PDA

View Full Version : I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

U-Ute
08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
So, you think they stay at 10? Or they invite CU + someone else? Who else? It was either Utah or Boise, and we added much more value. They'd have plugged their noses and invited us. It's a great bonus to the Pac-12 that Utah is strong academically.

I think they don't expand. Or they push harder to get the Texas teams.

chrisrenrut
08-19-2015, 07:31 PM
I think they don't expand. Or they push harder to get the Texas teams.

This is all speculation, or revisionist history. But I think Larry Scott was looking to expand to get a conference championsip game, and to position the conference for the new TV contract. I think they were going to expand to at least 12 no matter what. Colorado and Utah may not have been his plan A, but I think Utah is in his plan B or C from the beginning.

Colorado was no big prize when it came to athletics when they got their invite. Utah was the next best fit academically and culturally west of the Central Time Zone. The fact that we had recent athletic success was a factor, but not the factor.

Ma'ake
08-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Regarding the biggest sports topic this summer, BYU's deserving a P5 invitation - in the State of Utah, at least - Tom Holmoe says it's highly unlikely a football-only invitation will be offered.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865634928/BYU7s-Holmoe-on-Utah-football-series-6We7ll-play-some-games7.html

Is the Big-12 ready to juggle their schedules to accommodate BYU? The TV contract would have to be re-negotiated, if I remember correctly.

Also notable that he didn't rule out a return to the MWC, which seems more unlikely as they improve scheduling. It looks like independence is BYU's fate, for the foreseeable future.

LA Ute
08-19-2015, 08:36 PM
This is all speculation, or revisionist history. But I think Larry Scott was looking to expand to get a conference championsip game, and to position the conference for the new TV contract. I think they were going to expand to at least 12 no matter what. Colorado and Utah may not have been his plan A, but I think Utah is in his plan B or C from the beginning.

Colorado was no big prize when it came to athletics when they got their invite. Utah was the next best fit academically and culturally west of the Central Time Zone. The fact that we had recent athletic success was a factor, but not the factor.

I know only a few tidbits. When Scott announced his interest in expanding, Chris Hill immediately called the Colorado AD and said, "Let's go talk to Larry Scott together and offer ourselves as a package." They both flew to Walnut Creek and met with Scott. Both schools were on the radar screen as a package from the beginning. Then Scott got interested in the Texas and Oklahoma schools. Hill stayed in touch with Scott and made sure the connection stayed alive. In the meantime, just in case things didn't go Utah's way, Hill was talking to the Kansas and KSU ADs about their schools joining the MWC, or some version thereof. (That would've created an interesting basketball conference.) I don't know where Colorado was in the picture during this time. Then it all fell apart and Scott was back to Utah and CU. That's how I've heard it, anyway.

SoCalPat
08-20-2015, 08:11 AM
I know only a few tidbits. When Scott announced his interest in expanding, Chris Hill immediately called the Colorado AD and said, "Let's go talk to Larry Scott together and offer ourselves as a package." They both flew to Walnut Creek and met with Scott. Both schools were on the radar screen as a package from the beginning. Then Scott got interested in the Texas and Oklahoma schools. Hill stayed in touch with Scott and made sure the connection stayed alive. In the meantime, just in case things didn't go Utah's way, Hill was talking to the Kansas and KSU ADs about their schools joining the MWC, or some version thereof. (That would've created an interesting basketball conference.) I don't know where Colorado was in the picture during this time. Then it all fell apart and Scott was back to Utah and CU. That's how I've heard it, anyway.

Hill talking with the Kansas schools is the first time I've ever heard of that happening. It sounds very plausible.

I've heard Hill met with Pac-12 people about expansion as early as our 2009 game at Eugene. Whether or not it was Pac-12 officials or Oregon admins or both, I don't know.

Revisionist history assessment: Our invite to the Pac-12 was sealed the day Colorado was offered an invite. It locked out Baylor and made Texas realize they weren't going to be calling all (or any) of the shots. If you believe academics were coming into play, it probably sent a strong message to Oklahoma State and Texas Tech that they likely weren't wanted by the school presidents. It also got Texas A&M thinking about their options, which made Scott's "initial" goal of getting to 16 teams DOA.

sancho
08-20-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't know where Colorado was in the picture during this time. Then it all fell apart and Scott was back to Utah and CU.

CU was invited before Utah. They got CU and then tried for the Texas 5 (UT, A&M, OU, OSU, TT). When the Texas group fell out, the PAC was at 11 and needed 1 more. Utah was always the backup plan. But we were very close to being on the outside looking in.

Chris Hill immediately called the Colorado AD and said, "Let's go talk to Larry Scott together and offer ourselves as a package." They both flew to Walnut Creek and met with Scott. Both schools were on the radar screen as a package from the beginning.

The argument I keep making (that y'all are sick of, I'm sure) is that Utah would never have been considered as a package deal with CU if not for our on field success. If we had never won those BCS bowls, it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to think of Utah as an expansion candidate.

I'm clearly more cynical about all this than most Utah fans, but I believe the Pac-12 would have happily added an academic lightweight if it were a top football program that would add a good amount of $$$.

chrisrenrut
08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
CU was invited before Utah. They got CU and then tried for the Texas 5 (UT, A&M, OU, OSU, TT). When the Texas group fell out, the PAC was at 11 and needed 1 more. Utah was always the backup plan. But we were very close to being on the outside looking in.

The argument I keep making (that y'all are sick of, I'm sure) is that Utah would never have been considered as a package deal with CU if not for our on field success. If we had never won those BCS bowls, it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to think of Utah as an expansion candidate.

I'm clearly more cynical about all this than most Utah fans, but I believe the Pac-12 would have happily added an academic lightweight if it were a top football program that would add a good amount of $$$.

Colorado had no recent athletic success that would compare to Utah's. Yet they were chosen before Utah.

Boise State had as recent much high profile athletic success as Utah, but was not considered.

Those two facts tell me that other factors than athletic success were more important in the selection equation than it appears on the surface.

IIRC, there was a lot of talk that the PAC wanted somehow to take Oklahoma without OSU, and Texas without Texas Tech, due to academics.

sancho
08-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Those two facts tell me that other factors than athletic success were more important in the selection equation than it appears on the surface.

Yes, the other factor was money. CU brought more than Utah and Boise didn't bring as much as Utah. But if Boise were a metropolis of 10 million, they would have received the invite instead of us, regardless of academic rep.

IIRC, there was a lot of talk that the PAC wanted somehow to take Oklahoma without OSU, and Texas without Texas Tech, due to academics.

Yes, the Pac-12 would have added OSU and TT if it meant getting OU and UT. I'm sure that, football and money being equal, the Pac-12 would prefer an academic powerhouse over a community college.

LA Ute
08-20-2015, 03:38 PM

This is just my opinion but I just don't believe that the four California Schools, especially Stanford, Cal and UCLA, would ever have voted to add OSU and TT.

Thanks. I was not aware of when CU was invited because I was not following closely at the time. Was Texas Tech really under serious consideration, ever? Was the Texas et al. gambit ever really a serious possibility? The idea that it was is another aspect of that whole chain of events that I will never really believe.

Two Utes
08-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Colorado had no recent athletic success that would compare to Utah's. Yet they were chosen before Utah.

Boise State had as recent much high profile athletic success as Utah, but was not considered.

This is really why I have no interest in playing BYU anymore. Being in the Pac 12 means my University is associated with schools like Cal, Stanford, UCLA. If you think's that laughable, it certainly isn't laughable that my University is associated with CU, AU, OU and Wash and those are the Universities I want my school to be associated with. I don't want it to be associated with a private religious university that still kicks kids out of school for long hair or drinking beer and requires that students be in their dorms away from the opposite sex at 10 at night.

The Pac 12 schools think BYU is a joke of a University. But they didn't think we were a joke of a University and were willing to associate with us. That's one of the best things that has happened to the University that gave me three degrees and I'm thrilled about it. BYU can do its thing and good luck. I'll go ahead and enjoy the competition and association with and against the other fine Universities of the Western United States.

LA Ute
08-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Being in the Pac 12 means my University is associated with schools like Cal, Stanford, UCLA. If you think's that laughable, it certainly isn't laughable that my University of associated with CU, AU, OU and Wash and those are the Universities I want my school to be associated with. I don't want it to be associated with a private religious university that still kicks kids out of school for long hair or drinking beer and requires that students be in their dorms away from the opposite sex at 10 at night.

The Pac 12 schools think BYU is a joke of a University. But they didn't think we were a joke of a University and were willing to associate with us. That's one of the best things that has happened to the University that gave me three degrees and I'm thrilled about it. BYU can do its thing and good luck. I'll go ahead and enjoy the competition and association with and against the other fine Universities of the Western United States.

:clap:

concerned
08-20-2015, 04:13 PM
This is really why I have no interest in playing BYU anymore. Being in the Pac 12 means my University is associated with schools like Cal, Stanford, UCLA. If you think's that laughable, it certainly isn't laughable that my University is associated with CU, AU, OU and Wash and those are the Universities I want my school to be associated with. I don't want it to be associated with a private religious university that still kicks kids out of school for long hair or drinking beer and requires that students be in their dorms away from the opposite sex at 10 at night.

Agreed completely. This is why I am very disappointed they we are going to play them possible the next seven years. I thought the hiatus was going to be the beginning of the end. As all the media yesterday shows, it is going to ramp right back up again, and we are right back where we were. I was hoping we would have more intersectional games like Michigan. Now it looks like we wont until Baylor in 2023. I wonder if Hill scheduled the Y after 2018, because he was having trouble getting good intersectional games.

SoCalPat
08-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Agreed completely. This is why I am very disappointed they we are going to play them possible the next seven years. I thought the hiatus was going to be the beginning of the end. As all the media yesterday shows, it is going to ramp right back up again, and we are right back where we were. I was hoping we would have more intersectional games like Michigan. Now it looks like we wont until Baylor in 2023. I wonder if Hill scheduled the Y after 2018, because he was having trouble getting good intersectional games.

Everyone else in the Pac-12 save the Washington* schools have no problem scheduling P5 H-Hs. This leads me to believe two things.

1. Kyle has veto power over scheduling. When juxtaposed with my rationale behind the Washington schools' line on non-con skeds, I think it will offer a different take on Kyle's mindset in this area.

2. Kyle would rather not play BYU, but as long as Bronco is there, he begrudingly goes along because he believes he has the upper hand in the coaching matchup. Additionally, Kyle knows he has veto power, but he cannot abuse it. His ideal non-con would have USU as the toughest opponent, but fans would revolt if it was that way annually.

Conclusion: We will eventually see an upgrade in scheduling, but it won't come with Kyle at the helm. I think that's why 2020-onward has very little scheduled -- I don't think Hill will put a series in front of Kyle unless he absolutely has to. In college football, you need to be set with your non-con no fewer than 3 years in advance.

Kyle and the Washington schools: Look at their coaches ... Chris Peterson, who scheduled one tough game per year and feasted on cupcakes the rest of the season. Now he has heavyweights every week at UW and is afraid of truly deep water. At Wazzu, you have Mike Leach, who not only is a Zoob (that's a cheap crack -- don't crucify me tooblue) but made his hay at Texas Tech, an out of the way locale that rarely rated better than the 4th best team in his own division with a distinct calling card. Tech under Leach wasn't a whole lot different than Utah under Kyle in the Pac-12. Coaches have expiration dates. Why hasten the sell-by date by scheduling Bataan Death Marches in the non-con?

sancho
08-20-2015, 05:44 PM
His ideal non-con would have USU as the toughest opponent, but fans would revolt if it was that way annually.

