PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Fall Camp

Applejack
08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
There is discussion of camp going on in multiple threads, so I thought I would create a home for that discussion here.

The most interesting development out of day one is the news that Gionni (pronounced Johnny!) Paul has transferred from Miami. He is a junior and his eligibility from this year is uncertain due to Miami's situation. He would be a huge upgrade at LB - he started 7 games for the Hurricanes last year. He's not a superstar, but he is a step up from what we have right now.

concerned
08-06-2013, 07:55 AM
There is discussion of camp going on in multiple threads, so I thought I would create a home for that discussion here.

The most interesting development out of day one is the news that Gionni (pronounced Johnny!) Paul has transferred from Miami. He is a junior and his eligibility from this year is uncertain due to Miami's situation. He would be a huge upgrade at LB - he started 7 games for the Hurricanes last year. He's not a superstar, but he is a step up from what we have right now.

That sure sounds like a depressing indictment of what we have now.

Hot Lunch
08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
That sure sounds like a depressing indictment of what we have now.

I know others on the board feel differently than I do on this but, what we have now at LB is a little depressing. Paul is a talented player. 61 tackles as a true soph last year at Miami and like Applejack said, he started 7 games for them.

Hot Lunch
08-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Bill Riley is also saying that the earliest Tevin Carter will be expected in SLC will be 2 weeks from now. That is not good for the D. He was penciled in as a starter at SS prior to camp. It will be hard for him to catch up on all the learning he will miss during these first couple of weeks. I hope I am wrong, but I am going to go ahead and say that even if he gets to play, he won't make an impact. I really hope I am wrong with that statement.

Utah
08-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm getting tired of relying on JC guys to come in and make an impact. I know Kyle has had success with this in the past, but I would much rather have a kid who has been in the program 2-4 years take over a position as a JR or SR. Let's hope the PAC-12 will allow us to recruit those kids as HS'ers instead of trying to plug those holes with JC kids with grade issues.

Applejack
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't get the Reshawn Hooker move. In his limited minutes last year, I saw potential for him to be a good LB, in fact, I thought he had the most talent of any of our LBs. He doesn't seem like he'll be a natural fit at safety, so this looks a little desperate. I hope I'm wrong, but the defensive backfield is looking really shady right now - we might get thrown on a lot.

I also hope the Andre Lewis injury is not serious - I'm not a big fan of Denham of Fitzgerald.

SoCalPat
08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't get the Reshawn Hooker move. In his limited minutes last year, I saw potential for him to be a good LB, in fact, I thought he had the most talent of any of our LBs. He doesn't seem like he'll be a natural fit at safety, so this looks a little desperate. I hope I'm wrong, but the defensive backfield is looking really shady right now - we might get thrown on a lot.

I also hope the Andre Lewis injury is not serious - I'm not a big fan of Denham of Fitzgerald.

I'm more than cool with the move, although I would agree that it's a response to a potential big concern -- the availability of Tevin Carter.

Re: Hooker. Think of what Steve Tate did for us in 2007. Now, the offenses in the MWC that year were positively neanderthal. But Tate was a beast in both defending the pass and stopping the run. He led the team in tackles with 63 solo stops and 103 total (10.5 for loss -- an astounding number for a safety). He had three picks and four pass break-ups while adding 2 sacks.

Tate was better vs. the run than Eric Weddle during his safety years, but not as good against the pass (You want goofy numbers, look at Eric's 2005 season). I think Hooker, provided he can get his assignments down -- and nobody studied film more than Weddle -- has the physical tools to be that rover-type safety who causes havoc all over the field. Regardless, we should be strong up the middle. I like this move.

LA Ute
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm worried. In summer 2011 Kyle told a group of SoCal boosters that on D he was worried only about the safeties, but we'd be just fine if Keith McGill got into school. We all know how that worked out. It makes me nervous when our ability to be solid at a certain position depends on a single player, let alone one who's not even in school yet.

Senioritis
08-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Like with a Twinkie, the issues last year were around the edges, not in the middle. You'd have to have a bone in the middle of your brain or be an alumnus of Viewmont to not love the chemical substance that makes up the "cream" of the Twinkie. It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste like you've just taken a shot of Lysol up the nose. However, anyone that can stomach the yellow sponge that wraps around the delightful center is in urgent need of tongue therapy. It's like a sweetened mutant sea cucumber. Gag me with a spoon.

I like the thought I've heard relayed from Whittingham that Utah matches up fine in the middle, now they need to match up on the edge. Reilly can do that up front, especially with his intact ACLs being a number greater than 1. I'm hoping the Nephew and NateO and Dimick and Palamo can play the edge. Having Hooker flying around in a hybrid role on the outside makes sense, especially if Blechen's knee joints are ground into a fine powder. This seems a pretty good way to limit the effectiveness of the mobile QBs on the schedule. Beef up front, lean speed on the outside, psycho athlete roaming around making plays, and solid dbs. Put Hooker out there, and let him go crazy.

I've been saying for years that what the D needs is a crazy Hooker, but I think you could say that about a lot of things.

