter the draft. I am not one that makes the argument that Olsen will/should leave the team but when I see the argument made it is usually that he'd likely just be done with basketball rather than transfer to another school. He's married, he's much older than his teammates, he's been in school four years. If he has a degree, he may just hang it up and move on with life--at least that's what some speculate.

Agreed. I think it comes down to something as simple as: is he still having fun? All the training, practice, and everything else takes a lot of time from a student. On one hand, maybe the fun has run its course and it's time to move on. On the other hand how often do you get to play D1 college ball? If it were me, I'd soak up every minute of eligibly before I begin my inevitable retirement role of church ball ringer.

Utebiquitous
02-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Blender,
Building on your point - does Olsen want to put in the work? I don't think he has put in the work you'd expect from a sophomore to a junior. Expecting him to improve from a junior to a senior doesn't make a lot of sense given the track record. He has some limitations but I'm disappointed he hasn't worked on his body and fitness to the point of maximizing that potential. I maintain he could be much stronger in the low post - as a scorer and as a rebounder. I had hoped that marriage might drive Olsen and Bachynski to work harder on their games but it hasn't. They certainly aren't worse but they aren't better.

I'd love to see a much greater off-season commitment from Olsen. I still think he can get better - just haven't seen it.

Diehard Ute
02-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Blender,
Building on your point - does Olsen want to put in the work? I don't think he has put in the work you'd expect from a sophomore to a junior. Expecting him to improve from a junior to a senior doesn't make a lot of sense given the track record. He has some limitations but I'm disappointed he hasn't worked on his body and fitness to the point of maximizing that potential. I maintain he could be much stronger in the low post - as a scorer and as a rebounder. I had hoped that marriage might drive Olsen and Bachynski to work harder on their games but it hasn't. They certainly aren't worse but they aren't better.

I'd love to see a much greater off-season commitment from Olsen. I still think he can get better - just haven't seen it.

Didn't Olsen have an injury which kept him from being able to really train most of last off season?

LA Ute
02-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Didn't Olsen have an injury which kept him from being able to really train most of last off season?

That might help explain why he looks as skinny and soft as he did when he was fresh off his mission, but he's had two summers now to change that. Just makes me wonder what he's been doing.

Old Standing ute
02-05-2015, 03:59 PM

Ogbe & Poeltl are best friends--obviously they speak the same language--so not great for keeping Jakob around if Kenneth transfers. I don't think he will get forced out for that & other reasons.

Diehard Ute
02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
That might help explain why he looks as skinny and soft as he did when he was fresh off his mission, but he's had two summers now to change that. Just makes me wonder what he's been doing.

Pretty sure he's been hurt both summers.

If I'm remembering right he has a hip and back issue that flare up. But this is all from memory and I am getting old.

#1 Utefan
02-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Why would Ogbe or Olsen transfer? At a minimum, Olsen will get Bach's minutes next year and Ogbe was playing a decent amount of minutes before his injury. Unless for some unforeseen reason they are nudged out (which I don't gave any reason to believe would happen), they will both be back next year.

UtahsMrSports
02-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Why would Ogbe or Olsen transfer? At a minimum, Olsen will get Bach's minutes next year and Ogbe was playing a decent amount of minutes before his injury. Unless for some unforeseen reason they are nudged out (which I don't gave any reason to believe would happen), they will both be back next year.

As Ive clearly said a few times now, i went through the roster from top to bottom and picked the two that from my very outside perspective seemed like the most logical to me. If this is the first year in a longgggggggggg time that there is no transfers, Id be thrilled. Just last year, no one on the outside of the program saw Onwas leaving and he did. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It happens. But again, I hope Im wrong.

justaute
02-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Decided to watch Mawien's videos again. IMO, he (and maybe Bealer) will be the most physically explosive athletes on the team; that's (quick-twitch muscle) not the most important trait of an athlete, it sure is nice to have. We definitely need more athletes like them against the higher caliber teams -- assuming other facets of their game are also developed. It's a constant balancing of what's-between-the-ears and physicality.