I'm not sold. Part of coach whittingham must love the wins over Michigan and crave more opportunities like those. This is the guy who wanted a bcs graveyard.

mUUser
08-20-2015, 06:48 PM
I'm not sold. Part of coach whittingham must love the wins over Michigan and crave more opportunities like those. This is the guy who wanted a bcs graveyard.

Agreed. Guys that reach the elite in their profession aren't wired like the rest of the population.....Senior business executives, billionaires, top trial attorneys, elite coaches & athletes etc..... They walk out their front door everyday thinking they can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere......and typically they have......which is why they're at the top of their professions in the first place.

Same goes with athletes like Frank Jackson. A zoob will say "Franklin should come to BYU so he can be the man." Newsflash -- Athletes like Frank Jackson have the competitive mindset that they can be the man anywhere they go, so promises of being the man at a third-tier basketball program is a non-starter.

SoCalPat
08-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Kyle loves his job, the competition and the big wins. But I believe he craves security more, which is tied in to his family, and you can bet he treasures his family more than any victory.. His entire coaching career consists of Eastern Utah, Idaho State and the U. You can hit all three schools in a six-hour car ride. If Kyle had to find work today, he'd be in demand, but he likely wouldn't get what he considers his ideal job. It certainly wouldn't be any better than what he currently has at Utah. Kyle has a good thing going here and he wants to protect it.

mUUser
08-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Kyle loves his job, the competition and the big wins. But I believe he craves security more, which is tied in to his family, and you can bet he treasures his family more than any victory.. His entire coaching career consists of Eastern Utah, Idaho State and the U. You can hit all three schools in a six-hour car ride. If Kyle had to find work today, he'd be in demand, but he likely wouldn't get what he considers his ideal job. It certainly wouldn't be any better than what he currently has at Utah. Kyle has a good thing going here and he wants to protect it.

Not interested in a drawn out debate, but this makes zero sense. If security drives him he'd be pushing papers in some county tax office, or coaching at the local junior high school. He'd be home at 6 o clock every night.

roseparkutes
08-20-2015, 08:26 PM
I hate provo tech. I wish we would never play them and their pompous DB assclowns fans.

SoCalPat
08-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Not interested in a drawn out debate, but this makes zero sense. If security drives him he'd be pushing papers in some county tax office, or coaching at the local junior high school. He'd be home at 6 o clock every night.

Where's the financial security in that? Do they have multi-million dollar buyout clauses for fired junior high school coaches?

Ma'ake
08-20-2015, 08:30 PM

If Whitt was a gambler, he'd be a card counter, Blackjack. He's highly driven, but he won't drag his family all over the country chasing bigger jobs, or he would have gone to Tennessee. Someone close to him said he should "blow the lock off his wallet and buy a wardrobe". He's pretty straight forward, but an enigma, in some ways. He's less complicated than Urban Meyer, and not nearly as troubled. He waves off any notion that he'd like to coach as long as LaVell, but he's the longest tenured coach in the PAC and shows no signs of fatigue.

LA Ute
08-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Monson takes over his colleague's interview with Trevor Reilly to press his own views about the rivalry game. Great fun.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150820_082015_reilly-WEB.mp3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sullyute
08-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Monson takes over his colleague's interview with Trevor Reilly to press his own views about the rivalry game. Great fun.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150820_082015_reilly-WEB.mp3

Why do you keep punishing yourself? I simply refuse to read or listen to anything that helps to keep that man employed.

tooblue
08-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Why do you keep punishing yourself? I simply refuse to read or listen to anything that helps to keep that man employed.

Because it's difficult for the fanbase to come to terms with the fact that one: the satin warriors are afraid to play the game, because of the so called "emotional toll," and two: Chris Hill comes across as petty and can accurately be accused of being a fibber ... If we are to believe the numbers:

http://utahpolicy.com/index.php/features/today-at-utah-policy/4546-poll-most-utahns-want-byu-and-utah-football-to-play-every-year

LA Ute
08-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Someone sent me the link and I did partake.

NorthwestUteFan
08-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Someone sent me the link and I did partake.

On thy belly shall thee crawl, and dust shalt thou eat for all the days of thy life...

USS Utah
08-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Maybe we could have a thread for scheduling discussions rather than add to this thread?

Devildog
08-22-2015, 03:37 PM
I detest that thread.

Have some damn pride people. Those of you posting in that thread should be ashamed of yourselves. It is shameful that the thread is the most popular on this entire site. Shameful absolutely shameful.

That thread title nailed it... I wish you all knew how to quit them too.

sancho
08-22-2015, 04:38 PM
the thread is the most popular on this entire site

That thread makes up about 5% of total posts on this board.

Scorcho
08-22-2015, 04:38 PM
tool blue keeps baiting me into responding in that thread.

I promise to better colonel

Viking
08-29-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm heading to Lincoln this week for the game. Will be at fUCLA as well. I will be at Buffalo Bill line dancing, drinking beer and begging my wife not to buy art in Cody and will miss going to Ann Arbor. I will see a couple of home games as well this year. I have low expectations for my cougars but hopefully they surprise.

LA Ute
08-29-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm heading to Lincoln this week for the game. Will be at fUCLA as well. I will be at Buffalo Bill line dancing, drinking beer and begging my wife not to buy art in Cody and will miss going to Ann Arbor. I will see a couple of home games as well this year. I have low expectations for my cougars but hopefully they surprise.

I love Cody, Wyoming. Spent lots of time there as a kid.

hostile
08-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Have fun at Buffalo Bill. My SIL/BIL live in Cody. She is on the committee for the art show. We went a couple years ago and had a great time. The auction is a blast. We picked up a moose sculpture from a BYU art grad.

Devildog
08-29-2015, 08:16 PM
That damn thread is boring as hell too. It's not even a good read.

Viking
08-30-2015, 04:26 PM
I agree with Devildog. No way should you guys be posting in that other thread. Leave that to CUF rejects like me.

Oh, wait, we all got rejected.

Still, stop posting in that thread. It's embarrassing.

Devildog
08-30-2015, 04:35 PM
I agree with Devildog. No way should you guys be posting in that other thread. Leave that to CUF rejects like me.

Oh, wait, we all got rejected.

Still, stop posting in that thread. It's embarrassing.

Viking you're alright. I've always liked your style. I get you posting over on the BYU thread even if you're not the prototypical zoobie. What gets me is that we haven't even played the Zoo in two years and it's all the elders here want to talk about on this site.

This place could and should be more... but it is dying a slow death. CUF at least had the diversity of two fanbases to discuss/argue perspective.

All this place appears to have to me is religious Utah fans, and that seems to leave out a large block of interesting perspective from our own fanbase.

It's sad and kinda pathetic.

USS Utah
08-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Perhaps its just a difference in perspective but, considering how much criticism the LDS Church gets at this site, I find the characterization of the members of this group as elders or religious Utah fans rather odd.

Devildog
08-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Perhaps its just a difference in perspective but, considering how much criticism the LDS Church gets at this site, I find the characterization of the members of this group as elders or religious Utah fans rather odd.

I am probably not following the threads you are. That may be some of the reason for our divergent points of view. I don't read any of the religion threads generally.

I mostly check in and read the football and basketball threads.

USS Utah
08-30-2015, 05:36 PM
I am probably not following the threads you are. That may be some of the reason for our divergent points of view. I don't read any of the religion threads generally.

I mostly check in and read the football and basketball threads.

Wise, but not always easy when those threads contain most of the activity in this group. At the same time, the discussion in those threads have reflected that hot button issues of recent months/years.

LA Ute
08-30-2015, 06:18 PM
This place could and should be more... but it is dying a slow death. CUF at least had the diversity of two fanbases to discuss/argue perspective.

Here's what I hope you will do, DD:

1. Stop hitting the "What's New?" button when you come here. Instead, hit "New Posts." Then pick a thread that interests you. If you hit "What's New?" you'll see the hottest threads at that moment, which right now (in the off-season) are often religion or politics, depending on the moment you come to the board. That will give you a skewed view of the board. You're not the only one who gets that impression because of the way the buttons are placed. We're trying to make some changes to fix that.

2. Subscribe to a few threads. Look for the "Thread Tools" button at the top of the page. You can be notified immediately or once daily of new posts in threads that interest you.

3. Start an interesting thread! We need some more.

4. Invite some friends to come here and do the same things. You're right, this board has lots of potential.

All this place appears to have to me is religious Utah fans, and that seems to leave out a large block of interesting perspective from our own fanbase.

I don't think that's true at all but in any case it's the last thing I personally want to see here, and I think the others who started this place (you are one of us, BTW) agree. This is a U of U board, after all; it ought to resemble the institution its members follow.

tooblue
08-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately, Devildog that other thread begat this one. Which means this thread is merely that thread, just presented differently. So, it would appear, you can't quit BYU either. I say own it ... like so many others here have.

NorthwestUteFan
08-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Devil Dog you should start a thread about taking off road 4x4 treks. I know you have great stories and pics.

U-Ute
08-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Devil Dog you should start a thread about taking off road 4x4 treks. I know you have great stories and pics.

Ooh. As someone who is new to this hobby, I'd love to hear more.

93' Cherokee. 120k miles. 3.5" lift. Working to buy some 35"x10.5" tires and wheels. I'll need to do some fender trimming. Then bumpers/armor.

Rocker Ute
08-30-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm going to call DevilDog Hillary going forward. I had a friend in high school, everything we would do she'd say, "This sucks..." But never had a suggestion for something better, her name was Hillary.

Your point is taken, I think, so now pony up and generate some sports talk. I'd like to hear more too... But there are only so many insider scoops or talking about betting lines we can do right now.

One other thing, some of the best sports posters have gravitated here... But many also seem to participate in the religious discussion. There has to be something that floats the discussion during the off-season, I'm open to other discussion ideas too. A varied community makes a better one.

Devildog
08-30-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm going to call DevilDog Hillary going forward.

That might be fun for ya, until we ever meet in real life.

Actually, I have to be nice to Rocker Ute because he hooked me up with some outstanding basketball tickets last year.

I post all that on several different 4X4 sites.

Ooh. As someone who is new to this hobby, I'd love to hear more.

93' Cherokee. 120k miles. 3.5" lift. Working to buy some 35"x10.5" tires and wheels. I'll need to do some fender trimming. Then bumpers/armor.

U-Ute check out http://www.rme4x4.com/

Anybody wanna discuss assault and precision sniper rifles? Probably about like I want to discuss religion.

tooblue
08-30-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm going to call DevilDog Hillary going forward. I had a friend in high school, everything we would do she'd say, "This sucks..." But never had a suggestion for something better, her name was Hillary.

Your point is taken, I think, so now pony up and generate some sports talk. I'd like to hear more too... But there are only so many insider scoops or talking about betting lines we can do right now.

One other thing, some of the best sports posters have gravitated here... But many also seem to participate in the religious discussion. There has to be something that floats the discussion during the off-season, I'm open to other discussion ideas too. A varied community makes a better one.

