PDA

View Full Version : Why is March so mad? Round 1

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
So just settling in for the day. Which games are you watching?

DrumNFeather
03-21-2013, 09:46 AM
A couple of games with upset potential to kick off the tourney...that Bucknell, Butler, Marquette, Davidson pod should be real interesting.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
So just settling in for the day. Which games are you watching?

Games in the "Arena formerly known as the Delta Center" and whatever other updates I can get on my phone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Games in the "Arena formerly known as the Delta Center" and whatever other updates I can get on my phone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Are you attending?

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Are you attending?

Yes we are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Our seats

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Nice. Any crowd biases?

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Nice. Any crowd biases?

Going for the Shockers.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Lots of Zag fans for this session. Place is full of them.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Kelly Olynyk fan bois

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 01:29 PM
St. Mary's is getting worked

DrumNFeather
03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Had Bucknell over Davidson in the second round...maybe Davidson can still help me out.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Or not

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Former Duck Malcolm Armstead put on a work on Pitt. Is SU's bracket already busted?

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM

What a crazy finish.

UtahDan
03-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Gonzaga giving Southern a tough test so far.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Gonzaga giving Southern a tough test so far.

They are going to need to hit their outside shots. They are struggling to board with Gonzaga.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Dumbest sign in the arena. " Y Grad, Gonzaga fan ". Sports bigamy is a crime.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Dumbest sign in the arena. " Y Grad, Gonzaga fan ". Sports bigamy is a crime.

:highfive:

DrumNFeather
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Davidson chokes

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

UtahsMrSports
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Great start for Oregon! They are playing with a purpose. Out to show that their seed was a joke.

UtahsMrSports
03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Come on Southern! Beat the Zags!!!!!!!!!!!! Id LOVE to see a 16 beat a 1!!!!!!!!!!

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Come on Southern! Beat the Zags!!!!!!!!!!!! Id LOVE to see a 16 beat a 1!!!!!!!!!!

What a three! The crowd here is definitely behind the Jaguars now....much to the chagrin of the Gonzaga fans. Everyone is on their feet!

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
What a game! Everyone on their feet at the AFKATDC.

UtahDan
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Wow. The WCC sucks.

Flystripper
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
survive and advance

SeattleUte
03-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Wow. The WCC sucks.

lol. My 12 year old son just asked me why I want Gonzaga to lose. I said because it's in BYU's conference. He said, The ugly truth comes out. I thought you didn't care about BYU.

Flystripper
03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
lol. My 12 year old son just asked me why I want Gonzaga to lose. I said because it's in BYU's conference. He said, The ugly truth comes out. I thought you didn't care about BYU.

wow, really?

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Arizona-Belmont game has been a snoozer.....until that six point play.

mpfunk
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Cal is getting absolutely screwed over by the officials. Cal still being up while playing 5 on 8 proves that Cal deserved a much better seed and UNLV was way over seeded.

Pac-12 is stepping up and proving that they didn't get enough respect. Hopefully that helps get some extra respect next year.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Ready for this game to be over. Bring on the Trust Fund Babies versus the Meth Babies.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Lots of LOOBS here, but lots of folks heading out. Long day.

Applejack
03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Is UNLV always this stagnant on offense? It seems that they keep forcing it into the post which results in forced shots.

Applejack
03-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Cal trying to give it away....

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Lots of LOOBS here, but lots of folks heading out. Long day.

Have you seen Snake?

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Cal trying to give it away....

They damn near did. Up 7 with 25 seconds left shouldn't be that stressful.

Jeromy in SLC
03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Have you seen Snake?

No, but there are plenty if look-alikes.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
VCU looked good destroying Akron.

CSU en route to the MWC's first win of the tourney.

Harvard hanging tough with UNM.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Harvard up late. Hopefully Jeromy is cheering appropriately.

Jarid in Cedar
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Heh

OrangeUte
03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Harvard pulls the upset. I didn't think they had enough left in their tank toward the end of the 2nd half. Good sized upset.

Rocker Ute
03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
I'll wait until the morning for a final ruling, but I may have reached a point where 12 straight hours of live basketball might barely be too much. I wish Southern would have pulled it off for obvious reasons, but also because they had the best band of all the schools. Pitt/Wichita St game was some of the most awful basketball on the offensive I've seen in a long time... well at least two years before we got a new coach. However, I think Wich. St may just give fits to the Zags. They played some pretty tough defense and were physical. I don't know how good the Zags are dealing with that.

My brother and I looked at the Harvard fan section and commented that they probably controlled half of America. It still didn't stop me from wanting to give them all an atomic wedgie. That was a fun win to see.

Arizona finally seems to be playing to their potential. Some pretty amazing athletes on that team, in fact they may have the best of anyone playing at ESA. They play like they did tonight and they will go far.

I miss the tournament at the JMHC, but I don't miss the visible man stank haze cloud that would form in there by game 4. Holding these games in a pro arena just reminds me of how terribly pro basketball has hurt the entire game.

This is the best time of the year hands down. I can't wait until we are back dancing again.

SoCalPat
03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
I'll wait until the morning for a final ruling, but I may have reached a point where 12 straight hours of live basketball might barely be too much. I wish Southern would have pulled it off for obvious reasons, but also because they had the best band of all the schools. Pitt/Wichita St game was some of the most awful basketball on the offensive I've seen in a long time... well at least two years before we got a new coach. However, I think Wich. St may just give fits to the Zags. They played some pretty tough defense and were physical. I don't know how good the Zags are dealing with that.

I will be shocked (cheap pun intended) if Gregg Marshall isn't coaching in a power league next year. Mark Turgeon parlayed lesser success at WSU into a job at Texas A&M. I do not want Marshall at USC next year.

LA Ute
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
I just walked in on the last minute or so of the Georgetown game. What a shocker. Sorry, SU!

UtahDan
03-23-2013, 05:12 AM
I just walked in on the last minute or so of the Georgetown game. What a shocker. Sorry, SU!

Jt3 is not a good in game coach. The Hoyas have consistently underperformed in the tourny under him.

