PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

UtahsMrSports
02-18-2016, 10:56 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1642564-turkish-star-wants-to-play-college-ball?s=365

Heres another prospect to keep an eye on. I wonder how much that area of the world (middle east and surrounding areas) is an untapped well of talent right now.....

justaute
02-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Who is Braian Angola-Rodas?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

UtahsMrSports
02-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Who is Braian Angola-Rodas?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

6'6 point guard from college of northern idaho. Hed be a terrific get if we can land him. What does your link say about him? Hard to read on mobile for me.

sancho
02-27-2016, 07:23 PM
6'6 point guard from college of northern idaho. Hed be a terrific get if we can land him. What does your link say about him? Hard to read on mobile for me.

It says less than you just did. Just a list of names.

justaute
02-27-2016, 08:39 PM
The link doesn't offer anything other than his name. It was my first time seeing his name. Just googled him and apparently USU offered, but purportedly Utah and Oregon are his two top options.

UtahsMrSports
03-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I stopped by and watched some of the high school tournament games up at the JMHC. Larry was in to watch the Bingham-American Fork game. I think he was there to watch Samuta Avea of Bingham.

I also caught some of the Lone Peak-Copper Hills game. Frank Jackson is a talent. He got to the basket at will against double and triple teams. He finished at a ridiculous rate. He found teammates on kick outs at appropriate times. I hear he can shoot but the two long range bombs he shot while I was watching were atrocious.

There is a kid on copper hills whose name is Stockton Shorts.

U-Ute
03-04-2016, 09:39 AM
There is a kid on copper hills whose name is Stockton Shorts.

Charlie Olson on Copper Hills was our neighbor for about 8 years. Alas, we moved away about 10 years ago, but we still live in the area and talk to the family often. Stockton is a good kid. His full name is Stockton Malone Shorts. His parents did name him after the Jazz players as they are huge Jazz fans, but they weren't made aware of the "Shorts" connection until recently.

He's a good kid. He takes it all in stride.

UtahsMrSports
03-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Charlie Olson on Copper Hills was our neighbor for about 8 years. Alas, we moved away about 10 years ago, but we still live in the area and talk to the family often. Stockton is a good kid. His full name is Stockton Malone Shorts. His parents did name him after the Jazz players as they are huge Jazz fans, but they weren't made aware of the "Shorts" connection until recently.

I imagine its the same concept as "a boy named sue"........youve gotta take it all in stride, or life will be very very hard.

redastheycome
03-04-2016, 10:31 AM

Growing up, my parents knew a guy named Jim Shorts. No joke. Great guy, good sense of humor - perhaps a result of the crap he surely took as a kid.

jrj84105
03-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Growing up, my parents knew a guy named Jim Shorts. No joke. Great guy, good sense of humor - perhaps a result of the crap he surely took as a kid.

I had a neighbor whose name was King Self. He bought part of another neighbor's property, built a monstrous addition that he litigated past the historic society's objections, and in the process blocked the natural the drainage of the entire block causing extensive flood damage to most of his neighbors, myself included, that spring. I fully blame his dumbass parents.

UtahsMrSports
03-06-2016, 10:53 PM
A few folks reporting that weve offered 2016 wing matt chastain from illinois. He has a few d2 offers, so im guessing this is to walk on.

justaute
03-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Per Chastain's twitter account, he has received "...scholarship offers" from Utah and Utah State.

A few folks reporting that weve offered 2016 wing matt chastain from illinois. He has a few d2 offers, so im guessing this is to walk on.

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Per Chastain's twitter account, he has received "...scholarship offers" from Utah and Utah State.

Very interesting. Already possibly oversigned by 1, we are still going after Chastain and Angola-Rodas. Transfers are inevitable at any program I guess. Once the season ends, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2016, 09:31 AM

A 6'6 wing? Sounds like Stephen Weigh to me! :)

SoCalPat
03-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Very interesting. Already possibly oversigned by 1, we are still going after Chastain and Angola-Rodas. Transfers are inevitable at any program I guess. Once the season ends, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

The problem with figuring out next year's roster is that we're in dire need of 3-point shooters, and the three most likely guys not to be with us next year are all capable in this regard.

Parker Van Dyke shot 33 percent from 3 in limited minutes as a true. But where does he play? He's not a true point, and he's not going to take minutes from Bonam or Ogbe at the 2.

Isaiah Wright is a lifetime 35 percent shooter from 3. That said, given our recruiting targets -- none of which include a true PG -- it looks like he'll be back next year.

We all know what Ogbe can do. If he's healthy, he's our starting 2 next year. But we can't have another wasted year from him like we did this year.

concerned
03-07-2016, 10:12 AM
The problem with figuring out next year's roster is that we're in dire need of 3-point shooters, and the three most likely guys not to be with us next year are all capable in this regard.

Parker Van Dyke shot 33 percent from 3 in limited minutes as a true. But where does he play? He's not a true point, and he's not going to take minutes from Bonam or Ogbe at the 2.

Isaiah Wright is a lifetime 35 percent shooter from 3. That said, given our recruiting targets -- none of which include a true PG -- it looks like he'll be back next year.

We all know what Ogbe can do. If he's healthy, he's our starting 2 next year. But we can't have another wasted year from him like we did this year.

Does the fact that we are pursuing Chastain say that we do not expect Ogbe back?

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 10:16 AM

PVD wasn't quick enough in his one year he played. Maybe that can be changed but I'm not optimistic.

I've heard Taylor say Bealer has the best stroke on the team. So if he can learn to play D, he could be the shooter we need.

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 10:24 AM

What has happened to Wright? He has 6 DNP-CD over the last little while and has seen his role reduced to mop up duty in garbage time or as a foul trouble player. Its to the point where the coaches have been playing Tucker at the 2 when Bonam or Taylor need a break. His playing time will be something to keep an eye on through this postseason, youd think rotations would shrink further in a tournament setting. He is one guy ill be watching to see what happens.

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 10:26 AM
A 6'6 wing? Sounds like Stephen Weigh to me! :)

A Stephen Weigh reference! Awesome!

jrj84105
03-07-2016, 11:05 AM
We played LeRoy a few times when I was a kid, but they were a division below (- strike that, they were in the same division just in a conference of the smallest schools). It's pretty rare for a kid from the area to earn a D1 offer and virtually unheard of to get offered by a major program. It would be so weird to go home and hear all the old codgers talking non-stop about Utah basketball, which is what would happen if a local kid was getting playing time.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Didn't he go on to have a solid Australian career?

EDIT: Indeed. Played for 8 years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Weigh

FountainOfUte
03-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Didn't he go on to have a solid Australian career?

EDIT: Indeed. Played for 8 years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Weigh

His unexpected departure was one of the first blows to the Boylen era. Jim's time as coach was packed full of "what ifs." Add it to the pile of "What if Marshal Henderson could have gotten his act together as a Ute?" and "What if Carlon Brown could have been a leader and stayed?"

I guess as I sit here and stare down the barrel at a 2016 Runnin' Ute team that finished second in the PAC-12, is going to put one of its players in the NBA for the second year in a row, probably going to get a 4-seed or higher in the NCAA tournament, I have to be more than content with where we are and not shed tears over the Boylen era. But still, I can't help but think how amazingly low our program got in that period and that any negative thing that could happen, did happen.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2016, 12:49 PM
His unexpected departure was one of the first blows to the Boylen era. Jim's time as coach was packed full of "what ifs." Add it to the pile of "What if Marshal Henderson could have gotten his act together as a Ute?" and "What if Carlon Brown could have been a leader and stayed?"

I guess as I sit here and stare down the barrel at a 2016 Runnin' Ute team that finished second in the PAC-12, is going to put one of its players in the NBA for the second year in a row, probably going to get a 4-seed or higher in the NCAA tournament, I have to be more than content with where we are and not shed tears over the Boylen era. But still, I can't help but think how amazingly low our program got in that period and that any negative thing that could happen, did happen.

I think he was also the one that Boylen was talking about (get ready for DNF to try to recall a quote that is probably nowhere near what it actually was) when he said that foreign players are tough to have in your program because they are soft and get homesick easier.

LA Ute
03-07-2016, 12:59 PM
I think he was also the one that Boylen was talking about (get ready for DNF to try to recall a quote that is probably nowhere near what it actually was) when he said that foreign players are tough to have in your program because they are soft and get homesick easier.

Yeah, like that Poeltl kid.

UBlender
03-07-2016, 01:23 PM

I thought Weigh was going to be great. I remember him going for like 30 at UNLV as a freshman. It was an uneven freshman season (Giac's last year, IIRC). Then it just didn't seem to click with Boylen. He had a sprained ankle that kept him out for a while, he got a really weird haircut that made him look like my mom in the late 80s and he seemed to have lost all of his confidence. Then he just up and left in the middle of the season.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
I thought Weigh was going to be great. I remember him going for like 30 at UNLV as a freshman. It was an uneven freshman season (Giac's last year, IIRC). Then it just didn't seem to click with Boylen. He had a sprained ankle that kept him out for a while, he got a really weird haircut that made him look like my mom in the late 80s and he seemed to have lost all of his confidence. Then he just up and left in the middle of the season.

I suspect Marshall didn't invite him to any of the parties.

UBlender
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Getting back on topic a little bit, I have a few thoughts on this Chastain offer. First is that it seems like a strange offer given that the kid has a bunch of D2 offers and all of a sudden both Utah and Utah State offer a kid out of rural Illinois? And if all of that is accurate how does he not commit to Utah on the spot? Something seems a little off.

Does this offer tell us anything regarding the future of Ogbe or anyone else? I don't think so, at least not anything new. Utah already has offers out to two other wings in Braian Angola Rodas and Jordan Bowden, both wing players. It is pretty clear Utah needs help on the wing, needs shooters and may also just be looking for an overall talent upgrade to cash in on its consecutive excellent seasons.

I continue to feel like the only returning players that I am confident will be Utes next year are Bonam, Kuzma and Chapman. Of course we will also have the guys currently sitting out and the others that signed in November. There are major questions on the wing: Can Ogbe actually play? Can Bealer figure out defense and the mental part of the game? Can Chapman or Kuzma play the 3? Who does Utah have that will provide a consistent three point threat next year? It's obvious why Utah is looking for wing help and I don't know that it necessarily reflects specifically on any one player.