I started a bunch of threads about art, but didn't get much traction.

LA Ute
08-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Seeing on twitter that BYU is not planning on any suspensions for the Miami Beach Brawl. I don't think any other school in America would have handled it without suspensions.

Another form of repentance must have been chosen. Perhaps a bunch of players are simply on probation and must write an essay about why football should be 5th and post-game brawling only 6th?

NorthwestUteFan
08-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Another form of repentance must have been chosen. Perhaps a bunch of players are simply on probation and must write an essay about why football should be 5th and post-game brawling only 6th?

Wearing Brigham Young's name on their chests is punishment enough.

SoCalPat
09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
I love Cody, Wyoming. Spent lots of time there as a kid.

Also the hometown of none other than Mike Leach.

utefan
09-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Seeing on twitter that BYU is not planning on any suspensions for the Miami Beach Brawl. I don't think any other school in America would have handled it without suspensions.
Lucky for them they didn't have sex with their girlfriends. That would have put them out of action for a year.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Lucky for them they didn't have sex with their girlfriends. That would have put them out of action for a year.

That is only a problem if they 'slip one past the goalie'. Then everybody is required to shame both the parents-to-be...

Redbird
09-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I feel bad for Taysom. Dude can't stay healthy.

On the plus side, they have a future Heisman candidate to replace him in Mangum.

Redbird
09-05-2015, 05:19 PM
uh, damn. what an ending.

LA Ute
09-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Gotta give them credit -- they did what needed to be done and got a great road win. Too bad. Now their NC is inevitable.

Old Standing ute
09-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Ugh. Just saw the play. What was Nebraska doing?

Mike Riley an average coach at best, not sure why Nebraska wanted him.
On Hail Mary blitz from QB's right side so he has to go left & don't call time out so the O can get set & the receivers can all be rested.
And with Gonzanga & St. Mary's both idle they lead the WCC by a game.

Redbird
09-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Ugh. Just saw the play. What was Nebraska doing?

Defending the goal line. Clever execution to throw the ball ever-so-slightly short of the goal line and fall into the end zone.

The bigger head-scratcher is the god-awful play-call on 3rd down on Nebraska's last offensive drive. End-around on 3rd and 3, and BYU tackled him for a loss.

tooblue
09-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Fun game to watch. Great win, considering all of the suspensions and injuries. I am sick to my stomach sad for Taysom Hill ... Done for the season again.

tooblue
09-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Do you think he'd be the starter anyway after the back up did so well? Honest question for those who watched.

Did BYU end up suspending people? Last I heard, they were going to play?

Without question the starter. He played very well, though he ran for two touchdowns his passing was greatly improved and was the strength of his game today. Crazy thing is he broke the foot running into the endzone untouched on the second touchdown.

U-Ute
09-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Without question the starter. He played very well, though he ran for two touchdowns his passing was greatly improved and was the strength of his game today. Crazy thing is he broke the foot running into the endzone untouched on the second touchdown.

That is sad. The kid is a real talent. I'd like to see what he could do with a full season.

The universe is cruel sometimes.

LA Ute
09-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Some guys have terrible luck. Evan Moeai was injured in the first game of the season, and out for the rest of the season, for the second year in a row.

LA Ute
09-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Oh, I think you're giving them too much credit. That was a hail mary - close your eyes, chuck it as far as you can, hope for the best. There was nothing clever going on. It was rather unclever of 5 Husker DBs to freeze and watch the ball from the end zone instead of reacting to its arc.

I was surprised no one got in front of whatshisname, Mitch the BYU receiver.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2015, 10:22 PM
I was surprised no one got in front of whatshisname, Mitch the BYU receiver.

That WR is 6'5" and he caught the ball high up in the air. He made a great play and secured the ball perfectly.

LA Ute
09-05-2015, 10:28 PM
That WR is 6'5" and he caught the ball high up in the air. He made a great play and secured the ball perfectly.

Yes, but both of the Nebraska defensive backs were standing behind him. It did not appear that anyone tried to get between him and the ball.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Fun game to watch. Great win, considering all of the suspensions and injuries. I am sick to my stomach sad for Taysom Hill ... Done for the season again.

Suspensions? WhatchyootalkinaboutWillis? I think Nebraska had more players suspended than byu today. Memphis did it right and announced the suspension of 12 players 8+ months ago. BYU made Kai Nacua the John D. Lee Memorial Scapegoat, when at least 10+ others should also have been forced to sit out (Koroma, for one).

The injuries suck all around. They are perhaps even worse considering the late hits and alligator rolling and head shots that occur without a Conference to force sanctions against the team.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Yes, but both of the Nebraska defensive backs were standing behind him. It did not appear that anyone tried to get between him and the ball.

One of them was a bit late to the scene, but still had his hand in there at the point of the catch.

chrisrenrut
09-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Clever execution to throw the ball ever-so-slightly short of the goal line and fall into the end zone.

And with Gonzanga & St. Mary's both idle they lead the WCC by a game.

Two great humorous lines that deserve recognition.

Devildog
09-06-2015, 12:35 AM
I fawkin' hate the zoobs.

tooblue
09-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Suspensions? WhatchyootalkinaboutWillis? I think Nebraska had more players suspended than byu today. Memphis did it right and announced the suspension of 12 players 8+ months ago. BYU made Kai Nacua the John D. Lee Memorial Scapegoat, when at least 10+ others should also have been forced to sit out (Koroma, for one).

The injuries suck all around. They are perhaps even worse considering the late hits and alligator rolling and head shots that occur without a Conference to force sanctions against the team.

Your hyperbole and accusations could use some clarity. BYU suspended four players:

Kai Nacua
Tomasi Laulile
Trey Dye
Sione Takitaki

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2911520-155/byu-football-cougars-end-up-suspending

The following players were suspended for the first quarter:

Tuni Kanuch
Harvey Langi

As for Koroma, go back to the video of the Bowl game. He was assaulted by 4 players, one swinging his helmet. Did you expect him not to defend himself?

As for the injuries. The Nebraska punter was injured because he rolled out rugby style to kick and his own lineman pancake blocked a BYU defender into his legs. The other injury was a common low hit by a 200 pound safety (playing in the place of Nacua) on a 260 pound tight end.

And by the way, you gotta love Gionni "cheapshot" Paul ... never mind ... He regrets his actions. It's all OK now:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2911529-155/utah-football-extras-gionni-paul-regrets

utefan
09-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Your hyperbole and accusations could use some clarity. BYU suspended four players:

Kai Nacua
Tomasi Laulile
Trey Dye
Sione Takitaki

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2911520-155/byu-football-cougars-end-up-suspending

The following players were suspended for the first quarter:

Tuni Kanuch
Harvey Langi

As for Koroma, go back to the video of the Bowl game. He was assaulted by 4 players, one swinging his helmet. Did you expect him not to defend himself?

As for the injuries. The Nebraska punter was injured because he rolled out rugby style to kick and his own lineman pancake blocked a BYU defender into his legs. The other injury was a common low hit by a 200 pound safety (playing in the place of Nacua) on a 260 pound tight end.

And by the way, you gotta love Gionni "cheapshot" Paul ... never mind ... He regrets his actions. It's all OK now:

Sione Takitaki was suspended for his theft charges, right? That suspension had nothing to do with the fight.

I don't know about the others you listed, but at least that one was a bit deceiving to list when talking about suspensions from the fight.

Rocker Ute
09-06-2015, 08:08 AM
That might be fun for ya, until we ever meet in real life.

You know I'm messing with you...

Hot Lunch
09-06-2015, 08:29 AM

LOL. Common low hit that well after the ball went sailing over the Tight Ends head. That hit was cheap and dirty. Doesn't surprise me that you tried to play it off as "common".

UtahsMrSports
09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
LOL. Common low hit that well after the ball went sailing over the Tight Ends head. That hit was cheap and dirty. Doesn't surprise me that you tried to play it off as "common".

Tooblue also exaggerates the suspensions as Harvey Langi played the whole game. Not only do I remember him playing in the first quarter, but blue boy's own linked article doesnt mention him, though it mentions the other guys partial suspension.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2015, 09:05 AM
I was just telling my byu friends that Hill couldn't run as much this year or he would end up hurt. He's basically their version of RGIII, though he at least seems like he wants to throw. Unfortunate that he got his season cut short.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2015, 10:06 AM

You talking about this one? Sure they tend to put a halo around the QB near the sideline, but Paul already had his hands on the QB before his foot went out of bounds.

https://needthatcar.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/img_3451.jpg

Compare that to this 'common hit'. It is only considered a common hit if you follow Bronco's teams.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/COKt2eiXAAAcOR6.mp4

USS Utah
09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
You talking about this one? Sure they tend to put a halo around the QB near the sideline, but Paul already had his hands on the QB before his foot went out of bounds.

Compare that to this 'common hit'. It is only considered a common hit if you follow Bronco's teams.

There was nothing close or questionable about that late hit. You've got to know where you are on the field and the situation. The QB was near the sideline and nowhere near the first down marker. The hit was dumb and inexcusable, and handed Michigan a TD.

concerned
09-06-2015, 11:53 AM
I am speculating that Hill's injury is really going to screw up the Y's qb succession plan. If Mangum is any good this year, he is not going to go back to the bench if Hill gets a medical redshirt. And the Y cant reinvest in Hill given his injury proneness. Since Mangum is already 22 or so (Jameis Winston's contemporary), he is going to have to bolt soon if he wants a pro career. I would have guessed that he would only have played two years anyway, now those two years will be this year and next year if he is any good. If he is great this year, maybe he even goes now. And if he gets married this year, there is no reason to stay.

BTW I thought Hill looked great passing the ball yesterday (except for the interception). He has improved as a passer 100% or more. Stayed in the pocket, found his receivers and hit them in stride most of the time. It really really is too bad for him.

And since he worked as a investment banker this summer, I suspect he is ready to move on.

tooblue
09-06-2015, 12:02 PM

It happens several times a game, not just on defence but 300 pound Nebraska linemen cutting the knees of a 190 pound corner, which was flagged and then picked up because it was a LEGAL block.

I get it lunch, you played so obviously you know everything.

tooblue
09-06-2015, 12:03 PM

He was flagged twice ... The camera's caught Whitingham chiding him on the sideline saying "twice now!" or something to that effect—maybe a little more colourfully.

tooblue
09-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Tooblue also exaggerates the suspensions as Harvey Langi played the whole game. Not only do I remember him playing in the first quarter, but blue boy's own linked article doesnt mention him, though it mentions the other guys partial suspension.

He didn't start. Watched the game.

concerned
09-06-2015, 12:08 PM
He didn't start. Watch the game.

But he missed the tackle on Neb.'s first touchdown. Wasn't that in the 1st q? He didn't miss much, if anything.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2015, 12:27 PM
He didn't start. Watch the game.

But he missed the tackle on Neb.'s first touchdown. Wasn't that in the 1st q? He didn't miss much, if anything.

He didn't start because Nebraska deferred to the second half, duh!

tooblue
09-06-2015, 12:34 PM

The reports I read said Leuta-Douyere started, then moved to outside linebacker when he came in the game. I didn't see him on the field until the second quarter.

concerned
09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
The reports I read said Leuta-Douyere started, then moved to outside linebacker when he came in the game. I didn't see him on the field until the second quarter.

