PDA

View Full Version : Pro Day?

USUonU
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
How did your guys do? I heard a little about Star and Reggie. What about John White?

crazyute
03-20-2013, 04:28 PM
if you give the rivals guys your money they will tell you!

Hot Lunch
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I just want to know why we didn't get the ball into Reggie Dunn's hands more often. Wow, that dude is fast. It is a shame that he didn't get more touches with his speed.

Solon
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
I just want to know why we didn't get the ball into Reggie Dunn's hands more often. Wow, that dude is fast. It is a shame that he didn't get more touches with his speed.

This is what I thought when Steve Smith finished up. Crying shame.

crazyute
03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
or why jamal anderson didn't play until half way through his senior year

Scorcho
03-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Hans sent out a tweet today that John White had a rough day. Clip fell off when he was bench pressing and he slipped on a time trial.

chrisrenrut
03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Dirk Facer has a report including video up
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865576299/Utes-football-Star-Lotulelei-Dave-Kruger-and-Reggie-Dunn-evaluated-at-Utahs-NFL-Pro-Day-video.html

USUonU
03-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Who do you guys think will get drafted. Obviously Star and one of the Krugers but who else.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Reggie has terrible hands.

Utah
03-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Who do you guys think will get drafted. Obviously Star and one of the Krugers but who else.

Star, the younger Kruger, and possibly one of the two guys with really fast 40 times. I could see a team falling in love with Dunn (*cough* the Radiers *cough*) and taking him in a late round.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2013, 07:50 AM

I feel like we threw a lot of screens to him that just went nowhere because he had speed but no moves.

Utah
03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
I feel like we threw a lot of screens to him that just went nowhere because he had speed but no moves.

It seems like Reggie would have been better utilized in an Oregon/Urban style spread offense. Line him up in the slot, put him in motion, he then becomes a running option, if he doesn't get the ball in a handoff, he runs to the flat and if the QB decides to throw, the then becomes a passing option.

That would get him in space better than all those telegraphed screens we ran for him last year. It would also put pressure on the defense, because if the End steps up Reggie has a step on him getting to the flat. It forces the LB to then decide if he wants to cover Reggie or go after the QB.

Anyhow, my two cents.

Applejack
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Some interesting participants in pro day. Shakerin, Lorenzo Ford?

Hot Lunch
03-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Reggie only had 12 catches and 13 carries last year. I am not sure how many times he was targeted on passes. \Outside of his kick returns, he averaged just over 2 other touches per game. The more I thought about this last night, the more it really bugged me. Combine this with the fact that I felt like we did a horrible job at getting the ball to play makers like Kenneth Scott, I am really happy there is some new blood running the offense.

Sad thing is, we have had new blood running the offense every year for the past few years. :swear:

UteBeliever aka Port
03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Reggie only had 12 catches and 13 carries last year. I am not sure how many times he was targeted on passes. \Outside of his kick returns, he averaged just over 2 other touches per game. The more I thought about this last night, the more it really bugged me. Combine this with the fact that I felt like we did a horrible job at getting the ball to play makers like Kenneth Scott, I am really happy there is some new blood running the offense.

Sad thing is, we have had new blood running the offense every year for the past few years. :swear:

:swear: is right. Scott was so underutilized. IIRC, Murphy and the TEs also were ignored for a good portion of the middle of the season. Towards the end of the season I seem to recall myself yelling at the TV, "THROW THE BALL TO KEN SCOTT!" Seemed he was the one that would go up and get a ball. He was as close to money as any of the receivers and, yet, they didn't do much to get him the ball.

I also felt that the end arounds and screen plays were designed and called to fail. They were telegraphed from a mile away. Did Dunn do a great job on those? No. But who really would?

The play calling to get Dunn the ball on offense was unimaginative and predictable.

Did he have great hands? No. Were they awful? No. Certainly, we could have lined him up wide then motioned him into the backfield for a handoff or a quick toss.

Thank goodness that nobody had to call plays for him to get the ball on kick returns...

Hot Lunch
03-21-2013, 10:23 AM
:swear: is right. Scott was so underutilized. IIRC, Murphy and the TEs also were ignored for a good portion of the middle of the season. Towards the end of the season I seem to recall myself yelling at the TV, "THROW THE BALL TO KEN SCOTT!" Seemed he was the one that would go up and get a ball. He was as close to money as any of the receivers and, yet, they didn't do much to get him the ball.

I also felt that the end arounds and screen plays were designed and called to fail. They were telegraphed from a mile away. Did Dunn do a great job on those? No. But who really would?

The play calling to get Dunn the ball on offense was unimaginative and predictable.