For example, Ogbe could be back but if he is he may be starting at 2 alongside Bonam (particularly early before Barefield is eligible). Utah needs a SF and shooters (preferably a SF who can do it all, including shoot) but there are lots of different ways this can go.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Getting back on topic a little bit, I have a few thoughts on this Chastain offer. First is that it seems like a strange offer given that the kid has a bunch of D2 offers and all of a sudden both Utah and Utah State offer a kid out of rural Illinois? And if all of that is accurate how does he not commit to Utah on the spot? Something seems a little off.

Does this offer tell us anything regarding the future of Ogbe or anyone else? I don't think so, at least not anything new. Utah already has offers out to two other wings in Braian Angola Rodas and Jordan Bowden, both wing players. It is pretty clear Utah needs help on the wing, needs shooters and may also just be looking for an overall talent upgrade to cash in on its consecutive excellent seasons.

I continue to feel like the only returning players that I am confident will be Utes next year are Bonam, Kuzma and Chapman. Of course we will also have the guys currently sitting out and the others that signed in November. There are major questions on the wing: Can Ogbe actually play? Can Bealer figure out defense and the mental part of the game? Can Chapman or Kuzma play the 3? Who does Utah have that will provide a consistent three point threat next year? It's obvious why Utah is looking for wing help and I don't know that it necessarily reflects specifically on any one player.

For example, Ogbe could be back but if he is he may be starting at 2 alongside Bonam (particularly early before Barefield is eligible). Utah needs a SF and shooters (preferably a SF who can do it all, including shoot) but there are lots of different ways this can go.

My biggest concern is inside. We already know Reyes can't replace Poeltl, and we haven't seen Mawein, so we can only assume that he would have had less of an impact than Reyes. So we're depending on a kid who transferred under strange circumstances (Collette) or a freshman (Johnson).

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 02:11 PM

I love Chapman at the 3. I think he can maximize his diverse skill set and also keep out of foul trouble a bit better there. Kid can also shoot.

311ute
03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
I love Chapman at the 3. I think he can maximize his diverse skill set and also keep out of foul trouble a bit better there. Kid can also shoot.

I'd love to see Chap at the 3 next year. I wouldn't mind a starting lineup of: Bonam, Ogbe, Chapman, Kuz, Johnson to start the year. Lots of length and versatility. Could play man-to-man and switch most everything, or play a pretty effective zone with the length.

I wish Collette and Barefield could go right away. I imagine those two will play a major role in our rotation once they're eligible (if not start).

Agree with what UBlender said... great post. Lots of question marks heading into the off-season and into next year. I REALLY hope Ogbe can get back healthy, and I hope we can land one or two of these guard/wings we're after. We're going to need some shooters, which is why I like what I've seen from that Chastain kid. And I hope Zamora can recover from injury quickly and get healthy ASAP. We can't have Kuz shoot in the teens from 3 next year. He needs to get up to 33%. If he can he'll be all-conference.

Crazy when you think of the turnover from this year to next. Like has been said, it's possible that we only return 3 players who saw time this year. There's plenty of talent there, but we could be one of the greenest teams in the conference. A little scary to think about. And why I'm just trying to enjoy this season for the time being.

Scratch
03-07-2016, 03:26 PM
My biggest concern is inside. We already know Reyes can't replace Poeltl, and we haven't seen Mawein, so we can only assume that he would have had less of an impact than Reyes. So we're depending on a kid who transferred under strange circumstances (Collette) or a freshman (Johnson).

Interesting, I'm not terribly worried about our front line. We may not have any superstars, but I feel very good about a rotation involving Johnson, Kuz, Chapman, Colette, and Mawien (with Reyes as a nice insurance policy).

sancho
03-07-2016, 03:29 PM
We can't have Kuz shoot in the teens from 3 next year. He needs to get up to 33%. If he can he'll be all-conference.

I don't think he's going to get there. I think his time this offseason would be better spent on free throws and post play. Those are realistic improvements that would help us a lot.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2016, 03:41 PM
I don't think he's going to get there. I think his time this offseason would be better spent on free throws and post play. Those are realistic improvements that would help us a lot.

And monster dunks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justaute
03-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Only if there are no defenders around the rim. haha

And monster dunks!

311ute
03-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Agree those would help, but I think having a 4 that can hit a 3 really opens things up for the entire offense. Tommy C talked about this after the Arizona game, mentioning how we need our 4's to start hitting some outside shots to prevent defenses from clogging up the middle so much.

Applejack
03-08-2016, 08:08 AM
The only sure things next year are Bonam, Kuz, and Chapman. For those that don't like Chapman at the 3, I ask "Who do you like better?" Chapman is starting next year.

As for Kuzma shooting threes, it would be wonderful, but so would Chris Reyes learning to jump or PVD learning the point: not going to happen.

chrisrenrut
03-08-2016, 08:11 AM
The only sure things next year are Bonam, Kuz, and Chapman. For those that don't like Chapman at the 3, I ask "Who do you like better?" Chapman is starting next year.

As for Kuzma shooting threes, it would be wonderful, but so would Chris Reyes learning to jump or PVD learning the point: not going to happen.

Could be worse. We could be hoping to develop Kuzma at the point, PVD to jump, and Reyes to shoot threes.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2016, 08:15 AM

I think it's also important to have four year guys and not have guys, especially local guys, wash out of the program. That in and of itself isn't a reason to keep Chapman around, but he has shown flashes this year where he's starting to get it. I think we could see a significant leap for him going from an underclassmen to an upperclassmen.

Rocker Ute
03-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Chapman will figure it out. My primary concern is his ability to put on some lbs.

UBlender
03-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Chapman will figure it out. My primary concern is his ability to put on some lbs.

Which is exactly why I personally feel like his future is at the 3 as long as he can stay in front of opposing wings somewhat. He can shoot, is an underrated passer and has some nifty skills--I think he can handle the 3 just fine on offense.

U-Ute
03-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Could be worse. We could be hoping to develop Kuzma at the point, PVD to jump, and Reyes to shoot threes.

Jesus man. Kids read this board.

NorthwestUteFan
03-08-2016, 09:59 AM
This is reason number 4,739,102 for athletes to hate their fans.

chrisrenrut
03-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Literal LOL!

:confused:

NorthwestUteFan
03-08-2016, 10:54 AM
:confused:

It would be hard to have fans criticizing everything. Reading about their lack of abilities on a fan board would be disheartening.

chrisrenrut
03-08-2016, 11:01 AM
It would be hard to have fans criticizing everything. Reading about their lack of abilities on a fan board would be disheartening.

One would hope they understand humor and sarcasm. I doubt very much Kuzma would cry in his pillow for having his point guard skills criticized.

U-Ute
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM

I dunno. Players are realistic about their abilities. They have to be in order to play on a team that is as efficient as a Division 1 basketball team where role definition is paramount. I would bet Reyes would get a laugh out of us poking fun at him shooting 3's.

That being said, I've never questioned his effort. I could see that as a topic that would set them off.

EDIT: Also, I would guess that he could be at any of us in a game of HORSE. When I poke fun, I'm talking about playing in a D1 basketball game.

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 09:17 PM

I have to admit that when Kuzma went up with that three point shot at the end, I said "oh no" quite loudly. So glad he proved me wrong.

justaute
03-16-2016, 08:18 PM
It seems Utah offered Parker Stewart, a 6'5" guard. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/parker-stewart

U-Ute
03-17-2016, 09:39 AM
It seems Utah offered Parker Stewart, a 6'5" guard. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/parker-stewart

Uh. Very underwhelming highlight video. He seems awfully slow and unathletic.

Does the 6'5" include the afro?

UTEopia
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM

I agree.

justaute
03-17-2016, 03:18 PM
haha...but one with a fro.

We could have two slow, unathletic Parkers!

justaute
03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
On a serious note, I do wonder how difficult it is to recruit at Utah, notwithstanding our recent run of success.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 03:24 PM
On a serious note, I do wonder how difficult it is to recruit at Utah, notwithstanding our recent run of success.

In talking to coaches in more than one sport the hardest part is getting recruits interested

Most of the coaches say once we can get a kid to visit we have a decent shot, but getting them to visit can be tough

Other schools certainly don't shy away from telling kids why they shouldn't come here (and I've heard some players talk about how their friends back home were the biggest hurdle)

Like it or not Utah had a stereotype and reputation. The only way to truly overcome that, IMO, is to have a kid see the place in person.

Applejack
03-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Does the 6'5" include the afro?

I agree.

I didn't think it was that bad. It's a higlight video so we can't tell anything, but it appears he has decent handles and a good feel for the game. I like the idea of a 6''5' pg.

And we finally beat out someone that had a USC offer!

U-Ute
03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
I didn't think it was that bad. It's a higlight video so we can't tell anything, but it appears he has decent handles and a good feel for the game. I like the idea of a 6''5' pg.

But a highlight video is supposed to set unrealistically high expectations. Maybe this video is showing his every day game (which includes an intro shot of banking in a 3).

NorthwestUteFan
03-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Like it or not Utah had a stereotype and reputation. The only way to truly overcome that, IMO, is to have a kid see the place in person.

We also need to stop playing byu to get that stench off.

Applejack
03-17-2016, 04:28 PM
We also need to stop playing byu to get that stench off.

LOL. Yes, that is the reason it's tough to recruit to Utah: everyone thinks we play our rival!

LA Ute
03-17-2016, 04:37 PM

And we finally beat out someone that had a USC offer!

He also can go either left or right with ease, it seems, which isn't that common among HS players.

NorthwestUteFan
03-17-2016, 05:40 PM
LOL. Yes, that is the reason it's tough to recruit to Utah: everyone thinks we play our rival!

no, everybody thinks we ARE them.

DrumNFeather
03-23-2016, 08:15 AM
We are mentioned as one of the teams in the mix for this 6'11 5 Star Turkish big man: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1654088-evaluation-of-five-star-center-omer-yurtseven

But a lot of other teams are as well.

LA Ute
03-23-2016, 08:24 AM
no, everybody thinks we ARE them.

Lol. True, in the past. But changing rapidly, it seems, after the PAC-12 happened.

UtahsMrSports
03-24-2016, 01:20 PM
We are in the top 3 of slcc big man tyler rawson, along with usu and oregon st. Seems to be a good rebounder, shot blocker, and three point shooter.

