PDA

View Full Version : Are Monster Truck shows like WWF Wrestling?

Katy Lied
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Last weekend the family went to Spanish Fork for our first Monster Truck Show/Derby. The boys were thrilled at the trucks, and the youngest one said, "This night would be perfect if I could see a crash."

The night ended with a spectacular crash-- one of the trucks flipped over and spun around in the dust. The crowd went wild and my son was overjoyed. I was dubious though. It looked planned. Here is my evidence:

1. The crashed truck really attacked the junker cars, mounds of dirt, and other obstacles quite aggressively, as if the driver was trying to crash.
2. Timing. The truck that crashed was the last one up to perform, and its crash came right at the climax of the performance that night. The crash could not have been timed more opportunely.
3. Earlier, I noted to my husband that all of the trucks had really good tires, except for one that was puzzlingly ill-maintained. This truck had bald tires, almost no wear left. I wondered why one truck's owner didn't seem to care about its tires. This is the truck that ended up crashing.
4. The crashed truck was also ill maintained in other ways, like it had foot-long cracks in its fiberglass shell, and other things.

I wondered if someone else has been to these shows. Is it common to have the trucks crash and flip over or do endos? Do they do it on purpose? Seems a dangerous way to live, if true.

Diehard Ute
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
They will purposefully crash during freestyle (which is what's usually at the end)

Those trucks are built to withstand the crashes and its a pretty calculated risk. They're really pretty amazing pieces of engineering.

And just like the WWE (they can't use WWF, a judge determine that it belongs to the World Wildlife Fund) they don't hide the fact that they'll crash for entertainment value