UTEopia
02-08-2015, 06:57 AM
As Ive clearly said a few times now, i went through the roster from top to bottom and picked the two that from my very outside perspective seemed like the most logical to me. If this is the first year in a longgggggggggg time that there is no transfers, Id be thrilled. Just last year, no one on the outside of the program saw Onwas leaving and he did. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It happens. But again, I hope Im wrong.

I agree that those two are the most likely. I also hope that neither leaves. Based on his pre-injury performance I was hoping that Ogbe would work himself into the position to replace Delon next year. It doesn't look like he is anywhere close to being able to do that as things stand right now. JO has been an integral part of the transformation of Utah basketball and I would like to see him finish things out at Utah. With Bach leaving, I think he can step into those minutes.

I have not seen any rumors about additional 2015 recruits, so it appears the staff is not anticipating anyone leaving.

Mormon Red Death
02-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Apparently they're is a 6'10" finnish player who is coached by hanno Mottola. St Johns, unc and gonzaga are asher him
http://zagsblog.com/articles/recruiting-rundown-nba-scouts-turn-out-to-watch-talent-at-basketball-borders/

Utah
02-15-2015, 09:54 PM
So, we are all sure Kuzma is staying? There have been rumors that he was considering leaving. But, since this all started floating around, his minutes have gone up.

As for getting paid, Poeltl will go late first round, if he goes this year (barring a huge tourney performance). If he wen't 20-ish, he would get a 4 year, 7 million dollar deal. Let's say he maxes out his next contract. Then he signs a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. Those two deals would end when he was 28-ish and total approx 70 million. It would set him up for one more max deal.

If he stayed one year, and went top 5, he'd get a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal. Then a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. He would be 29-ish and would still be eligible for one more max deal. Those two contracts would total approx 80 million dollars.

So, if he thinks he can be a top 5 player, then staying would get him 10 million more, and not diminish future money.

UtahsMrSports
02-16-2015, 12:04 AM
So, we are all sure Kuzma is staying? There have been rumors that he was considering leaving. But, since this all started floating around, his minutes have gone up.

As for getting paid, Poeltl will go late first round, if he goes this year (barring a huge tourney performance). If he wen't 20-ish, he would get a 4 year, 7 million dollar deal. Let's say he maxes out his next contract. Then he signs a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. Those two deals would end when he was 28-ish and total approx 70 million. It would set him up for one more max deal.

If he stayed one year, and went top 5, he'd get a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal. Then a 4 year, 63 million dollar deal. He would be 29-ish and would still be eligible for one more max deal. Those two contracts would total approx 80 million dollars.

So, if he thinks he can be a top 5 player, then staying would get him 10 million more, and not diminish future money.

Kuzma used a redshirt last year; hed have to really hate it here to want to leave.

UTEopia
02-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Larry has a tough time keeping everyone content with their minutes. Last night, Loveridge only got 18 minutes. Delon and Taylor always get their minutes, with Ogbe and Isaiah Wright picking up the leftovers. Reyes, Chapman and Kuzma seem to split 40 minutes each night. The centers split 40. Loveridge and Dakari split 40.

LA Ute
02-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Larry has a tough time keeping everyone content with their minutes. Last night, Loveridge only got 18 minutes. Delon and Taylor always get their minutes, with Ogbe and Isaiah Wright picking up the leftovers. Reyes, Chapman and Kuzma seem to split 40 minutes each night. The centers split 40. Loveridge and Dakari split 40.

I noticed Loveridge came out last night right after committing a bad turnover. I sort of lost track of him after that.

Old Standing ute
02-16-2015, 02:13 PM
I noticed Loveridge came out last night right after committing a bad turnover. I sort of lost track of him after that.

He also gotten beaten 3 straight times by Bird--who is a good but not great player. After the last one he sat for the rest of the game.
Ogbe got 2 quick fouls in 1st half & was done. I Wright played 2nd half. He had a hard time with Wallace.

Tucker has really improved. If he could finish with his left hand--he never tries, he would hit the next level. His D & rebounding are much better.

UtahsMrSports
02-23-2015, 10:35 AM
anyone who is bored during their lunch break can check out future Ute Makol Mawien going up against Davis in the state tournament @ 11:10 Mountain.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765668908/Live-stream-5A-boys-basketball-tournament-first-round.html

U-Ute
02-27-2015, 10:44 AM
The Arizona/ASU thread puts Frank Jackson in the arena for the ASU game.