Senioritis
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Rowe is good. TME is not chopped liver. Chappuis is hot and sassy. I really think safety is gonna be fine, provided the LBs don't cause tears of embarrassment, feelings of shame, and questioning of the purpose of life.

I think the DTs will be much better than expected, corners will be solid, and safeties will be ok, provided those mouth breathers at LB can make it happen.

The O will be as good as the QB. The D will be as good as the LBs.

crazyute
08-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I agree that having rowe and TME at safety would be just fine. obviously carter makes us better and gives us more depth, but we will be fine either way here. I am also interested to see charles henderson and his development here too.

as for chappuis I hope he see's nothing but special teams play.

UtahsMrSports
08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, it sounds like the career of Reshawn Hooker could very well be over. Third concussion. Sad development.

UtahsMrSports
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
and now Dirk Facer is reporting that Carlos Lozano has quit. Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Last year, it was the same thing......couldn't drop enough weight to play. He is either lazy or has a health issue. Ill give him the BOD here. Hope he can get his weight under control.

Senioritis
08-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, it sounds like the career of Reshawn Hooker could very well be over. Third concussion. Sad development.

This is a pisser. That's all.

Senioritis
08-08-2013, 12:44 PM
and now Dirk Facer is reporting that Carlos Lozano has quit. Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Last year, it was the same thing......couldn't drop enough weight to play. He is either lazy or has a health issue. Ill give him the BOD here. Hope he can get his weight under control.

I always looked forward to Lozano getting some live reps. 400 pound mountain comes trotting out, probably just polishing off a Big H, his girth pretty much filling the gap between him and the guard on his side. It would have been like the former sumo wrestler on the Replacements, only without all of the hilarious Asian humor.

Lozano gave hope to fat guys, at least for a year. I'll always love him for that.

U-Ute
08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Sad about Hooker. You hate to see kids lose eligibility due to injury. I just hope he is able to finish out his degree an have a good quality of life.

Somewhat happy about Lozano. Unless he has some family issue I am not aware of, it makes me think he felt like he couldn't compete with what we currently have. Which would be a good sign.

U-Ute
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Sad about Hooker. You hate to see kids lose eligibility due to injury. I just hope he is able to finish out his degree an have a good quality of life.

“@utahathletics: Sorry to lose So. LB Reshawn Hooker to multiple concussions, but we're proud he plans to stay at U & earn a degree. #utes #goutes”

OrangeUte
08-08-2013, 05:15 PM
glad he's going to take the opportunity to get his degree. he looked like a promising talent at LB for us. Not a happy development in any manner.

“@utahathletics: Sorry to lose So. LB Reshawn Hooker to multiple concussions, but we're proud he plans to stay at U & earn a degree. #utes #goutes”

chrisrenrut
08-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Like with a Twinkie, the issues last year were around the edges, not in the middle. You'd have to have a bone in the middle of your brain or be an alumnus of Viewmont to not love the chemical substance that makes up the "cream" of the Twinkie. It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste like you've just taken a shot of Lysol up the nose. However, anyone that can stomach the yellow sponge that wraps around the delightful center is in urgent need of tongue therapy. It's like a sweetened mutant sea cucumber. Gag me with a spoon.

I like the thought I've heard relayed from Whittingham that Utah matches up fine in the middle, now they need to match up on the edge. Reilly can do that up front, especially with his intact ACLs being a number greater than 1. I'm hoping the Nephew and NateO and Dimick and Palamo can play the edge. Having Hooker flying around in a hybrid role on the outside makes sense, especially if Blechen's knee joints are ground into a fine powder. This seems a pretty good way to limit the effectiveness of the mobile QBs on the schedule. Beef up front, lean speed on the outside, psycho athlete roaming around making plays, and solid dbs. Put Hooker out there, and let him go crazy.

I've been saying for years that what the D needs is a crazy Hooker, but I think you could say that about a lot of things.

Heres what i took from this: Bountiful Braves are proud of liking cream in their mouth, and are not sponge (cake) worthy. "It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste. . ." Yeesh, I'd rather stoop to be a WX Wildcat.

Sorry, i dont mean to lash out. just in a bad mood due to all the bad news out of camp today. Only the news of the BYU uniforms and the reactions of their fans is comforting me right now.

LA Ute
08-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Apparently Bronco has backed off.

Coach Mendenhall @BYU_Football 10m Talked to my team tonite. They want to wear tradition spirit honor on jerseys for homecoming only. Last names for rest of the year.

USS Utah
08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Heres what i took from this: Bountiful Braves are proud of liking cream in their mouth, and are not sponge (cake) worthy. "It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste. . ." Yeesh, I'd rather stoop to be a WX Wildcat.

Sorry, i dont mean to lash out. just in a bad mood due to all the bad news out of camp today. Only the news of the BYU uniforms and the reactions of their fans is comforting me right now.

Come on, lumping all of us Bountiful Braves together is not necessary.

Be proud, at least you could get into Viewmont.

Senioritis
08-08-2013, 08:05 PM

It has to be TWINKIE cream. Not just any random cream, and certainly nothing that originated organically. It must be created in a lab, have a half life of 6,000 years, and have a faint yet unmistakable aftertaste like Febreze. That's the kind of cream we discerning Braves would sell our children to gypsies for.