By my count, we are recruiting two international guys, two juco guys, at least one high school kid and one transfer for the 2016 class.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-24-2016, 01:43 PM
We are in the top 3 of slcc big man tyler rawson, along with usu and oregon st. Seems to be a good rebounder, shot blocker, and three point shooter.

By my count, we are recruiting two international guys, two juco guys, at least one high school kid and one transfer for the 2016 class.

Wouldn't even have to break his lease. That's worth something!

Utebiquitous
03-24-2016, 03:32 PM
I just watched a few highlights of Rawson. His shooting and passing really stand out. He has a really nice outside shot, good base and release. It sure looks like he can play both the 4 and 5. I couldn't get a sense of his defense out on the floor - shows a good sense of timing on blocked shots.

SoCalPat might be able to give us a better sense of how the SWAC was this season but in my past affiliation with the league it was one of the most competitive in junior college. Obviously, winning a national title is a big deal as well. Toolson and Rawson were the unquestioned leaders on the team this season.

UBlender
03-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Seems strange that Utah is after so many big men. I would think that between Kuzma, Collette and Johnson the minutes at the 4 and 5 are pretty well locked up (once Collette can play, that is). It seems like Utah's real need is at guard and on the wing. I realize we have some of these committed but they don't seem as likely to make a high impact next year as the bigs that are coming in).

UtahsMrSports
03-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Alright, let's see how well I've been paying attention:

Two international guys - the Turk and the Spaniard (both big men)
Two JUCOs - northern Idaho PG and SLCC big man
High School - small forward from the midwest
Transfer - the guy from New Mexico?

Get the man a cigar!

UtahsMrSports
03-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Seems strange that Utah is after so many big men. I would think that between Kuzma, Collette and Johnson the minutes at the 4 and 5 are pretty well locked up (once Collette can play, that is). It seems like Utah's real need is at guard and on the wing. I realize we have some of these committed but they don't seem as likely to make a high impact next year as the bigs that are coming in).

I find this odd as well. But we will need the depth.

UtahsMrSports
03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Well, we are looking at 4 guys but are probably hoping to land just one. The Turk seems to have been offered by a ton of good programs. I'm not holding my breath. A bunch of schools are interested in the New Mexico transfer.

I wonder if some cuts will happen if certain players are landed. Lots of things to be juggling this time of year.

Speaking of transfers, i wouldnt be surprised if we hear sometime soon. Im sure guys will want to be on their way.

Mormon Red Death
03-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, we are looking at 4 guys but are probably hoping to land just one. The Turk seems to have been offered by a ton of good programs. I'm not holding my breath. A bunch of schools are interested in the New Mexico transfer.
Seems we offered tyler rawson from slcc

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Seems we offered tyler rawson from slcc

Tyler Rawson just committed. (He's humble and hungry.)

snafu
03-28-2016, 03:31 PM
I count 15 as well. Unless someone plays as a non-scholarship player. Odds are pretty good that someone is leaving though.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Collette will be a non scholatship next year. Still, means a transfer of some sort.

This commitment will really help us hold down the fort until DC can play. Really nice pickup.

LA Ute
03-28-2016, 04:40 PM
From Rawson's bio on the SLCC site:

"Favorite Sports Memory: Jimmer's Senior Year,"

:blink:

Two Utes
03-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Collette will be a non scholatship next year. Still, means a transfer of some sort.

This commitment will really help us hold down the fort until DC can play. Really nice pickup.

Collette will NOT be non scholarship. He is easiy the best post on this team. Utah shall be losing some players to make room for Rawson and Collette.

I follow this all a bit closer than most of you. Utah swooped in to get Rawson because they need a stretch 4. None of the other guys (and there are a lot of them now) shoot it well enough from the 3. Brekott did as a frosh but didn't as a sophomore and he's undersized for a 4/5 in the Pac 12.

SeattleUte
03-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Fortunately, we have a JUCO expert in our community--SCP (seriously; he actually follows it closely and nailed predicting DW's impact). I'll be interested in his assessment of Rawson.

Two Utes
03-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Fortunately, we have a JUCO expert in our community--SCP (seriously; he actually follows it closely and nailed predicting DW's impact). I'll be interested in his assessment of Rawson.

I think he also said Bealer was going to be all-world as well. But you are right, SCP has good knowledge in the juco realm

Two Utes
03-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Collette will NOT be non scholarship. He is easiy the best post on this team. Utah shall be losing some players to make room for Rawson and Collette.

I follow this all a bit closer than most of you. Utah swooped in to get Rawson because they need a stretch 4. None of the other guys (and there are a lot of them now) shoot it well enough from the 3. Brekott did as a frosh but didn't as a sophomore and he's undersized for a 4/5 in the Pac 12.

FrOm Kyle Goon:

Rawson said Utah coaches have told him he'll be competing for time at the 4-spot, looking to rebound and stretch the floor more.

0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

I came up with the original post before I even read Goon's tweet. Even a blind squirrel . . .

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2016, 05:18 PM

everything ive read says collette has to pay his own way in 16-17. Id love to be proven wrong if you have anything.

snafu
03-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I can see Reyes moving on but what rationale do you have for Mawien leaving? We haven't seen him play yet. Seems like several guys would be more likely to move on than Mawien.

Two Utes
03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
everything ive read says collette has to pay his own way in 16-17. Id love to be proven wrong if you have anything.

He can be on scholarship beginning the winter semester--meaning he has to pay his own way this winter and next fall. He's not rich, he's married and he needs the income from the scholarship. I will bet anybody here $100 he gets a schollie starting winter semester.

Scratch
03-28-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Colette has to pay his own way next year because USU refused to release him, so he's ineligible for a scholarship for a year, and my understanding is you can't get a scholarship mid-year, so the earliest he could even get a scholarship would be fall 2017. I could be mistaken, but that's what I heard.

LA Ute
03-28-2016, 05:30 PM
After reading the DesNews article I am not sure how excited to be about Rawson:

The forward helped SLCC bring home the NJCAA Division I national championship this season, as the Bruins beat Hutchinson College in the junior college title game on March 19. Rawson had a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds in the championship game and was named to the all-tournament team.During his lone season in the SLCC program, Rawson averaged a team-high 15.9 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

In his lone season with Southern Utah in 2014-15, Rawson played in 29 games and started twice. He was second on the Thunderbirds' team in points per game (7.4) and rebounds per game (4.1) while finishing with a team-high 35 blocked shots.

His senior season at American Fork, Rawson averaged 13.1 points, 8.2 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals per game. He also helped the Cavemen reach the state semifinals in back-to-back years and was a Deseret News first-team All-Stater his senior year in 2013-14.

Rawson was a three-star recruit coming out of high school, according to Rivals.

Rawson will join a pair of other big men who will play their first season with the Utah program next year. David Collette, at 6-8 and a Murray native, transferred from Utah State and sat out last season due to NCAA rules, while 7-footer Jayce Johnson will play for the Utes (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/utah-utes) in 2016-17 after graduating from high school early and practicing with Utah through much of last season. He's a four-star recruit.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865651035/American-Fork-native-SLCC-forward-Tyler-Rawson-commits-to-Utah-basketball-program.html?pg=all

concerned
03-28-2016, 05:44 PM
After reading the DesNews article I am not sure how excited to be about Rawson:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865651035/American-Fork-native-SLCC-forward-Tyler-Rawson-commits-to-Utah-basketball-program.html?pg=all

He is just there to be a better backup than Reyes. Can't imagine he can't do that.

LA Ute
03-28-2016, 05:51 PM
He is just there to be a better backup than Reyes. Can't imagine he can't do that.

Fair enough. But who's backing up whom?

Scorcho
03-28-2016, 08:55 PM
what is Utah's ceiling with Krysko? We found out with Majerus that the ceiling for Utah basketball with Rick was the final 4. I don't think Larry's ceiling is that high. Maybe I'm wrong, but Larry seems like the type that will get Utah to the tourney 3 out of every 5 years and one of those year he'll make it to the sweet 16.

I am good with that.

LA Ute
03-28-2016, 11:21 PM
How they saw it in Oregon:

Tyler Rawson, Oregon State Beavers priority target, commits to Utah Utes basketball

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/03/tyler_rawson_oregon_state_beav.html

LA Ute
03-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Better article than the DesNews piece on Rawson:

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3714968-155/utah-basketball-slcc-big-man-tyler

Since the Utah coaches were talking to him about walking on and are now offering him a scholie, I think we can assume he's a backup unless he blossoms in a very surprising way.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Better article than the DesNews piece on Rawson:

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3714968-155/utah-basketball-slcc-big-man-tyler

Since the Utah coaches were talking to him about walking on and are now offering him a scholie, I think we can assume he's a backup unless he blossoms in a very surprising way.

Maybe a rich man's Renan Lenz? A nice depth piece that can really have a nice game from time to time?

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Ok, so we are known to be after Braian Angola-Ross, Matt Chastain, Eric Vila, and I have seen us linked to Rivals150 Alpha Diallo.

There is that kid from Turkey, but according to Jerry Meyer from 247 sports, there is a big question mark with him right now about eligibility and whether or not its been compromised. Even if thats not an issue, we are a long shot.

With Rawson on board, we may no longer be in the game for Vila.

Utebiquitous
03-29-2016, 12:50 AM
Take a minute and watch some highlights on Rawson. This isn't a serviceable backup to Kuzma, he'll be a significant rotation player. Regardless of the level of competition, two things jump out immediately: he really shoots well and I'm talking about his feet, form and release and he is athletic. I better add a third, he passes well. I love this commitment.

Diehard Ute
03-29-2016, 01:07 AM
Take a minute and watch some highlights on Rawson. This isn't a serviceable backup to Kuzma, he'll be a significant rotation player. Regardless of the level of competition, two things jump out immediately: he really shoots well and I'm talking about his feet, form and release and he is athletic. I better add a third, he passes well. I love this commitment.

He had a positive assist to turnover ratio (100 to 71 or something like that) and shot 36.5% from 3 and 77% from the foul line.

He provides the shooter we've lacked from the front court position

UtahsMrSports
03-29-2016, 08:08 AM
According to @trendbasket, Larry Brett Krystkowiak will meet in turkey with that big 5 star center this week.....i think.

Can anyone find this and run it through google translate for us? I cant right now. Utebuntu reteeeted it if youre looking.

snafu
03-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Whatever happened to Josh Conley? Is he still in play or has that ship sailed?

Applejack
03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
If Reyes is on the team next year I might cry.