Solon
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Jt3 is not a good in game coach. The Hoyas have consistently underperformed in the tourny under him.

They've had several games this year when they just couldn't score. It felt like that kind of game.

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Michigan is absolutely rolling VCU

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
At TAFKATDC, let's see if Harvard plays more than seven players this game.

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 04:23 PM
At TAFKATDC, let's see if Harvard plays more than seven players this game.

Not a good start for the TFB's. 10-2 Cats at the first media timeout.

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 04:35 PM
We have the worlds most annoying person sitting behind us. I don't know how I can survive the next four hours when they AREN'T SERVING BEER!! Imagine being locked in a room with Digger Phelps for half the day.

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Sneak in a few shots

U-Ute
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Oregon continues their hot streak. They are playing very well right now.

Oregon 35 - St Louis 19 at the half.

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Sneak in a few shots

I left my gun at home.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Oregon continues their hot streak. They are playing very well right now.

Oregon 35 - St Louis 19 at the half.

That game wasn't even close.

Butler v. Marquette is shaping up for an exciting finish.

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Great finish coming with Butler-Marquette

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Hope you are cheering for the Shockers, Jer. :jealous:

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Hope you are cheering for the Shockers, Jer. :jealous:

We were cheering for a good game.....and the Shocks.

DrumNFeather
03-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Great finish coming with Butler-Marquette

Looked like Brad Stevens told Buzz Williams that they got away with a foul during the midcourt handshake...I've seen him do this before where he takes the opportunity to say something to the opposing coach if his team loses and he doesn't like something the other team did. If so he needs to grow up and be a little more professional.

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM
We were cheering for a good game.....and the Shocks.

Good on both counts.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Looked like Brad Stevens told Buzz Williams that they got away with a foul during the midcourt handshake...I've seen him do this before where he takes the opportunity to say something to the opposing coach if his team loses and he doesn't like something the other team did. If so he needs to grow up and be a little more professional.

My wife made the same comment about the after game handshake. Sad if true.

Oregon is a legitimate team and could take out Louisville next week.

Cuse came out with serious energy and is dominating Cal.

Zags were not a legit 1 seed. That being said, I have been waiting for Stockton's kid to have a dominating game - is this his senior year?

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Man, don't catch much Syracuse basketball, but their zone is about as awesome as their offense sucks. They are long and really close out on the shooters and passing lanes on defense.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Orange defense playing aggressive from the start or the game. If they keep up the 2-3 pressure and get more people involved in the offense they could be dangerous.

Cal making a run, though. It should get stifled.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Man, don't catch much Syracuse basketball, but their zone is about as awesome as their offense sucks. They are long and really close out on the shooters and passing lanes on defense.

Exactly. Their offense has been terrible the last few games but their are alive on defense and that length makes them tough to score against.

Cal is starting to run thought.

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like they are going to hold on.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Looks like they are going to hold on.

Up next is probably Indiana - those corn feeders always have ruined Boeheim's NC hopes. I hope the tables can be reversed this year.

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Just returned from the game. Honestly, the officials let Gonzaga back into the game the first five minutes of the second half.

But let me introduce you to the freakiest mascot ever.

It looks like Lady Elaine mated with a corn cob.

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I have to say, my wife and I have attended the games in SLC the last four times. And by and large, this has been some of the most boring games. Well, any game Arizona was in was boring. They flat out took care of business.

OrangeUte
03-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Just returned from the game. Honestly, the officials let Gonzaga back into the game the first five minutes of the second half.

Isn't the mascot supposed to be a piece of wheat?

Jeromy in SLC
03-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Isn't the mascot supposed to be a piece of wheat?

Yes. A shock of wheat. Its "hair" is suppose to be the fuzzy stuff on the top. I couldn't take my eyes off the thing.

Rocker Ute
03-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Looks like we were sitting pretty close to each other. That thing was creepy as hell. Hard to believe that Gonzaga couldn't put down Wichita State. WSt. is the biggest example of garbage basketball I've ever seen and their number is about to come. Watching their offense, shot selection, etc made me cringe and have flashbacks of the Boylen years. The whole breakdown 1 on 1 crap drives me nuts.

Secondly, I used to wish we could get a crack at Mark Few as our coach, but it seems that year after year they continue to disappoint in the tournament. Hard to understand why they remain media darlings.

Thirdly, Stockton-lite was fun to watch. Incredible passer like his dad, moves around the court just like his dad, super weird looking shot.

Fourthly, I heard from a good source at the game that the U is currently undertaking a study about the JMHC, renovate or rebuild... a complete rebuild would be in the 200-300M range, but a renovate may not be feasible.

Finally, heard from a someone who said that Chris Hill told them that the tournament will be back at JMHC next time. The feeling with the NCAA is they want to get the first rounds back on college floors. I hope that is the case, I much prefer the JMHC over ESA for these games.

SeattleUte
03-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Looks like we were sitting pretty close to each other. That thing was creepy as hell. Hard to believe that Gonzaga couldn't put down Wichita State. WSt. is the biggest example of garbage basketball I've ever seen and their number is about to come. Watching their offense, shot selection, etc made me cringe and have flashbacks of the Boylen years. The whole breakdown 1 on 1 crap drives me nuts.

Secondly, I used to wish we could get a crack at Mark Few as our coach, but it seems that year after year they continue to disappoint in the tournament. Hard to understand why they remain media darlings.

Thirdly, Stockton-lite was fun to watch. Incredible passer like his dad, moves around the court just like his dad, super weird looking shot.

Fourthly, I heard from a good source at the game that the U is currently undertaking a study about the JMHC, renovate or rebuild... a complete rebuild would be in the 200-300M range, but a renovate may not be feasible.

Finally, heard from a someone who said that Chris Hill told them that the tournament will be back at JMHC next time. The feeling with the NCAA is they want to get the first rounds back on college floors. I hope that is the case, I much prefer the JMHC over ESA for these games.

Few is an amazing coach. Have you been to Eastern Washington? It is totally isolated. And Gonzaga is a tiny Catholic college playing in that micro-conference with matchbox size gynasiums (except for the Marriot Center barn) that was totally ignored pretty much like the Big Sky until Monson and then Few put Gonzaga on the map.