And I would rather attend a BYU Football fireside every Sunday for the rest of my life than be associated with the Woods Cross Woodchucks.

U-Ute
08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah. What happened with that? I see they are going with the gimmicky jerseys, and now they have bailed.

They rarely change course on things. It seems like they would rather deal with the mocking rather than admit they were wrong at times. The Quest is a great example.

Why this time?

LA Ute
08-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah. What happened with that? I see they are going with the gimmicky jerseys, and now they have bailed.

They rarely change course on things. It seems like they would rather deal with the mocking rather than admit they were wrong at times. The Quest is a great example.

Why this time?

I think Bronco simply gets carried away with the mission aspect of BYU football. Most of his goofy behavior stems from that, it seems to me.

Diehard Ute
08-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Why this time?

By all accounts his players were livid. He didn't tell any of them, just left the new nameless uniforms in their lockers for their photo day.

Apparently some high profile players were extremely upset.

It also didn't help that their entire fan base mocked the idea and went so far as to say "we should be laughed at for this"

Senioritis
08-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Two medical retirements in two days is pretty awesome. These guys almost kill themselves getting ready to play, go through absolute hell, and then things end so fast. It's got to be brutal for them. Best to Moses and the crazy Hooker.

Keith McGill has a wing span of 81", and he's 6'3". That's not only impressive on the field, it's probably impressive in the pit. Hope the time in the pit is short. We need this guy. If Keith McGill can't go, however, I think we ought to look at Keith McCord. He may not have McGill's wingspan, but look at that mustache!!

694 (http://img.ksl.com/slc/2494/249453/24945320.jpg)

Corners need crazy and confidence, and anyone that can own a mustache like that and be on TV for 30 years has plenty of crazy, and plenty of confidence.

I get the sense that Justin Thomas is looking at 4 years of starting. That's pretty rad.

Thretton Palamo is starting to get a little love. I encourage all of my Ute Brethren to not sleep on this guy. He's fast, he's filthy, and he has hair like Diana Ross. Do not sleep on this guy. Give him some Endless Love.

Davion Orphey's last name is pronounced or-FAY. I don't have anything else to say about this, other than a parfait may be the most delicious damn things on the planet.

Brandon Cox is going to see the field sooner rather than later. If Utah's going to run the hurry-up spread, he's the guy that can run the whole thing. Rich Rodriguez is kind of a goober, but he knows dual threat guys, and he liked BC.

I went up to Ruth's for breakfast this morning, because if you're going to have a 1,500 calorie breakfast and eventually die of heart disease, that's a pretty good place to start. Anyway, drove south on Guardsman as practice was starting, and saw some of the crew crossing the street. Felt like a stalker, and fully embraced it. I believe Fehoko and Filiaga currently have some sweet 'fros and orange hair. I'm not making this up. They look like the poly versions of the Greatest American Hero. This made me feel better about the LBs. Insane LBs often have to have something funky with their hair to get the mojo - mohawk, mustache, braided chest hair, shaved armpits, whatever. Fehoko and Filiaga definitely have the mojo.

UBlender
08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Keith McGill has a wing span of 81", and he's 6'3". That's not only impressive on the field, it's probably impressive in the pit. Hope the time in the pit is short. We need this guy. If Keith McGill can't go, however, I think we ought to look at Keith McCord. He may not have McGill's wingspan, but look at that mustache!!

694 (http://img.ksl.com/slc/2494/249453/24945320.jpg)

Corners need crazy and confidence, and anyone that can own a mustache like that and be on TV for 30 years has plenty of crazy, and plenty of confidence.

I get the sense that Justin Thomas is looking at 4 years of starting. That's pretty rad.

Forget the stache, that rug on his head is more or less liquid confidence. He's operating on a whole nother level from the rest of us.

Senioritis
08-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Forget the stache, that rug on his head is more or less liquid confidence. He's operating on a whole nother level from the rest of us.

Seriously, Keith McCord has a major Ron Burgundy going on. Take him off the teleprompter, and you never know what's going down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa1JnWRenw0

Fearless. And Crazy. McGill better get out of the pit, stat.

gugstanley
08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
BCS title game here we come...McCord for heisman campaign starts right now!!!

Applejack
08-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Two medical retirements in two days is pretty awesome. These guys almost kill themselves getting ready to play, go through absolute hell, and then things end so fast. It's got to be brutal for them. Best to Moses and the crazy Hooker.

Thretton Palamo is starting to get a little love. I encourage all of my Ute Brethren to not sleep on this guy. He's fast, he's filthy, and he has hair like Diana Ross. Do not sleep on this guy. Give him some Endless Love.

Davion Orphey's last name is pronounced or-FAY. I don't have anything else to say about this, other than a parfait may be the most delicious damn things on the planet.

Brandon Cox is going to see the field sooner rather than later. If Utah's going to run the hurry-up spread, he's the guy that can run the whole thing. Rich Rodriguez is kind of a goober, but he knows dual threat guys, and he liked BC.