Nebraska scored two touchdowns in the 1st q. On the first TD, No. 21 whiffed on the tackle at the 10, where the receiver bounced off him and ran the opposite way and into the end zone. The more I think about it, didn't Neb. score on its first drive?

UtahsMrSports
09-06-2015, 12:51 PM
He didn't start. Watched the game.

Im going to help you out, my memory challenged friend.....

Go to youtube.com
Search byu nebraska game highlights big ten network
Watch the very first game clip
Unless you guys have another "21" then you are mistaken.

Its ok, we forgive blunders like this around here.

Brian
09-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I guess he was allowed to play as long as he didn't tackle anyone. BroncoPunishment.

Loved Bronco running around the field like a div 2 coach getting a big upset.

Went up to visit my daughter for the long weekend, and we went to the Missouri game. Two guys behind us saw the final score on the board and said "looks like Nebraska isn't very good".

tooblue
09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I guess he was allowed to play as long as he didn't tackle anyone. BroncoPunishment.

lol

tooblue
09-06-2015, 01:13 PM
http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/the-scene-byu-utah-rivalry-brims-in-lincoln-too/article_a17b6dcf-1ce3-5d7b-a4ec-006d78c83566.html

Chet Albanese was among thousands of Utahns who traveled to Lincoln for Saturday’s BYU-Nebraska football game. A big fan, the 41-year-old Albanese stood outside the BYU team bus Friday as players and coaches left to go through their walk-through. They did a double-take when they saw Albanese wearing a red Utah Utes hat and shirt. One perplexed coach asked why he was there. “To watch you lose,” was the stern, flat response Albanense offered.

tooblue
09-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Im going to help you out, my memory challenged friend.....

Go to youtube.com
Search byu nebraska game highlights big ten network
Watch the very first game clip
Unless you guys have another "21" then you are mistaken.

Its ok, we forgive blunders like this around here.

Then I missed him. But of course there were suspensions, as opposed to the hyperbole spouted here that there were none.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2015, 01:28 PM

This just earned me some looks from the whole Teacher's quorum. Probably time to pay attention to these poor kids trying to teach the lesson.

Viking
09-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Greatest game I've ever attended (including the Miracle Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Miami, and various epic wins against you guys).

Tyler Mangum was pretty incredible. I feely so terribly for Taysom Hill. I have been a vocal critic of Bronco but his locker room speech about Taysom evoked some mist to these old eyes of mine.

Too bad we aren't playing each other this year. It would be an epic battle.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Good Lord. The number changes year to year, but the technique stays the same.

https://twitter.com/utebuntu/status/640604837881581568

Viking
09-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Good Lord. The number changes year to year, but the technique stays the same.

https://twitter.com/utebuntu/status/640604837881581568

These are biased observations. My best friend started at DL for BYU all four years of his college career and claimed no team was dirtier than Utah. You hate us. We hate you. It is what it is.

Viking
09-06-2015, 03:07 PM
It's likely that we meet in the Vegas bowl.

That would be fun. I'm sure we are equally capable of compiling damning video evidence against our respective rivals.

Like this: https://youtu.be/M-xHCITb2WM

UtahsMrSports
09-06-2015, 03:30 PM
That would be fun. I'm sure we are equally capable of compiling damning video evidence against our respective rivals.

Like this: https://youtu.be/M-xHCITb2WM

Lol. Yeah, a guy dropping a ball too early is comparable to a guy trying to end someones season.......

tooblue
09-06-2015, 03:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/252/byu-cougars

Rocker Ute
09-06-2015, 04:40 PM
The gator roll was bad, the shot to the knee injured the guy. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know, but BYU has developed a reputation for this stuff and Bronco touts playing at the edge of the rules. These do nothing to help that reputation.

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2015, 04:44 PM
And without a conference affiliation to enforce punishments they have no reason to stop all the bullshit.

concerned
09-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I've said it before. I think Robert Anae is quite good. He's lost starting QBs a couple times now, and his teams don't really suffer for it. That tells me it's about the system more than the people. When they made him the scapegoat and fired him, I thought they were nuts. They are lucky he agreed to come back.

I agree. I thought GFGO was a huge mistake, and a gimmick. But I have been impressed with Anae both times he has lost Hill--with Stewart last year and Mangum yesterday. I expect their passing offense to excel this year. It has already started with Hill yesterday--a completely different offense than the running offense with Hill last year. That is the mark of a good coach. He is going to overcome the loss of Hill and Jamal.

LA Ute
09-06-2015, 07:27 PM
This is interesting to watch:https://vine.co/v/eTEpM2WQYid

tooblue
09-06-2015, 07:45 PM
This is interesting to watch:https://vine.co/v/eTEpM2WQYid

Looks similar to the sack at the 9:08 mark in the video below ... and similar to the one at the 9:16 mark where the defender dives at the QB's knee, then hangs on as he does an alligator roll. But I guess Whitingham learned how to teach that technique from his time spent at BYU. So, you have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nhdt_UoU2k

tooblue
09-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Looks similar to the sack at the 9:08 mark in the video below ... and similar to the one at the 9:16 mark where the defender dives at the QB's knee, then hangs on as he does an alligator roll. But I guess Whitingham learned how to teach that technique from his time spent at BYU. So, you have that.

Wait, I bet he's pre-med and he's just checking that knee for lateral stability. He obviously had to dive at the QB cause he was uncooperative, and too big for a linebacker to tackle at the waist.

LA Ute
09-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Wait, I bet he's pre-med and he's just checking that knee for lateral stability. He obviously had to dive at the QB cause he was uncooperative, and too big for a linebacker to tackle at the waist.

Doesn't look similar at all to me. But if it is as you say, I hope the Utah player was spoken to after the game. I hope the BYU player was too. I don't think it's OK just because our rival does it. I'm guessing you don't either.

LA Ute
09-06-2015, 08:20 PM
And this:

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kDsP0GuZgMTO4uKM9l-2jc2Yzfc=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4033266/cheapbyu.0.gif

It looks like the BYU player sees the miss and the ball bounce in front of him before he rolls into the Nebraska player and ends his season. I hope the BYU guy at least sends his victim flowers in the hospital.

UtahsMrSports
09-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Lol!!!!!!Youd have to have Shawn Bradleys wingspan to stretchas far as you are in that argument!

Viking
09-07-2015, 04:10 AM
So you guys waltz into the Big House, beat UM, are in the P12 and all you can talk about here is cheap shots from BYU???

You guys need to take a deep breath, heed Devil Dog's advice, and just walk away from this thread.

The confirmation bias involved in posting "cheap shot" videos of one's rival is staggering. "See, there's a VINE showing how dirty BYU plays! I knew they were dirty! They have no conference to regulate their dirty play!" LOL.

Oh, this was interesting. Man, the Utes are cheap shot artists! I knew it!

https://youtu.be/tPsekTY4aR8

tooblue
09-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Lol!!!!!!Youd have to have Shawn Bradleys wingspan to stretchas far as you are in that argument!

In the first one, he wrenches the QB's leg and flips his foot in the air after a full alligator role. Of course, I guess he's just being playful like Paul's playful forearm shiver to the back of the head of the Michigan player. In the second one, why dive at the knee? Why roll on the ground hanging onto the leg, wrenching it while he rolls, when the QB is clearly down on his belly?

I think the bigger issue is, despite beating the fighting Harbaughs and all of the hyperbole surrounding the favoured son's return to Michigan, BYU dominated the headlines for the opening weekend of college football. It's still front page news this morning. No matter what he does, little brother just can't get out from behind the shadow of big brother.

Hot Lunch
09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
In the first one, he wrenches the QB's leg and flips his foot in the air after a full alligator role. Of course, I guess he's just being playful like Paul's playful forearm shiver to the back of the head of the Michigan player. In the second one, why dive at the knee? Why roll on the ground hanging onto the leg, wrenching it while he rolls, when the QB is clearly down on his belly?

I think the bigger issue is, despite beating the fighting Harbaughs and all of the hyperbole surrounding the favoured son's return to Michigan, BYU dominated the headlines for the opening weekend of college football. It's still front page news this morning. No matter what he does, little brother just can't get out from behind the shadow of big brother.

You dominated the headlines after the beach brawl as well. Not all headlines are good when it comes to you guys.

My advice to you big brother is to stop being that loser older brother who has to hang out with his little brother and his friends because your own friends can't stand you. It also doesn't look good on you that your little brother continues to beat your ass at everything that is relevant now a days.

U-Ute
09-07-2015, 08:35 AM
As far as game week pranks go, this one is pretty damn good.

https://twitter.com/dianaallen/status/640646053448974336

tooblue
09-07-2015, 09:05 AM
You dominated the headlines after the beach brawl as well. Not all headlines are good when it comes to you guys.

My advice to you big brother is to stop being that loser older brother who has to hang out with his little brother and his friends because your own friends can't stand you. It also doesn't look good on you that your little brother continues to beat your ass at everything that is relevant now a days.

lol the big "popular" football player got his feelings hurt. I've got a big brother here too, so I get the dynamic. It's hard when the only thing relevant to happen in the state of Utah or coming from the state of Utah, football wise, were these two things:

tooblue
09-07-2015, 09:07 AM
And I read that Utah banned the Harbaugh bus from being on campus lol:

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/michigan-big-ten/utah-forbade-fox-sports-jim-harbaugh-themed-bus-from-coming-on-campus

Hot Lunch
09-07-2015, 09:20 AM
lol the big "popular" football player got his feelings hurt. I've got a big brother here too, so I get the dynamic. It's hard when the only thing relevant to happen in the state of Utah or coming from the state of Utah, football wise, were these two things:

My feelings aren't hurt. It takes much more than that. I just don't mind calling someone out when they are a total jackass like yourself. Carry on though. Whatever it is you are doing and trying to prove is entertaining no matter how stupid you look while doing so.

NorthwestUteFan
09-07-2015, 09:20 AM
And I read that Utah banned the Harbaugh bus from being on campus lol:

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/michigan-big-ten/utah-forbade-fox-sports-jim-harbaugh-themed-bus-from-coming-on-campus

Yes, that was a good thing. Whitt played a solid trump card with that move.

Fuck Fox Sports and the Harbaugh hype. My Michigan friends were embarrassed by that, and the tOSU friends wont stop nagging them for it.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Yes, that was a good thing. Whitt played a solid trump card with that move.

Fuck Fox Sports and the Harbaugh hype. My Michigan friends were embarrassed by that, and the tOSU friends wont stop nagging them for it.

The article said Whit and Hill had nothing to do with it. The whole Harbaugh thing was/is beyond ridiculous. It's going to go on all season long.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 09:40 AM
My feelings aren't hurt. It takes much more than that. I just don't mind calling someone out when they are a total jackass like yourself. Carry on though. Whatever it is you are doing and trying to prove is entertaining no matter how stupid you look while doing so.

This is a Utah sports message board, with a crazy active thread about BYU! Much of the content here is mean spirited, for no other reason than that—to be mean spirited. If I'm a jackass, I'm in damb good company.

And I've said it before. I am a college football fan first. Despite the fact I am bigger BYU fan than Utah fan, I prefer the company of Utes. Generally, Utes are more pleasant and sports knowledgeable, this thread excepted.