Did he have great hands? No. Were they awful? No. Certainly, we could have lined him up wide then motioned him into the backfield for a handoff or a quick toss.

Thank goodness that nobody had to call plays for him to get the ball on kick returns...

I almost got kicked out of Iggy's in St. George because of this. Oh, did I mention that I threw something at their T.V? That also played a part in it. It was that game where I almost swore off the season after not getting Scott the ball and the worst imaginable play calling inside the five yard line one could imagine.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
i almost got kicked out of iggy's in st. George because of this. Oh, did i mention that i threw something at their t.v? That also played a part in it. It was that game where i almost swore off the season after not getting scott the ball and the worst imaginable play calling inside the five yard line one could imagine.

ucla

Hot Lunch
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
ucla

Yes, Ucla. I forgot to mention the team. Sad thing is, you knew the game. Was that the weekend we went down and you were proved you are one of the best dudes in the world and and checked out my daughters eye on our way down? I couldn't remember if it was that trip or another one.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Yes, Ucla. I forgot to mention the team. Sad thing is, you knew the game. Was that the weekend we went down and you were proved you are one of the best dudes in the world and and checked out my daughters eye on our way down? I couldn't remember if it was that trip or another one.

I can't remember. I think that was later. I remember because I was watching on my ipad in Overton NV(kids football), and my wife took it from me. She feared for its safety.

SavaUte
03-21-2013, 10:56 AM

I think everyone knew the game. That was pathetic

LA Ute
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
I almost got kicked out of Iggy's in St. George because of this. Oh, did I mention that I threw something at their T.V? That also played a part in it. It was that game where I almost swore off the season after not getting Scott the ball and the worst imaginable play calling inside the five yard line one could imagine.

I was at that game. The pregame stuff was great but watching the game was torture. What killed me was that as bad as the play calling was, the game seemed winnable.

SoCalPat
03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

I would appreciate a true breakdown of our receivers, something like Smart Football does. At the same time, I think I know enough about the roles of a wide receiver that I can have some idea of why some stuff works and why other stuff won't/didn't.

Scott, it would appear, is our best X receiver -- a speed guy lined up furthest from the ball. He cannot be an every-down player because his deep routes require him to be taken out after every play he's on the field. He's simply too gassed to be on the field in consecutive plays. Watch any NFL or college game and you'll see this -- especially after a missed opportunity deep. Where does the camera pan to the receiver's reaction? Often times, the bench because he has to come out for the next play (This is not applicable on third down misses, where the punt team comes on the field and everyone on the offense is back on the bench). The best example I can bring up of this is the 2008 Holy War. Technically, Austin Collie "started" every game but one that season. He didn't start against Utah because he ran the opening kickoff back 70 yards and couldn't be on the field for BYU's first play from scrimmage, which is how starts are measured.

If you want Scott on the field more, you're going to limit what he does best (go deep) and emphasize what he does worse, which is block. Additionally, I don't think you could ever use him as a make-miss guy, where you toss a quick out to the sidelines and require Scott to make his man miss. If you save him for third down, our offense becomes highly predictable. If you use him on first down and the long pass doesn't work, well, we know how our offense is in long-yardage situations. You're basically giving up a drive right there.

Why didn't we use Reggie Dunn more on offense? He's compromised. Yes, he's fast, but he's not physical enough to gain separation from physical DBs. This is where Devonte Christopher was solid -- he wasn't afraid of contact and could make DBs pay for their aggression. Additionally, Reggie's hands are bad. You'd much rather have him drop a pass at the LOS on a screen than you would a 40-yard bomb. (I don't even need to bring up the fears the coaches had that he would fumble, and I suspect he fumbled a lot more than we remember -- for whatever reason, utahutes.com doesn't list fumbles committed in its statistical breakdown). Yet he was our best run threat from the receiver position, so putting him at flanker would be most ideal, or making the most of a bad situation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- we desperately miss what Brent Casteel did for this offense. He was physical, could run a variety of routes, meaning we could put him at different spots on the field. I don't ever remember him putting the ball on the ground (making him a great running option) and his speed was outstanding prior to his knee injury, yet he still had some good wheels for us in 2008. In fact, that injury might have been the best thing that ever happened for Utah, because it forced us to cater to his true strengths and not be tempted to use him as a deep option.

SoCalPat
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
I really want to see Denham use his size to bulldoze DBs on screen plays.

Again, I want to reiterate that football Xs and Os is not my realm of expertise. While I would gladly take Denham vs. any DB, I view Denham's size as being better utilized against linebackers in coverage. We can get that matchup much more frequently. I don't view him as a make-miss guy where he has to avoid multiple tacklers in front of him. Better to get him behind linebackers and attack the middle of the field. We haven't done enough of that in recent years.