UtahsMrSports
03-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Whatever happened to Josh Conley? Is he still in play or has that ship sailed?

Ship sailed, i think.

SoCalPat
03-29-2016, 12:59 PM
I think he also said Bealer was going to be all-world as well. But you are right, SCP has good knowledge in the juco realm

Appreciate the kudos, but the Rawson signing underscores how little exposure I have now to the JUCO game. 5-6 years ago, when I was a fixture at the NJCAA national tournament, I could've offered more insight, and possibly before anyone else. Assistant coaches love to talk to media. They think it's good prep for their eventual HC position they're gonna land. And while Twin Falls is a great JUCO town, I haven't seen CSI play in three years.

That said, I like the signing. We need 3-point shooters, and Rawson appears to fit the bill as a stretch 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see him increase his 85 3PAs next year. The championship game was played in the most hostile surrounding Rawson's ever experienced, and he rose to the occasion. That he signed out of Southern Utah out of HS was initially a tap-the-brakes moment for me, but I've always advocated that good competition makes you better, and this was a good year for the SWAC -- SLCC was national champs, but finished third in their league and was closer to 5th (in a six-team league) than they were first.

Rawson should be good for 20 MPG next year, averaging 6-8 PPG and 4-5 RPG. He clearly has the height to play some 5, and if he can defend on the perimeter against some longer 3s, he could see even more floor time. Between Johnson and Collette, it's safe to say Chris Reyes' days are numbered if he aspires to play meaningful minutes next year. Barring injury, there won't be any for him.

My track record, for the record, is as such: I totally missed on Reyes. I drove that hype wagon off a cliff. I was excited about Bealer because of the similarities to Delon and time in the program before this year, but clearly he's underwhelmed someone on the staff. Conversely, my expectations for Bonam were low, but that's balanced with my gold standard of predictions with Delon. Jay Watkins was another one I pegged pretty good -- too bad injuries derailed his career. Unfortunately for the program, I've been pretty spot-on with our JUCO misses -- guys like Antonio DiMaria, Cedric Martina and Dijon Farr were never anyone to get excited about, and they largely met my underwhelming expectations.

U-Ute
03-29-2016, 01:05 PM
I can see Reyes moving on but what rationale do you have for Mawien leaving? We haven't seen him play yet. Seems like several guys would be more likely to move on than Mawien.

I think you answered your own question there. If he was capable of contributing, we would've seen him last year. As it is, we played an undersized try-hard guy who shot 25% from point-blank behind Poeltl.

LA Ute
03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Larry is "overseas" today, and it is pretty clear he is seeing the Turkish guy. (Maybe the Spaniard -- Silva?) I like his willingness to recruit in pretty heavy traffic.

Also, I happened to listen to the Riley show today for a few minutes and he interviewed Rawson. The more I learn about that kid the more he seems like a possible late bloomer. He has added height and weight since high school, when he had only 200 pounds on a 6'9" frame. He is now 6'10" and weighs 225, and hopes to be up to 235 or 240 by the time next season begins. He has worked hard on his shooting and says he is comfortable anywhere from 15 feet to three point range. So he might be a pretty good pick up after all. 'Biq once again is ahead of the curve.

Applejack
03-29-2016, 01:31 PM
My track record, for the record, is as such: I totally missed on Reyes. I drove that hype wagon off a cliff. I was excited about Bealer because of the similarities to Delon and time in the program before this year, but clearly he's underwhelmed someone on the staff. Conversely, my expectations for Bonam were low, but that's balanced with my gold standard of predictions with Delon. Jay Watkins was another one I pegged pretty good -- too bad injuries derailed his career. Unfortunately for the program, I've been pretty spot-on with our JUCO misses -- guys like Antonio DiMaria, Cedric Martina and Dijon Farr were never anyone to get excited about, and they largely met my underwhelming expectations.

I liked Cedric Martin. Good defender, could shoot the 3 somewhat. I think he would have been a great rotation player for last year's team.

Looking at your predictions (and I know less than nothing about JUCOs) it seems you are living on the prescient Delon pick. I'll give you credit there: a JUCO from San Fran will be the 20th pick in the NBA draft? Crazy.

snafu
03-29-2016, 01:56 PM
I think you answered your own question there. If he was capable of contributing, we would've seen him last year. As it is, we played an undersized try-hard guy who shot 25% from point-blank behind Poeltl.

Fair point. I guess I am coming from the perspective that most guys are simply not ready for the college jump as true's. Case in point, Kyle Kuzma. It's taken him a couple of years but he now appears to be ready for prime time next year after making solid progress this year. Mawien was a high level prospect coming out of HS. I guess anything can happen though.

FountainOfUte
03-30-2016, 01:14 PM
Fair point. I guess I am coming from the perspective that most guys are simply not ready for the college jump as true's. Case in point, Kyle Kuzma. It's taken him a couple of years but he now appears to be ready for prime time next year after making solid progress this year. Mawien was a high level prospect coming out of HS. I guess anything can happen though.

I'm with you. It's WAY too early to throw the towel in on Mawien. He'll just start playing this year and he probably won't bloom for another season or two. This was in his scouting report as a high school player. He'll be fine. Freshman contributors are the exception, not the rule. Especially at Utah.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Is there any reason Jakob hasn't announced yet?

DrumNFeather
03-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Unfinished business! :rockon:

U-Ute
03-30-2016, 02:02 PM
When we go big next season:

PG - Rodas 6'6"
SG - Kuzma 6'9"
SF - Chapman 6'9"
PF - Mika 6'10"
C - Poeltl 7'0"

:eek:

Applejack
03-30-2016, 03:06 PM

He doesn't have to declare until May 25th. He can go to the NBA draft combine in Chicago AND THEN decide to pull out. They changed the rules this year. Let's hope he gets pummeled in Chicago.

snafu
03-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Interesting read about current Utah target, Matt Chastain. Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20160311/SPORTS/160319842 (http://www.pjstar.com/article/20160311/SPORTS/160319842)

This article implies that Chastain has committed to Utah - anybody hearing anything?

http://www.qconline.com/sports/college_sports/it-s-ok-to-be-the-only-team-with-interest/article_228f5723-6aef-5f21-aa8c-00b7ff3ccce3.html

Here comes the new guy to this list: Matt Chastain, a 6-foot-6 senior from LeRoy, Ill., first team all-state, but it is only Class 1A. Why do I say only 1A? This kid is a ``can’t miss'' prospect; he can shoot it from anywhere on the court and he is extremely athletic and strong. He is going to make some DI program a lot better.
“I come from a small school, so I didn’t think I could play at that level, but Utah saw the talent in me and offered,'' said Chastain. ``Now with my confidence I know I can play anywhere.”
He finished the season averaging 26 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals a game and now joins a Utah team that went 27-9 and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Old Standing ute
03-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Maybe Chastain is the next Ron Baker (Wichita State walk-on).

justaute
03-30-2016, 04:55 PM
Chastain is definitely pretty athletic. He can do dunks that many, if not all, that current Utes can't do. Good dunks take both athleticism and coordination.

UtahsMrSports
03-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Word on chastain is that he is waiting to see if purdue offers. If they do, its over. If they dont, weve got a shot.

LA Ute
03-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Word on chastain is that he is waiting to see if purdue offers. If they do, its over. If they dont, weve got a shot.

Dumb choice.

#1 Utefan
03-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Hmm, I've been to West Lafayette, so I'm assuming he hasn't.

He is from the Midwest. He doesn't know any better.

concerned
04-01-2016, 03:23 PM
who is Chase Bohne? Is that a real a person or an April 1 joke?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/709203240265654272/nEfGabaD_bigger.jpgChase Bohne‏@W_sauce11 (https://twitter.com/W_sauce11)

What a day! Proud to announce that I've verbally committed to play ball for the University of Utah!! #GoUtes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoUtes?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce-5hVUXIAIO672.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-01-2016, 03:30 PM
who is Chase Bohne? Is that a real a person or an April 1 joke?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/709203240265654272/nEfGabaD_bigger.jpgChase Bohne‏@W_sauce11 (https://twitter.com/W_sauce11)

What a day! Proud to announce that I've verbally committed to play ball for the University of Utah!! #GoUtes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoUtes?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce-5hVUXIAIO672.jpg

F this day and anything legitimate happening/get reported on.

Then there's football practice in an hour...

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Matt Chastain to visit on April 18th.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Braian Angola-Rodas is visiting the Cougars.............of the Houston variety, this weekend. So far he has visited Lubbock and Houston with no news of any other scheduled visits or timetable for a decision.

justaute
04-10-2016, 08:18 AM
We lost Markus Howard, a 4* PG, to Marquette. Wonder how hard we recruited him.

Also, apparently we just offered Eric Vila, a 6'9" PF from Spain. His other offers include Oregon, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Wichita State, and Houston. Tough comp.
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1642761-spanish-prospect-eric-vila-weighs-college

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Maybe schools have cooled on him? Or maybe he loves Texas.

This is my thinking. Early on, it seemed like Oregon, Washington, and Utah were all after him pretty hard. So I tend to agree that he either likes Texas or we (and the others) have cooled on him. Since his visits seem to pop up out of nowhere with no fanfare before, maybe he will join Chastain for his visit. :) There was a guy on twitter from 247sports who seemed like he was going to have a write up on the kid coming soon.

We lost Markus Howard, a 4* PG, to Marquette. Wonder how hard we recruited him.

Also, apparently we just offered Eric Vila, a 6'9" PF from Spain. His other offers include Oregon, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Wichita State, and Houston. Tough comp.
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1642761-spanish-prospect-eric-vila-weighs-college

Vila is another one of these prospects that we have not really heard much on. Its possible that Larry paid him a visit while he was across the ocean last week, but haven't heard much.

#1 Utefan
04-10-2016, 05:11 PM
This is my thinking. Early on, it seemed like Oregon, Washington, and Utah were all after him pretty hard. So I tend to agree that he either likes Texas or we (and the others) have cooled on him. Since his visits seem to pop up out of nowhere with no fanfare before, maybe he will join Chastain for his visit. :) There was a guy on twitter from 247sports who seemed like he was going to have a write up on the kid coming soon.

Vila is another one of these prospects that we have not really heard much on. Its possible that Larry paid him a visit while he was across the ocean last week, but haven't heard much.