Where are we gong to get 300 million $ to build a new basketball arena?

Rocker Ute
03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Few is an amazing coach. Have you been to Eastern Washington? It is totally isolated. And Gonzaga is a tiny Catholic college playing in that micro-conference with matchbox size gynasiums (except for the Marriot Center barn) that was totally ignored pretty much like the Big Sky until Monson and then Few put Gonzaga on the map.

Where are we gong to get 300 million $ to build a new basketball arena?

Brad Stevens is an amazing coach doing big things in a small school with nobody heard of with limited talent, Mark Few has proved he can't get anywhere in the dance with tremendous talent. At a point that has to mean something.

Good question on the $$$. I think the answer is it isn't going to happen.

SeattleUte
03-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Brad Stevens is an amazing coach doing big things in a small school with nobody heard of with limited talent, Mark Few has proved he can't get anywhere in the dance with tremendous talent. At a point that has to mean something.

Good question on the $$$. I think the answer is it isn't going to happen.

"Trememdous talent"? Gonzaga has not done more becaue it lacks talent. There is always a big guy who can score, but this season Gonzaga does not have 1/10 the athleticism of Syracuse or even UNLV nor anywhere near the depth of these teams. Gonzaga cold not possibly recruit tremendous talent to Spokane. Butler is an urban university, located in Indianapolis, a basketball hotbed within spitting distance of Chicago. It's joining the Big East next season and has been in the Atlantic 10, probably the strongest mid major year in and out.

Rocker Ute
03-24-2013, 05:59 AM
"Trememdous talent"? Gonzaga has not done more becaue it lacks talent. There is always a big guy who can score, but this season Gonzaga does not have 1/10 the athleticism of Syracuse or even UNLV nor anywhere near the depth of these teams. Gonzaga cold not possibly recruit tremendous talent to Spokane. Butler is an urban university, located in Indianapolis, a basketball hotbed within spitting distance of Chicago. It's joining the Big East next season and has been in the Atlantic 10, probably the strongest mid major year in and out.

Other than a geographical advantage (and yes I have been to Eastern Washington) Gonzaga and Butler are pretty similar. Small student body (Gonzaga is ~7000 to Butler's ~4000). Smaller athletics budgets, etc.

As far as 'tremendous talent' Gonzaga has had Dan Dickau, Adam Morrison, Austin Daye, Kelly Olynyk all first round (or potential first round picks) to name a few off the top of my head vs. Gordon Hayward. Not to mention that Butler was in the Horizon league until last year, and in the shadow of Indiana U. Gonzaga has enjoyed being in the limelight since their surprise tourney run in 1999, yet consistently under performs their seeding almost every year. Butler has been in the championship game 2x in the past 3 years significantly overshooting their seeding.

Butler has done more with less easily.

I'm not saying that Few isn't good and hasn't done good things at Gonzaga, but like I originally said, continuing to under perform in the tournament has to mean something. I'm just saying when it comes to Few, don't believe the hype.

LA Ute
03-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Let us also remember that Mark Few was a key player in convincing Hill to hire Ray Giacoletti.

UtahDan
03-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Wow. The WCC sucks.

Bump.

LA Ute
03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
But the WCC always has a higher collective RPI than the PAC-12! ;)

Rocker Ute
03-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Let us also remember that Mark Few was a key player in convincing Hill to hire Ray Giacoletti.

On a side note, I saw that Giac went out of his way to go and shake Chris Hill's hand last night before the game started. I thought that was pretty interesting.

LA Ute
03-24-2013, 08:58 AM
On a side note, I saw that Giac went out of his way to go and shake Chris Hill's hand last night before the game started. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Giac did not leave Utah with bad feelings and really was dealt with pretty gently.

SeattleUte
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Giac and Boylen are like night and day. I react to Boylen like Steve Martin in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid when he hears cleaning woman. Giac kept the team together after a lot of turmoil following Majerus, gave us a Sweet 16, and left a good start for Boylen. Boylen, on the other hand, as U-U adroitly put it, left us a moonscape. With boylen you never saw evidence of coaching. There was some coaching going on vs. Oklahoma in the second round Bogut's final season. Boylen thought that the way you succeed is shmoozing Utefans and UteZone. He even planted pitiful stories in the press about his family to try to attract sympathy and prevent his firing. It was infuriating reading his shills on utefans and other Internet sites repeat the same mantra -- the problem is the practice facilities, Rick Majerus destroyed the program, Chris Hll is a bastard, nobody could do any better in this abysmal situation and Boylen has a plan. The coaching staff must have handed out a script. His teams' work ethic sucked; more than anything they were chaotic.

Then he tried to destroy the program on his way out the door. He didn't have to do much to incite mass transfers, however, because his established MO was to end with a team that did nothing but get worse and playes so lacking confidence in him and so traumatized by the experience playing for him that they transfered in mass. There was nothing at all professional or competent about Boylen. I really loath the guy; to the extent I feel anything but hard feelings and rage at Boylen it's pity at his being ultimately just a buffoon. Monson captured him pefectly in that long article just before Boylen was fired, describing him at breakfas speaking loudly and spraying his food.

I can forgive Hill's Giac bad hire. He should have seen Boylan was a charlatan and a buffon two minutes into the original interview. I felt ill after Boylen's original press conference when he promised a dynasty. We should all always cheer against Tom Izzo, who must have known he was giving a fraudulent recommendation to Chris Hill.

GarthUte
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
My wife made the same comment about the after game handshake. Sad if true.

Oregon is a legitimate team and could take out Louisville next week.

Cuse came out with serious energy and is dominating Cal.

Zags were not a legit 1 seed. That being said, I have been waiting for Stockton's kid to have a dominating game - is this his senior year?

He's a redshirt junior.

Solon
03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Clyburn is tearing it up for Iowa State vs. Ohio State.
It's the former-Ute all-stars in this tourney. :(

Jarid in Cedar
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Clutch shot by Craft ftw. ISU has some officiating grips for certain.

scottie
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Just looked it up -- Thad Matta is 45 years old, I would have guessed 55.

