PDA

View Full Version : What class categories do you fit in?

tooblue
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
The Great British class calculator

It says the traditional categories of working, middle and upper class are outdated, fitting 39% of people.

It found a new model of seven social classes ranging from the elite at the top to a "precariat" - the poor, precarious proletariat - at the bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I grew up in Sugarhouse. What more need I say?

utebehindenemylines
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
According the survey, I'm the established middle class. Though I don't seem to fit the age demographic and wouldn't think my income would put me in any of the upper classes. How do you think this translates to the American culture? For example, I'd imagine lots more people in GB rent rather than own given that real estate is at a premium compared to the size of the US.

GarthUte
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
I grew up in Sugarhouse. What more need I say?

You're gay?

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
You're gay?

I grew up in Sugarhouse in the 60s and early 70s. That's what you really wanted to drag out of me, isn't it? ;)

U-Ute
04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
You're gay?

No. He's reflecting on his time in the prison that used to be there. Wait. Same thing.

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 01:15 PM
This is a tough room.

CardiacCoug
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
The Great British class calculator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Elite!

Pelado
04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Elite!

Bloody elites.

Rocker Ute
04-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Precariat! (scratches furrowed brow in a vain attempt to understand)

tooblue
04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
This is a tough room.

No kidding. Ain't nothing wrong with Sugarhouse.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I grew up in Sugarhouse in the 60s and early 70s. That's what you really wanted to drag out of me, isn't it? ;)

I grew up in Sugarhouse in the 70s and 80s. Does that make me more gay?

tooblue
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I grew up in Sugarhouse in the 70s and 80s. Does that make me more gay?

Only if you attended Highland Park, then Hillside and then Highland ... and your family had a membership at the swim and tennis club :)

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Only if you attended Highland Park, then Hillside and then Highland ... and your family had a membership at the swim and tennis club :)

Dammit! I was in the club until you mentioned "The Club." Never a member, just looked on from the outside. It's no mistake that you can stand on the I-80 overpass, and see the club at the same time. No one knows how many have made the jump from sadness.

It always used to make me mad when I told people that I was from the Highland stake and they would respond, "So you're from Utah County..."

Diehard Ute
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Dammit! I was in the club until you mentioned "The Club." Never a member, just looked on from the outside. It's no mistake that you can stand on the I-80 overpass, and see the club at the same time. No one knows how many have made the jump from sadness.

It always used to make me mad when I told people that I was from the Highland stake and they would respond, "So you're from Utah County..."

You can see two clubs...THE club to the north and the swim and tennis club to the south ;)

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
You can see two clubs...THE club to the north and the swim and tennis club to the south ;)

Ha! No wonder I went to high school with so many douche bags! Glad to see that so much has changed with the news article last week about the crying cheerleaders who weren't able to try out again because they had too many unexcused absences.

Rocker Ute
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm a transplant to the Sugarhouse (or Sugar House depending on who you speak to) area, with my children on track for the Highland Park, Hillside, Highland path (although there is a good chance of Evergreen Olympus as well). I had never really thought about my home location as the reason for this, but it doesn't explain my new found love of musical theater.

Jarid in Cedar
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Elite. Take that Mr. Jensen!!!!!

tooblue
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM

No worries. The only way I was able to get into "The Club" was due to the kindness of others. It was kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzMtzHni_0

LA Ute
08-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I took swimming lessons for a week one summer at the Tennis Club. When I was a senior at Highland I did a special Hinckley Institute campaign internship with a guy running for the State Senate, and he took me to lunch at the Country Club. I barely remember what the places were like inside, but I remember being pretty wide-eyed about both of them. They were worlds i knew nothing about. We walked through the Country Club locker room and one of the lockers was marked as Calvin Rampton's, who was then Governor of Utah. Heady stuff for a kid whose dad worked at Kennecott.

jrj84105
08-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Doesn't participating on this board alone drive your social/cultural capital down to at least technical middle class?

Scratch
08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
We used to crawl under holes in the fence at the country club to play a few holes. That's the extent of my experience there.

That said, can I now claim some sort of amnesty membership?

LA Ute
08-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Doesn't participating on this board alone drive your social/cultural capital down to at least technical middle class?

In my wife's eyes it makes us all juvenile delinquents.

jrj84105
08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
In my wife's eyes it makes us all juvenile delinquents.

Nah... that would still be an upgrade for me.