I just can't get excited about Chastain. I hope there are bigger and better prospects out there like Rodas or one of the Euro players and the staff is,just keeping things quiet.

justaute
04-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Here is a video of dunk contest from Chastain's team. Check-out his dunks. Not bad at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxaB0SsQAo

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Kavell Bigby-Williams committed to Oregon today. He was from Gillette college. Not sure if that helps in our pursuit of BAR or not, as they may be full. Maybe its just wishful thinking. Still, when you say "delon wright with a jumper" thats intriguing...........time will tell.

UtahsMrSports
04-13-2016, 07:25 AM
A very happy signing day to all of you. If we get surprises, may they be in our favor!

UtahsMrSports
04-13-2016, 09:53 AM
If any of you have a 247 subscription, you can go read the article on BAR and tell us if hes visiting here.

U-Ute
04-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Here is a video of dunk contest from Chastain's team. Check-out his dunks. Not bad at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxaB0SsQAo

Kid has some hops.

U-Ute
04-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Rawson must've signed.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/7d3ff985185ed387c989d8e32f54efd9.jpg

Diehard Ute
04-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Rawson must've signed.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/7d3ff985185ed387c989d8e32f54efd9.jpg

Yes. He held a press conference at Noon. Poeltl's sorta diverted attention from it

UtahsMrSports
04-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Austin Montgomery is transferring. Best of luck to him, he sure played hard when he got in.

Matt Chastain visiting at some point here in the next couple of days.

Chris Reyes has visited a few wcc schools.

NorthwestUteFan
04-16-2016, 09:37 AM
I know that is a scary proposition, but isn't Barefield supposed to be very talented? It surely will be nice to have guards who are taller than 6'2". (I have much love for Brandon Taylor, but he was all of 5'10" if you included his hair and measured him wearing lifts in his shoes).

Diehard Ute
04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
I guess so. That's the word from Utah insiders. I'm optimistic. Smu did let him go, though, and he transferred to Utah, so I think there's a bit of room for concern.

There were issues between Barefield and SMU over the way his bronchitis was treated if I remember right.

The postseason ban that they didn't appeal also played a role I believe.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Finally saw an answer to this question. He is visiting Florida state and Washington. I'm guessing he is not a future ute. Our pg eggs are all in the barefield basket.

Those two official visits will make 4. I have no idea if we will be the 5th or not (he sure seems to drool over Oregon in interviews, and they may have a spot for him........) But if he doesn't come here, I am actively cheering for him to go to FSU. This is not a guy we want to see in conference.

Folks saw Matt Chastain at the scrimmage yesterday. I am hoping that we impressed him enough to get a commitment!

UTEopia
04-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Those two official visits will make 4. I have no idea if we will be the 5th or not (he sure seems to drool over Oregon in interviews, and they may have a spot for him........) But if he doesn't come here, I am actively cheering for him to go to FSU. This is not a guy we want to see in conference.

Folks saw Matt Chastain at the scrimmage yesterday. I am hoping that we impressed him enough to get a commitment!

I saw Chastain and he just is not very physically impressive. He was with Cullen and he looked like he was 6'4" not 6'6"

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Most of us probably look two inches shorter next to Phil. The kid can dunk, and we need a small forward.

I saw Utebuntu retweet a guy saying we are in the final four for Milwaukee transfer Austin Arians. 6'6, 200, likely eligible to play right away.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Here is his profile. SF. Three point chucker.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61378/austin-arians

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-17-2016, 02:58 PM
I saw Utebuntu retweet a guy saying we are in the final four for Milwaukee transfer Austin Arians. 6'6, 200, likely eligible to play right away.

Huh. For some reason, I always thought you were Utebuntu.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Some guy on Twitter is claiming that he's already signed with Wake Forest.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Some guy on Twitter is claiming that he's already signed with Wake Forest.

Yep. I wonder how serious we were.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Huh. For some reason, I always thought you were Utebuntu.

Thats awesome! Sadly no....although we are both hoops recruiting nerds.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2016, 04:51 PM
We are in the top 5 for Angola Rodas, per 247sports.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Has visit dates for FSU, Houston, and UW but none for Oregon or Utah.

I know he came to one of our games in february. Not sure if that was official or not.

I have never seen a paywall at 247 before. But seemingly everything abou this kid is behind one.

justaute
04-18-2016, 05:32 PM
What do we know about the Rydalch kid who's about to return from his mission? I know he's a preferred walk-on. Does he have potential to be a contributor?

UtahsMrSports
04-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Angola-Rodas will announce tomorrow. Choosing between Florida St, Houston, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

LA Ute
04-19-2016, 08:58 AM
The fact that this is coming right after his FSU and uw visits feels like bad news to me.

It seems to me that Oregon is the biggest threat to our chances.

With that said, here's my fantasy: tomorrow he announces that he did those last two visits just to be sure, but that Utah was the school he wanted all along! 😉

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

snafu
04-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Awfully quiet on the Chastain front. Not a good sign I guess since he just visited.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-20-2016, 01:38 PM
We are in the top 5 for Angola Rodas, per 247sports.

Picks Florida State.

LA Ute
04-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Picks Florida State.

Guy has no taste.

UtahsMrSports
04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Well, weve gotta fill one more scholarship. Possible Chastain was asked to wait until BAR made his decision, among his other possibilities.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Chastain committed to.....Loyola-chicago. Im going out on a limb and saying he left last week without an offer.

LA Ute
04-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Chastain committed to.....Loyola-chicago. Im going out on a limb and saying he left last week without an offer.

I will join you in your courageous position. 😉

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2016, 04:17 PM
I will join you in your courageous position. 😉

Im the skip bayless of this forum. I take the hard stance on the tough issues to tell people not what they want to hear but what they need to hear.

snafu
04-25-2016, 01:47 PM

Apparently Chastain did have an offer from Utah. If that is true, disappointing would be an understatement.

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2016/04/24/henricksen-loyola-adds-hot-rising-prospect-recruiting-class/

U-Ute
04-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Apparently Chastain did have an offer from Utah. If that is true, disappointing would be an understatement.

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2016/04/24/henricksen-loyola-adds-hot-rising-prospect-recruiting-class/

Locality to home? He's from Peoria.

Rocker Ute
04-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Locality to home? He's from Peoria.

Loyalty to his dance card? They were his first offer...

UtahsMrSports
04-25-2016, 05:57 PM

I believe that he had an "offer" from us and not an "Offer".

By that I mean that I dont believe it was necessary for him to call larry and company to say that he was turning them down....

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

By that I mean that I dont believe it was necessary for him to call larry and company to say that he was turning them down....

Sounds like my senior prom.

kccougar
04-25-2016, 09:19 PM

Ah yes, the famous Utah non-commitable offer.

Rocker Ute
04-25-2016, 09:25 PM

Well, it did get us out of a game with you.

UtahsMrSports
04-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Kcougar is just crawling out from under his bridge.

All news outlets do this.....heck, with Brekkott our locals talked about how we had beaten out UCLA and Arizona, and thats just not the case. He had an offer, not an Offer.

LA Ute
04-25-2016, 11:40 PM

We didn't want him anyway.

311ute
04-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Kcougar is just crawling out from under his bridge.

All news outlets do this.....heck, with Brekkott our locals talked about how we had beaten out UCLA and Arizona, and thats just not the case. He had an offer, not an Offer.

People who don't understand this obviously don't know how recruiting works.

concerned
04-26-2016, 10:30 AM
People who don't understand this obviously don't know how recruiting works.

That would be me then. What is the difference between an offer and an Offer?

UtahsMrSports
04-26-2016, 10:34 AM
That would be me then. What is the difference between an offer and an Offer?

offer = 'we are interested, we'd love to have you visit campus, play against our team and further evaluate you.'

Offer = 'You can commit now or any time and we will take you.'

Chastain was in the former, Yurtseven and (likely) Angola-Rodas in the latter.

SoCalPat
04-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Don't buy anything a hometown sports writer says without verification elsewhere. I've had so many parents and kids flat out lie to me as to the interest their kid is receiving, it's comical.

There's no way a kid turns down Utah for a mid-major program that hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 30 years. If he was good enough to get a Utah offer, he could have stayed home anyway and chosen much better programs than Loyola Chicago. I'll say it -- he had no Offer from Utah.

Still, if this is the kind of kid we're chasing at this stage, we're whiffing on a lot of our prospects.

U-Ute
04-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Utebuntu tweeting about an offer for a kid named Tyler Bey.

https://twitter.com/LV_Knicks/status/724694186184728577

concerned
04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
offer = 'we are interested, we'd love to have you visit campus, play against our team and further evaluate you.'

Offer = 'You can commit now or any time and we will take you.'

Chastain was in the former, Yurtseven and (likely) Angola-Rodas in the latter.

well, obiously an offer is not an offer at all. Its more like "thanks for coming, we'll get back to you."

By the way, Old Standing Ute has branched out from basketball punditry and entered the world of political punditry.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3801083-155/op-ed-utah-sovereignty-is-a-lost

as a further thought to his punditry, I would tell the feds to take back/out Glen Canyon and Flaming Gorge dams too.

snafu
04-26-2016, 11:53 AM
Don't buy anything a hometown sports writer says without verification elsewhere. I've had so many parents and kids flat out lie to me as to the interest their kid is receiving, it's comical.

There's no way a kid turns down Utah for a mid-major program that hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 30 years. If he was good enough to get a Utah offer, he could have stayed home anyway and chosen much better programs than Loyola Chicago. I'll say it -- he had no Offer from Utah.

Still, if this is the kind of kid we're chasing at this stage, we're whiffing on a lot of our prospects.

I'm with you SoCal, I have no insight into how recruiting works.

However, If we didn't offer this kid, I would be inclined to think that means that we have some better options in play. If we were whiffing on our prospects I would think Chastain would be signed, sealed and delivered.

Maybe I am way off on this...

Old Standing ute
04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
well, obiously an offer is not an offer at all. Its more like "thanks for coming, we'll get back to you."

By the way, Old Standing Ute has branched out from basketball punditry and entered the world of political punditry.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3801083-155/op-ed-utah-sovereignty-is-a-lost

as a further thought to his punditry, I would tell the feds to take back/out Glen Canyon and Flaming Gorge dams too.

I am one step away from Howard Beale in movie Network.

on recruiting--we need to cut someone lose if we add 1 (unless my math is wrong); so needs to be an immediate help rather than a project replacing another project like Mawien.