Hot Lunch
09-07-2015, 09:56 AM
This is a Utah sports message board, with a crazy active thread about BYU! Much of the content here is mean spirited, for no other reason than that—to be mean spirited. If I'm a jackass, I'm in damb good company.

And I've said it before. I am a college football fan first. Despite the fact I am bigger BYU fan than Utah fan, I prefer the company of Utes. Generally, Utes are more pleasant and sports knowledgeable, this thread excepted.

I hope you realize that you are the one driving this.

Yes, I agree with you that Utah fans are more sports knowledgeable than BYU fans.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 10:01 AM
I hope you realize that you are the one driving this.

Yes, I agree with you that Utah fans are more sports knowledgeable than BYU fans.

I didn't start the thread. There were many mean spirited posts here before I ever posted in it. I'm not driving anything. That's on the Ute fans here.

Rocker Ute
09-07-2015, 10:27 AM

Two questions:

1. Are you really serious thinking either of those tackles are similar? Even so, if there was intent to injure or end the career of an opponent then yes I have a problem with it.

2. Regardless, are you really okay and defending gator rolls and going for opponents knees?

I don't care who it is, when or what I don't like any of that crap. I didn't like when Chris Kemeoatu kicked people in the pile and I sure as hell don't defend that sort of stuff. I don't like when Gionni Paul has a late hit against Mich. QB and not just because it resulted in a new set of downs and a TD, but because I don't like cheap shots. I won't defend Marshall Henderson swinging at Emery, or Drca kicking an opponent either. It all needs to be done away with and is stupid. And doing things that result in game/season/career ending injuries takes it to a new level.

So I just don't get the defense of it by fans or coaches, it is times like that where it is time to step back from your fandom a bit and realize what exactly it is that you are defending.

utefan
09-07-2015, 10:28 AM
I didn't start the thread. There were many mean spirited posts here before I ever posted in it. I'm not driving anything. That's on the Ute fans here.
You mean Ute fans don't like BYU? Genius!

I'm sure there are plenty of threads about Utah over on the BYU board. Much more than the 1 BYU thread here.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Two questions:

1. Are you really serious thinking either of those tackles are similar? Even so, if there was intent to injure or end the career of an opponent then yes I have a problem with it.

2. Regardless, are you really okay and defending gator rolls and going for opponents knees?

I don't care who it is, when or what I don't like any of that crap. I didn't like when Chris Kemeoatu kicked people in the pile and I sure as hell don't defend that sort of stuff. I don't like when Gionni Paul has a late hit against Mich. QB and not just because it resulted in a new set of downs and a TD, but because I don't like cheap shots. I won't defend Marshall Henderson swinging at Emery, or Drca kicking an opponent either. It all needs to be done away with and is stupid. And doing things that result in game/season/career ending injuries takes it to a new level.

So I just don't get the defense of it by fans or coaches, it is times like that where it is time to step back from your fandom a bit and realize what exactly it is that you are defending.

The videos are unquestionably equatable. There is no intent to injure on the part of #90, who is already in a half roll, then fully rolls to his belly to get up. If he was really intent on injuring the QB all 280 pounds of him would've done just that. Take your own advice about fandom a bit, and recognize how common the alligator roll is across the board.

I defended the dive at the knees only as being an unfortunate part of football. The sideline official, on the field of play, didn't flag it, so there must have been clarity in his mind that it was a football play. Is it cheap? Arguably, yes. As much as Paul's late hit and fore arm shiver in the Utah game.

These plays happen frequently in every game. Should it be a part of game? I don't think cut blocks should be allowed period, but diving at the knees is what happens, just as your LB in the clip I posted inexplicably, not needing to, dove at the CSU QB's knees ... then rolled and hung on for dear life, even though the QB was clearly on the ground.

But it's your fandom that asserts, if it's my guy it just happens and is "clean." If it's a BYU guy, it's dirty for no other reason than he is a BYU guy.

USS Utah
09-07-2015, 11:22 AM

tooblue
09-07-2015, 11:27 AM

I get it. BYU is bad, evil, terrible ... all those things. Poor Travis Tuiloma. He should just know that his knees are fair game, and it's a part of football, but everything else is just evil BYU doing evil things to others.

UtahsMrSports
09-07-2015, 11:39 AM
I get it. BYU is bad, evil, terrible ... all those things. Poor Travis Tuiloma. He should just know that his knees are fair game, and it's a part of football, but everything else is just evil BYU doing evil things to others.

Yawn.....youve reached moose whistle levels od trolling here. Get some new matrrial.

USS Utah
09-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I get it.

No, you don't. That was directed at my fellow Ute fans.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 11:43 AM
No, you don't. That was directed at my fellow Ute fans.

Sorry to misunderstand.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Yawn.....youve reached moose whistle levels od trolling here. Get some new matrrial.

I don't think you are paying attention. LOL, Here you go ... Hey, I'd love to watch the Utah game this week. Is it on tv? Is the vaunted PAC 12 network on Direct tv yet? Of course, along with ALL of America I got the watch the BYU v Nebraska game at 3:30 this past Saturday!

hostile
09-07-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't think you are paying attention. LOL, Here you go ... Hey, I'd love to watch the Utah game this week. Is it on tv? Is the vaunted PAC 12 network on Direct tv yet? Of course, along with ALL of America I got the watch the BYU v Nebraska game at 3:30 this past Saturday!
ESPN2. I think they get that channel in Canada.

LA Ute
09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
So you guys waltz into the Big House, beat UM, are in the P12 and all you can talk about here is cheap shots from BYU???

You guys need to take a deep breath, heed Devil Dog's advice, and just walk away from this thread.

The confirmation bias involved in posting "cheap shot" videos of one's rival is staggering. "See, there's a VINE showing how dirty BYU plays! I knew they were dirty! They have no conference to regulate their dirty play!" LOL.

Oh, this was interesting. Man, the Utes are cheap shot artists! I knew it!

https://youtu.be/tPsekTY4aR8

I hate you, Viking. Just had to get that off my chest. :Evil:

tooblue
09-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Good interview with Tanner Mangum. He talks about his mission etc. For those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=531&v=NHLIGe9CJhE

LA Ute
09-07-2015, 02:37 PM
He is something of an anomaly. He is the first quarterback to come directly to BYU out of high school since before Max Hall. Max and all his successors went to another school first, then on a mission, then transferred to BYU. Recruiting seems to be improving!

Damage U
09-07-2015, 03:18 PM
He and his dad came into work before his mission. He seemed very level headed and not cocky. His dad knew some of the doctors I worked with at the U.

tooblue
09-07-2015, 03:47 PM
He is something of an anomaly. He is the first quarterback to come directly to BYU out of high school since before Max Hall. Max and all his successors went to another school first, then on a mission, then transferred to BYU. Recruiting seems to be improving!

You forgot Jake Heaps ... I wish I were so lucky.

Rocker Ute
09-07-2015, 04:10 PM
The videos are unquestionably equatable. There is no intent to injure on the part of #90, who is already in a half roll, then fully rolls to his belly to get up. If he was really intent on injuring the QB all 280 pounds of him would've done just that. Take your own advice about fandom a bit, and recognize how common the alligator roll is across the board.

I defended the dive at the knees only as being an unfortunate part of football. The sideline official, on the field of play, didn't flag it, so there must have been clarity in his mind that it was a football play. Is it cheap? Arguably, yes. As much as Paul's late hit and fore arm shiver in the Utah game.

These plays happen frequently in every game. Should it be a part of game? I don't think cut blocks should be allowed period, but diving at the knees is what happens, just as your LB in the clip I posted inexplicably, not needing to, dove at the CSU QB's knees ... then rolled and hung on for dear life, even though the QB was clearly on the ground.

But it's your fandom that asserts, if it's my guy it just happens and is "clean." If it's a BYU guy, it's dirty for no other reason than he is a BYU guy.

Since you evaded the questions and made assertions that weren't true (right after I said I didn't condone any dirty play) we'll assume you are just trolling.

Just keep in mind it isn't just Utah that thinks BYU is dirty.

LA Ute
09-07-2015, 04:43 PM
He and his dad came into work before his mission. He seemed very level headed and not cocky. His dad knew some of the doctors I worked with at the U.

Mangum seems to be a good guy and a class act. I didn't hear any "living right" boasting or beer-pouring allegations or other drivel. So far, so good. I still hope we sack him 10 times next fall.

scottie
09-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Mangum seems to be a good guy and a class act. I didn't hear any "living right" boasting or beer-pouring allegations or other drivel. So far, so good. I still hope we sack him 10 times next fall.

Saw this on FB right after the game:

Tanner Mangum for president man. Unbelievable way to start the season. Blessings from serving a mission.

LA Ute
09-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Well, at least Mangum isn't saying it.

Hey, if Chase Hansen beats BYU next year, will that be a blessing from serving a mission?

Damage U
09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Its early. He just got back. Give the zoob zealots time to infect him.

How do they explain Jimmy Mac, Stevie Young and even Sark?

Hey, if Chase Hansen beats BYU next year, will that be a blessing from serving a mission?

That'll be because Bronco doesn't get up for the game against little bro.

SoCalPat
09-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Here's what bothers me about the whole "BYU is dirty" line of thought. I don't think there's any question that BYU toes the line when it comes to aggressiveness. I also don't think that's much different than any other pro or college football team. There is an inherent risk of injury that every player takes when playing any sport. That sixth sense is not limited to just yourself, but to your opponent as well, and that if you cross that line, you're liable to get some form of payback. We see that in every sport, and it's how players police the game.

I am completely baffled as to how the majority of such plays involving BYU puts the BYU player as the aggressor. I am familiar with one cheap shot delivered to a BYU player -- the Nevada D-lineman who ended a BYU O-lineman's season with a low hit. I'm surprised there's not more. "BYU puts our players at risk with cheap shots!" to me is not an acceptable reason for not playing them. Maybe our players/the opposition isn't doing enough to ensure BYU stops doing it. Until that happens, BYU will keep doing what it's doing.

LA Ute
09-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Here's what bothers me about the whole "BYU is dirty" line of thought. I don't think there's any question that BYU toes the line when it comes to aggressiveness. I also don't think that's much different than any other pro or college football team. There is an inherent risk of injury that every player takes when playing any sport. That sixth sense is not limited to just yourself, but to your opponent as well, and that if you cross that line, you're liable to get some form of payback. We see that in every sport, and it's how players police the game.

I am completely baffled as to how the majority of such plays involving BYU puts the BYU player as the aggressor. I am familiar with one cheap shot delivered to a BYU player -- the Nevada D-lineman who ended a BYU O-lineman's season with a low hit. I'm surprised there's not more. "BYU puts our players at risk with cheap shots!" to me is not an acceptable reason for not playing them. Maybe our players/the opposition isn't doing enough to ensure BYU stops doing it. Until that happens, BYU will keep doing what it's doing.

Of all the reasons for not playing (and there are more than a few) I think dirty play is at the bottom of the list.

Rocker Ute
09-08-2015, 01:03 PM

The Miami Beach Bowl Brawl might disagree with this. Regardless of who 'started it' those weren't two team with mutual respect for each other.