Could the Utes be picking up some more interest here? Especially as they have shown they are for real this season?

LA Ute
02-27-2015, 10:50 AM
The Arizona/ASU thread puts Frank Jackson in the arena for the ASU game.

Could the Utes be picking up some more interest here? Especially as they have shown they are for real this season?

I don't want to fuel speculation but I have heard from people connected to the family that he's moved Utah up on his list. FWIW.

concerned
02-27-2015, 10:55 AM
I don't want to fuel speculation but I have heard from people connected to the family that he's moved Utah up on his list. FWIW.

He was wearing red, FWIW (not much).

Scratch
02-27-2015, 11:08 AM
He was wearing red, FWIW (not much).

Then he's clearly not interested ion the Utes, given it was a blackout game.

SoCalPat
02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Who's this four-star kid that's verballed with ASU out of American Fork and what's his story with Utah?

UtahsMrSports
02-27-2015, 11:21 AM
2016 has the potential to be an even better recruiting class than 2014. Frank Jackson would be a HUGE get for us.

concerned
02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Then he's clearly not interested ion the Utes, given it was a blackout game.

he was in red and black. He was game appropriate.

UtahsMrSports
02-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Who's this four-star kid that's verballed with ASU out of American Fork and what's his story with Utah?

Brendan Bailey, son of Thurl. We offered him, but I never heard much after that (no tweets saying "Larry K is here to see Brendan Bailey!" so not sure if he ever had a committable offer or not.

SoCalPat
02-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Brendan Bailey, son of Thurl. We offered him, but I never heard much after that (no tweets saying "Larry K is here to see Brendan Bailey!" so not sure if he ever had a committable offer or not.

He is a 2016 grad, so there's 8 months before he can sign his LOI. I know we've got space -- he'll be a frosh the year after Loveridge, Tucker, Olsen and Taylor leave.

concerned
02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
He is a 2016 grad, so there's 8 months before he can sign his LOI. I know we've got space -- he'll be a frosh the year after Loveridge, Tucker, Olsen and Taylor leave.

I thought Bailey verballed to ASU because neither the u or the Y were that interested, but I could be wrong.

311ute
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I saw Frank Jackson, Yoeli Childs and Makol Mawien at the game Saturday. I also think that sitting next to Frank was Christian PoPoola... although I'm not sure of that, but it did look like him.

FountainOfUte
03-03-2015, 12:19 PM

He has an older sister who is some sort of athlete at ASU (volleyball, or something). I think that played into his decision somewhat. Thurl was on local radio and DJ/PK asked him about his son's ASU committment. He said he left it all up to his son. Wanted his son to make the choice. He told about how the son was down visiting his sister and surprised the family and ASU with his verbal weekend. That was about six weeks ago.

Hot Lunch
03-03-2015, 01:51 PM

Brendan Bailey, Thurl's son. He is awful. I have seen him play in person about 7 times the last couple of years.

Hot Lunch
03-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I saw Frank Jackson, Yoeli Childs and Makol Mawien at the game Saturday. I also think that sitting next to Frank was Christian PoPoola... although I'm not sure of that, but it did look like him.

It wasn't PoPoola with Frank at the game. It was Frank's shooting coach who has become a good friend of the Jackson family. I hope Utah recruits PoPoola. He is good athlete and a long guard. Pop already has offers from Unlv and a couple of other schools. I sat with and assistant coach from SDSU during the LP vs. AF game and he was there to see Pop. They love him. That coach told me Stanford really likes Pop as well.

sancho
03-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I hope Utah recruits PoPoola.

He's class of 2017? I'm sure Utah will recruit him. He'll get his P5 offers in time.

Hot Lunch
03-03-2015, 10:52 PM
He's class of 2017? I'm sure Utah will recruit him. He'll get his P5 offers in time.

He is a 2017 kid. He will get his p5 offers. Would love to see him as a ute. Kid can ball.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Zach Collins committed to the Zags today.

sancho
03-16-2015, 07:34 PM

"I'm just so excited to beat Pacific by 60 points."