UtahsMrSports
04-26-2016, 12:57 PM
I am one step away from Howard Beale in movie Network.

on recruiting--we need to cut someone lose if we add 1 (unless my math is wrong); so needs to be an immediate help rather than a project replacing another project like Mawien.

Possibly. Right now, we have 12 with the possibility that Dave Collette can claim the 13th for spring, but that has not been ruled on one way or another.

Old Standing ute
04-26-2016, 01:05 PM
I would be really surprised if Collette does not get a scholarship, unless USU can still block it.?

he si good enough to deserve/earn one.

UtahsMrSports
04-26-2016, 01:12 PM
I would be really surprised if Collette does not get a scholarship, unless USU can still block it.?

I agree completely. Goon had a piece where the family was unsure but I have to think that the NCAA can get involved and approve it, because as much as I criticized him for leaving when he did, the way Duryea handled it was REALLY REALLY trashy, IMO. Unfair to the kid completely.

UBlender
04-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Maybe they looked at him and decided they like Bealer more. Maybe he looked around and decided he wants to stay in the midwest. Maybe we are still hoping for something better.

PG and SF still look like question marks to me, especially in terms of depth.

There was someone on either twitter or one of the message boards (may have been this very thread for all I know) that claimed to have seen Larry and Chastain at the football scrimmage a couple weeks back when Chastain was on his visit. This person said that Chastain looked a lot smaller in person than his listed 6'5"/6'6". Based on all of the info we have seen I believe that Chastain was given an "offer" to come in on a visit, give the coaches a closer look at him and allow him to scrimmage with the current team and see how he stacks up. If that all goes well AND we have an open spot (which we probably do since we missed Angola-Rodas and have current players that could/will be moved out as soon as we have a better option) then he gets the Offer that he can actually sign.

And as others have said, it is not uncommon for offers and Offers to be confused and this happens with players who pick Utah too. Chapman was mentioned, and Loveridge was another one who had Arizona in his final 4 even though I very much doubt he had an Offer from them at the time.

UBlender
04-26-2016, 02:13 PM

The thing with Collette is that he can't have a scholarship for the fall of 2016 semester because Duryea blocked it. He would be able to have one in the second half of the season. The question is whether Utah would want to/be able to use one of its 13 scholarships for only half a season or if they could/would try to coax Collette into paying his own way for one more semester (I have no idea if he or his family would have the means to make this realistic). It's a better allocation of resources to give that scholarship to someone who can use it the full year, if you're up against the limit and have an opportunity to add a player.

Having said all that, it may be moot as Utah is having a hard time adding any recruits lately and our 13 may stand as currently constituted: Barefield, Bealer, Bonam, Chapman, Collette, Daniels, Johnson, Kuzma, Mawein, Ogbe, Rawson, Van Dyke, Zamora. I am more convinced each day that this is our roster for next year with no further changes. It sounds like it's Omer or bust right now, with a slight possibility of a graduate transfer coming into the picture.

snafu
04-26-2016, 02:44 PM
It sounds like it's Omer or bust right now, with a slight possibility of a graduate transfer coming into the picture.

If so, what are the implications? To me, that would mean the staff is comfortable with our situation at the guard spots.

Omer is a big so if he is all we are waiting on then coach must feel pretty good about the new guys coming in, Barefield, PVD, Daniels, Zamora

The staff must also be expecting Ogbe to be in the mix. We will need him, especially early on in the season.

SoCalPat
04-26-2016, 04:33 PM
There was someone on either twitter or one of the message boards (may have been this very thread for all I know) that claimed to have seen Larry and Chastain at the football scrimmage a couple weeks back when Chastain was on his visit. This person said that Chastain looked a lot smaller in person than his listed 6'5"/6'6". Based on all of the info we have seen I believe that Chastain was given an "offer" to come in on a visit, give the coaches a closer look at him and allow him to scrimmage with the current team and see how he stacks up. If that all goes well AND we have an open spot (which we probably do since we missed Angola-Rodas and have current players that could/will be moved out as soon as we have a better option) then he gets the Offer that he can actually sign.

And as others have said, it is not uncommon for offers and Offers to be confused and this happens with players who pick Utah too. Chapman was mentioned, and Loveridge was another one who had Arizona in his final 4 even though I very much doubt he had an Offer from them at the time.

That's an NCAA violation right there. Not even a garden variety toeing-the-line violation, but full on running over it.

UBlender
04-26-2016, 04:38 PM
If so, what are the implications? To me, that would mean the staff is comfortable with our situation at the guard spots.

Omer is a big so if he is all we are waiting on then coach must feel pretty good about the new guys coming in, Barefield, PVD, Daniels, Zamora

The staff must also be expecting Ogbe to be in the mix. We will need him, especially early on in the season.

There's a lot of guards in the mix as is (as you noted). Bonam will nail down one spot and play 30+ minutes. The combination of the new guys plus perhaps Ogbe will have to work for the other spot and the bench. Sometimes we get all hot and bothered about new recruits, but you have to step back and ask yourself: Is (Recruit X) going to be an upgrade over Barefield/PVD/Zamora etc? At this late stage, probably not (with the caveat that nobody seems certain on Zamora's health). Guard, like adding Omer at center, is more of a luxury at this point--we'll have a bunch of guys coming in and probably at least one will be pretty good. If you can get a guy that is a definite difference maker you take him, but you're not in need of adding bodies just for the sake of numbers there.

Now wing is a whole 'nother story. Right now, we're looking at going into next season with the following options at SF:
--Chapman (disappointing sophomore season, not sure he's quick enough to guard on the perimeter)
--Kuzma (needs to shoot much better to play big minutes at 3)
--Bealer (pretty talented, but couldn't master the offense or defense enough to get minutes last year, need to hope he's this year's Kuzma)
--Ogbe (always injured)
--Daniels (true freshman, not sure he's big enough to play 3 in certain matchups)

I think Utah still sees 3 as a need for next year due to all of those questions. Problem is they haven't been able to land their targets and appear to be willing to roll the dice that they can make it work with the candidates listed above rather than use a scholarship on a guy who's just not PAC 12 talent. There's still time for something to happen, but I'm not seeing any readily available options at the moment.

UBlender
04-26-2016, 04:40 PM
That's an NCAA violation right there. Not even a garden variety toeing-the-line violation, but full on running over it.

Is it? I'm pretty sure I've heard of this being fairly common practice on recruiting trips, but maybe it makes a difference whether the coaches are there. I can't see how it would be a violation if the player hosting the recruit simply organized a pickup game with his friends (who also happen to be teammates) and then later gave the coaches some feedback?

SoCalPat
04-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Is it? I'm pretty sure I've heard of this being fairly common practice on recruiting trips, but maybe it makes a difference whether the coaches are there. I can't see how it would be a violation if the player hosting the recruit simply organized a pickup game with his friends (who also happen to be teammates) and then later gave the coaches some feedback?

Still a violation.

As an NCAA rule, Division I and Division III schools do not allow tryouts. On an official or unofficial visit, you may participate in workouts that are not organized or observed by the coaching staff. Typically, the workout will be lead by the team’s captains and they must not be designed to test your athletic ability. Division II and NAIA schools are allowed to conduct one tryout, in the off-season of your sport, during your senior year.

https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/blog/2012/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-official-visits-2/\

UBlender
04-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Still a violation.

As an NCAA rule, Division I and Division III schools do not allow tryouts. On an official or unofficial visit, you may participate in workouts that are not organized or observed by the coaching staff. Typically, the workout will be lead by the team’s captains and they must not be designed to test your athletic ability. Division II and NAIA schools are allowed to conduct one tryout, in the off-season of your sport, during your senior year.

https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/blog/2012/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-official-visits-2/\

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the workout that is unorganized and unobserved by the coaching staff is what I have heard of taking place. I'm sure the sweet little NCAA is really on top of making sure that Kyle Kuzma doesn't whisper to a coach about how the workout went.

UtahsMrSports
04-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Tim Coleman from Lee College will be Visiting on thursday. The guard averaged 14.5 points, 4 boards, 4 assists and two steals in 13 games last year.

UtahsMrSports
04-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Still a violation.

Does pick up ball count as a workout?

Rocker Ute
04-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Seeing a lot of angst over this year's recruiting in a variety of places. Is it that we are tired of the JUCO/unknown quantity route, or has Kodiak demonstrated he doesn't really know how to recruit?

For whatever reason I'm not worried, we've always been disappointed when we are thinking pie in the sky. It isn't who Utah is.

UBlender
04-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Seeing a lot of angst over this year's recruiting in a variety of places. Is it that we are tired of the JUCO/unknown quantity route, or has Kodiak demonstrated he doesn't really know how to recruit?

For whatever reason I'm not worried, we've always been disappointed when we are thinking pie in the sky. It isn't who Utah is.

I think it's just because Utah has been a finalist for several big name guys, some of whom have had ties to the program, and has come up empty on most of them. Our recruiting class is pretty similar to those that Larry has built this program with, but people see us getting close on some 4- and 5-star types and miss while Arizona, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are reeling them in. I think it's fair to wonder whether Utah can sustain its success based on under-the-radar players while our conference rivals load up on McDonald's All-Americans.

UTEopia
04-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Tim Coleman from Lee College will be Visiting on thursday. The guard averaged 14.5 points, 4 boards, 4 assists and two steals in 13 games last year.

6'1", 190 lbs.

SeattleUte
04-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Last night I woke up at 2 drenched in a cold sweat; it hit me that we'd been freakishly lucky with Delon--whoever heard of a JUCO like that? It almost never happens. And likewise we were freakishly lucky with Jakob, for reasons I don't need to elucidate. If you give us normal luck, where would we be now? Where will we be going forward with normal or bad luck? I think the lack of high star recruiting this season is a potential problem. Let's see if Kodiak finds a way to compete notwithstanding recruiting handicaps like Whit has.

Utebiquitous
04-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Seattle,
I'd add the thought that we've been lucky with Bonham as well. Obviously, he's no Delon but he did very well this season for a JC transfer. We haven't had many who play well immediately and even though Lorenzo had his ups and downs he was a significant piece to the team's success. I'm optimistic about his senior year.

NorthwestUteFan
04-28-2016, 12:35 PM
What about Jayce Johnson? Barefield? Collette? Not to mention Bonam.

We have some questions, but definitely are not lacking talent.