I went up to Ruth's for breakfast this morning, because if you're going to have a 1,500 calorie breakfast and eventually die of heart disease, that's a pretty good place to start. Anyway, drove south on Guardsman as practice was starting, and saw some of the crew crossing the street. Felt like a stalker, and fully embraced it. I believe Fehoko and Filiaga currently have some sweet 'fros and orange hair. I'm not making this up. They look like the poly versions of the Greatest American Hero. This made me feel better about the LBs. Insane LBs often have to have something funky with their hair to get the mojo - mohawk, mustache, braided chest hair, shaved armpits, whatever. Fehoko and Filiaga definitely have the mojo.

Can Diana Ross Palamo be a three time August MVP? That would be unprecedented.

OrangeUte
08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Palamo. I'm dying for this kid to breakout and become a better ziggy than ziggy was for the Cougs last year.

I remember watching him play rugby 7s and he was absolutely the most dominant player on the field. Lets hope he has a huge year.

Applejack
08-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Palamo. I'm dying for this kid to breakout and become a better ziggy than ziggy was for the Cougs last year.

I remember watching him play rugby 7s and he was absolutely the most dominant player on the field. Lets hope he has a huge year.

Good luck with that. If Palamo is drafted in the top 10 of the NFL draft next year, I will marry Carlos Lozano.

What's the latest on Blechen's tendinitis? I'm not a huge Blechen fan, but if he is out, we just went from thin to Mark Bigelow at linebacker.

sancho
08-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Looking at the two deep on defense. On paper, this looks like our worst defense in a decade.

LA Ute
08-10-2013, 09:37 AM

LA Ute
08-10-2013, 11:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5noRoPpatI

LA Ute
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I came home from Utah and my high school reunion to find my 2013 season tix waiting for me. A nice welcome.

Jarid in Cedar
08-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Here is the latest depth chart going into the scrimmage tomorrow:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/FBaug12.pdf

IMO, the positions still up in the air are:

#3 Receiver between Anthony Denham, Delshawn McClellon, and Andre Lewis

DT between Sese Ianu, Latu Hemuli, and LT Tuipulotu

MLB between V.J. Fehoko and LT Filiaga

Both CB with Justin Thomas, Wykie Freeman, Reggie Porter, Keith McGill, and Davion Orphey

The rest of the starters appear to be set. The fact that all 5 OL positions appear to be set is a huge bonus for the offense.

For the receivers, Lewis is the wildcard as he just got back into practice today(hamstring). For now, I would say that Denham is the favorite to start the season, but I bet Lewis overtakes lim by season end. McClellon will likely see most of his time in 4 receiver sets as a slot, filling the role that Jereme Brooks played in 2008-10.

As long as he stays healthy, Latu Hemuli is my pick to win the starting spot next to Tenny Palepoi. If anyone doubts him, watch what he did as a RS freshman against Pitt in 2010. That said, it appears that we have outstanding depth at DT this year and despite the loss of Star, the interior play may be better overall this season.

Fehoko is my pick for MLB. Filiaga is a big hitter, but was out of position frequently. Fehoko is a much better fit at MLB than he was at Rover(which he played much of last season).

For the cornerbacks, Freeman will likely be one starter, and I think that McGill will nail down the other slot, at least out of camp. His injury history has me worried about his ability to hold the position, but we have good depth behind him. Many worry about the lack of experience at CB, but I look at it as a position where skill>>experience. The way we place the corners on an island puts a premium on athletic ability, and all of the players in the hunt have it in spades.

crazyute
08-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see marc pouvave push aiono for RT too.

UBlender
08-13-2013, 08:01 AM
For the cornerbacks, Freeman will likely be one starter, and I think that McGill will nail down the other slot, at least out of camp. His injury history has me worried about his ability to hold the position, but we have good depth behind him. Many worry about the lack of experience at CB, but I look at it as a position where skill>>experience. The way we place the corners on an island puts a premium on athletic ability, and all of the players in the hunt have it in spades.

Interesting. I haven't been as plugged in as other years, but I haven't heard a whole lot about Freeman. It seems to me that Justin Thomas and Reggie Porter are the names mentioned most often as standing out. McGill has the highest upside if he can be consistent and stay healthy. Freeman is a guy I've always liked so I certainly wouldn't be upset about him winning the job. My bet is that we see all four of them plenty (with all of the nickel and dime packages that we have to use). I love the idea of Thomas and Porter as four year mainstays at the position.

Applejack
08-13-2013, 08:30 AM
I was under the impression that Heimuli had retired due to injuries. Not so?

Jarid in Cedar
08-13-2013, 08:47 AM

That was a rumor over the spring.

UtahsMrSports
08-13-2013, 10:31 AM
A few quick thoughts on fall camp so far:

-Thrilled to see Latu in a battle for playing time. Really hoping he can stay healthy. I am not worried about the interior of the line in even the slightest.

-Also happy to see that Isaac Asiata has made the two deep. I dont know why, but im cheering for him.