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-16-2015, 11:57 PM

Boo. WCC. The conference of meaty centers with no athleticism.

sancho
03-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Boo. WCC. The conference of meaty centers with no athleticism.

Have you seen Xavier's center? BYU will feel right at home against that guy. I don't know how St Mary's missed that guy.

UtahsMrSports
03-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Thats a bummer.

I fully expect recruiting buzz to pick up in the summer, as 2016 will need to be a big class for us. It has been oddly quiet though this year. Im hoping this means that transfers will be non existant, or very minimal.

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Frank Jackson lists Utah on his list.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186662/frank-jackson

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 04:28 PM
This is an interesting grid:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
First item on his to do list should be "cross BYU, asu, and Stanford off the list."

"Watch my teams in NCAA tournament"

NorthwestUteFan
03-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Frank Jackson lists Utah on his list.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186662/frank-jackson

I think he decommitted from byu last year. Landing him would be a big deal.

UTEopia
03-22-2015, 07:33 AM
This is an interesting grid:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

I'll play. Who is Shawntez Davis and are the Utes still recruiting him?

U-Ute
03-22-2015, 08:22 AM
I'll play. Who is Shawntez Davis and are the Utes still recruiting him?

I was hoping I wasn't the only one in the dark on that one.

311ute
04-07-2015, 03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yGMOF-T8sY

Here's someone to keep an eye on... Andy Van Vliet out of Belgium. Apparently he's visiting Utah, Miami, St. Mary's and Wazzu. 2015 recruit.

Initially I thought he was probably "Poeltl Insurance", but after watching film he's a perimeter big. Definitely more of a 4 than a 5. Very skilled, a nice stroke, but VERY skinny. Kid looks like a player though.

Assuming we want him even if Poeltl stays, you'd gotta think JO would be the odd man out. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

311ute
04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Why wouldn't Reyes or Ogbe be the odd man out? They seem unlikely to contribute much, and we would free up a scholarship for more than just one year.

I WANT A REBOUNDER! Not a skinny Belgian.

Yeah I'm just speculating... who knows who the "odd man out" would be if we over sign again this year.

If you want a rebounder/defender, we'll have Makol and Reyes next year. Brekott and this Belgian look like more of the skilled/finesse type 4s.

BTW, I'm very high on Mawien... I think he'll be better than people expect. I think he'll contribute next year.

UtahsMrSports
04-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah I'm just speculating... who knows who the "odd man out" would be if we over sign again this year.

If you want a rebounder/defender, we'll have Makol and Reyes next year. Brekott and this Belgian look like more of the skilled/finesse type 4s.

BTW, I'm very high on Mawien... I think he'll be better than people expect. I think he'll contribute next year.

Cant wait to see what he can bring. He didn't have a great last year of high school, but his supporting cast was awful. I dont think he had anyone to give him the ball.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Dave Rice somehow managed to get a Zimmerman commit earlier this evening. Kentucky was pushing hard for him, yet Rice was able to somehow convince him to stay in this nickel slot town. Now if he could only recruit his recruits to play team ball.

Utah
04-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Dave Rice somehow managed to get a Zimmerman commit earlier this evening. Kentucky was pushing hard for him, yet Rice was able to somehow convince him to stay in this nickel slot town. Now if he could only recruit his recruits to play team ball.

I saw a tweet earlier tonight that said "no one has done less with more in this country the Dave Rice."

Ha ha.

SoCalPat
04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Looks like Larry has a Poeltl contingency plan in a 7'0" JC transfer named Conor Clifford.

Saddleback was California JUCO state champs, which arguably makes them the best JUCO in the country. Cliifford averaged 14.7 PPG, 6.2 RPG and 1.1 BPG, but here's the stat that jumps out at me -- he averaged just 22.5 MPG while shooting 71 percent from the line and 63 percent from the field. Signed with UC Irvine out of HS, which is really my only concern. Did he improve that much or is his ceiling dominating lesser leagues?