I'll admit I don't watch much BYU football and when I do it is more in passing or moving on to something else, but it does seem like when I do watch things always seem to be a little chippy from both sides. The Utah game I expect it, but it seems to be pretty consistent on their end. I personally don't chalk it up to anti-Mormonism as some BYU fans do.

USS Utah
09-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Overnight rating for the Michigan @ Utah game and the BYU @ Nebraska game:

Fox Sports 1, drew a 2.1 overnight for Michigan/Utah -- an all time record for the network.

The BYU/Nebraska college football game drew a 2.0 overnight rating on ABC Saturday afternoon.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/09/college-football-ratings-espn-fs1-michigan-utah-overnights/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/09/college-football-ratings-abc-byu-nebraska-espn-tamu-asu-nascar-xfinity-nbc/

LA Ute
09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Overnight rating for the Michigan @ Utah game and the BYU @ Nebraska game:

Fox Sports 1, drew a 2.1 overnight for Michigan/Utah -- an all time record for the network.

The BYU/Nebraska college football game drew a 2.0 overnight rating on ABC Saturday afternoon.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/09/college-football-ratings-espn-fs1-michigan-utah-overnights/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/09/college-football-ratings-abc-byu-nebraska-espn-tamu-asu-nascar-xfinity-nbc/

[insert flamethrower emoticon here]

LA Ute
09-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Utah football: Linebacker Gionni Paul understands Taysom Hill’s pain, hopes to speak with BYU QB

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865636366/Utah-football-Linebacker-Gionni-Paul-understands-Taysom-Hill7s-pain-hopes-to-speak-with-BYU-QB.html?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com

Katy Lied
09-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Michigan-Utah 1.7 Rating, 2.868 Million viewers, the only game in its time slot
Nebraska-BYU 1.9 Rating, 3.134 Million viewers, one of 5 games in its time slot.

Same source, correctly filtered:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

NorthwestUteFan
09-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi Katie Kate! Luv ya, wish you would post here more often.

The TCU-Minnesota (2.68M viewers) game was on at the same time as Utah-Michigan, as well as a few NFL games. But this is a silly argument anyhow.

1.8M watched Teen Mom II at the same time. 2.1M watched Project Runway. 1.9M watched High School Musical 3, and 2.1M watched Mountain Men on History Channel at the same time.

Hell, 8.2M watched a rerun of Big Bang Theory and rolled into Big Brother in the sane time slot...

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Nebraska-BYU 1.9 Rating, 3.134 Million viewers, one of 5 games in its time slot.

I'm not surprised. Hey, even I was watching the BYU game -- or parts of it. It was the first Saturday of college football. We still have better-looking fan gear. And a louder stadium. And a better view from our stadium. And we'd have a better board than we do if you'd post here more often.

chrisrenrut
09-12-2015, 11:58 AM
. . .We still have better-looking fan gear. . .

I disagree with this. I'm amazed each time I go to the bookstore how underwhelmed I am with the quality of the offerings. Tons of stuff to choose from, in varying shades of red, with very little that looks good to me. I wish we were a Nike or Adidas school instead of Under Armour.

TV ratings smack is lame.

Scorcho
09-12-2015, 12:09 PM

so because the Utah-Michigan game started at 8:30 PM ET (on limited cable station FS1) and the TCU-Minnesota game started at 9 pm ET (on ESPN) they aren't in the same time slot?

Oh okay? That's brilliant.

Do they think these are 22 minute sitcoms?

Redbird
09-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I disagree with this. I'm amazed each time I go to the bookstore how underwhelmed I am with the quality of the offerings. Tons of stuff to choose from, in varying shades of red, with very little that looks good to me. I wish we were a Nike or Adidas school instead of Under Armour.

TV ratings smack is lame.

I love Adidas for soccer, but their football offerings are gaudy. And I know it's only because they have so many schools, but it feels so generic to see 50+ schools with the same style of polo/t-shirt/hat. Uniforms usually have more to them, but the last three years of being a nike school we had really cheap jerseys with a Miami stripe.

That said, I hate how so much UA gear is an "athletic" cut. Unless you're in amazing shape or under the age of 24, you can't wear most of that stuff unless you're working out or doing yard work.

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I love Adidas for soccer, but their football offerings are gaudy. And I know it's only because they have so many schools, but it feels so generic to see 50+ schools with the same style of polo/t-shirt/hat. Uniforms usually have more to them, but the last three years of being a nike school we had really cheap jerseys with a Miami stripe.

That said, I hate how so much UA gear is an "athletic" cut. Unless you're in amazing shape or under the age of 24, you can't wear most of that stuff unless you're working out or doing yard work.

I buy UA workout shirts in the "Loose" size, which fits normally. I think they realized they were limiting their market. You might try those.

BTW, I failed to mention that our stadium is prettier. Beautiful sandstone beats battleship gray.

USS Utah
09-12-2015, 02:22 PM
BTW, I failed to mention that our stadium is prettier. Beautiful sandstone beats battleship gray.

U-Ute
09-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Nickname idea: The Dirty Brothers.

Viking
09-12-2015, 03:57 PM
God love you guys. Gator rolls, viewership smack...please, for the love of Kingsbury Hall, heed Devil Dog and worry not about thine older brother. #DDamericanbadass

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 04:19 PM
God love you guys. Gator rolls, viewership smack...please, for the love of Kingsbury Hall, heed Devil Dog and worry not about thine older brother. #DDamericanbadass

FTR, most of us are making fun of TV ratings smack.

USS Utah
09-12-2015, 05:45 PM

We could go with attendance smack instead, as BYU's home crowds get smaller due to independence.

U-Ute
09-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Viking: you need to understand something. This thread is the bait that keeps the BYU fans from trolling all of the other threads.

We need to chum the waters every now and again.

Rocker Ute
09-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Junk-punching for Jesus: http://youtu.be/58UJWIFxihE

I'm excited to hear how this was:

1. Incidental contact (which coincides with my favorite honor code defense);
2. Pretty common in college football these days;
3. There is no such thing as a junk-punch in a brawl;
4. Utah players junk-punch all the time, according to a friend who goes to school at the U and hates it;
5. The junk-punch didn't actually happen.

chrisrenrut
09-12-2015, 10:26 PM
http://youtu.be/58UJWIFxihE

That is hilarious. Unlike Tooblue claims, I'm in Canada and can't find the BYU game on any channel. Was he ejected for throwing a punch?

Redbird
09-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Tanner Mangum probably has a bright career ahead of him, but in a small sample size he's Riley Nelson.

Also, BYU's secondary shows great technique signaling incomplete pass after every pass play, even if the pass may have been completed.

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 11:09 PM
LOL after that last BYU TD drive. Sometimes it really does look like they get heavenly help. Boise State did everything possible to gift them that touchdown.

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 11:32 PM
I can hear it now: Miracle Mangum!!! Heisman here he comes!!

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 11:35 PM
And Killer Ky Nacua of bowl game brawl fame ices the game!!! Karma, baby!!

Viking
09-12-2015, 11:51 PM
And Killer Ky Nacua of bowl game brawl fame ices the game!!! Karma, baby!!

BYU won. It was a great game. No Cougar stayed up as late as I did to watch my team win. What a game. BYU!!!!

LA Ute
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
BYU won. It was a great game. No Cougar stayed up as late as I did to watch my team win. What a game. BYU!!!!

It was a good win. They outplayed BSU, whose fans must be rightly ticked off at them.

Viking
09-13-2015, 12:46 AM
it was a good win. They outplayed bsu, whose fans must be rightly ticked off at them.

byu! Byu! Byu!

U-Ute
09-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Tanner Mangum probably has a bright career ahead of him, but in a small sample size he's Riley Nelson.

Also, BYU's secondary shows great technique signaling incomplete pass after every pass play, even if the pass may have been completed.

Not quite. This Mangum kid can fling it. His most impressive throw to me was his first one in that game.

Riley was tough but couldn't really throw it.

Disclaimer: I have only seen the highlights. It is quite possible he has done some dumb things I haven't seen.

Redbird
09-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Not quite. This Mangum kid can fling it. His most impressive throw to me was his first one in that game.

Riley was tough but couldn't really throw it.

Disclaimer: I have only seen the highlights. It is quite possible he has done some dumb things I haven't seen.

Mangum is a better QB, but Nelson got (and kept) the job by throwing these long, low-percentage throws that were somehow caught.

BYU's current offensive performance is unsustainable.

U-Ute
09-13-2015, 08:02 AM
It seems to me that teams may be underestimating his arm strength because he is a freshman. Like that Notre Dame kid yesterday. It is unbelievable how far he threw that off his back foot.

Teams will adjust. It'll be interesting to see if he can decipher the underneath coverage when that happens.

justaute
09-13-2015, 08:49 AM
yup...that's one thing Utah's opponents won't have to adjust...Utah throwing the long-ball. haha

SoCalPat
09-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Mangum is a better QB, but Nelson got (and kept) the job by throwing these long, low-percentage throws that were somehow caught.

BYU's current offensive performance is unsustainable.

Mangum is averaging 10.8 YPA in about 1.5 games. The college QBs who have averaged that for an entire season is a who's who of Heisman winners/finalists and high NFL draft picks. Since 2010, the list is as such: Cam Newton, Kellen Moore, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Aaron Murray, Jameis Winston, Bryce Petty, Zach Mettenberger and Marcus Mariota. Right now, 16 QBs are averaging 10.0 YPA, so your "unsustainable" point is pretty much spot on -- unless Mangum turns out to be a Heisman finalist or goes in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft next April.

Redbird
09-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Mangum is averaging 10.8 YPA in about 1.5 games. The college QBs who have averaged that for an entire season is a who's who of Heisman winners/finalists and high NFL draft picks. Since 2010, the list is as such: Cam Newton, Kellen Moore, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Aaron Murray, Jameis Winston, Bryce Petty, Zach Mettenberger and Marcus Mariota. Right now, 16 QBs are averaging 10.0 YPA, so your "unsustainable" point is pretty much spot on -- unless Mangum turns out to be a Heisman finalist or goes in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft next April.

And of those 16, eleven have a higher comp% than Mangum's 61.5.

Kessler and Goff have a very good chance of sustaining their 10+ YPA. Seth Russell from Baylor has an outside shot. And Jeff Driskel at LaTech is a darkhorse.

U-Ute
09-13-2015, 10:48 AM
yup...that's one thing Utah's opponents won't have to adjust...Utah throwing the long-ball. haha

Or even throwing the ball at all until TW returns.

LA Ute
09-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Or even throwing the ball at all until TW returns.

Maybe we will dial up some trick plays -- Kendal to Covey to a downfield receiver. Or a Statue of Liberty play. How about on a punt? Can Hackett throw the ball pretty well?

Devildog
09-13-2015, 02:07 PM
I know everyone has already seen it. I'm just leaving it here for reference later.

https://vine.co/v/eFgJvvtYXOn

LA Ute
09-13-2015, 07:02 PM
This is surely evidence of anti-Mormon bias on the Washington Post's part:

A BYU player punched a Boise State player in a very sensitive area

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/09/13/a-byu-player-punched-a-boise-state-player-in-a-very-sensitive-area/

Scratch
09-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I know everyone has already seen it. I'm just leaving it here for reference later.

https://vine.co/v/eFgJvvtYXOn

When they wear their special uniforms later this year, Lapuaho's jersey better say "tradition."