Solon
03-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Yep.
The offensive fouls in this tournament are beyond annoying. Teams are having enough trouble scoring without rewarding every flop (see: Gonzaga) or semi-set defender.

It was a rough weekend for the Jesuits - Gonzaga, St. Louis, Georgetown all lost. Only Marquette survived. I blame the new Pope.

OrangeUte
03-24-2013, 01:43 PM

He irritates me for some reason but Craft can flat out play. I don't see Ohio State getting past Arizona, though.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-24-2013, 02:54 PM
It was a rough weekend for the Jesuits - Gonzaga, St. Louis, Georgetown all lost. Only Marquette survived. I blame the new Pope.

:clap: I love Solon.

edit-I wish we had the same smile tags as CUF, I'm not smart enough to remember multiple tags. Help me LaUte, you're my only hope!

LA Ute
03-24-2013, 03:03 PM
No charge, HFN.

DrumNFeather
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
North Carolina has completely forgotten how to play basketball in the second half of this game.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Miami is starting to get some momentum to close out what has been a close game. There have been quite a few exciting finishes today.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM

I'm a Wichita State fan and alum, so take this with a grain of salt, but when you liken the Shockers to Boylen, you lost all right to ever be taken seriously on basketball.

U-Ute
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm a Wichita State fan and alum, so take this with a grain of salt, but when you liken the Shockers to Boylen, you lost all right to ever be taken seriously on basketball.

They do play lose on the offensive end, but they make up for it by playing extremely hard on the defensive end. That's where they are winning games. Well, that and sinking the 3.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
They do play lose on the offensive end, but they make up for it by playing extremely hard on the defensive end. That's where they are winning games. Well, that and sinking the 3.

It's what you get after losing a bunch of four-year guys from last year's tournament team, and replacing them with impact JUCOs and D-1 transfers.

Says a lot about Marshall that he's consistently won at WSU and has fielded all kinds of talent and styles. Who the hell cares about style as long as you win?

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks Pat, your opinion on all things basketball and tendency to be correct is duly noted and I'll accept your mea culpa about this subject too when that comes. How many times have you told me my opinion on basketball isn't valid now?

So are you saying they don't do the 1 on 1 breakdown poor shot selection game? Are they even in the Gonzaga game if they don't shoot out of their heads? They shot 50% from the 3, and 34% for the season.

Sorry dude, it is garbage basketball on the offensive side. As mentioned in this thread, their D is impressive, O not so much.

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
7 in a row to close out Gonzaga, including the dagger on the prayer rainmaker from the freshman. He couldn't hit that shot again with that defense given 100 tries.

That frosh kid was so money that whole game, we were drooling over him. Okay, I'll take it back, garbage ball except that kid, he was every long time Runnin' Ute fan's dream player.

SeattleUte
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
No offense to Pat. I think Lasalle beats Wichita.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks Pat, your opinion on all things basketball and tendency to be correct is duly noted and I'll accept your mea culpa about this subject too when that comes. How many times have you told me my opinion on basketball isn't valid now?

So are you saying they don't do the 1 on 1 breakdown poor shot selection game? Are they even in the Gonzaga game if they don't shoot out of their heads? They shot 50% from the 3, and 34% for the season.

Sorry dude, it is garbage basketball on the offensive side. As mentioned in this thread, their D is impressive, O not so much.

Save for his first season, WSU has been a big winner under Marshall. You can pretend you're some kind of basketball purist, but your criticisms carry zero merit.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM

No offense taken. I really think the winner of WSU-Lasalle takes down Arizona to get to the Final Four.

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Save for his first season, WSU has been a big winner under Marshall. You can pretend you're some kind of basketball purist, but your criticisms carry zero merit.

I'll put my track record against yours any day of the week.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I'll put my track record against yours any day of the week.

Good. We'll start with your comparison of Wichita State's offensive sets to what Boylen ran at Utah. One has resulted in five straight postseason appearances, the other couldn't even last four seasons at Utah.

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Good. We'll start with your comparison of Wichita State's offensive sets to what Boylen ran at Utah. One has resulted in five straight postseason appearances, the other couldn't even last four seasons at Utah.

You don't think they have the same style of play? There are a number of teams who do the one on one breakdown, some with success. But Wichita proved they needed to shoot out of their minds to move past Gonzaga. That won't hold up, it didn't against Pitt.

On another note, back before the economy tanked there were a handful of guys who saw it coming, but needed to figure out a way to essential short the banks, mortgage lenders and their insurers. Once they figured out how to do that, the question was, "Who is stupid enough to be buying the other side?"

So one of these guys happens to meet one of these guys on the other side and has the fortune to have dinner with him. After dinner he says to the person who arranged the dinner, "I want to know every trade that guy makes so I can do the opposite."

I do the same thing with you.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
You don't think they have the same style of play? There are a number of teams who do the one on one breakdown, some with success. But Wichita proved they needed to shoot out of their minds to move past Gonzaga. That won't hold up, it didn't against Pitt.

On another note, back before the economy tanked there were a handful of guys who saw it coming, but needed to figure out a way to essential short the banks, mortgage lenders and their insurers. Once they figured out how to do that, the question was, "Who is stupid enough to be buying the other side?"

So one of these guys happens to meet one of these guys on the other side and has the fortune to have dinner with him. After dinner he says to the person who arranged the dinner, "I want to know every trade that guy makes so I can do the opposite."

I do the same thing with you.

When you liken WSU to what Boylen did at Utah, trust me, I hardly lose any sleep about you going the opposite way of what I think. In fact, it pretty much justifies I know what I'm talking about and you don't.

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
When you liken WSU to what Boylen did at Utah, trust me, I hardly lose any sleep about you going the opposite way of what I think. In fact, it pretty much justifies I know what I'm talking about and you don't.

Okay. I lose sleep over you, because I care. I really care.

You of course aren't getting that I'm not talking about respective records of the two coaches, I'm talking about style of play. But I've often wondered how much Utah ball you have actually watched vs looking at box scores.