EDIT: His pops ate up what was said about his kid on the UCI message board, so he's probably scouting this board as well. Also reported that Wazzu is really big on him, and that he has an official planned to South Carolina. He'll get good PT at Wazzu and I don't know much about South Carolina other than they were mediocre last year and terrible the two years before under Frank Martin -- owner of the hottest seat in the SEC. If Poeltl declares, I'll readjust my thinking on being an NIT team if we land Clifford.

#1 Utefan
04-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Saddleback was California JUCO state champs, which arguably makes them the best JUCO in the country. Cliifford averaged 14.7 PPG, 6.2 RPG and 1.1 BPG, but here's the stat that jumps out at me -- he averaged just 22.5 MPG while shooting 71 percent from the line and 63 percent from the field. Signed with UC Irvine out of HS, which is really my only concern. Did he improve that much or is his ceiling dominating lesser leagues?

EDIT: His pops ate up what was said about his kid on the UCI message board, so he's probably scouting this board as well. Also reported that Wazzu is really big on him, and that he has an official planned to South Carolina. He'll get good PT at Wazzu and I don't know much about South Carolina other than they were mediocre last year and terrible the two years before under Frank Martin -- owner of the hottest seat in the SEC. If Poeltl declares, I'll readjust my thinking on being an NIT team if we land Clifford.

He is definitely a big body and has to be fairly good averaging almost 15ppg and 7rbs. in only 22.5 minutes per game. Seems like he would be an excellent backup if Poetl returns and the likely starter the year after as I think Poetl only stays one more year tops.

Is the fact this kid is being recruited a sign Poetl is leaning towards declaring or that Olsen may not be planning on returning for his senior year? Either way, a guy with size like that don't grow on trees and he would get a lot of minutes ala Bachynski this past year given Poetl's struggles with foul trouble and staying in games.

SoCalPat
04-18-2015, 10:16 AM
I don't think stats are very meaningful for jc big men. Anyone 6'7" or bigger with a pulse puts up big numbers. But I trust our coaches to do the best they can if a replacement is needed.

That's simply not true. Often times, big men are forgotten in JUCO offenses because tempo is greater and you'll often play without a true center on the floor. If anything, stats are very meaningful for JC bigs because so many of them get D-1 offers anyway with very modest stats. Clifford stands out in this regard, and that he did it in a high-caliber league for a team that's arguably the best in the country (California JUCOs aren't part of the NJCAA) is impressive.

SoCalPat
04-18-2015, 10:19 AM
He is definitely a big body and has to be fairly good averaging almost 15ppg and 7rbs. in only 22.5 minutes per game. Seems like he would be an excellent backup if Poetl returns and the likely starter the year after as I think Poetl only stays one more year tops.

Is the fact this kid is being recruited a sign Poetl is leaning towards declaring or that Olsen may not be planning on returning for his senior year? Either way, a guy with size like that don't grow on trees and he would get a lot of minutes ala Bachynski this past year given Poetl's struggles with foul trouble and staying in games.

He's not going to come here to be a backup to Poeltl if he can get starter's minutes at Wazzu, which is pretty much a lock. (EDIT: I say this because Irvine had a pretty impressive logjam of bigs for a Big West school. The 7-6 Ndjiaye opted not to declare, and there's a 7-2 kid that was part of Clifford's class that got good minutes, as well as a 6-10 senior that was part of the rotation. Clifford left Irvine -- which made the Tournament this year -- to eventually earn starter's minutes elsewhere. I feel pretty confident he'll only be at Utah if Poeltl declares.)

Utah
04-20-2015, 08:02 AM
In case you missed it, Coach K just received a committ from one of the top big men in the country. Some are saying he could be a top 5-10 pick in next year's draft.

Jakob Poeltl is coming back!!!

311ute
04-23-2015, 12:44 PM
First, I'm sure most of you saw this, but it looks like Duke is going to offer Frank Jackson:
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-in-full-pursuit-of-Frank-Jackson-36913081

While I'd like to remain optimistic, I always thought that if Duke were to offer he'd be a Blue Devil. 247's "crystal ball" has an even 33% chance between us, Duke and Arizona.