-Seems that Bot has become this year's Lei Talamaivo. Just one of those things I guess. I thought hed be Bergstroms replacement after I saw him play against BYU in 2011. But, Im the first to admit that analyzing offensive lineman is my weakest area in football (not that I have any strengths :) )

-Very anxious to hear how the scrimmage goes.

-Not one of these bullet points has contained any useful information.

Jarid in Cedar
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
First scrimmage today and I will say more later, but if Connor Manning performs in Saturday's scrimmage as well as he did today, I think that you will see Schulz transfer, maybe even before camp is finished(esp if he still wants to play 2 the D-1 level). I don't care that he did it against the 2nd and 3rd string. Those are the players who are thought to be his peers on the team. Decision making is such a huge part of being a quarterback, and it sounds like Connor may be the best we have in that regards. I am not saying that I want to see him this season, but he is going to have alot to say about the QB position in 2014 and beyond.

Sullyute
08-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I am happy to hear about Mannings success. I have high hopes for schulz and hope he sticks around. We have had too many years of a thin cupboard at QB so having a several good quarterbacks would be a nice change.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Here's some info on Heimuli's return to football.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=26349471&nid=840&title=utah-football-healthy-heimuli-making-impact

UBlender
08-13-2013, 03:16 PM
First scrimmage today and I will say more later, but if Connor Manning performs in Saturday's scrimmage as well as he did today, I think that you will see Schulz transfer, maybe even before camp is finished(esp if he still wants to play 2 the D-1 level). I don't care that he did it against the 2nd and 3rd string. Those are the players who are thought to be his peers on the team. Decision making is such a huge part of being a quarterback, and it sounds like Connor may be the best we have in that regards. I am not saying that I want to see him this season, but he is going to have alot to say about the QB position in 2014 and beyond.

It is certainly possible, but Schulz himself had a better completion % than Manning, although Schulz had no TDs and one INT (the TD/INT numbers are hard to rely on without context--was the INT on a tipped/dropped pass or bad route? Did Schulz not throw TDs because he moved the team down into the redzone and then they scored on running play?). So I'm not sure we can safely conclude that Manning is rocketing past Schulz on the the depth chart. Although I do agree that if Schulz were to definitively fall behind either of the freshman (and not in a "Cox package" sort of way) then he would probably transfer (and I couldn't blame him).

As for Manning, I think the staff was really hoping to give him a lot of reps today in hopes that they could conclude that he isn't ready and could put a redshirt on him and reduce his practice reps. Based on his size he should definitely redshirt to get stronger--we don't need another Jordan Wynn story here. But Manning is not making that decision easy from the sound of things.

Jarid in Cedar
08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
It is certainly possible, but Schulz himself had a better completion % than Manning, although Schulz had no TDs and one INT (the TD/INT numbers are hard to rely on without context--was the INT on a tipped/dropped pass or bad route? Did Schulz not throw TDs because he moved the team down into the redzone and then they scored on running play?). So I'm not sure we can safely conclude that Manning is rocketing past Schulz on the the depth chart. Although I do agree that if Schulz were to definitively fall behind either of the freshman (and not in a "Cox package" sort of way) then he would probably transfer (and I couldn't blame him).

As for Manning, I think the staff was really hoping to give him a lot of reps today in hopes that they could conclude that he isn't ready and could put a redshirt on him and reduce his practice reps. Based on his size he should definitely redshirt to get stronger--we don't need another Jordan Wynn story here. But Manning is not making that decision easy from the sound of things.

Listening to Bill and Hans today, they said that 3 of Connors incompletions were receiver drops, so that would boost his percentage. They also said that some of the drops are because the receivers are not expecting him to put the ball into some of the spaces that he can fit it. I think he will redshirt, barring a Oregon 2009 type of calamity. That said, he is already a better option than Schulz in the long run. I hope Schulz sticks out this season so that we can keep a redshirt on 2 or 3 of the freshman this year.

Applejack
08-13-2013, 05:30 PM
This is an interesting development. I really hope Schultzy sticks around, not because I think he is a superstar, but because I would hate to have true freshmen as our backups. Let's hope Archie Manning's long lost son can keep his gun under wraps for the rest of the summer.

jrj84105
08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I keep waiting for Schulz to announce a transfer to Hawaii. I really wish we would focus on developing an offensive system with a group of QB's who have an appropriate skillset for that system. I'm not sure that the best QB is necessarily the best Utah QB and would like to see us fully commit to the read option elements of our offense. I don't want another Wynn situation where we're trying to recruit dual threat QB's for our ideal offense while running a pro-style offense to accomodate our QB.

Sullyute
08-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I just watch some high lights of the scrimmage and freshman running back de'vren young looked very fast and shifty. I don't know if he was going against the 1s, 2s, or 3s but he looked promising. Whit said lots of the defensive starters were held out. I was also glad to hear that the kicking game is improving in Whit's estimation.

LA Ute
08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
I keep waiting for Schulz to announce a transfer to Hawaii. I really wish we would focus on developing an offensive system with a group of QB's who have an appropriate skillset for that system. I'm not sure that the best QB is necessarily the best Utah QB and would like to see us fully commit to the read option elements of our offense. I don't want another Wynn situation where we're trying to recruit dual threat QB's for our ideal offense while running a pro-style offense to accomodate our QB.