You are the lovable angry clown. Has there ever been an easier person to troll than you in the history of Utah message boards?

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Okay. I lose sleep over you, because I care. I really care.

You of course aren't getting that I'm not talking about respective records of the two coaches, I'm talking about style of play. But I've often wondered how much Utah ball you have actually watched vs looking at box scores.

You are the lovable angry clown. Has there ever been an easier person to troll than you in the history of Utah message boards?

Ahh, the "I can't back up what I say, so I'll resort to name-calling and say that my earlier opinions shouldn't be taken seriously, because I was trying to troll someone."

Have you even watched WSU at all prior to Saturday?

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah. Thursday. That game was even worse.

When did I name call? I said you were lovable.

For the record I cheered for your alma matter in both games. I loved that freshman kid, he was off the hook. I respect their defense, it was disruptive and ultimately won the game for them against Pitt, but that also had to be one of the worst games I've watched in all the tournament games I've ever attended in person. I was certainly not the only person who felt that way on Thursday either.

I should stop here this is gonna keep me up all night just BURNING with rage. I'm so mad.

SoCalPat
03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah. Thursday. That game was even worse.

When did I name call? I said you were lovable.

For the record I cheered for your alma matter in both games. I loved that freshman kid, he was off the hook. I respect their defense, it was disruptive and ultimately won the game for them against Pitt, but that also had to be one of the worst games I've watched in all the tournament games I've ever attended in person. I was certainly not the only person who felt that way on Thursday either.

I should stop here this is gonna keep me up all night just BURNING with rage. I'm so mad.

Hey, no hard feelings (I should have made it clear earlier that your assessment of WSU's mascot was pretty much spot on -- it probably would've taken off some of the edge of my comments). I just flat-out didn't get the WSU-Boylen comparison. I know you're talking styles, but styles take a backseat to W-L. And if Marshall's style could win at Winthrop and WSU, it could probably win in the MWC or Pac-12. So now, we're not talking about coaches, but talent that can make that style work.

I thought Jimmy needed to be fired. I'm bothered by the mindset that he is a lesser basketball mind/coach because he couldn't cut it at Utah. When that mindset was put on the same level as a very successful WSU team, that set me off. I don't expect all U. fans to know WSU's history or even what kind of team it was last year, when it made the tournament with a bunch of players that have since graduated. And yes, I get that you were trying to draw a parallel that most here would understand. I'm probably just the last fan that would get that parallel, given how much I follow both schools. If you told me I was the only Utah-WSU combo degree holder on the planet, I can't say I would be shocked (pun intended).

Rocker Ute
03-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey, no hard feelings (I should have made it clear earlier that your assessment of WSU's mascot was pretty much spot on -- it probably would've taken off some of the edge of my comments). I just flat-out didn't get the WSU-Boylen comparison. I know you're talking styles, but styles take a backseat to W-L. And if Marshall's style could win at Winthrop and WSU, it could probably win in the MWC or Pac-12. So now, we're not talking about coaches, but talent that can make that style work.

I thought Jimmy needed to be fired. I'm bothered by the mindset that he is a lesser basketball mind/coach because he couldn't cut it at Utah. When that mindset was put on the same level as a very successful WSU team, that set me off. I don't expect all U. fans to know WSU's history or even what kind of team it was last year, when it made the tournament with a bunch of players that have since graduated. And yes, I get that you were trying to draw a parallel that most here would understand. I'm probably just the last fan that would get that parallel, given how much I follow both schools. If you told me I was the only Utah-WSU combo degree holder on the planet, I can't say I would be shocked (pun intended).

I don't disagree on style taking a back seat to W - L at all, and I actually think that if Boylen could have got some athletes in to run that style he would have had some more success (along with some discipline).

Now keep in mind I acknowledge that I am very conditioned by Majerus style ball, so I much prefer a more disciplined style of play and good shot selection. I like teams in the tournament that play that style of ball and think they tend to get deeper into the tournament. However there is ample evidence that those WSU systems work with the right athletes in them. Calipari comes to mind with that.

I hate to watch teams that live and die by hot shooting. It is a high risk and also high reward system. A team with the style of play we are discussing can beat any team on any given night, but also lose to any given team.

scottie
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Jimmy Fallon last night in his monologue:

This is what everyone is talking about, that giant upset in the NCAA tournament -- San Diego State lost to Florida Gulf Coast University. Yep, Florida Gulf Coast University. Even the University of Phoenix online was like, Who??

U-Ute
03-28-2013, 04:41 PM
The view of the big screen in Cowboy Stadium is pretty good..

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/photo-this-is-what-the-dallas-cowboys-stadium-looks-like-for-the-sweet-16/bgdhrs_ceaa8ljt/

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Shockers running a layup drill vs LaSalle. Up 14-2 with no basket coming outside of 5 feet

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Jimmy Fallon last night in his monologue:

Awesome!

GO 'CUSE!!!!!

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Michael Carter Williams is awesome! That move was absolutely amazing!

FN Phat
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Mc-w!

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Mc-w!

Boom! Loving this game.

FN Phat
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Boom! Loving this game.

Where has this team been the last 3/4 of the season? It is nice to see this team jump out to a lead and then play to keep it. I am getting giddy about this team next year. MCW will be one of the best pg in the league, Christmas and Coleman will be men amongst boys and I expect Cooney to step in Triches roll. If CJ Fair stays, it will be a great team to start in the ACC

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Down goes #1! Sweet game Orange! I love watching the syracuse 2-3 Zone.

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Where has this team been the last 3/4 of the season? It is nice to see this team jump out to a lead and then play to keep it. I am getting giddy about this team next year. MCW will be one of the best pg in the league, Christmas and Coleman will be men amongst boys and I expect Cooney to step in Triches roll. If CJ Fair stays, it will be a great team to start in the ACC

Exactly. They are pretty loaded. I just hope Boeheim doesn't decide to retire after winning the NC this year.

SeattleUte
03-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Jesus. What a pathetic performance by Indiana. They seemed outmanned and resigned to defeat from the start. Didn't even press when things got desperate. Crean is no Bobby Knight, apparently.