SeattleUte
09-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I knew I had quit them when I found myself pulling for BYU last night. I honestly on the merits thought BYU would win, because Boise is overrated and they were playing at BYU and intangibles carrying over form the Nebraska win. So, I picked BYU to win in a big OfficePool in which my wife and I participate. BYU needed to win for her to win this week's competition and I was delighted when it won.

I'm now reminded that last season after we beat BYU we had ever reason to root for BYU all season after that, especially when it played Gonzaga. And I did so.

U-Ute
09-14-2015, 10:35 AM
For those who know ColoUte....

U-Ute
09-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Shortsighted in both cases. Long term, it's always better for us if BYU loses.

I understand you on this.

Plus, I'll never understand the Boise hate.

Simple: they keep beating us. Yes, it is when we are down, have a one armed QB, etc. But still.

Solon
09-14-2015, 11:06 AM
I understand you on this.

Simple: they keep beating us. Yes, it is when we are down, have a one armed QB, etc. But still.

I'm still scarred from the 1998 defensive meltdown that allowed Boise to go 99 yards in the last 90 seconds or so for the win. I still remember Phil Glover looking totally lost in that last possession.

wally
09-14-2015, 12:06 PM
for those who know coloute....

lol!

Viking
09-14-2015, 12:43 PM
The gator rolls, etc.,: meh, and i think you guys should chill on the obsessing over America's Team, but that was an embarrassingly cheap shot. Kid should sit out two games, maybe more.

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2015, 01:02 PM
i think you guys should chill on the obsessing over America's Team,

WTF are you talking about? We aren't discussing the Patriots here...

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 02:36 PM
lol!

I hate this thread. The entire point of the other thread is so we don't have freaking BYU proliferation on this board. And now, because of this thread complaining about the other thread, we have BYU proliferation on this board. Just stop it.

You want to talk BYU, put it in the other thread. It's our litter box. We can't stop the process, but we can contain it.

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Senioritis;60186]I hate this thread. The entire point of the other thread is so we don't have freaking BYU proliferation on this board. And now, because of this thread complaining about the other thread, we have BYU proliferation on this board. Just stop it.

You want to talk BYU, put it in the other thread. It's our litter box. We can't stop the process, but we can

I agree. I vote for a merge. For those who are embarrassed that we talk about our rival sometimes, we can delete/erase/reset that thread every year or every month to make it look shorter. Personally, I don't care how long it is. It seems to really give tooblue a great deal of joy, and he probably could use all the joy he can get up there.

I certainly don't mind the BYU talk. They are part of our DNA. The whole point of the thread is that, like it or not, we are in varying degrees of obsession with them, and that one thread lets us put all our obsession in one place.

Who cares how long the thread is? It's obsession. It's not quantifiable. It is legion.

And who in their right mind would give two shiznits about what tooblue says about anything? He is the walking personification of someone who needs to have a big glass of shut the hell up.

Viking
09-14-2015, 03:31 PM
WTF are you talking about? We aren't discussing the Patriots here...

It took espn over three decades, but they finally got it right.

LDS Church = America's religion
BYU = LDS Church's university
BYU football= BYU's team

Therefore, BYU = America's Team.

wally
09-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I hate this thread. The entire point of the other thread is so we don't have freaking BYU proliferation on this board. And now, because of this thread complaining about the other thread, we have BYU proliferation on this board. Just stop it.

You want to talk BYU, put it in the other thread. It's our litter box. We can't stop the process, but we can contain it.

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have posted that "lol!"

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2015, 04:09 PM
LOL. They are on the verge of bankruptcy and they tried something this crazy? No wonder all the rats are leaving that sinking ship... :D

Devildog
09-14-2015, 04:19 PM

That other thread is a disgrace. It's long and boring and anyone reading here sees that it is by far the most viewed on the site. Weak and lame for a Utah sports forum.

I wish you could contain it also. They are not in my DNA, I can't even bring myself to post in that turd of a thread.

I wish there was an ignore button for the thread.

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Damn. I knew I shouldn't have posted that "lol!"

Stop! You're making it worse!!!

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 04:26 PM
That other thread is a disgrace. It's long and boring and anyone reading here sees that it is by far the most viewed on the site. Weak and lame for a Utah sports forum.

I wish you could contain it also. They are not in my DNA, I can't even bring myself to post in that turd of a thread.

I wish there was an ignore button for the thread.

You have two posts in this thread that clearly belong in the other thread. The obsession is strong and shadowy. It overtakes even the strongest. Fight it, embrace it, ignore it, whatever. But for the love of Bill Marcroft, allow it to be contained.

LA Ute
09-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Just putting this here so it's readily available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=18&v=6IqMwCE-FcM

Devildog
09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
You have two posts in this thread that clearly belong in the other thread. The obsession is strong and shadowy. It overtakes even the strongest. Fight it, embrace it, ignore it, whatever. But for the love of Bill Marcroft, allow it to be contained.

Out of respect for you. I defer... and post again in this piece of shit thread.

Ma'ake
09-14-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm in detox from anything to do with BYU - I heartily recommend it, by the way - but I saw Devildog as the last poster in this thread and had to look.

Regarding Senioritis using the holy name of Bill Marcroft: I propose an uplifting, Utah sports corollary to Godwin's Law, but instead of losing the argument when you bring up Hitler with Godwin's Law, with the Bill Marcroft Law, anytime anyone uses Bill's good name, the point is sanctified, and no challenge of the point should be brought forward.

Example: "In the name of Bill Marcroft, I wish people would stop slamming our offensive coordinators". It's like the nuclear option in the Senate, it shouldn't be used very often, but when his holy name is mentioned, the resulting tidal wave of reverence, and Marcroft's unquestioned, unrelenting positivity about Utah sports should render all contention moot.

If Marcroft could be that upbeat and enthusiastic about our Utes throughout the Utah sports equivalent of the Great Depression, who are we to be whining about things today? Debating and arguing are good endeavors, but if somebody employs the Bill Marcroft Law, it's time to get a grip and muster some optimism.

utefan
09-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Shortsighted in both cases. Long term, it's always better for us if BYU loses.

Plus, I'll never understand the Boise hate.
Well Boise's current running back was originally a Utah commit but later changed to Boise.

We're recruiting against them probably even more than we are recruiting against BYU. Boise doesn't have that ridiculous honor code to overcome.

They're a small time operation trying to pretend they're big time, but they're recruiting from practically in our back yard.

Viking
09-15-2015, 08:44 PM
CUF and UB5 are like an old divorced couple that figured out that they should have stayed married, but only far too late in life. They even trash each other openly amongst common friends.

LA Ute
09-15-2015, 08:48 PM
CUF and UB5 are like an old divorced couple that figured out that they should have stayed married, but only far too late in life. They even trash each other openly amongst common friends.

Hey, we're just talking about our rival, not any message board. That said, it's hard to see why the CS folks would be mad at us. They're the ones who made this board necessary.

USS Utah
09-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Not as far as I am concerned. I never fit in at CUF, but I sort of fit in here.

U-Ute
09-18-2015, 03:22 PM
NCAA Investigating God for Improper Contributions to BYU Victories
(http://thesalutatorian.com/ncaa-investigating-god-for-improper-contributions-to-byu-victories/)

God, as he has done for all of Tim Tebow’s prayers, has remained silent on the accusations, but investigators are now looking into recent news that injured Cougars quarterback Tayson Hill has gained the ability to fly and make locusts swarm defensive backs.

:rofl:

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 01:07 PM
I made one of my occasional visits to Cougarstadium just now and saw that they've devoted much of an entire thread to quoting our posts here. We have fans!!!

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 07:11 AM
All rivalry smack aside, I think I they are good this year. Mangum looks like a special player.

SoCalPat
09-20-2015, 06:32 PM
BYU took a page out of Kyle's playbook, choosing a kick a FG up 3 to go up 6 late. You've heard it before from me, but the absolute worst lead you should settle/strive for in CFB late in a game is 6 points. Running on 3rd and 5 inside the 20 ain't the worst thing to do in the world, but you're doing it because you've already made up your mind that if you gain any yardage at all, you're going for it.

Going up 10 at that point pretty much guarantees victory. Going up 6 just ensures your opponent will have an extra down to extend their drive, and if they score, you're probably going to lose. Failing to make it on 4th down -- you're still up 3, and most coaches are so conservative that if the 3 is in reach, they won't do anything to jeopardize it. The reward for a successful 4th down try far outweighs the risk here. BYU got just what it deserved by playing so conservatively on the road.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Yep. The running call on 3rd and 5 right before the kick, after going like 4 for 4 on 3rd down throws on that drive alone, was classic Anae, the same one that wanted to settle for a winning field goal in Salt Lake a few years back. Didn't work either time.

Viking
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but in another sense, BYU continued to get what it didn't deserve. They didn't really deserve to beat Nebraska or Boise, but they won. They did outplay UCLA, and they lost.

I wonder what the percentages are on the decision you are talking about.

Did you watch all of BYU v Neb and BYU v. BSU? And BYU v. fUCLA?

Viking
09-20-2015, 08:38 PM
BYU took a page out of Kyle's playbook, choosing a kick a FG up 3 to go up 6 late. You've heard it before from me, but the absolute worst lead you should settle/strive for in CFB late in a game is 6 points. Running on 3rd and 5 inside the 20 ain't the worst thing to do in the world, but you're doing it because you've already made up your mind that if you gain any yardage at all, you're going for it.

Going up 10 at that point pretty much guarantees victory. Going up 6 just ensures your opponent will have an extra down to extend their drive, and if they score, you're probably going to lose. Failing to make it on 4th down -- you're still up 3, and most coaches are so conservative that if the 3 is in reach, they won't do anything to jeopardize it. The reward for a successful 4th down try far outweighs the risk here. BYU got just what it deserved by playing so conservatively on the road.

You are correct, sir. I'm not a big critic of Anae but I think he should have relied more on Mangum than some 5'10" kid who can't run the ball named "Nate" on 3rd down. Samson was solid all night and we have height advantage at WR against nearly any team we have played or will. I couldn't believe we weren't rolling Mangum out to the right side more and letting him improvise. That would have been the perfect moment. Oh well.

That said, this is a DAMN GOOD BYU team and if you deny that, well, you're either stupid or you're just a dick. I haven't been this excited about Cougar football in a LONG time.

Viking
09-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Actually, I watched 0 minutes total. I was just going off the box scores, the miracle finishes, and the general feel I was getting from fan reactions. I take it you disagree? You think UCLA deserved the win? The UCLA box score favors BYU in time of possession and turnovers. I am surprised UCLA was able to rush for 300 but only pass for 100. Usually with BYU, you expect the opposite.

We deserved to win against UCLA. Damn fine effort from the boys in blue. But we lost. We're out of the NC picture. But by god, we'll whoop your Ute asses if we get the chance.

Look, I don't opine on your team because I don't watch their games. Why would I? Utah football is revolting (I'm an admitted fan of Ute basketball but I can't stand the football team). If you don't watch our games, how do you know who really "deserved" to win?