I agree.

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7Ef7cJyT8#at=22

I just keep wondering why no one ever corrected Wilson's throwing motion early in his career, when there was still time to do it.

Hot Lunch
08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Whitt said today that Tevin Carter will not join the team this year. That sucks. This is why I should never get excited about JC kids. In the past, I had been pretty good about that. I was stoked about the type of prospect Carter is.

sancho
08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I was stoked about the type of prospect Carter is.

I was stoked just to have any kind of help in the secondary.

concerned
08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I was stoked just to have any kind of help in the secondary.

I hope we never, never have to rely on immediate help (esp. starting) from a JC transfer again

Jarid in Cedar
08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
I hope we never, never have to rely on immediate help (esp. starting) from a JC transfer again

the trouble is you really never bring in a junior college transfer except to help fill holes. so by virtue of that you're depending on that person to come in and help out immediately.

concerned
08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
the trouble is you really never bring in a junior college transfer except to help fill holes. so by virtue of that you're depending on that person to come in and help out immediately.

right. What I am really saying is that I hope we are establishing 4 year continuity so that we dont have gaping holes that need immediate fulfilment any more (although Cullen and some of the db's worked out well, where Lozano and Pouvave didnt, but I hope our recruiting has picked up to provide the depth and continuity).

Hot Lunch
08-14-2013, 01:14 PM

There isn't a school in the country that hasn't had to bring in a JC to fill a hole. Even SEC powerhouses bring in 1 or 2 JC kids a year to fill a need every year.

GarthUte
08-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Like John White IV? ;)

concerned
08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Like John White IV? ;)

Hey, I acknowledged that some work out; do you want to be in the position of relying on them, or would you like to have a stable of backs like this year? (dont be a wise guy and throw York in my face).

Scratch
08-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I think there's a big difference in "having to rely on" a JC transfer and bringing in a JC transfer who is expected to provide an upgrade to the would-be starter or to provide depth to the position.

GarthUte
08-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey, I acknowledged that some work out; do you want to be in the position of relying on them, or would you like to have a stable of backs like this year? (dont be a wise guy and throw York in my face).

That was going to be my response. Way to kill my fun. :mad:

I understand what you're saying. JC transfers are good to fill holes, but rarely do they turn into the guy needed.

concerned
08-14-2013, 02:15 PM
That was going to be my response. Way to kill my fun. :mad:

I understand what you're saying. JC transfers are good to fill holes, but rarely do they turn into the guy needed.

they may turn into the guy needed, but they may not show up at all. Where would we have been The Wolfman had failed a pass/fail class like Tevin Carter?

Diehard Ute
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Good article on Fehoko

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/56734735-89/fehoko-season-football-linebacker.html.csp

Applejack
08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
I know that JC guys are risky, but I don't foresee a future in which we don't rely heavily on them, especially at the skill positions. In fact, I think the one area in which we have seen marked recruiting improvement since joining the Pac-12 is in JC guys - we get some really good ones.

concerned
08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I know that JC guys are risky, but I don't foresee a future in which we don't rely heavily on them, especially at the skill positions. In fact, I think the one area in which we have seen marked recruiting improvement since joining the Pac-12 is in JC guys - we get some really good ones.

I appreciate you guys not throwing Star in my face yet.

Scratch
08-14-2013, 04:21 PM

I think Star is a perfect example of what we should be getting from the JC ranks. We had fairly well established depth at the position, and we would have been OK without Star, but getting Star sure helped. In other words, we weren't relying on Star, but he was still an extremely valuable addition.

SoCalPat
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I think Star is a perfect example of what we should be getting from the JC ranks. We had fairly well established depth at the position, and we would have been OK without Star, but getting Star sure helped. In other words, we weren't relying on Star, but he was still an extremely valuable addition.

To hear some people discuss JUCOs, by their logic we should've never recruited Star because James Aiono didn't pan out.

concerned
08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
To hear some people discuss JUCOs, by their logic we should've never recruited Star because James Aiono didn't pan out.

I didn't say we shouldn't recruit them; I said I hoped we would never be in the position again of needing them to fill a slot--ie., having them penciiled in as the starter before they get here. Big difference.

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 05:24 PM

I think you're being very gracious about the hole you've dug. ;)

concerned
08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I think you're being very gracious about the hole you've dug. ;)

Like discretion, graciousness is the better part of valor.

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Like discretion, graciousness is the better part of valor.

I just declare victory and move on. It works half the time.

Jarid in Cedar
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
And in the most logical move of the fall, Micah Thomas is now a safety

LA Ute
08-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Aren't safeties usually a little bigger? He's 6'0", 175, so I guess he's borderline safety size. Am I wrong?

Jarid in Cedar
08-16-2013, 03:25 PM
He will fill in. I look at him as Rowe's replacement in 2 years

LA Ute
08-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Thought for the day, from Dennis Erickson:

"A quarterback is only as good as the people who are playing with him," Erickson said. "Maybe the biggest thing is, can we run the football? If we can run the football, we can get down and distance situations that are way better. Then we don't have to put everything on him."

Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to some "2nd down and short" situations this fall!

sancho
08-16-2013, 07:14 PM

I think our coaches do this right. You should always give them that shot at QB. How many guys have we landed because we were willing to let them try and win a QB spot? In the end, you either get a surprisingly good QB, or you get a coveted DB/WR.

Jarid in Cedar
08-16-2013, 08:03 PM
I think our coaches do this right. You should always give them that shot at QB. How many guys have we landed because we were willing to let them try and win a QB spot? In the end, you either get a surprisingly good QB, or you get a coveted DB/WR.

I agree.

LA Ute
08-19-2013, 06:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1n0N3lmarh0

OrangeUte
08-20-2013, 12:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1n0N3lmarh0

A third tight end that they want to develop. Wonder who that will be. Jake Murphy identifies some names in the video - Siale and Greg Reese and Harrison (?). Anyone know anything about these guys?

Here is to hoping Jake Murphy makes it through an entire season injury free. He could be a beast like pitta was.

We could have a very special offense this year with dres, Scott, Murphy and tonga catching as primary wr and tight ends. Rb seems solid as does Oline.

Jarid in Cedar
08-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Siale is the 3rd on the depth chart by many reports.

OrangeUte
08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Hatfield backing wr. Smallish Reggie Dunn type.

Micah Thomas back on offense. Does this mean as a qb or in some other capacity?

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile2/56754522-218/utah-wilson-reilly-whittingham.html.csp

Jarid in Cedar
08-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Micah is back at quarterback. I think he will be given this year and spring to see if he can progress.

LA Ute
08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Micah is back at quarterback. I think he will be given this year and spring to see if he can progress.

Letting him switch back seems like a good idea, because otherwise other coaches would use that against us In recruiting. "Utah will bait and switch you."

Senioritis
08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
The press release from 8/19 has some, uh, interesting little tidbits.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/fbaug19.pdf

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

2. (Relatedly) What in the name of Bill Marcroft has happened to our strong safeties? Is this like being the drummer in Spinal Tap? Darchon Taggart actually could have been the names of one of the Spinal Tap drummers. That would make Eric Rowe our own Nigel Tufnel, which is a huge compliment.

Seriously, what in the wide, wide world of sports is up with the 2 deep at safety?

Senioritis
08-20-2013, 11:13 AM

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/fbaug19.pdf

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

2. (Relatedly) What in the name of Bill Marcroft has happened to our strong safeties? Is this like being the drummer in Spinal Tap? Darchon Taggart actually could have been the names of one of the Spinal Tap drummers. That would make Eric Rowe our own Nigel Tufnel, which is a huge compliment.

Seriously, what in the wide, wide world of sports is up with the 2 deep at safety?

Well, reading Darchon's official bio made me feel much, much better.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/darchon_taggart_820772.html

Evidently, he walked on last year after spending the previous year at Weber State as a WR. He had 3 receptions for the mighty Wildcats and got the starting nod against Portland State, so I can't imagine how having him on the 2 deep at safety could be anything but totally awesome!

cald22well
08-20-2013, 01:30 PM

I think that Charles Henderson has been in the pit. Since Whitt won't talk about injuries, nobody knows how serious it is. Hopefully it isn't too bad and he can provide depth during the season. Rowe and TME starting with Chucky and Quade Chappuis backing up. I can see Michael Walker as a sort of utility defensive back, moving where we need him for depth.

U-Ute
08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Apparently Manning threw the ball over the south stands to avoid sprints today.

The coaches may have to rethink this challenge of we continue to recruit QB'S with P12 talent.

concerned
08-20-2013, 04:16 PM

The coaches may have to rethink this challenge of we continue to recruit QB'S with P12 talent.

According to twitter, Trevor Reillly did it too. Maybe we should move him to qb.

Utah
08-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

This is where all the PAC-12 recruiting Whitt always talks about needs to show. We need a player like Walker (a SR) to step up and take that job. He has been here long enough, it should be his. We will see.

Diehard Ute
08-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Saw video of it. It was impressive. The tweet said he threw it from the goal line, but it looked like the 10 to me

Jarid in Cedar
08-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Here is our safety recruiting for the last 5 classes

Jarrad Stewart-Left team after redshirting in 2009(homesick Texan)
Chris Washington-Medically retired in fall of 2010.(Multiple Shoulder Surgeries)
Victor Spikes-Moved to LB in 2011, Left team after Spring 2013(IDK but he is at SUU)

Brian Blechen-Started SS as a true. Has played 2+ years at LB
Damian Payne-Left team in the fall of 2011(Had to go take care of baby momma)
Terrell Reese-Left team after Spring 2013(Most likely a depth chart casualty :doh:)
Michael Walker-In 2 deep at SS

Eric Rowe-Going to be 3 year starter at FS
Joseph Bryant-Still on the team but WTF is his story?
Keith McGill-Moved to CB

Austin Lee-Went straight to the mission field
Alphonso Marsh-Kicked off team in 2012

Tevin Carter-Didn't make grades

So 5 classes, 13 players. Only 3 playing the position, 2 other on the team at a different position, 1 on a mission, 5 never played a down, 2 left after some contribution.