SeattleUte
03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Boy, I tell you, life aint fair. I've no doubt that Jim Boeheim is a total creep, that he cheats, and that there have been sexual orgies between Bernie Fine and ball boys. I can't lay eyes on Boeheim without shuddering. I'm glad they're out of the Big East. I know the NCAA is hot on them. God speed NCAA. I despise Syracuse worse then BYU.

OrangeUte
03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Boy, I tell you, life aint fair. I've no doubt that Jim Boeheim is a total creep, that he cheats, and that there have been sexual orgies between Bernie Fine and ball boys. I can't lay eyes on Boeheim without shuddering. I'm glad they're out of the Big East. I know the NCAA is hot on them. God speed NCAA. I despise Syracuse worse then BYU.

Boeheim > Thompson (either of them)

SeattleUte
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Boeheim cheats, and he has one final four in a zillion years. God speed Marquette.

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Clank

Rocker Ute
03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Wichita put on a clinic. Congrats to your Shockers Pat. I'd kill everyone on this message board for the frosh kid on the Utes.

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Did either of the Thompsons leave their faithful wives for a younger woman?

SeattleUte
03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Clank

I have a tender spot for the shockers; it's part of my history. I'll tell you about it sometime. I'd love to see them beat OS.

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Wichita put on a clinic. Congrats to your Shockers Pat. I'd kill everyone on this message board for the frosh kid on the Utes.

Ron Baker is from Scott City, the Kansas equivalent of Green River or Roosevelt. You never know where you can find players.

SeattleUte
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Did either of the Thompsons leave their faithful wives for a younger woman?

Like Paterno Boeheim will get his richly deserved karma. You watch. He's evil.

JT Jr. is divorced. I don't know the back story, and don't care.

FN Phat
03-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Exactly. They are pretty loaded. I just hope Boeheim doesn't decide to retire after winning the NC this year.

When discussing retirement, Jimmy mentioned that he is looking forward to the challenges that the ACC will bring and is thinking about staying a few years to see what it will be about. That can all change in a moments notice, especially when SU gets revenge on Louisville for the NC!

I hope that GMac stays on board. I am hearing good things about Gerry as an assistant and you can see the chemistry that he has with the players, especially MCW

FN Phat
03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Like Paterno Boeheim will get his richly deserved karma. You watch. He's evil.

JT Jr. is divorced. I don't know the back story, and don't care.

Jealousy is an ugly monster.

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
If you aggregate recruiting classes over the years -- which is really what matters most -- no question Syracuse always has the most raw basketball talent in the country. I wonder why. Syracuse is so loaded with basketball talent and athleticism that it can play the lazy man's zone defense 100% of the time and be formiddable on that end. That defense will not become fashionable because who else has so many of those kinds of long talented basketball players. Syracuse actually has underperformed relative to the enormous quantities of super-skilled basketball players it has had over the years. At Utah we have no concept what that's like. We'd kill to have one of those 7 or 8 Syracuse players who execute that zone. Syracuse is a pro team.

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Regardless, it's clear that football has killed the greatest college basketball conference of all time (yes, that's true, LA, even now with all those underclass NBA rookies). We may never again see a basketball conference as awesome as the old Big East.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Regardless, it's clear that football has killed the greatest college basketball conference of all time (yes, that's true, LA, even now with all those underclass NBA rookies). We may never again see a basketball conference as awesome as the old Big East.

This I agree with 100%.

FN Phat
03-29-2013, 10:04 AM

I can finally agree with you on something. It is sad to see what has happened to the BE

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM
If you aggregate recruiting classes over the years -- which is really what matters most -- no question Syracuse always has the most raw basketball talent in the country. I wonder why. Syracuse is so loaded with basketball talent and athleticism that it can play the lazy man's zone defense 100% of the time and be formiddable on that end. That defense will not become fashionable because who else has so many of those kinds of long talented basketball players. Syracuse actually has underperformed relative to the enormous quantities of super-skilled basketball players it has had over the years. At Utah we have no concept what that's like. We'd kill to have one of those 7 or 8 Syracuse players who execute that zone. Syracuse is a pro team.

If you have ever been to Syracuse between December 1st and May 1st, you know what a miracle Boeheim has performed each and every single time he gets a major recruit to commit to play for the Orange. Charges of scuzziness and coaching capabilities aside, he has proven to be an incredible recruiter.

FN Phat
03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
If you have ever been to Syracuse between December 1st and May 1st, you know what a miracle Boeheim has performed each and every single time he gets a major recruit to commit to play for the Orange. Charges of scuzziness and coaching capabilities aside, he has proven to be an incredible recruiter.

Yup. Fewest days of sunshine in the nation, behind Seattle. The summers are great though

FN Phat
03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Louisville laying the wood on Oregon. UL looks like the team to beat.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Yup. Fewest days of sunshine in the nation, behind Seattle. The summers are great though

the short spring and autumn are awesome too. it really is a great place. i remember reading about boeheim and pitino out on vacation with their wives and they were talking about where they wanted to retire. everyone said new york city or hawaii or somesuch wonderful place. boeheim said "syracuse." he is as committed to the city and university as you could ever hope a coach would be.

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Georgetown's record against Louisville (1-0), Syracuse (2-1) and Marquette (1-1): 4-2. Total net MOV +39 pts.

Gave up 54 in the second half against FGC.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Louisville laying the wood on Oregon. UL looks like the team to beat.

I was just hoping that they would put up a fight, they've tried but been dominated inside. All dreams must end.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Michigan with a huge comeback to force overtime. Wow.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
McGary is playing lights out. He has hit some huge shots for Michigan. Wow!

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 08:05 PM
That was a foul.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Man - Kansas had a great lane and kicked it out for a 3. Blown opportunity. Great come from behind win by Michigan.

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Man - Kansas had a great lane and kicked it out for a 3. Blown opportunity. Great come from behind win by Michigan.

Could have tied it. Things even out; Kansas is the luckiest team in college basketball. Remember the NC game vs. Memphis. It was like this game.

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I was thinking when Burke hit that monster 3. "The NBA has completely destroyed college basketball. LA is right."