Nebraska: they lost to a kid who hadn't played ball in years and was two years off his mission in Chile. If you lose to that, define "deserve" por favor.
BSU: the kid had a game and a quarter to his name. Defense was solid all night. It's BSU and they are over-rated. I'm not sure it was a quality win as BSU is a glorified JUCO, similar to another school in Utah.
UCLA: we made Rosen look like the frosh he is. Vulnerable. We lost the game in the first half (3 points from 3 TOs+onside KO). Deserve means jack squat in football. What matters is the W-L. We deserved it, but we lost and that's all that matters.

Scorcho
09-20-2015, 09:29 PM
I've seen 3 BYU plays this year, the 2 hail mary's and Magnum hitting a wide open Miles Jack.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 09:52 PM
I couldn't believe we weren't rolling Mangum out to the right side more and letting him improvise. That would have been the perfect moment. Oh well.

I think the reason may be that opposing teams like UCLA have watched Mangum on film and are denying him that roll to the right. He's only played -- what? -- 10-11 quarters of D1 college football. He'll have to broaden his game. I think the kid is special and so I'm sure he will.

SoCalPat
09-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but in another sense, BYU continued to get what it didn't deserve. They didn't really deserve to beat Nebraska or Boise, but they won. They did outplay UCLA, and they lost.

I wonder what the percentages are on the decision you are talking about.

This percentages are pretty close, as there's no box score out there that has time remaining included in the play-by-play. So I'm estimating in spots.

With BYU kicking the FG:

With 6 minutes left, facing 3rd and 5 from the UCLA 16, BYU's likelihood of winning stood at 83 percent.

With 5:39 left, facing 4th and 3 from the UCLA 14, BYU's likelihood of winning dipped to 79 percent.

Trailing by 6, first and 10 from its own 20, UCLA had a 19 percent chance of winning.

Had BYU gone for it on fourth down:

If BYU gets a first down, giving it first and 10 from the UCLA 11 with 5:39 left, it's going to win 95 percent of the time.

Assuming BYU gets stuffed for no gain, giving UCLA first and 10 from its own 14, down 3 with 5:39 left, it's going to win 27 percent of the time.

The percentages here make a clear case for BYU going for it. You're 3 yards from essentially a lock victory, yet you're still a nearly a 3-to-1 favorite to win if you don't convert the 4th down. I would say your odds of getting 3 yards here are far greater than 3-to-1, and probably 50-50.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I'd love for someone to make a GIF of Mitch Matthews prancing out of the end zone on BYU's last touchdown. Made me think that he probably more open to giving dream massages than Mangum is.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/20/98fc25868cfedd9dd453037e20f9f184.jpg

chrisrenrut
09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
This is too funny. At least one BYU fan still has a sense of humor.

https://youtu.be/M-LwSp4Upos

concerned
09-28-2015, 02:39 PM
apparently there are limits to my schadenfraude after all: rumor is Harvey Langi tore his acl. Honestly I feel really bad for him. Didn't he miss a game early? He ought to qualify for a medical redshirt if he wants to.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
apparently there are limits to my schadenfraude after all: rumor is Harvey Langi tore his acl. Honestly I feel really bad for him. Didn't he miss a game early? He ought to qualify for a medical redshirt if he wants to.

He isn't eligible unless they changed something. You can't compete in more than 2 games or 20% of the schedule and remain eligible.

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2015, 03:32 PM

I feel bad watching a talent like him waste away at BYU where he isn't being coached with the nfl in mind. No doubt in my mind he would reach a higher level at Utah, but alas, #BYUExperience

He also has played in all four of their games, so a medical redshirt is unlikely.

LA Ute
09-28-2015, 03:54 PM

I agree. He's a good kid and I'm sorry that happened to him.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-28-2015, 04:06 PM

I think this rumor is false. Apparently Bronco mentioned a LB out for the season with a torn ACL, but the name was Amone or something. The other rumor was that Hine broke his ankle, but that doesn't seem to be true either.

Devildog
09-28-2015, 04:21 PM
That said, this is a DAMN GOOD BYU team and if you deny that, well, you're either stupid or you're just a dick. I haven't been this excited about Cougar football in a LONG time.

But by god, we'll whoop your Ute asses if we get the chance.

Meh. I'm not too impressed. Utah would destroy TDS. Same shit every year.

NorthwestUteFan
09-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Meh. I'm not too impressed. Utah would destroy TDS. Same shit every year.

Wouldn't even be close after midway through the third quarter. But I still want a better bowl game than the Veg.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
But by god, we'll whoop your Ute asses if we get the chance

Is this you?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/28/63784760423dc66dd2fae7fe99bf93ac.jpg

LA Ute
09-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Is this you?

Well, we know he means it.

U-Ute
09-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Well, we know he means it.

Nothing adds credibility to a statement like conviction.

Diehard Ute
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Talking to some BYU fans, one with a lot of connections to players and the Poly community in general, the belief is bronco needs to go.

As one put it "if we want to have a good football program we can't have a coach who believes football is the 5th priority". He also touched on the complete lack of relation to alumni. It was an interesting chat.

SoCalPat
09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Talking to some BYU fans, one with a lot of connections to players and the Poly community in general, the belief is bronco needs to go.

As one put it "if we want to have a good football program we can't have a coach who believes football is the 5th priority". He also touched on the complete lack of relation to alumni. It was an interesting chat.

The same thing was said after the Sugar Bowl -- the Poly community hated Bronco, football isn't a strong enough priority, etc. Never take anything a BYU fan has to say about Bronco seriously when Utah is riding high -- they're just as manic-obsessive about Utah's on-field results as anyone.

Bronco ain't going anywhere unless he has back-to-back losing seasons or there are major issues with the Honor Code. Now, that's not to say he couldn't get away ahead of the posse and take another job, but I've heard too many stories about the imminent demise of Bronco Mendenhall to believe another one.

Scratch
09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
That's more or less impossible as an independent. He basically has a lifetime contract (or at least a contract that lasts until BYU enters the Big12, whichever comes first).

BYU could easily miss a bowl game next year.

U-Ute
09-29-2015, 06:05 PM

The problem is that I don't believe the priority in this is being set by Bronco. I believe this is coming down from the administration or the church.

Unfortunately for the hard core BYU fans this also means Bronco won't be fired since he is doing things they way his bosses want him to. He may get sick of it and quit at some point though.

Damage U
09-29-2015, 09:41 PM

The thing with a lot of BYU fans is that if they stand next a player in line at Hogi Yogi they have close connections to the team.

Diehard Ute
09-30-2015, 01:12 AM
The thing with a lot of BYU fans is that if they stand next a player in line at Hogi Yogi they have close connections to the team.

This one has legit connections.

U-Ute
09-30-2015, 08:43 AM
BYU highlight video vs Michigan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-LwSp4Upos

U-Ute
10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
An interview of some BYU fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j646kHEPFxc&feature=youtu.be

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 08:09 AM
I saw this on UteNation (Facebook). Pure gold. The purest of the pure.

I can't shake the thought that this must be a troll. If it is, he's a good one. If it's not, and this is a serious post, then....

concerned
10-02-2015, 08:29 AM
I saw this on UteNation (Facebook). Pure gold. The purest of the pure.

I can't shake the thought that this must be a troll. If it is, he's a good one. If it's not, and this is a serious post, then....

When I read that on Cougarboard, I had the same reaction. I couldn't decide if he was serious or he was satirizing BYU fans. Could go either way.

U-Ute
10-02-2015, 08:44 AM
My feeling is that the Nephites need another 50 years of humbling to correct for their attitude since 1984.

I'm more than willing to let my Utes fill that role.

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 08:53 AM
My feeling is that the Nephites need another 50 years of humbling to correct for their attitude since 1984.

Damage U
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Only 50 years? The Nephites must be seriously getting taken out behind the wood shed if the good Lord allows only 50 years.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Good grief.

https://vine.co/v/eQ3rTMvu6PZ

chrisrenrut
10-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Good grief.

That seemed pretty tame. Probably targeting by the letter of the rule, but he seemed to pull up when he saw the ball had been thrown. The quarterback barely went down.

Damage U
10-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Probably a make-up call for all the ones that didn't get called. ;)

UBlender
10-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Probably a make-up call for all the ones that didn't get called. ;)

That was my thought. They have a reputation now.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 11:00 AM
That seemed pretty tame. Probably targeting by the letter of the rule, but he seemed to pull up when he saw the ball had been thrown. The quarterback barely went down.

I was struck by the casual premeditation of it. "OK, just let me plant my feet and whack your head with my helmet."

Ma'ake
10-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Pretty minor blow, but it was clearly a head butt. Ejection warranted, based on intent, in my opinion. We need to all hope concussions go down, markedly.

SoCalPat
10-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Pretty minor blow, but it was clearly a head butt. Ejection warranted, based on intent, in my opinion. We need to all hope concussions go down, markedly.

Disagree. This is good ammo for those who claim the rules go too far. I'm in agreement with those who say it was made on BYU's rep for playing dirty, but this is a horrible call.

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Perhaps, but a few more lawsuits over concussions is all we need to transform the game at all levels into 2-hand touch.

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Disagree. This is good ammo for those who claim the rules go too far. I'm in agreement with those who say it was made on BYU's rep for playing dirty, but this is a horrible call.

The hit was minor but it was brazen and deliberate. Watch again:

I do agree the ref was probably watching for it because of the Cougars' reputation.

Brian
10-05-2015, 12:09 PM
how early in the game was this?
It could be a tone setter call by the refs.

Brian
10-05-2015, 12:17 PM
It's a letter of the law ejection. Clear helmet to chin. He should be ejected just for being stupid.

And, so fitting for the Pharisaically obsessed boys in blue.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-05-2015, 12:40 PM
And, so fitting for the Pharisaically obsessed boys in blue.

It was a great compliment for all the BYU commentary of comeuppance during the Memphis-SFU game the night before.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Greg Wrubell ‏@gregwrubell (https://twitter.com/gregwrubell) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/651102690353655809)
Bronco was asked about recruitment of fmr Timpview HS star Britain Covey: "I would say we were in the mix. It was not a position of need."

SoCalPat
10-05-2015, 12:51 PM
The hit was minor but it was brazen and deliberate. Watch again:

I do agree the ref was probably watching for it because of the Cougars' reputation.

The shove on Britain Covey after we duped the Ducks on the punt return was more damaging than this. Sorry, not buying it. Shoe on the other foot, we would be livid.

Two Utes
10-05-2015, 12:56 PM
The shove on Britain Covey after we duped the Ducks on the punt return was more damaging than this. Sorry, not buying it. Shoe on the other foot, we would be livid.

I agree with Pat.

wally
10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Greg Wrubell ‏@gregwrubell (https://twitter.com/gregwrubell) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/651102690353655809)
Bronco was asked about recruitment of fmr Timpview HS star Britain Covey: "I would say we were in the mix. It was not a position of need."

Why would Greg even ask this question at the presser? If someone asked KWhitt about how hard he tried to get Harvey Langi to stay a Ute, I would expect that reporter to be carrying his head under his arm out of the press conference.

BTW, this brings up my worst fear RE: Covey; that he ends up with a Ute Mission President that wants him to help guide him through post-mission life decisions. I will put a pin in this thought for post-season discussion.

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Low-class, even if true.

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 01:45 PM

Not saying it was damaging, it was brazen, and that's why the ref called it.