Second, it looks like Conor Clifford will decide between us and Wazzu:
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board/44/Contents/Conor-Clifford-note--36927955

I was wondering if he was strictly a contingency plan for Poeltl, or if we would take him regardless. If we land him I'd have to think that JO is gone.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2015, 01:10 PM
First, I'm sure most of you saw this, but it looks like Duke is going to offer Frank Jackson:
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-in-full-pursuit-of-Frank-Jackson-36913081

While I'd like to remain optimistic, I always thought that if Duke were to offer he'd be a Blue Devil. 247's "crystal ball" has an even 33% chance between us, Duke and Arizona.

Second, it looks like Conor Clifford will decide between us and Wazzu:
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board/44/Contents/Conor-Clifford-note--36927955

I was wondering if he was strictly a contingency plan for Poeltl, or if we would take him regardless. If we land him I'd have to think that JO is gone.

Is this Clifford kid an upgrade over JO? I honestly have no idea.

311ute
04-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Is this Clifford kid an upgrade over JO? I honestly have no idea.

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen any film on him. Went to UC-Irvine for a year, transferred to a JC and put up really good numbers on a good team. Certainly is a big body, at 7-0, 265.

Has anyone been able to find film on him?

UtahsMrSports
04-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Had heard that Clifford was to make his decision yesterday. Any news on that front? Hadn't heard. With Jakob coming back, I assume he will choose elsewhere, but I suppose that him committing would at very least make things interesting.

concerned
04-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Had heard that Clifford was to make his decision yesterday. Any news on that front? Hadn't heard. With Jakob coming back, I assume he will choose elsewhere, but I suppose that him committing would at very least make things interesting.

you got me curious, so I googled and found this

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-basketball/2015/4/25/8497703/conor-clifford-recruiting-washington-state-cougars-utah-south-carolina

311ute
04-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Goon just retweeted that Clifford is going to Wazzu.

The more I thought about it the more I wanted JO to stay and be our back-up 5 as opposed to us landing this kid and having JO move on.

I wasn't super impressed in the limited film I saw on Clifford, and I think JO can be an adequate back-up. Plus, JO's a great kid and has given a lot to this program and I'd love to see him finish off his career here with a successful senior year (much like Bach).

Clifford may end up being a really good player, but as it stands now I'm not too bummed we didn't land the kid. I'm also curious as to how much we were really pursuing him after Poeltl decided to stay.

And if he wanted PT he definitely made the right decision.

U-Ute
04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Frank Jackson talks about the visit by Arizona coaches.

http://pointguardu.com/2016-frank-jackson-talks-arizona/

DrumNFeather
04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Frank Jackson talks about the visit by Arizona coaches.

http://pointguardu.com/2016-frank-jackson-talks-arizona/
Also received an offer from Maryland today.

LA Ute
04-28-2015, 06:37 PM

SoCalPat
04-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Really? Four screenshots of CB posts?

LA Ute
04-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Really? Four screenshots of CB posts?

It was all one graphic and I lacked the know-how to break it up. (FTR, I didn't go to CB to get it -- I found it on UF.net.) It's funny, I think.

DrumNFeather
04-29-2015, 06:27 AM
I didn't know Roger Reid posted on CB.

U-Ute
04-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Kyle Goon reports on a trip Frank took the U...

via: https://twitter.com/kylegoon

The Jacksons went on an unofficial visit to Utah yesterday, Al called the staff "well-prepared." Larry K had sheets of notes on Frank.

Al Jackson said Larry K had detailed notes on how he thinks Frank Jackson could improve, what he wants to help him develop.

Al Jackson: "That's no small thing. Larry's seen Frank a lot. It means a lot to see a coaching staff that can highlight those things."

Frank Jackson also toured the basketball facility construction site. Said Al Jackson: "There's some cool things going on up there."

Frank Jackson's big factors in his college decision: quality people in the program, development for the NBA, and a good education.

Al Jackson said Frank is "rock solid" to go on a mission in 2016. Said it could help him adjust if he decides to go far away for school.

BYU is not out of the running by a long shot. Al Jackson is very pleased with how Dave Rose handled Frank opening up recruiting.

Al Jackson: "Dave Rose has been great. He encouraged Frank to look around, and he has handled it the right way."