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Could have tied it. Things even out; Kansas is the luckiest team in college basketball. Remember the NC game vs. Memphis. It was like this game.

Sometimes you just have to go for the tie and not for the win. Can always win with drama - more often you win by gutting it out.

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 08:40 PM
I was thinking when Burke hit that monster 3. "The NBA has completely destroyed college basketball. LA is right."

Haha!

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Now we just need a duke loss. That would make me very happy. Also a Florida Gulf Coast University win would be fantastic.

LA Ute
03-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Ha! How many really smart and educated people agree with you?

OrangeUte
03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Fgcu went into a protect mode. They need to get a tempo going and feed off the momentum or Florida will crush them.

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Come on Orange! Kill these chumps in the second half!

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Finally starting to get some offense going. Despite a huge deficit on the boards we are still up. Luckily Marquette is completely cold, and the cuse is finally starting to get a offensive run going

LA Ute
03-30-2013, 06:45 PM
I just got back from a whale-watching excursion and tuned in to a shocking Wichita State-Ohio State score. It looks like OSU has melted down. I'm happy for SoCalPat and for lovers of underdogs everywhere.

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I just got back from a whale-watching excursion and tuned in to a shocking Wichita State-Ohio State score. It looks like OSU has melted down. I'm happy for SoCalPat and for lovers of underdogs everywhere.

Yes - wsu is an exciting team and I'm happy for them. They are walloping OSU right now. Sweetness!

SoCalPat
03-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Thank you. Sometime when I have a chance over the next couple of days, I will give the Shocker perspective on what all of this means.

LA Ute
03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
I like this Vanvleet kid.

FN Phat
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Finally starting to get some offense going. Despite a huge deficit on the boards we are still up. Luckily Marquette is completely cold, and the cuse is finally starting to get a offensive run going

:jig: Final Four :jig:

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 07:34 PM
:jig: Final Four :jig:

Boeheim and the boys! Very exciting for New York's team!

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Wichita State almost doing everything they can to throw this away.

LA Ute
03-30-2013, 07:37 PM
This Wichita State-OSU game symbolizes what I love about college hoops and the NCAA Tournament.

OrangeUte
03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Awesome Gameday today.

CardiacCoug
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
BYU vs. Baylor in MSG. Go Cougs!

Moliere
04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
:rave:

CardiacCoug
04-02-2013, 05:56 PM
BYU 0-6 from 3-point range and still just down 2 at halftime. I'll take it.

Hope Carlino and Zylstra (wishful thinking?) catch fire in the second half.

Diehard Ute
04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
BYU 0-6 from 3-point range and still just down 2 at halftime. I'll take it.

Hope Carlino and Zylstra (wishful thinking?) catch fire in the second half.

In the literal sense? ;)

LA Ute
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
This BYU NIT talk here, by BYU fans, is polluting our board.

CardiacCoug
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM

Carlino hits a 3 finally. Reminds me of a few of the 3s he hit against the Utes. Davies bricking FTs.

This will probably be a close game all the way to the end.

OrangeUte
04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Carlino hits a 3 finally. Reminds me of a few of the 3s he hit against the Utes. Davies bricking FTs.

This will probably be a close game all the way to the end.

You are right. This is a slug fest. Was a 4th foul just called on Davies?

LA Ute
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Carlino hits a 3 finally. Reminds me of a few of the 3s he hit against the Utes.

Low.

OrangeUte
04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Jefferson is a tough player to guard. Jackson is quick and Austin is long long long.

OrangeUte
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Holy carlino!

Viking
04-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Just because Creekster treated you like trash, doesn't mean the rest of us will.

OrangeUte
04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
That was almost an unexpected comeback. Congrats on an nit final 4 finish in your rebuilding year, Cougs. Davies was outclassed tonight. Carlino was hot at the end while Haws was just okay at the end of the game.

LA Ute
04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
That was almost an unexpected comeback. Congrats on an nit final 4 finish in your rebuilding year, Cougs. Davies was outclassed tonight. Carlino was hot at the end while Haws was just okay at the end of the game.

True. The Cougs have something very positive to point to, looking back at this season. That makes the off-season much more enjoyable.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 07:44 PM
GO ORANGE!!!!!! Defense is finally starting to click and offense not as sluggish as I had feared.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 07:56 PM
This Michigan team seems more unbothered by the zone than I expected.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 07:56 PM
It seems like Michigan is rotating players in and out if this game frequently. Are they that deep?

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Damn that Rob Riggle looking center for Michigan.

Jarid in Cedar
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Michigan is on fire.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Is Jimmer coaching Michigan's guards?

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Sorry Orange, but the 4th matchup this season between Louisville and Syracuse would be a rather anti-climatic final.

You're talking nonsense. Everyone loves watching Big East hoops. And, Boeheim is America's darling - just ask SeattleUte. The matchup would be phenomenal.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
CJ Fair needs to come out gunning. Spark the offense and the D needs to watch its back. They got caught drifting a few times in the first half.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Big possession here w lead cut down to 6.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Yes! Michigan finally running out of luck on the Jimmer 3s.

Newbomb Turk
04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
How is that not a foul on Fair?

Newbomb Turk
04-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Okay, they changed it.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Michigan is killing us on the boards. These deep 3s are amazing.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:10 PM
McGary is proving to be patient and smart.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Looks like cuse is just dialing it in now. That pass and turnover was just pathetic. No urgency and no apparent game plan.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
BS call.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Wire game after that huge 3?

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
2 guards fouling out? Weird.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Wow. Charge? I don't know - close call. I think the ball needs to be in Southerland's hands down low and try to draw the foul.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Brilliant play call syracuse.

LA Ute
04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Sorry, Orange. It looked like your guys might pull that one out. I don't know which team to cheer for now in the final.

FN Phat
04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
That last play call was bullshit. The block against MCWILLIAMS was bullshit. The charge call when the defender slide under was bullshit. Refs should not determine the outcome of the game.