SeattleUte
04-28-2016, 12:38 PM

Now compare these recruits with our Pac 12 peers' lists.

concerned
04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Last night I woke up at 2 drenched in a cold sweat; it hit me that we'd been freakishly lucky with Delon--whoever heard of a JUCO like that? It almost never happens. And likewise we were freakishly lucky with Jakob, for reasons I don't need to elucidate. If you give us normal luck, where would we be now? Where will we be going forward with normal or bad luck? I think the lack of high star recruiting this season is a potential problem. Let's see if Kodiak finds a way to compete notwithstanding recruiting handicaps like Whit has.

It seems to me LK has many fewer recruiting handicaps than Whit does. Lot easier to recruit 5 players a year than 25, and one diamond can make all the difference.

P_lus our basketball facilities compare better to other Pac 12 schools than our football facilities do.

I am appropriately "concerned" about our recruiting. I hope it doesn't really too heavily on JC players or transfers. I hope that this year is not the norm, and that the last two years were not the exception, but that may be the way it is.

SeattleUte
04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Seattle,
I'd add the thought that we've been lucky with Bonham as well. Obviously, he's no Delon but he did very well this season for a JC transfer. We haven't had many who play well immediately and even though Lorenzo had his ups and downs he was a significant piece to the team's success. I'm optimistic about his senior year.

I agree. I saw him in Seattle and liked him a lot.

concerned
04-28-2016, 01:07 PM
On the other hand, the Polynesian community, which we can recruit, seems to produce far more football than basketball players.

I think the LDS community might help football more than basketball. There are a lot of 3 star mormon kids who come for football. There are not a lot of Pac-12 quality LDS basketball players.

We can usually land 3 star kids for either sport. That can translate into success more easily for football than basketball. If you have an incoming football class of twenty 3* kids, you know that a few of them will turn into great players and a few will at least turn into Pac-12 worthy starters. If you have an incoming basketball class of three 3* kids, there's a decent chance they all turn out to be duds. There are very few P5 annual tournament teams that don't get the occasional blue chip recruit.

Very true. Good point.

SeattleUte
04-28-2016, 01:20 PM
On the other hand, the Polynesian community, which we can recruit, seems to produce far more football than basketball players.

I think the LDS community might help football more than basketball. There are a lot of 3 star mormon kids who come for football. There are not a lot of Pac-12 quality LDS basketball players.

We can usually land 3 star kids for either sport. That can translate into success more easily for football than basketball. If you have an incoming football class of twenty 3* kids, you know that a few of them will turn into great players and a few will at least turn into Pac-12 worthy starters. If you have an incoming basketball class of three 3* kids, there's a decent chance they all turn out to be duds. There are very few P5 annual tournament teams that don't get the occasional blue chip recruit.

I agree that basketball may be the bigger recruiting challenge. There are only three to five recruits a year, but basketball is heavily weighted in favor of highly refined skills of the kind you're born with. Great linemen are made more than are great point guards or long and athletic wings. Also, while quarterback is an ultra-skill position, some of the full suite of qualities that make a good quarterback are quite opaque in 18 year olds, which has a leveling effect. Finally, basketball is an urban sport and football more of a red state sport. It's hard to get kids with basketball bred in the bone from outside Utah to come there for college. Part of the problem is ages-old perceptions about racism.

LA Ute
04-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Plus our basketball facilities compare better to other Pac 12 schools than our football facilities do.

I think the football facility is world-class, just like the basketball facility is. (Apart from our smallish stadium, which you may be including in "facilities.")

I am appropriately "concerned" about our recruiting. I hope it doesn't really too heavily on JC players or transfers. I hope that this year is not the norm, and that the last two years were not the exception, but that may be the way it is.

I am with you and SU on this. I think anyone who is paying close attention to what has been happening, both recently and historically, feels the same way. I.e., we're in a wait and see mode, hoping that LK doesn't have to keep pulling rabbits out of hats (Delon, Jakob, Lorenzo) to keep the program moving upward.

concerned
04-28-2016, 01:33 PM
I think the football facility is world-class, just like the basketball facility is. (Apart from our smallish stadium, which you may be including in "facilities.")

I am with you and SU on this. I think anyone who is paying close attention to what has been happening, both recently and historically, feels the same way. I.e., we're in a wait and see mode, hoping that LK doesn't have to keep pulling rabbits out of hats (Delon, Jakob, Lorenzo) to keep the program moving upward.

I was referring mostly to the stadium, because it is very small compared to all the other South stadia, and most of the north.

Utebiquitous
04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

I agree with your point N'West but I also think Seattle's point about JC talent is an important one. We've been fortunate on a couple of JC guys when our history hasn't been too strong. Think about Jakob as well. Our own coaches will tell you they didn't anticipate how good he'd be so quickly. They knew they were getting a player but I remember talking to Norm Parrish after the first official basketball practice two years ago. He said the coaches were amazed at how quickly Jakob was adapting to DI ball and predicted then that he'd be an immediate starter and short-timer at the U.

I hope we continue to hit with one or two guys a year. On the optimistic side I'd add Daniels to your list of Johnson, Collette and Barefield. I'm crossing my fingers that he becomes a good to great Pac-12 player. To expect that year one is probably too much. We will need Johnson, Collette and Barefield to play well to finish in the top four. Kuzma and Bonham won't be enough. Neither are the transformative player that Jakob was. That may be too high of praise but you get my point.

NorthwestUteFan
04-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Recruiting to Utah will always be difficult due to outsider perceptions of the culture. We will find a few diamonds in the rough here and there but I don't know whether we will ever be able to keep pace with Arizona or Cal in recruiting.

Mormon Red Death
04-28-2016, 05:57 PM
I want jo jo Zamora to be great simply because of the great nickname jo jo gimme Zamora

NorthwestUteFan
04-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Not to mention the backcourt group of Jo Jo, Sedric, and Zo.

SeattleUte
04-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Recruiting to Utah will always be difficult due to outsider perceptions of the culture. We will find a few diamonds in the rough here and there but I don't know whether we will ever be able to keep pace with Arizona or Cal in recruiting.

Ironically, Jack Gardner recruited Billy McGill, Jerry Chambers, and Merv Jackson et al. because there was no Jim Crow in Utah, and while Jim Crow lessened the recruiting competition for these players.

SoCalPat
04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Ironically, Jack Gardner recruited Billy McGill, Jerry Chambers, and Merv Jackson et al. because there was no Jim Crow in Utah, and while Jim Crow lessened the recruiting competition for these players.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Utah hoops recruiting has ALWAYS been about finding success where others aren't looking. It's also dangerous to try and change that, because if you strike out, you ain't getting it back. Witness what Boylen did to the Aussie pipeline. Now granted, others were looking and it's not the hidden treasure it once was 10-15 years ago, but we had the ace of spades in Bogut. Not sure we can ever get that back.

I'm fully convinced that the Middle East and Arab kids will be our next area of influence, both in their native lands and in other Western European countries.

Yes, we're walking a thin line with this approach, but until the Ls start piling up, I don't worry too much about it.

UtahsMrSports
04-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Tim coleman has committed!

Mormon Red Death
04-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Isn't he a forward?

snafu
04-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Update:

PG: Barefield, Coleman
SG: Bonam, Zamora, Ogbe, Daniels, Van Dyke
SF: Chapman, Bealer
PF: Kuzma, Rawson
C: Collette, Johnson, Mawien

This is the simplified version, since some of these guys can play multiple positions.

Not looking very good for PVD I would guess

UtahsMrSports
04-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Not looking very good for PVD I would guess

PVD is one of the most strangely misunderstood players that we have in the program. Literally every time his name is brought up, he is dismissed and labeled as a likely transfer because he lacks "Pac-12 athleticism", as if his role is to be a 30 minute a night starter.

IF (And its a big if, admittedly) PVD can come in and find ways to slide to the open spots and punish people for poor rotations, then he is worth whatever you have to do to hide him on defense (for what its worth, his defense will never be lockdown, but even as a freshman, he showed a lot of awareness and effort on that end) for 12-15 minutes a night. Dont need him to create his own shot, dont need him to lock anyone down, just need him to provide spacing.

LA Ute
04-30-2016, 11:34 AM
What does everyone think of this Tim Coleman commitment/signing?

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3837498-155/utah-basketball-juco-guard-tim-coleman

justaute
04-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Not sure what to think at the moment. His numbers don't stand-out in any category. Not long, either. Proof is in the pudding. Wait-n-see.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3837498-155/utah-basketball-juco-guard-tim-coleman

UTEopia
04-30-2016, 02:45 PM

His measureables don't do anything for me. IMO, we needed a 6'6 or 6'7 wing player more than a 6'1 guard. I seriously doubt that Bealer will be anything more than he was this past year and I do not see Ogbe getting healthy.

Old Standing ute
04-30-2016, 03:35 PM

found some old video from his frosh year where they said he was shooting 45% from 3. He looked really good in that game clip. Somewhere else said he was 1 of top 12 JC prospects going into last year. he injured his shoulder last year, so maybe that effected his stats.

Diehard Ute
04-30-2016, 03:59 PM
found some old video from his frosh year where they said he was shooting 45% from 3. He looked really good in that game clip. Somewhere else said he was 1 of top 12 JC prospects going into last year. he injured his shoulder last year, so maybe that effected his stats.

He only played 12 games

Old Standing ute
04-30-2016, 06:18 PM
I could not find his stats for year before.

anyone?

LA Ute
04-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Maybe our recruiting staff could use this:

https://www.cheapoair.com/miles-away/why-salt-lake-city-could-very-well-be-the-next-san-francisco/

SeattleUte
05-01-2016, 09:25 PM
On paper, Coleman doesn't look like a Pac 12 player. I hope the coaches can see something we can't on the Internet.

SoCalPat
05-02-2016, 12:11 PM
At first blush, I like this signing. He played in a tougher league than Bonam and put up similar numbers. If we weren't already as deep as we are in the backcourt, it would rate higher. But as things stand, we were a middle of the pack team before this signing and we're gonna be one after it.

LA Ute
05-02-2016, 12:34 PM
At first blush, I like this signing. He played in a tougher league than Bonam and put up similar numbers. If we weren't already as deep as we are in the backcourt, it would rate higher. But as things stand, we were a middle of the pack team before this signing and we're gonna be one after it.

