PDA

View Full Version : Gaius Venaenuku

DrumNFeather
07-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Various reports are surfacing that current incoming Freshmen Gaius Venaenuku has been killed in a car accident. What horribly sad news.

Here's his ESPN recruiting profile: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/158501/gaius-vaenuku

Diehard Ute
07-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Salesi Uhatafe is reportedly in critical condition from the same accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Diehard Ute
07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Also killed was Lolo Uhatafe and Texas A&M recruit Polo Manukauniu

Jarid in Cedar
07-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Salesi Uhatafe is reportedly in critical condition from the same accident

Rumor in twitterworld was that he has been released from the hospital. Don't know how accurate

Diehard Ute
07-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Rumor in twitterworld was that he has been released from the hospital. Don't know how accurate

That would be great, although a news report from Texas 20 minutes ago listed him as critically injured

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Various reports are surfacing that current incoming Freshmen Gaius Venaenuku has been killed in a car accident. What horribly sad news.

Here's his ESPN recruiting profile: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/158501/gaius-vaenuku

Cant imagine getting worse news as a parent. Praying for the families. This was such horrible news to wake up to.

Diehard Ute
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Reports are the vehicle rolled ejecting two people.

The last tweet from Polo indicated they were heading on a 22 hour drive "on no sleep", New Mexico State Police are looking at driver fatigue :(

Tell everyone you know, driving drowsy is just like driving drunk, and please wear your seat belts, they truly do save lives.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Reports are the vehicle rolled ejecting two people.

The last tweet from Polo indicated they were heading on a 22 hour drive "on no sleep", New Mexico State Police are looking at driver fatigue :(

Tell everyone you know, driving drowsy is just like driving drunk, and please wear your seat belts, they truly do save lives.

A few weeks ago, I was making the drive from Lake Powell back to Vegas. We had a hell of a time getting off the lake and didn't leave the marina until above 8 p.m. We got just outside of Mesquite when I did a couple of head nods. So, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so stupid. Pregnant wife and three kids in the car. Not even close to being worth it. I woke up my wife so that I could have someone to talk to and was fortunate to get home without incident. It can be so easy to convince yourself that you're okay.

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of all involved. Awful news.

Diehard Ute
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Latest news from the U is Salesi's father, Salesi Sr was in the car and the only one wearing a seatbelt. It appears he was driving

LA Ute
07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
A few weeks ago, I was making the drive from Lake Powell back to Vegas. We had a hell of a time getting off the lake and didn't leave the marina until above 8 p.m. We got just outside of Mesquite when I did a couple of head nods. So, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so stupid. Pregnant wife and three kids in the car. Not even close to being worth it. I woke up my wife so that I could have someone to talk to and was fortunate to get home without incident. It can be so easy to convince yourself that you're okay.

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of all involved. Awful news.

We've all (probably) had experiences like that at some point. I certainly have. This sad story is a good reminder to be careful. When I hear stories like this about seat belts, I always shake my head. I never drive anyone anywhere unless they're belted in.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Latest news from the U is Salesi's father, Salesi Sr was in the car and the only one wearing a seatbelt. It appears he was driving

Also, from everything I've been able to compare, I'm no longer seeing anything about a victim in critical condition. It sounds like Salesi and Salesi Sr have both been released from the hospital. Now may the begin the healing process of their hearts.

GarthUte
07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Such horribly sad news. God bless the families affected by this.

Scorcho
07-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Years ago, I had a good friend fall asleep at the wheel after working all night, his car drifted into oncoming traffic ... life over ... left a young wife and a baby.

I hate to admit it but on long, long drives when my kids want to sleep in the backseats, I let them slide the seatbelt down or take it off to sleep. Probably need to be more strict on that.

OrangeUte
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
oh no. I have been busy all day and away from a computer and my phone. this is terrible news. sad for the parents and families. what a sad tragedy.

LA Ute
07-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Chris Burgess tweets:

RT @chrisburgess34: The University of Utah will be honoring the lives lost yesterday by lighting up the U 2night. #rip #utahutes

jrj84105
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
LA- you have a rivals account, right? Any advice on this topic?
http://utah.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2113&tid=190130481&mid=190130481&sid=1141&style=2

roseparkutes
07-31-2013, 07:34 AM
so sad, life can end so easily and fast.

LA Ute
07-31-2013, 08:43 AM
LA- you have a rivals account, right? Any advice on this topic?
http://utah.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2113&tid=190130481&mid=190130481&sid=1141&style=2

I did not see that line of posts. Let me pass this on to the folks I know in the athletic department. I think it is a great idea.

DrumNFeather
08-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Grab a tissue...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/tarrant/Body-of-one-teen-victim-of-New-Mexico-crash-returned-to-Euless-218018931.html

jrj84105
08-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I did not see that line of posts. Let me pass this on to the folks I know in the athletic department. I think it is a great idea.
So this has cleared compliance and is now in the hands of licensing (see my posts on utefans or rivals). I now feel pretty confident that this is going to happen, but the quality and scale will depend on getting the licensing and production done the right way then generating publicity for the shirt.

LA Ute
08-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Still working on getting the 3rd verse of "Utah Man" sung at the game.