:yikes:

LA Ute
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Chris Washington-Medically retired in fall of 2010.(Multiple Shoulder Surgeries)
Victor Spikes-Moved to LB in 2011, Left team after Spring 2013(IDK but he is at SUU)

Terrell Reese-Left team after Spring 2013(Most likely a depth chart casualty :doh:)

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

So 5 classes, 13 players. Only 3 playing the position, 2 other on the team at a different position, 1 on a mission, 5 never played a down, 2 left after some contribution.

That's quite a saga. Is it just rotten luck, or a function of our being outside the PAC-12? Will it get any better now that we are in, and getting more shots at more athletes?

Senioritis
08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

So it is a Spinal Tap drummer thing. Rad. Looking forward to learning more about the demise of our future safeties.

Also, love Eric Rowe as Nigel Tufnel. He goes to 11.

concerned
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
That's quite a saga. Is it just rotten luck, or a function of our being outside the PAC-12? Will it get any better now that we are in, and getting more shots at more athletes?

this year, we lost the safety we really wanted to Stanford; the kid from Syracuse

sancho
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
We also have potential safeties in Micah Thomas and Chase Hansen.

Scratch
08-20-2013, 09:53 PM
this year, we lost the safety we really wanted to Stanford; the kid from Syracuse

I assume you mean the kid from Woods Cross, and I'd be very surprised if he ever plays safety. He's going to be an all P12 LB.

sharpone
08-20-2013, 09:56 PM
We also have potential safeties in Micah Thomas and Chase Hansen.

The guys down south claim that Hansen will transfer after his mission. Since he burned his redshirt I doubt it, but has anyone here heard differently?

LA Ute
08-20-2013, 10:02 PM
The guys down south claim that Hansen will transfer after his mission. Since he burned his redshirt I doubt it, but has anyone here heard differently?

What idiots.

UteBeliever aka Port
08-20-2013, 10:08 PM

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but it sure seems that it would have been wise to recruit another safety in 2012 and 2013 with what went on before that time. We knew that 2009 was a giant whiff. We knew that 2010 Blech had moved and Payne had left the team. We knew in 2012 that Lee was going on a mission. We knew we only recruited one safety in 2013...a JC guy that hadn't yet qualified which is always a risk.

Seems like someone overlooked this position in a big way. I wonder how a "defensive" coach like Whit whiffs this bad. It's quite embarrassing.

We have 1 guy (Rowe) recruited in the past THREE seasons that is still playing safety and anywhere near the depth chart. 1 guy. 3 recruiting cycles.

Very less than stellar.

I really do not get only recruiting 2 in 2012 when one was headed on a mission or only ONE this past season.

sancho
08-21-2013, 07:22 AM
I guess hindsight is 20/20, but it sure seems that it would have been wise to recruit another safety in 2012 and 2013 with what went on before that time. We knew that 2009 was a giant whiff. We knew that 2010 Blech had moved and Payne had left the team. We knew in 2012 that Lee was going on a mission. We knew we only recruited one safety in 2013...a JC guy that hadn't yet qualified which is always a risk.

Seems like someone overlooked this position in a big way. I wonder how a "defensive" coach like Whit whiffs this bad. It's quite embarrassing.

We have 1 guy (Rowe) recruited in the past THREE seasons that is still playing safety and anywhere near the depth chart. 1 guy. 3 recruiting cycles.

Very less than stellar.

I really do not get only recruiting 2 in 2012 when one was headed on a mission or only ONE this past season.

On average we have, what, 21 scholarships each year? I say the basic breakdown should look like this:

1 QB
1 TE
1-2 RB
2 WR
1-2 ILB
4-5 OL
4-5 DL/OLB
4-5 DB

Those three positions (OL, DL, DB) are three places where you just can't have enough players. Seems like we have been heavy on the RB/WR/athlete recently.

UBlender
08-21-2013, 08:13 AM

Great news! That keeps their streak of 1,837 "missionary transferring to BYU" rumors intact. I was getting a little worried there.

It's always possible that he does transfer as it has happened before (both ways) but they are wrong about that a lot more often than they are right.

UteBeliever aka Port
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Great news! That keeps their streak of 1,837 "missionary transferring to BYU" rumors intact. I was getting a little worried there.

It's always possible that he does transfer as it has happened before (both ways) but they are wrong about that a lot more often than they are right.

Seriously, though, I want to see Langi and Hansen back at the U. Langi playing LB and Hansen playing safety.

:Evil:

sharpone
08-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Seriously, though, I want to see Langi and Hansen back at the U. Langi playing LB and Hansen playing safety.

:Evil:

What kind of speed does Langi have? We definitely need speed at the LB position to compete in this PAC12.

concerned
08-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I assume you mean the kid from Woods Cross, and I'd be very surprised if he ever plays safety. He's going to be an all P12 LB.

Actually, I meant the Syracuse safety Fonua, who has committed (maybe softly) to the Y. I got him confused with Sean Barton, the Woods Cross LB last year.