I am just speculating, but Larry and his coaches are very thorough and careful about whom they recruit. We are not in the early years of the rebuild now, so he's not just grabbing players. Coleman is surely at least a PAC-12 caliber player. Still, I agree with you that there is no reason to believe he will be a game changer.

UtahsMrSports
05-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Ucf transfer adonys henriquez to visit next monday. 6'6 210 would have to sit out and then have 2 years left.

snafu
05-02-2016, 12:52 PM
This staff doesn't seem to be that interested in grad transfers. I think Dubois was the last one we had. It seems like there are more and more of these one-year rentals every year. Maybe this year would be a good time to add one since we have so many young guys coming in. With Coleman committed it doesn't look like we will do anything this year though.

justaute
05-05-2016, 08:09 PM
It appears that we recently offered this 2017 PG. Saben Lee

http://www.scout.com/player/201765-saben-lee/recruiting?year=2016&s=75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxoP3e-Igs

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Like a whisper.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160509/6856a8df2106f55418d8ebe785cf0a97.jpg

Applejack
05-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Like a whisper.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160509/6856a8df2106f55418d8ebe785cf0a97.jpg

I haven't seen Syracuse listed as a possibility before. Jim Boeheim up to his old tricks.

justaute
05-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Syracuse has been around. I remember reading about it a few weeks ago.

I haven't seen Syracuse listed as a possibility before. Jim Boeheim up to his old tricks.

SoCalPat
05-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Yurtseven is projected by DraftExpress to be a lottery pick in the 2017 draft. Don't know how credible this site is, or their projections.

He was good, but not dominant, at the U-18 European Championships. Averaged about 9 and 9, while shooting in the low 50s from both the field and line. He had a teammate on that national team that is a potential first-round pick in this year's draft. Don't think any other school seriously in the running has anyone close to Poeltl to demonstrate development. And although he plays for Turkey, he is Uzbekistani by birth. (Another country that hasn't produced an NBA player!). You know how bullish I am on this part of the world being an emerging region for basketball talent -- landing Yurtseven would be significant.

snafu
05-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I am still smarting over Markannen. Of all places, he chooses Arizona. From what I have seen Yurtseven has several high level programs chasing him, not just Syracuse and NC State. We could use some good news right now but I am not getting my hopes up.

UtahsMrSports
05-11-2016, 01:13 PM
I am still smarting over Markannen. Of all places, he chooses Arizona. From what I have seen Yurtseven has several high level programs chasing him, not just Syracuse and NC State. We could use some good news right now but I am not getting my hopes up.

I think I remember reading at the time that Markannen liked the ability to play immediately at AZ. Cant blame him, at that time. We had two 4's occupying those spots. Now with BC gone, and Kuzma looking like he will need to play some 3 (to what extent I haven't a clue), he could have slid right in to the starting spot. Oh well.

As Pat pointed out, if we could land Yurtseven and start a pipeline from that part of the world, that would be huge for us!

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Cool Jakob video. I wonder if he speaks Turkish? https://twitter.com/Runnin_Utes/status/730412212557242368

justaute
05-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Utah apparently made another offer a few days ago. Sebastian Much, a 6'7" SF. http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

He seems to be an ok athlete with good understanding of the game. Has other P12 offers from ASU and WSU.

UtahsMrSports
05-14-2016, 11:15 AM
2016 3* wing Harold Baruti is in town this weekend for a visit. Signing period ends on May 18.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Omer Yurtseven scored 91 points in a game yesterday.

sancho
05-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Omer Yurtseven scored 91 points in a game yesterday.

Twitter says it's down to Utah vs nc state with a decision by Wed. I think we should just split him and get 45.5 points each.

Applejack
05-16-2016, 07:33 AM
Twitter says it's down to Utah vs nc state with a decision by Wed. I think we should just split him and get 45.5 points each.

It's got to be us, right? What has NC State done for the world, except that one year that they won it all with Thurl? Let's get Thurl on the phone to make the final pitch for us!

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-16-2016, 07:46 AM
It's got to be us, right? What has NC State done for the world, except that one year that they won it all with Thurl? Let's get Thurl on the phone to make the final pitch for us!

Just don't bring up his son.

snafu
05-16-2016, 09:31 AM

I like our chances. Krystko has a thing for the number seven and this kids name is - YURTSEVEN

I mean this is a match made in heaven. It simply must happen.

DrumNFeather
05-16-2016, 09:55 AM

I like our chances. Krystko has a thing for the number seven and this kids name is - YURTSEVEN

I mean this is a match made in heaven. It simply must happen.

Per the twitter, he signed with NC State. Curse you Mark Gottfried!

Scratch
05-16-2016, 09:57 AM

NC State has bag men. That's the difference.

UTEopia
05-17-2016, 11:30 AM
The Utes went after a lot of high profile kids this past year and while they landed Johnson, who I would consider high profile, they missed on a number of others. This begs the question of whether they should adjust their sites a little bit going forward. All in all, the past year was not bad.

Johnson - 4*
Daniels - 3*
Barefield - former 4*
Collette - MWC freshman of the year? Is that right or am I making that up?

SoCalPat
05-17-2016, 12:16 PM
NC State has bag men. That's the difference.

Gottfried was also an assistant at UCLA under Harrick. You know he's learned from the best.

Old Standing ute
05-17-2016, 02:37 PM
The Utes went after a lot of high profile kids this past year and while they landed Johnson, who I would consider high profile, they missed on a number of others. This begs the question of whether they should adjust their sites a little bit going forward. All in all, the past year was not bad.

Johnson - 4*
Daniels - 3*
Barefield - former 4*
Collette - MWC freshman of the year? Is that right or am I making that up?

Collette was freshman of the year & was either 3rd team or honorable mention all conference in Mt. West.
He is a big body as he is 22 or 23 years old & is a good rebounder.

Two Utes
05-17-2016, 02:40 PM
Collette was freshman of the year & was either 3rd team or honorable mention all conference in Mt. West.
He is a big body as he is 22 or 23 years old & is a good rebounder.

He's not a great rebounder. But he is a very good post player. He's a decent rim protector as well. He's aguy you can go to to gte a bucket when you need it

311ute
05-18-2016, 09:50 AM
He's not a great rebounder. But he is a very good post player. He's a decent rim protector as well. He's aguy you can go to to gte a bucket when you need it

Collette's biggest weakness he had his freshman year was fouling. He fouled out of 10 games, and finished with 4 fouls in 10 more. He would've averaged a lot more than 25.5 mpg if he could've stayed out of foul trouble.

His PER was a team high 26.6. (which would've ranked second on our team this past year). He's very efficient offensively.

Two Utes
05-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Collette's biggest weakness he had his freshman year was fouling. He fouled out of 10 games, and finished with 4 fouls in 10 more. He would've averaged a lot more than 25.5 mpg if he could've stayed out of foul trouble.

His PER was a team high 26.6. (which would've ranked second on our team this past year). He's very efficient offensively.

Yep.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Hopefully some of those were moving screens. I'd hate to not have several of those a game.

Two Utes
05-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Hopefully some of those were moving screens. I'd hate to not have several of those a game.

He had some stupid fouls. Just couldn't keep out of foul trouble.

NorthwestUteFan
05-18-2016, 07:09 PM
He had some stupid fouls. Just couldn't keep out of foul trouble.
So, Brekkott but bigger?

Two Utes
05-19-2016, 09:31 AM
So, Brekkott but bigger?

No. He doesn't get pushed around. Is a legitimate post player. He's got an unusually big wing span for a white guy. Doesn't shoot the 3.

sancho
05-19-2016, 09:54 AM
No. He doesn't get pushed around. Is a legitimate post player. He's got an unusually big wing span for a white guy. Doesn't shoot the 3.

We're going to bring back the old school, non-shooting big. If it works, every non-shooting big in the country will line up to play for Utah.

Utebiquitous
05-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Two Utes,
I seem to recall some highlights of Collette shooting out to 15 feet though. Am I dreaming? It would be nice to have a strong post player who can hit the free throw/free throw extended jumper a little.

concerned
05-19-2016, 10:00 AM
We're going to bring back the old school, non-shooting big. If it works, every non-shooting big in the country will line up to play for Utah.

We have decided to adopt the Jazz model.

Two Utes
05-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Two Utes,
I seem to recall some highlights of Collette shooting out to 15 feet though. Am I dreaming? It would be nice to have a strong post player who can hit the free throw/free throw extended jumper a little.

Not past 15. He hit a desperation 3 to win the game in Boise, but he took less than 10 threes all year. Perhaps he's worked on that part of his game. free throw, he was around 60% I believe. His offensive efficiency was off the charts. He posted up people and finished extremely well. He's a better post player than Mika. He's the best post player in the state right now.

snafu
05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Not past 15. He hit a desperation 3 to win the game in Boise, but he took less than 10 threes all year. Perhaps he's worked on that part of his game. free throw, he was around 60% I believe. His offensive efficiency was off the charts. He posted up people and finished extremely well. He's a better post player than Mika. He's the best post player in the state right now.

Two Utes, do you expect Collette to start at the 4 and have Kuzma slide down to the 3? Can he play some 5? What are your thoughts on where he will fit in with this team?

Utebiquitous
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM
I think Two has said before that he's more a 5 than a 4 but I'll let him weigh in. I've been told that Larry hopes to play him at both positions. Thanks for the info on Collette's shooting. I'm sure that what my mind is remembering is the three to win the game in Boise. That got a lot of play on all the channels for a couple of newscasts.

UBlender
05-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Two Utes, do you expect Collette to start at the 4 and have Kuzma slide down to the 3? Can he play some 5? What are your thoughts on where he will fit in with this team?

I don't know what will happen as Utah's SF position is huge question mark right now, but a lineup of Johnson/Collette/Kuzma is going to be very difficult to use unless at least one of those makes huge progress on his three point shot. That lineup just begs the defense to sag way down into the paint and allows no room in the post or for guards to drive. A lot people float this out there but I don't see it.

Two Utes
05-19-2016, 01:52 PM

No. Collette is a 5 and Kuzma is a 4. Wishful thinking to see Kuzma at the 3. He's bulking up, not getting skinnier.

I suppose Collette could play 4, but he's going to be a post 4 and I thought Utah wanted more space to work in the paint not less.

NorthwestUteFan
05-19-2016, 02:18 PM
I meant he is a magnet for silly fouls.

Two Utes
05-19-2016, 03:39 PM
I meant he is a magnet for silly fouls.

Then yes.