FN Phat
04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Syracuse was in it at the end because with about 3-4 minutes left, they started playing very physical pressing defense and got away with a lot of reaching and grabbing. Seems fair that there were a couple of iffy calls. The charge may or may not have been a bad call, but it was consistent with how charge/blocks have been called all tournament long.

I agree with it being a physical end of game. Look at what McGary did all game long. He slapped at every rebound, creating contact each time. So be it. More the reason the calls I questioned above were bullshit. The referring at the end of this game was anything but consistent.

OrangeUte
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree with that. In addition to the ones you mentioned, they also missed a call on a Michigan fast break with a couple minutes left. Missed calls all over in the last couple minutes.

Michigan sure tried to give that game away.

And syracuse couldn't set up a play offensively to save their lives. I saw very little that resembled a game plan offensively by the Orange. That last play made absolutely no sense. This was just a frustrating game. The officials certainly were inconsistent but then again New York's college team didn't exactly execute. Throw in those gigantic 3s by Richmond et al and Michigan just outplayed us.

I'm proud of this team. Triche and Southerland will be missed. Losing 2 big offensive weapons to fouls hurt at the end but it just wasn't a great offensive game anyway.

Final Four during a year that the team really struggled with consistency is a great result. The defense during the tourney was spectacular and mc Williams and fair are going to be stars. I wish we could have seen more of Coleman during this game since his bulk may have helped neutralize McG.

Anyway - good game cuse! Can't be too disappointed with a final 4 finish.

FN Phat
04-07-2013, 11:51 AM
And syracuse couldn't set up a play offensively to save their lives. I saw very little that resembled a game plan offensively by the Orange. That last play made absolutely no sense. This was just a frustrating game. The officials certainly were inconsistent but then again New York's college team didn't exactly execute. Throw in those gigantic 3s by Richmond et al and Michigan just outplayed us.

I'm proud of this team. Triche and Southerland will be missed. Losing 2 big offensive weapons to fouls hurt at the end but it just wasn't a great offensive game anyway.

Final Four during a year that the team really struggled with consistency is a great result. The defense during the tourney was spectacular and mc Williams and fair are going to be stars. I wish we could have seen more of Coleman during this game since his bulk may have helped neutralize McG.

Anyway - good game cuse! Can't be too disappointed with a final 4 finish.

Exactly where I am at. People were predicting a 2nd round exit and it made sense. I was hoping (and am on record as saying) that the Cuse was going to win the Big East Tourney (had it in the first half) and make a deep run in the NCAAs. I am very excited for this team next year, especially if CJ stays put. To be in a position to win the game when Williams had a tough night and Southerland was non existent besides the late 3, is damn impressive. I'll end the season on that as long as this team learns from it and fuels them going into the ACC.

tooblue
04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with that. In addition to the ones you mentioned, they also missed a call on a Michigan fast break with a couple minutes left. Missed calls all over in the last couple minutes.

Michigan sure tried to give that game away.

I can't defend any of the late calls, except to say the charge call was a good call. It's just unfortunate because it came amid a series of other poor calls.

The Orange played a good game. It would've been fun to watch their size and athleticism contend with Louisville's press. I will be cheering for Michigan but, I don't think they are going to beat Louisville precisely because they won't be able to handle the press.

tooblue
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
So let me ask your ref's opinion on the press. Watching Louisville this tournament, I have noticed a pattern in their press. When they are allowed a very physical press with lots of bumping and contact, Pitino pours it on. When the press is being called more tightly, Pitino calls it off. Seems to me that most presses are about as effective as the officials allow them to be. Is it hard to officiate a press? Do you feel that full court presses are officiated inconsistently?

The full court press isn't much different than any other system of defence. Teams, if permitted to play physically, will pour it on in a good half court defence as much as with the press. The key difference is the notion of advantage. Sometimes, over aggressive play by a pressing defence results in officials, in an interest in keeping the game fair, awarding a call advantage to the offensive team. Or, often they let the ticky tack stuff go if the offensive player can maintain composure and control of the ball ... the ability to handle the physical play, run 10 seconds off the clock late in a game and then get a foul call as the shot clock winds down is a huge advantage.

Of course the team on offence has to keep it's head, make plays and foul shots. In my experience that's not often what happens. Teams being pressed begin to play timid and expect the officials to bail them out. That's when it becomes about the officials. This is what began to happen at the end of the Syracuse v Michigan game. But, Michigan kept their composure, didn't complain and fought off the physical pay and gutted out the win. I suspect Michigan got a few of the late calls precisely because of the notion of advantage. I said earlier that the late calls in that game were poor, but not bad or wrong. The refs weren't going to let Syracuse over-compensate for their earlier lack of urgency and good defence during the game by being more physically urgent in the last two minutes. That's just my opinion. Not saying that's exactly what happened or that it's right. Just saying that's what it looked like to me. Bottom line though, Michigan made plays and kept their composure. Syracuse didn't. The players on the floor decided the game, not the refs.

As I have said, I could blow my whistle every 3 - 5 seconds all game long. I suspect that you will see a few quick, early calls to set the tone for the championship game tonight. The same type of calls the media and fans would call questionable late in a game. They should have the best crew on the floor. They should keep the game fair.

Rocker Ute
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I hate to interrupt the religious discussion on this board, but this championship game is off the hook. I miss the days when we could even be in a game like this with clutch players. That run by Louisville at the end of the first half was legendary.

Oh, and Pat, I repent of my badmouthing the Shockers. I mentioned I was cheering for them, but you have to admit from their game against Pitt, and even Gonzaga, I never thought they could go as far as they did. So close to being in this game, you should be proud.

Jarid in Cedar
04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree. It had been an exciting game to watch.

tooblue
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
I agree. It had been an exciting game to watch.

It's been a great game. The refs are letting them play. Michigan is handling the press.

OrangeUte
04-09-2013, 07:09 AM
That was an exciting game. It was dominated by the play of the guards - especially the 3 point contest that Hancock and Albrecht had going. Michigan competed better than I expected. Louisville impresses me because they never play panicked - before, during, or after a comeback.

U-Ute
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
You know what they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Albrect still taking shots..

https://twitter.com/SpikeAlbrecht/status/321637347080937473